Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 36
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 2:46:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By cap6888:
I’ve been struggling the past six months with my weight lost.  After retiring I hit 267.  That floored me.  So I started working out 4 days a week and watching my diet.  Just trying to cut out shitty foods (fried foods, sweets, etc.) Eating mostly veggies, eggs, meat.  Greek yogurt and blueberries is a phenomenal snack and really helps bump up my protein. I have not cut out pasta (I am Italian, it would be heresy), and I use a high fiber bread since I had diverticulitis.  Between last Memorial Day and December I lost 25 pounds.  Felt great and was making good progress.  I have since stalled. The only change is that my arthritis is my knee has become extremely painful (I am now bone on bone). That has severely limited my cardio.  Not that I was doing any super aggressive cardio, but I’m limited to walking with NO incline on the treadmill. 5 months of no progress is killing me.  I still feel great, still love going to the gym.  I have cut my calories (from 2000 to 1800), but still no progress.  

I need to make a radical change. I am wondering if this is it.  Would be very tough to cut out veggies and fruits. Also would need to figure out how to adjust my breakfast. I make a wrap with turkey and eggs, which is easy to eat on the road on the way into work.  Can anyone recommend a good article or you tube vid to outline the ins and outs of this?
View Quote

Couple suggestions:
Scramble the eggs, wrap in sliced plain (check carefully for no added sugars) deli turkey, hold it together with *very little* cream cheese.  Wrap and eat from a thin disposable sandwich bag on the road, or give yourself another five minutes to eat at home.

I really like vegetables and fruits, but if I am eating enough animal fat I don't crave them at all.  Variations of ketovore and ketogenic diet might also be helpful for weight loss.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 3:38:18 PM EDT
[#2]
When people say how much weight they lost over a certain amount of time, I wish they’d also say what their starting weight was.  Losing 20 pounds in 2 months starting at 220 is a night and day difference from losing 20 pounds in 2 months starting from 320.

Though I do understand that some people aren’t comfortable posting their starting weight.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 4:16:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Hunter-Killer:
When people say how much weight they lost over a certain amount of time, I wish they’d also say what their starting weight was.  Losing 20 pounds in 2 months starting at 220 is a night and day difference from losing 20 pounds in 2 months starting from 320.

Though I do understand that some people aren’t comfortable posting their starting weight.
View Quote

I got you H-K

3.25.24: started carnivore, 240lbs
5.4.24:  212lbs

28lbs so far
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 4:28:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By StarCityShooter:

I got you H-K

28lbs so far
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I got you H-K

28lbs so far

I appreciate the exact date. That one post cracked me up where the guy said “I started about a month ago… or maybe it was 6 weeks ago… I dunno, I don’t track stuff.”
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 6:38:17 PM EDT
[#5]
While it’s not feasible on the weekdays, on the weekends I sometimes like to cook fried eggs in bacon grease on the lowest possible heat setting.  It takes a LOT longer, but the trade off is it results in the best fried eggs I’ve ever had.

If you have the time, you might consider giving it a try.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 7:46:45 PM EDT
[#6]

View Quote

In seven weeks from 174 to 156.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 7:48:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the suggestions.  The Egglife wraps are something I will look into.  

As far as my knee, I am just prolonging the inevitable with the gel shots I just started getting.  Hopefully I will have enough time off next year to get the surgery done.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 8:24:10 PM EDT
[#8]

View Quote

8 weeks in.  Started at 248 down to 225.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 9:47:12 AM EDT
[#9]
By the way if you like yogurt but dont like all the extra carbs check out Icelandic Skyr yogurt.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 10:20:24 AM EDT
[#10]
When people say how much weight they lost over a certain amount of time, I wish they'd also say what their starting weight was.  Losing 20 pounds in 2 months starting at 220 is a night and day difference from losing 20 pounds in 2 months starting from 320.

