Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 7
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 8:17:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ScottyPotty] [#1]
You will need an extra set of trays.  It's a must have if you want to keep it running.

I bought five (1 gallon bottles) of oil for $100 much cheaper than buying by the quart.

The oil filter system is a joke and embarrassing for what you pay for the machine.  I think they improved them, but I modified an wix oil filter and made a stand.  

Link Posted: 3/7/2024 8:18:05 AM EDT
[#2]
I used a digital scale to portion things into bags pretty much every time I did vegetables or bulk foods, that would be nice to have.

You pretty much have to have a blender to do eggs.

We had a more rack to hold the filled bags as we worked so we could do all of the oxygen absorbers at once to reduce the exposure time of the bag they came in. You’ll want one of those plastics strip seals for those bags of O2 absorbers.
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 9:03:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TexRdnec] [#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ScottyPotty:
You will need an extra set of trays.  It's a must have if you want to keep it running.

I bought five (1 gallon bottles) of oil for $100 much cheaper than buying by the quart.

The oil filter system is a joke and embarrassing for what you pay for the machine.  I think they improved them, but I modified an wix oil filter and made a stand.  

View Quote

it's important to note that there's a big difference in oil as well as oil change intervals between the standard and premier pump

if you're buying one today it should come with the premier pump
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 9:06:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By TheOtherDave:
I used a digital scale to portion things into bags pretty much every time I did vegetables or bulk foods, that would be nice to have.

You pretty much have to have a blender to do eggs.

We had a more rack to hold the filled bags as we worked so we could do all of the oxygen absorbers at once to reduce the exposure time of the bag they came in. You’ll want one of those plastics strip seals for those bags of O2 absorbers.
View Quote

why do you say that?

i've just put my eggs into a ziplock bag, pressed them all pretty good and then transferred them to mylar.  i've even heard of people blending them inadvertently getting them moist from the heat of running the blender

joining a freeze drying group on facebook is a pretty good idea as well

the harvest rights  come with a sealer so he should be set there

Link Posted: 3/7/2024 12:56:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By TexRdnec:

why do you say that?

i've just put my eggs into a ziplock bag, pressed them all pretty good and then transferred them to mylar.  i've even heard of people blending them inadvertently getting them moist from the heat of running the blender

joining a freeze drying group on facebook is a pretty good idea as well

the harvest rights  come with a sealer so he should be set there

View Quote

It’s just cleaner for me-dump 4 trays into the blender, buzz if for a few seconds, then dump into a bag via a funnel. Our bags are pretty standard size, so trying to get tray sized sheets of egg-styrofoam in the bag opening is a PITA.
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 2:42:46 PM EDT
[#6]
I put my eggs in a pint mason jar, add an O2 absorber and vacuum seal the lid on. It’s easier to get them out to use.
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 6:40:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ScottyPotty] [#7]
My wife said to be and get the tray stackers. They are printed plastic pieces that clip on the trays allowing you to load a tray with food and then stack them vertically so they can all fit in the freezer.  I forgot to take a picture....can get one if anyone is interested.

She also uses a plastic Tupperware bin made for cereal to empty a full tray.  Put the full tray in and scrape with spatula to get food off the tray.  Then it's easy to dump into Mylar bags for storage.

I picked up this separation funnel off eBay to remove water from the oil.  Works pretty well, but would recommend paying the extra money for glass as it would be easier to see....but the plastic was only $14.00+

Attachment Attached File

I use this napa filter to clean the oil.
Attachment Attached File

Here is my oil change filter stand.
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/9/2024 8:24:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Here is a picture of the cereal bin with tray.

Attachment Attached File

Tray stackers......with some pineapple ready to go in the freezer.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 8:49:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Pro-tip on the pineapple-crushed dries faster than nibbles, chunks or rings.
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 9:15:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TexRdnec] [#10]
i ran a batch of bit-o-honeys and saltwater taffy today

also bagged up a bunch of spices and instant coffee today in mylar

eta: even if you don't have a freeze dryer or vacuum sealer you can do a whole fucking bunch just buying mylar bags with oxygen absorbers, so far as long term food storage goes
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 10:10:50 PM EDT
[#11]
How do Swedish Fish do?

