BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 77
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 5:15:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Shung:

Let’s be fair here. That’s not the point.

you asked the thread why we were ignoring Perez floor damage. I’m doing exactly the opposite. I’m trying to identify it, and also quantify it with the data at hand. And so far, I can’t see it.  You don’t seem to either.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By fike:

No idea.

Friendly tip, your lows wouldn’t be so low if you didn’t try to build a narrative that might not exist.

Let’s be fair here. That’s not the point.

you asked the thread why we were ignoring Perez floor damage. I’m doing exactly the opposite. I’m trying to identify it, and also quantify it with the data at hand. And so far, I can’t see it.  You don’t seem to either.

I care as much as everyone (yourself included) was discussing the performance of Perez’s Red Bull and it is disingenuous to not include that it reportedly had “floor damage” to some degree.

Beyond that, I don’t care. If you watch closely, I have no sacred cows, favorite drivers, or favorite teams.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 5:35:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Deadtired:
I'll be the first to admit that I don't know enough about the rules governing driving style in F1.  But the stewards statement about the Russell/Alonso thing sound really, really nitpicky.  If Russell has been 10 meters off Alonso's tail during the entire maneuver, maybe that'd be one thing.  

But after rewatching the video, it almost looks like Russell got target fixation and didn't react even thought there was adequate space to do so.   "He didn't do that on previous laps" seems like a cop-out.  

idk
View Quote

Braking a little earlier and trying to get the guy who is faster behind you to brake earlier and disrupt his line is not an unheard of technique in racing. In karting it's fairly common, and every F1 driver grew up and honed their skills in karting.  Do it in the right spot, before a long straight and you may effect their exit speed enough to reduce their overall speed at the end of the following straight. The problem is it only works for a lap or two, the guy behind will figure it out quickly, adjust and find a way past you.  Unless of course it's the last lap or two of a race, then it might work.....Alonso knew exactly what he was doing, Russell wasn't expecting it at that moment, and it caused him to crash. Not sure it should be penalized, but its a good way to get your ass kicked after the race in just about every garage except for F1.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 5:45:32 PM EDT
[#3]
I think this is going to be the year this thread finally gets locked lol

Link Posted: 3/24/2024 5:46:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Jasba:

Braking a little earlier and trying to get the guy who is faster behind you to brake earlier and disrupt his line is not an unheard of technique in racing. In karting it's fairly common, and every F1 driver grew up and honed their skills in karting.  Do it in the right spot, before a long straight and you may effect their exit speed enough to reduce their overall speed at the end of the following straight. The problem is it only works for a lap or two, the guy behind will figure it out quickly, adjust and find a way past you.  Unless of course it's the last lap or two of a race, then it might work.....Alonso knew exactly what he was doing, Russell wasn't expecting it at that moment, and it caused him to crash. Not sure it should be penalized, but its a good way to get your ass kicked after the race in just about every garage except for F1.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Jasba:
Originally Posted By Deadtired:
I'll be the first to admit that I don't know enough about the rules governing driving style in F1.  But the stewards statement about the Russell/Alonso thing sound really, really nitpicky.  If Russell has been 10 meters off Alonso's tail during the entire maneuver, maybe that'd be one thing.  

But after rewatching the video, it almost looks like Russell got target fixation and didn't react even thought there was adequate space to do so.   "He didn't do that on previous laps" seems like a cop-out.  

idk

And that’s only braking early.

Braking so early that you have to speed back up and then brake again is clown shoes.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 5:52:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By DCV_117:

https://i.gifer.com/OtAr.gif
View Quote

Ugh, please no.

I don't know why people feel the need to reply to things they disagree with using insults. And even worse, continue to do it year after year, thread after thread, after being asked to stop numerous times.

I guess it's like expecting a leopard to change it's spots.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 5:57:16 PM EDT
[#6]

View Quote

If he trolls harder than he has then yes.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 5:58:39 PM EDT
[#7]

View Quote

Originally Posted By Plumber576:

Ugh, please no.