Though I do understand that some people aren't comfortable posting their starting weight.
View Quote
You are correct. I'm just embarrassed and ashamed.
March 11, 2024 335.
This morning 295.
8 weeks.
However, now I am pumped and I have this thread to thank.

Link Posted: 5/6/2024 10:34:33 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Thugbuster:
You are correct. I'm just embarrassed and ashamed.
March 11, 2024 335.
This morning 295.
8 weeks.
However, now I am pumped and I have this thread to thank.

View Quote

Great job!  Good for you.  Keep going and you will continue to feel better.  Both physically and mentally.  

When you find that all your old clothes don't fit and have to go buy new ones at a different size, it just puts a smile on your face.

That's an awesome achievement!

Link Posted: 5/6/2024 11:19:54 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Eitek1:
My wife and I were having a discussion this morning and wanted to get the opinion of others here.

We've both lost about 25 pounds but we are both at weights We've spent significant time at before. But, at these same weights, our body composition seems to be significantly different. It's like we are built differently than we were before.

Anyone else think they are just built "differently" after doing this a while? I think it's because 100% of the weight I've lost is fat and I've put on muscle in the mean time. My wife thinks the same.

With traditional "diets", I think a caloric deficit leads to muscle loss. I think this does the opposite.
View Quote

Traditional diet being typical garbage mostly junk food diet?

If you're at a considerable caloric deficit, then quality of your diet is much more crucial for the composition of your weight loss.  If you're not getting enough protein than you your body will break down skeletal muscle for needed amino acids.  That will certainly happen at a significant caloric deficit with your typical American mostly junk food diet.  Losing 100% fat and putting on muscle at the same time is real wishful thinking.  Newbies to weight training?  PEDs?

Helpful tip: at a significant caloric deficit, supplementing with EAAs will help preserve muscle.  They taste like ass, but it's cheap in bulk.  I get from bulksupplements.com which you can get from Amazon.  There's also flavored EAA drinks.

Link Posted: 5/6/2024 11:46:55 AM EDT
[#13]
Started January 2023 ~276

6'1"

Today ~ 189

Eating beef and salt with the occasional egg and goat or sheep milk cheese (maybe twice a month)
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 12:06:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Lucky-Charm:

6'1"

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/310667/IMG_2850-3206923-3206926.jpg

Today ~ 189

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/310667/IMG_5567-3206922.jpg

Eating beef and salt with the occasional egg and goat or sheep milk cheese (maybe twice a month)
View Quote

Congrats!  Well done.  Eating 95%+ beef and salt isn’t easy.

Though whenever I see a “before and after” comparison, it always reminds me of this.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 12:47:37 PM EDT
[#15]

View Quote
Started the year at 215ish.

Currently stalled at 198.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 5:25:51 PM EDT
[#16]

Though whenever I see a “before and after” comparison, it always reminds me of this.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/258158/IMG_8446_jpeg-3206948.JPG
View Quote

After about 6 months it's very easy, almost to easy.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 6:20:14 PM EDT
[#17]

View All Quotes

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/258158/IMG_8446_jpeg-3206948.JPG

Dinner would be easy for me.  However, not being able to have eggs, bacon, and sausage for breakfast would be tough.  
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 10:07:23 PM EDT
[#18]

6'1"

Today ~ 189

View Quote
Way to go!!!
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 7:30:25 AM EDT
[#19]

6'1"

Today ~ 189

View Quote

Plus you hit the Arf 87 in there
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 9:42:44 AM EDT
[#20]
SW 255 ish, could have been as high as 260 with water retention.

CW 228 and dropping.  (Was as low as 220, travel for work with social activities involving a couple weeks of standard diet, and limited opportunity for exercise screwed things up.  Back on the bandwagon.)

About halfway to GW of 190 ish, based on where I think muscle growth, body fat, and measured overall health indicators shake out.

Link Posted: 5/7/2024 9:50:21 AM EDT
[#21]
Big moment for me 299.9 pounds this morning.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 10:42:43 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Bogdan:
View Quote

Great work!
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 1:01:22 PM EDT
[#23]
View Quote

That's awesome!