Looks like this gets delivered on Thursday/Friday.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 6:53:11 PM EDT
[#12]
bone in split chicken breast was on sale for $0.97/lbs so i bought enough to fill up all 5 trays

don't particularly like chicken breast but with zero fat it ought to store like a champ
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 8:53:21 PM EDT
[#13]
bone in split chicken breast was on sale for $0.97/lbs so i bought enough to fill up all 5 trays

don't particularly like chicken breast but with zero fat it ought to store like a champ
View Quote

We mostly just did Costco chickens-four of them ($20) is enough to eat one meal and fill all of the trays. Turns out really nice and the only prep work is stripping the birds.

Versatile to use in dishes after rehydration too.
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 9:41:41 PM EDT
[#14]

We mostly just did Costco chickens-four of them ($20) is enough to eat one meal and fill all of the trays. Turns out really nice and the only prep work is stripping the birds.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

fit 12 big ass chicken breasts in a 5 tray medium, will start them up tomorrow

mountain house is having half off their #10 cans right now and the diced chicken is $37

with my math there's 3.5lbs of chicken in there and i'll round that up to 4lbs, which is what i got per tray

so if i bought the same amount of chicken from mountain house at half off it'd be about $150

cost me about $25 and some time
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 9:41:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By JAG2955:
How do Swedish Fish do?

View Quote

we got a freeze dryer yet?
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 1:47:34 AM EDT
[#16]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
How do Swedish Fish do?

No, they called this morning and told me that my time was 0800 Friday morning. Well, I'm on nights tonight, lady. What happened to my noon-1600 Thursday drop off?

Oh, that was just a request.

Link Posted: 3/15/2024 6:33:59 PM EDT
[#17]
It's here, and I carried it down to the basement.  Looks like I have to wait 24 hours before startup, but I'll get everything ready to go awhile.

Any suggestions for the first run?

Ice cream sandwiches are on the list for this weekend.  I promised my work crew I'd freeze dry some local ones and bring them in.
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 6:43:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Wife just finished 3 trays of eggs, 2 trays of milk, and 1 tray of sour cream this morning. She has a big box of jalopeno's next.
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 6:52:04 PM EDT
[#19]
It's here, and I carried it down to the basement.  Looks like I have to wait 24 hours before startup, but I'll get everything ready to go awhile.

Any suggestions for the first run?

Ice cream sandwiches are on the list for this weekend.  I promised my work crew I'd freeze dry some local ones and bring them in.
View Quote

your first run is supposed to be soggy bread to get the new appliance smell out

that time is just to let the refrigerant settle.  if it came to you upright and you didn't turn it on its side i think 6 hours is plenty of time to let it sit

the door hinges "float" so that slop in them is normal.  plug your vacuum pump into the back of the unit, not the wall.  just pull the rubber gasket out a little if you don't see a good ring. go into custom settings and add 24hrs of extra dry time so that you'll always be able to set your own schedule about packing everything.

that's about all the noob shit i can think of offhand
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 6:53:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By mrmissem:
Wife just finished 3 trays of eggs, 2 trays of milk, and 1 tray of sour cream this morning. She has a big box of jalopeno's next.
View Quote

i ran some serious jalapenos/serranos once and the smell was... noticeable.  took several batches afterwards before the pump didn't smell like it anymore.
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 6:58:32 PM EDT
[#21]

your first run is supposed to be soggy bread to get the new appliance smell out

that time is just to let the refrigerant settle.  if it came to you upright and you didn't turn it on its side i think 6 hours is plenty of time to let it sit

the door hinges "float" so that slop in them is normal.  plug your vacuum pump into the back of the unit, not the wall.  just pull the rubber gasket out a little if you don't see a good ring. go into custom settings and add 24hrs of extra dry time so that you'll always be able to set your own schedule about packing everything.

that's about all the noob shit i can think of offhand
View Quote
Gotcha.  Thanks for the info.  I'll probably start tomorrow no matter what, I just got off a string of night shifts.