I don't know why people feel the need to reply to things they disagree with using insults. And even worse, continue to do it year after year, thread after thread, after being asked to stop numerous times.

View Quote

It’s 2024. Everyone’s opinion is correct. They can link 87 Twitter detective posts as evidence that supports their opinion. Narratives get theory crafted. It’s quite the time to be alive.

I say onward to Japan!
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 6:05:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Don't ignore, just unsub between races.

Bye!
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 6:08:06 PM EDT
[#9]

View Quote
3 races in ... races that could arguably be called "boring", no controversy or really anything noteworthy aside from
a stuck caliper from the clear championship favorite. Certain members might want to save some energy for when something really juicy happens. lol.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 6:15:21 PM EDT
[#10]

Ugh, please no.

View All Quotes

Ugh, please no.

This. FFS you don't even need to use the ignore feature. Is it so hard to accept that someone else has a different opinion? I disagree with a lot of stuff on this site but there's no point in starting arguments about everything.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 6:20:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Ohio_Bill:
I disagree with a lot of stuff on this site but there's no point in starting arguments about everything.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Ohio_Bill:

Ugh, please no.

I disagree with a lot of stuff on this site but there's no point in starting arguments about everything.

Yes there is.

Link Posted: 3/24/2024 6:46:05 PM EDT
[#12]
BTW, have we talked about what happened here from a technical viewpoint? It was quite the violent termination of some
very expensive bits and pieces. Was this the carbon rotor exploding?

Link Posted: 3/24/2024 6:50:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By tifosi:
BTW, have we talked about what happened here from a technical viewpoint? It was quite the violent termination of some

https://i.postimg.cc/XJTcmDLb/Screenshot-2024-03-24-184347.jpg
View Quote
When I saw that I assumed it was the tire deflating and blowing carbon dust out.

m
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 6:51:31 PM EDT
[#14]
What’s done is done.  In two weeks we have the next race, both Max and Checo will have repaired cars, and we’ll see where the teams end up.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 6:52:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Late to the party but I think this was a fun race, battles from front to back.

Really was pulling for Carlos what a year the dude has had.

It was also nice to see a team that cares about the team. Charles not even letting Carlos get out of the car to congratulate him was a cool moment with everything going on.

My fantasy team got wrecked but it was fun.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 6:53:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: NorthBridge] [#16]
Originally Posted By spyk3:

Whoever said ignoring him makes this thread a better flow was right lol
View Quote

You’re welcome

EDIT -  now if we could get people to stop quoting him and that other guy, we’d be onto something
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 6:58:43 PM EDT
[#17]

View Quote

I don't think it was the rotor exploding because that wheel more than likely wouldn't have been attached.

I *think* it was whatever duct was still closed more or less exploding due to the heat/pressure at that point.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 7:00:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Also Guenther in the Paddock was awesome
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 7:02:29 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By poison123:

I don't think it was the rotor exploding because that wheel more than likely wouldn't have been attached.

I *think* it was whatever duct was still closed more or less exploding due to the heat/pressure at that point.
View All Quotes

My vote, it was the Tire. How are solid carbon bits going to explode? I do wonder if rims have fuse plugs similar to aircraft rims.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 7:02:31 PM EDT
[#20]

View All Quotes

That really validated Max's point about it being "fucking stupid" to bring the car into the pits at that moment.  If that had let go in front of a garage, it certainly looks like enough debris is being ejected to actually hurt someone.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 7:03:14 PM EDT
[#21]

View All Quotes

There is a pretty good view from Max’s in car camera (which is looking backwards as soon as the fire started). They leave it running for a while in the pits and you get a pretty extended view of the carnage.