Keep it up!
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 4:49:05 PM EDT
[#24]
View Quote
Welcome to the club!

Link Posted: 5/7/2024 4:57:45 PM EDT
[#25]
Why Paul Saladino Stopped The Carnivore Diet After 2 Years

thoughts?

This popped up in my YT subs after reading most of the thread.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 10:20:25 PM EDT
[#26]
I did this back in 2018 and went from 240 down to 215. I’m 5’10 with broad shoulders and a barren type torso so I carry weight pretty well.

I started back up over 2 weeks ago. I cut sugar, carbs, and caffeine with it.

About 50 carbs a day. I’m supplementing with magnesium, Vit D, and a probiotic.

Starting weight was 242. I’m not weighing myself for 30 days. Last time I got too hung up on progress.

I can say that I’m sleeping better, less bloat, more constant energy levels, and my pants are starting to get looser.

Based on the sleep and energy levels alone it’s worth it.

I had labs done last week. Found my vit d is still low and my ALT is 62. Down from 80 in 2018. Im hoping if I lose the weight I’ll get down into normal levels so here goes.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 9:09:23 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Flashover343:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stc62YKYlLc

thoughts?

This popped up in my YT subs after reading most of the thread.
View Quote

Almost each and every diet worked well for me. Do you know why? Almost invariably they all involved restrictions for me which involved me only cooking my own food at home and not getting drive through science projects.
You know which diet didnt work for me? Straight up caloric restriction because I was still eating dog shit.
As I age and my auto immune disorder takes more and more from me (psoriatic arthritis) I notice that cutting out grains and starchy vegetables makes a big difference to me.
When you boil it down you wind up eating meat and veggies that are good for you, and almost always you wind up cooking your own food free of mystery chemicals at home.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 9:10:39 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By DTFD714:
I did this back in 2018 and went from 240 down to 215. I’m 5’10 with broad shoulders and a barren type torso so I carry weight pretty well.

I started back up over 2 weeks ago. I cut sugar, carbs, and caffeine with it.

About 50 carbs a day. I’m supplementing with magnesium, Vit D, and a probiotic.

Starting weight was 242. I’m not weighing myself for 30 days. Last time I got too hung up on progress.

I can say that I’m sleeping better, less bloat, more constant energy levels, and my pants are starting to get looser.

Based on the sleep and energy levels alone it’s worth it.

I had labs done last week. Found my vit d is still low and my ALT is 62. Down from 80 in 2018. Im hoping if I lose the weight I’ll get down into normal levels so here goes.
View Quote

Oh yeah there is also the blood labs. I have to get blood tests done monthly almost. Guess what? Eating clean improves just about everything on my bloodwork markers.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 9:23:12 AM EDT
[#29]
Started on January 1st. Stayed pretty hardcore for 4 months.

Lately have relaxed a little on the diet but still probably 90-95% carnivore.

As of this morning I'm down 30lbs.

Other than the diet I started doing pushups daily. Began at 5 a day. Up to 70 a day now. I also do 15 minutes on the elliptical a day, and drink one gallon of water a day. I recover on the weekends.

Link Posted: 5/8/2024 7:02:00 PM EDT
[#30]
I'm not strict 100 percent carnivore, but I got a lot out of this thread.

I started at 196 lbs 7 weeks ago and now am sitting at 159 lbs.  I'm 6'1

I fast everyday.  5 days a week I'm OMAD and on weekends I'm 18/6 with two meals. I like to shock my body that way. Some suggest a 5-1-1, where one day you eat three meals a day.   I have done a couple 72 hour fasts.

My one meal a day meals during the week consists of the carnivore diet.  Beef, eggs, butter, salt.

On my weekend two a day meals, I've added some fruit.  Blueberries, blackberries, raspberries and bananas in a protein smoothie with honey.