While I didn't have to do more than tilt it a little, I have no clue what the shipping company did, so I'll wait just to be sure.
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 7:23:06 PM EDT
[#22]
About to do some mashed potatoes and a tray of pulled pork. I cooked the pork butt in an instant pot.
It’s pretty greasy, is that going to be an issue?

First time doing meat by itself. Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 7:26:46 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By bajagringo:
About to do some mashed potatoes and a tray of pulled pork. I cooked the pork butt in an instant pot.
It’s pretty greasy, is that going to be an issue?

First time doing meat by itself. Thanks.
View Quote

Storage time is limited by fat going rancid

If you’re not concerned about it long term, let it ride but I’d put some paper towels underneath to soak up extra

If you want to extend the life you can rinse it well with hot water as well but I’d reseason it some afterward. Towels either way.

Link Posted: 3/15/2024 7:39:34 PM EDT
[#24]

i ran some serious jalapenos/serranos once and the smell was... noticeable.  took several batches afterwards before the pump didn't smell like it anymore.
View Quote

Thank you for that. I will let her know.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 5:08:51 PM EDT
[#25]
Bread is going. 2 hours and it's at -7.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 6:28:47 PM EDT
[#26]

Thank you for that. I will let her know.
View Quote

Onions are really bad as are some sauces. Onions will wreck the machine until you clean it, BBQ sauce for example will make for BBQ flavored strawberry flavored ice cream in the same batch.

Some things don’t mix in the same load….
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 7:13:26 PM EDT
[#27]
guess i've finally run 20 batches, got the oil change message today

painless, took about 2/3 of a $14/qt of robinair and took 5 minutes

gonna put in another batch of $0.97/lbs chicken tomorrow
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 7:25:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JAG2955] [#28]
Got the alarm for "unable to attain vacuum."

Let's try again.

ETA: whoops. There's a switch on the vacuum, too.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 7:37:17 PM EDT
[#29]
Got the alarm for "unable to attain vacuum."

Let's try again.

ETA: whoops. There's a switch on the vacuum, too.
View Quote

thought of some more noob shit

the bottom tray is your coldest, the top tray is your second coldest.  middle tray is your warmest.  all a function of how close they are to warmers and ice

when in extra drying i press cancel and then swap middle to bottom and top to 2nd tray.  then i press more dry time and restart.

i always rotate the trays to make sure they've been on a warm enough rack.  always err on the side of caution and if the food is ever still cold that means there's ice, which means it's not done.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 8:46:10 PM EDT
[#30]
How long does the bread run usually take?
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 9:57:19 PM EDT
[#31]
How long does the bread run usually take?
View Quote

Depends on how much bread and how wet you got it. Probably at least 12hrs
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 10:15:12 PM EDT
[#32]
Damn. Was hoping to get some stuff in tonight. It wasn't much bread, one slice per shelf. We don't keep much bread in this house.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 10:29:56 PM EDT
[#33]
Damn. Was hoping to get some stuff in tonight. It wasn't much bread, one slice per shelf. We don't keep much bread in this house.
View Quote

the bread run really doesn't need to finish, it's basically to get an ice ring formed and get through a successful run to know that everything is working

that said, rushing is the worst single thing you could ever do with a freeze dryer.  rushing might be the difference between something lasting 30yrs and it not lasting a month.  might as well start hurrying up to wait now
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 11:17:23 PM EDT
[#34]
I bought a meduim sized Harvest as an extended family gift. My brother is the organic gardener in our bunch, so it lives at his place.

I'm curious about how you veteran users filter your vacuum pump oil. The book states replacing the mineral oli every four cycles. He's been saving the old oil. Filtering for reuse sounds great.

Any particular filters to use? Certain micron size?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 11:24:26 PM EDT
[#35]
Wife did the jalopeno's today. I didn't notice the smell, she didn't either. We will see when she runs it again.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 11:28:35 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Flysc:
I bought a meduim sized Harvest as an extended family gift. My brother is the organic gardener in our bunch, so it lives at his place.

I'm curious about how you veteran users filter your vacuum pump oil. The book states replacing the mineral oli every four cycles. He's been saving the old oil. Filtering for reuse sounds great.

Any particular filters to use? Certain micron size?