I’m not sure we would be able to tell anything, but if I get a chance I’ll grab some screenshots.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 7:08:36 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Cypher214:

That really validated Max's point about it being "fucking stupid" to bring the car into the pits at that moment.  If that had let go in front of a garage, it certainly looks like enough debris is being ejected to actually hurt someone.
View Quote

I think there will be some review of that and a new rule added.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 7:14:27 PM EDT
[#23]

View Quote

Based on color of smoke and precipitating "explosions" I would assume that's a pad or the rotor shattering. Something carbon.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 7:17:19 PM EDT
[#24]
another thing is strange. Max first recorded lap (lap2) on the telemetry in 1.24.1 , and than lap 3 is 1.23.1

vs 1.23.0 and 1.22.7 for Carlos for the same laps

he got 1sec faster despite the brake issue being already there from the get go ?

I really would like to see lap 1 telemetry.
View Quote

You have heard of a thing called brake fade right?
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 7:26:50 PM EDT
[#25]

There is a pretty good view from Max’s in car camera (which is looking backwards as soon as the fire started). They leave it running for a while in the pits and you get a pretty extended view of the carnage.

I’m not sure we would be able to tell anything, but if I get a chance I’ll grab some screenshots.
View All Quotes

lol…that was wishful thinking.

Low resolution and I have no idea what I am looking at.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 7:30:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Star_Scream:

My fantasy team got wrecked but it was fun.
View Quote

You're welcome.  
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 7:33:13 PM EDT
[#27]

View All Quotes

That was an epic fight.

I thought it was the rotor until they showed the car in the pit with the tire off of it. The rotor was intact so I think those who said it was the tire popping and blowing carbon dust out are right.
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/24/2024 7:34:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tifosi] [#28]

lol that was wishful thinking.

View Quote
This was the best shot of the damage I could find from when they first pulled the wheel when Max came in. Looks like the rotor is partially intact, but the
carbon cooling housing that usually hides the brakes from view is gone. Maybe that's what we saw going kaboom?

** Oh and we can clearly see who's brakes they're running.

// 917-30 beat me to the pic above. Yeah, not rotor, but something else.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 7:34:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RattleCanAR] [#29]
Originally Posted By 917-30:

That was an epic fight.

I thought it was the rotor until they showed the car in the pit with the tire off of it. The rotor was intact so I think those who said it was the tire popping and blowing carbon dust out are right.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/440308/1000034957_jpg-3168414.JPG
View Quote

That rotor isn't intact, it looks like some separation at that hub.  The Cake Pan, blew out on the final turn before entering the pits.  It laid off the racing line the entire race.  
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 7:37:38 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By sledhead907:

My vote, it was the Tire. How are solid carbon bits going to explode? I do wonder if rims have fuse plugs similar to aircraft rims.
View Quote

You know how Carbon Discs are made right? Its not like steel or anything of that nature.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 7:44:27 PM EDT
[#31]
This was the best shot of the damage I could find from when they first pulled the wheel when Max came in. Looks like the rotor is partially intact, but the
carbon cooling housing that usually hides the brakes from view is gone. Maybe that's what we saw going kaboom?

https://i.postimg.cc/RCJzt6n6/Screenshot-2024-03-24-193005.jpg

View All Quotes

lol that was wishful thinking.

https://i.postimg.cc/RCJzt6n6/Screenshot-2024-03-24-193005.jpg

Looks like between the two pics, the black cover/paint came off the caliper exposing the name.

Below is a pic showing the sidewall with holes in it.

Link Posted: 3/24/2024 7:50:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sledhead907] [#32]

You know how Carbon Discs are made right? Its not like steel or anything of that nature.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By sledhead907:

Yeah, I know a thing or two about carbon. I’d agree with you if it came apart through rotational force. Just exploding at 80kph? No, highly, highly unlikely, even with substantial heat.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 8:43:57 PM EDT
[#33]
Do we have contest results yet?
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 8:45:43 PM EDT
[#34]

Yes there is.

View Quote

No there isn't!  
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 8:50:54 PM EDT
[#35]

Link Posted: 3/24/2024 8:52:30 PM EDT
[#36]
Can’t we all just get along.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 9:00:32 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Teamer:
View Quote

Overall, Me
Aus GP, my kid followed by me.