Link Posted: 5/8/2024 7:09:07 PM EDT
[#31]
Egglife wraps are a game changer if you're a sandwich person.  I take two wraps and use them like bread.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 12:43:45 PM EDT
[#32]
Is there any reason to think an electrolyte supplement mixed in water would be diminished if it was in the freezer for a couple of weeks?

I was thinking about putting a concentrated amount in a popsicle mold and seeing how they turn out.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/9/2024 12:47:21 PM EDT
[#33]
Is there any reason to think an electrolyte supplement mixed in water would be diminished if it was in the freezer for a couple of weeks?

I was thinking about putting a concentrated amount in a popsicle mold and seeing how they turn out.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/258158/IMG_8502_jpeg-3209586.JPG
View Quote

You trying to make like a desert/treat out of the flavored ones?

Link Posted: 5/9/2024 1:00:17 PM EDT
[#34]

View All Quotes

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/258158/IMG_8502_jpeg-3209586.JPG

Yeah, the ones I use taste reasonably good.  Surprisingly sweet too.

Of course, some of that is probably due to the fact that it is the only thing I’ve consumed in a while that wasn’t meat, eggs, cheese, butter, ghee, salt, or plain water.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 7:51:19 AM EDT
[#35]
Changed up my routine a little this week and stopped having breakfast sausage before work.

Dropped a few pounds, to 195.

Gonna try this for another week or so to see if it makes any more of a difference.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 8:39:01 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Hill_monkey:
Changed up my routine a little this week and stopped having breakfast sausage before work.

Dropped a few pounds, to 195.

Gonna try this for another week or so to see if it makes any more of a difference.
View Quote

What kind of breakfast sausage?

The vast majority of breakfast sausage sold in grocery stores, unfortunately, has sugar in it.  It was somewhat of a surprising challenge for me to find one that was sugar free.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 11:04:01 AM EDT
[#37]

What kind of breakfast sausage?

The vast majority of breakfast sausage sold in grocery stores, unfortunately, has sugar in it.  It was somewhat of a surprising challenge for me to find one that was sugar free.
View Quote
Around here, Bob Evans sausage roll has the least amount of junk in it and ingredients say no sugar.

My butcher usually makes some but it's not always easy to get a hold of.

I found skipping a meal is not the end of the world, like I used to think it was.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 11:42:30 AM EDT
[#38]
My doctor has been urging me to give up grains (which I did in 1984), sugar (also 1984), dairy (hard) and artificial sweeteners (also hard.). She also said that carnivore diet is unhealthy if a 1/3 of my consumption isn't organ meats. I tried chicken hearts which taste ok but the texture was nasty. I could eat them however.

Are there any recipes, diet plans or books you recommend?

My biggest challenge is coffee. I miss it without cream. I have tried coconut cream but it is starting to gag me. Oh no eggs either. I gave up everything Monday and I do feel like my stomach is getting better.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 1:19:56 PM EDT
[#39]

Around here, Bob Evans sausage roll has the least amount of junk in it and ingredients say no sugar.

I found skipping a meal is not the end of the world, like I used to think it was.
View Quote

When I started intermittent fasting, I didn't think I could do it.  I started by skipping breakfast and only eating lunch and dinner/supper.

After a few days I realized that I was only eating breakfast out of habit, I wasn't really hungry.  And after a few more days I realized that I was only eating lunch out of habit as well and could easily go into the evening hours without eating.  I work a job that requires physical labor (electrician) and I don't find any fatigue during the day just drinking water and water with electrolytes.

After a few weeks of OneMealADay, the pounds come shredding off.

Link Posted: 5/10/2024 10:35:28 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By QueenDeNile:
My doctor has been urging me to give up grains (which I did in 1984), sugar (also 1984), dairy (hard) and artificial sweeteners (also hard.). She also said that carnivore diet is unhealthy if a 1/3 of my consumption isn't organ meats. I tried chicken hearts which taste ok but the texture was nasty. I could eat them however.

Are there any recipes, diet plans or books you recommend?