Thanks.
View Quote

that's the old standard pump, new units come with the premier pump which needs to be changed every 20 batches

if you look through the thread there's a guy that made a filtering system for his standard pump

if it were me i'd probably spend the $800 to upgrayd to a premier pump
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 11:30:00 PM EDT
[#37]
Wife did the jalopeno's today. I didn't notice the smell, she didn't either. We will see when she runs it again.
View Quote

my batch had some serious hot peppers.  i ran serranos, jalapenos, onions and bell peppers all at once
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 11:59:29 PM EDT
[#38]

my batch had some serious hot peppers.  i ran serranos, jalapenos, onions and bell peppers all at once
View Quote

Maybe that was the difference. She had 6 trays of jalopeno only. I will pay attention the next time she runs and see if I can tell then.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 12:00:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ScottyPotty] [#39]

that's the old standard pump, new units come with the premier pump which needs to be changed every 20 batches

if you look through the thread there's a guy that made a filtering system for his standard pump

if it were me i'd probably spend the $800 to upgrayd to a premier pump
View Quote
IMHO paying $800 more for a pump that has historically been more problematic and only gets less frequent oil changes is not....well not for me..LoL

Oil changes are quick and easy once you get the hang of it and come up with a system that works for you.

FYI - Napa hydraulic filter is what I use for filtering.  We have been using the same gallon since 2020 so I dumped out the remaining oil (about 1/2 gallon) and opened a new gallon since it was getting so old.  I bought 5 gallons at $18.00 each.
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/17/2024 6:32:52 PM EDT
[#40]
Chicken breast still on sale so still running it

Link Posted: 3/17/2024 10:06:01 PM EDT
[#41]
My first load of ice cream is in!!!
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 4:03:35 PM EDT
[#42]
About 16 hours of drying, and it's still going. Normal?
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 4:27:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TexRdnec] [#43]
About 16 hours of drying, and it's still going. Normal?
View Quote

that'd be my guess

if your trays are heating and your mtorr is below 500 then the machine is doing its job

ETA:  everything is different but my batches probably average 20hrs
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 4:35:34 PM EDT
[#44]

that'd be my guess

if your trays are heating and your mtorr is below 500 then the machine is doing its job

ETA:  everything is different but my batches probably average 20hrs
View Quote
Ah, thanks. Yeah, I'm below 200mTorr and trays are heated.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 10:44:46 PM EDT
[#45]
The ice cream slices are AMAAAAAZING!!!

I could trade a pouch of these for cash, grass, or ass in the upcoming clownpocalypse.

The sandwiches didn't work well. They kind of exploded and left nothing in between the wafers. It was a local brand.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 11:10:57 PM EDT
[#46]
The ice cream slices are AMAAAAAZING!!!

I could trade a pouch of these for cash, grass, or ass in the upcoming clownpocalypse.

The sandwiches didn't work well. They kind of exploded and left nothing in between the wafers. It was a local brand.
View Quote

I had the same experience with store brand ice cream sandwiches. $4 for 12 should have been a clue.
If I do it again I’ll try something different, maybe Heath ice cream bars.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 6:57:30 AM EDT
[#47]
i've heard good things about both fat boy and walmart brand ice cream sandwiches
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 9:17:42 AM EDT
[#48]
Damn, I just looked up the price of the unit in the OP…$2,800!!!

I kind of want one, but that seems pricey for what you’re getting. Why is this more expensive than say a microwave or a dishwasher? Is there a Harbor Freight or Ali Express equivalent available?
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 10:14:34 AM EDT
[#49]
We have had ours for about 9 months or so and love it.  We have done everything from candy to milk, broth, full meals, veggies, etc.  Making your own backpacking meals is a game changer by the way.  We make our own "balance of nature" style veggie powder that we take every day also.  

Short term storage we use mason jars, long term we use the mylar bags with o2 absorbers.
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 11:30:00 PM EDT
[#50]
Strawberries-insanely good.
Bananas-very intense banana flavor
Blueberries-more mild of a flavor than fresh, but I've never liked store bought blueberries a ton.

Up next is more strawberries, cheese, and eggs, probably get them in tomorrow night.
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top