It won't last LOL.  I refuse to have VER on my team.  

Link Posted: 3/24/2024 9:02:42 PM EDT
[#38]
It takes 5 months to make ONE carbon rotor for these cars.

Only 3 manufacturers Brembo, Hitco, and Carbon Industries.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 9:09:05 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By RattleCanAR:

Overall, Me
Aus GP, my kid followed by me.

It won't last LOL.  I refuse to have VER on my team.  

View Quote

I just wanted to see how bad my predictions were panning out
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 9:10:43 PM EDT
[#40]

I just wanted to see how bad my predictions were panning out
View Quote

Don't screenshot the F1 Fantasy page.  It has our names on it.  

What team is yours?

I am losersbracket
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 9:13:44 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By 1literduceater:
It takes 5 months to make ONE carbon rotor for these cars.

Only 3 manufacturers Brembo, Hitco, and Carbon Industries.
View Quote

Is Hitco still a player in F1? I haven’t heard the name in a while.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 9:57:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: D_J] [#42]
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 10:01:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tifosi] [#43]
View Quote
Survey results?
I think DCV_117 has a running tally, but it won't make much sense until after the final
flag falls in Abu Dhabi.

*nvm, I see you were asking about the fantasy league.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 10:04:26 PM EDT
[#44]
I hereby vow to not engage with Shung, unless it is completely civil, or make any attempt to get a rise out of him for the remainder of the season.

If I break this vow, I ask to be banned from the thread.

Link Posted: 3/24/2024 10:20:57 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 2:20:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Shung] [#46]
I hereby vow to not engage with Shung, unless it is completely civil, or make any attempt to get a rise out of him for the remainder of the season.

If I break this vow, I ask to be banned from the thread.

View Quote

To be honest with you cypher214, while we don’t agree on many things i deemed your posts over the week end completely civil.

I truly believe that you misinterpreted some points I made, maybe because you didn’t take them at face value but in the context of other things.

In sign of good faith I’ll limit my posting here.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 7:49:00 AM EDT
[#47]
Survey results?
I think DCV_117 has a running tally, but it won't make much sense until after the final
flag falls in Abu Dhabi.

*nvm, I see you were asking about the fantasy league.
View Quote

I do though, the overall points are meaningless right now because of the delta in team points from last year to this year but it's got everything on there and I update it after every race.

Link to Excel doc
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 8:27:35 AM EDT
[#48]
I gave a question on the redbull brake incident,  Max was upset they had him pit, i believe due to the danger presented to the pit crew had the ‘explosion’ happened just a few moments later but what should the protocol have been?

Leave it on the side of the track and deal with it there or something else?
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 8:31:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Shung] [#49]
Originally Posted By chaas67:
I gave a question on the redbull brake incident,  Max was upset they had him pit, i believe due to the danger presented to the pit crew had the ‘explosion’ happened just a few moments later but what should the protocol have been?

View Quote

Marshals have the necessary fire extinguishers

I don’t know what max was really upset about. I think on the moment the fact that his race and incredible streak of win was being interrupted by such a trivial thing must have frustrated him a lot. I don’t think even him expected this « explosion » we saw in the pit lane entry.

I also believe drivers prefer bringing the car back generally because I think they are more confident in the engineers rather than marshals to put a small brake fire out , without potentially damaging some limited parts/component on their car
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 8:48:07 AM EDT
[#50]

I don’t know what max was really upset about. I think on the moment the fact that his race and incredible streak of win was being interrupted by such a trivial thing must have frustrated him a lot. I don’t think even him expected this « explosion » we saw in the pit lane entry.

I also believe drivers prefer bringing the car back generally because I think they are more confident in the engineers rather than marshals to put a small brake fire out , without potentially damaging some limited parts/component on their car
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By chaas67:

The team would also choose, if possible, to get it back into the pits to keep the car under control and away from photographers.
Page / 77
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top