My biggest challenge is coffee. I miss it without cream. I have tried coconut cream but it is starting to gag me. Oh no eggs either. I gave up everything Monday and I do feel like my stomach is getting better.
View Quote

Your doctor is misinformed like most... 1/3 organ meat doesn't even make sense.

I could see making that argument if 1/3 of a ruminant animal organs  meat but clearly it's not. How did we ever evolve as a species.

I haven't eaten any organ meat in nearly a year and a half and am doing just fine.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 7:50:36 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By Explorer225:
Egglife wraps are a game changer if you're a sandwich person.  I take two wraps and use them like bread.
View Quote

They also work pretty good as lasagna noodles. A few weeks ago I made two 9x9 pans. I ate one and froze the other. Ate the frozen one this week. They held up well. Not strictly carnivore because I used some Rao’s sauce (not as much as I wanted but just enough to give the flavor). It was still good though.

For wraps I’ve tried the regular and the everything bagel. I did not like the everything bagel ones at all. The regular were “good.” I say good as in… they aren’t something I would just sit around and eat on their own. They aren’t appealing on their own. But they also get out of the way so they can be used for something like a sandwich and not get in the way. They’re really not a bad option to have on occasion… for me at least.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 8:11:20 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By Kanin:

When I started intermittent fasting, I didn't think I could do it.  I started by skipping breakfast and only eating lunch and dinner/supper.

After a few days I realized that I was only eating breakfast out of habit, I wasn't really hungry.  And after a few more days I realized that I was only eating lunch out of habit as well and could easily go into the evening hours without eating.  I work a job that requires physical labor (electrician) and I don't find any fatigue during the day just drinking water and water with electrolytes.

View All Quotes

Crazy  how it took so long to figure this stuff out now that I'm almost 50.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 8:26:19 AM EDT
[#43]

View All Quotes

Exactly.  Me too.  I'm 53
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 10:02:31 AM EDT
[#44]

View All Quotes

Me too.  54 and wish I woulda known about carnivore years ago.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 10:28:12 AM EDT
[#45]
Once you really dig in and research and read and follow up on claims, it really opens your eyes to what Big Med and the Gov’t are doing.

I hate to sound like a conspiracy nut, but as I get older I have realized it all boils down to one thing and one thing only.

Follow the money.

After working in healthcare for almost 25 years, and my wife is still in it, and seeing the change from caring for patients to just being a profit driven business, it just makes me sad.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 4:46:55 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By Clarinath:
Once you really dig in and research and read and follow up on claims, it really opens your eyes to what Big Med and the Gov’t are doing.

I hate to sound like a conspiracy nut, but as I get older I have realized it all boils down to one thing and one thing only.

Follow the money.

After working in healthcare for almost 25 years, and my wife is still in it, and seeing the change from caring for patients to just being a profit driven business, it just makes me sad.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/11/2024 6:52:03 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 7:00:50 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By jchewie1:

Great work!
View Quote

That feeling when you see the number 2 on the scale...

Link Posted: 5/11/2024 7:12:44 PM EDT
[#49]

For those looking for stats.

Dropped from 260 to 208 in 3 months. People,.including my family, though I was killing myself.  That was a year ago. For the past year I have stayed between 204 and 208.  I work out 6 days a week with body weight,  barbells and sand bags. I eat meat, eggs, cheese, and butter.  I primarily eat beef cuts and ground beef. I don't drink  alcohol and drink water with an occasional sparkling water or electrolyte mix. Despite my attempts to gain some.weight working out I can not do it. I eat as much as I can, until I'm full, every day. I've had my labs done twice in this period and everything is perfect. My blood pressure went from "you need to be on pb medication" to perfect. I feel like I'm getting younger. I'm old enough to join aarp.

I hope this motivated some one.

Link Posted: 5/11/2024 7:50:35 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By markl32:

That feeling when you see the number 2 on the scale...

View Quote

Lets refrain from turning this into a poop thread!
Page / 36
Top Top