Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 7
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 10:39:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By bajagringo:
I ran some ice cream sandwiches last week.
Was not impressed. I used store brand that was on sale. They came out hard and crumbly.
Would name brand sandwiches work better?
View Quote

LoL, that’s what they were supposed to come out like….Were you expecting moist and chewy?

Chewy means water is present. That’s no good.
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 10:44:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By TheOtherDave:

If you can, spend the extra money and get the oilless pump. Yes, it’s a lot of money but filtering and changing the oil is messy and a pain in the ass on top of the work of keeping the machine running. It has to run to pay for itself, so anything you can do to make life easier pays dividends.

The one I had was borrowed and lost in a fire. It may be salvageable, don’t know yet-it’s pretty ugly. Much to my wife’s chagrin, I’ll be running a freeze drier again, even if I have to go out and spend the money on a new one. My buddy got his use out of it, I ran it for close to two years, and I still see enough value to have one again.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By WhiskersTheCat:

Based redneck. Thank you brother

The entire point of men is to make the world better

If you can, spend the extra money and get the oilless pump. Yes, it’s a lot of money but filtering and changing the oil is messy and a pain in the ass on top of the work of keeping the machine running. It has to run to pay for itself, so anything you can do to make life easier pays dividends.

The one I had was borrowed and lost in a fire. It may be salvageable, don’t know yet-it’s pretty ugly. Much to my wife’s chagrin, I’ll be running a freeze drier again, even if I have to go out and spend the money on a new one. My buddy got his use out of it, I ran it for close to two years, and I still see enough value to have one again.

I'm legit interested.

Outside of us all being gun nuts, I just have this part of me that loves to prevent against disaster. Totally different area, I'm the guy who listens to the Aflack guy at work and wants more details on the levels of cancer coverage.

I enjoy power losses, except in summer. It is awesome to put yourself in a position where you say "that sucks oh well" This seems to further that interest.
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 10:56:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TexRdnec] [#3]

View All Quotes

the premier pump they come with now only need an oil change every 20 batches.  i change the oil on so much shit already that a little bitty pump isn't gonna bother me, would much rather have the extra $1000+ in my pocket
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 10:57:35 PM EDT
[#4]

LoL, that’s what they were supposed to come out like….Were you expecting moist and chewy?

View All Quotes
Was not impressed. I used store brand that was on sale. They came out hard and crumbly.

the fat boy brand seems to be a fan favorite

i haven't done any ice cream yet, i've only had them from mountain house.  they weren't hard or anything but certainly were crunchy
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 10:59:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Pokernut:
Freeze dried candy is the newest farmers market side job out here.  
View Quote

Guy at work has been freeze drying different candy and bringing it in. I’m enjoying it. He’s done Skittles, Bit O Honey, Gummy Worms.
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 11:02:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By hoodonit00:

Guy at work has been freeze drying different candy and bringing it in. I’m enjoying it. He’s done Skittles, Bit O Honey, Gummy Worms.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By hoodonit00:
Originally Posted By Pokernut:
Freeze dried candy is the newest farmers market side job out here.  

tell him to do salt water taffy.  and tell him to cut them in half, they puff up pretty good
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 11:03:24 PM EDT
[#7]
So what's the brand/model of the Cadillac of home freeze dryers? I'm interested in this.
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 11:06:32 PM EDT
[#8]

I'm legit interested.

Outside of us all being gun nuts, I just have this part of me that loves to prevent against disaster. Totally different area, I'm the guy who listens to the Aflack guy at work and wants more details on the levels of cancer coverage.

I enjoy power losses, except in summer. It is awesome to put yourself in a position where you say "that sucks oh well" This seems to further that interest.
View All Quotes

I'm legit interested.

quit being interested in doing it and do it

it's entertaining on top of being useful, get it done
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 11:08:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Vne:
So what's the brand/model of the Cadillac of home freeze dryers? I'm interested in this.
View Quote

harvest right has so much of the market it'd be impossible to say if any of the others were better just because of sample size

but as discussed earlier, you've got a year warranty on a harvest right and you can knock out a LOT of shit with one in a year even if it does go tits-up
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 11:12:26 PM EDT
[#10]
View Quote

We have two Harvest Right machines. Both have been flawless for 3 years.

We make food for camping and to rotate our garden produce. We sold candy at craft shows for the first couple years, we basically made all the money the machines cost us.
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 12:57:08 AM EDT
[#11]

View All Quotes

No, was not expecting soft and chewy. Also was not expecting a four foot circle of shrapnel after giving them to the grandkids. Maybe a name brand ice cream sandwich will live up to the hype that I read about.
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 1:07:22 AM EDT
[#12]
Here is how they turned out. Sort of expanded and falling apart. Is that normal?
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 8:00:49 AM EDT
[#13]
Here is how they turned out. Sort of expanded and falling apart. Is that normal?
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/267090/IMG_3402-3143633.jpg
View Quote

that's probably due to temp, ice cream needs to start COLD and be heated up slowly

like set your machine not to start until the chamber is -20 and heat your trays to 95 or somesuch, i'd have to go read the forums to remember exactly but that's the gist of doing ice cream
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 9:00:04 AM EDT
[#14]
View Quote
We found it beneficial to cut them into smaller pieces as well.
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 10:04:01 AM EDT
[#15]

I'm legit interested.

View Quote

It’s not just a preparedness thing-chicken today is a LOT cheaper than regular price 20 years from now when you are maybe retired and on a fixed income. It’s being able to have a meal you like with no prep work because your wife made a double batch a couple of years ago and all you need is water to get it ready and a microwave to warm it.
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 10:05:55 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By TexRdnec:

the fat boy brand seems to be a fan favorite

i haven't done any ice cream yet, i've only had them from mountain house.  they weren't hard or anything but certainly were crunchy
View Quote

If you do then right, they will be crunchy and hard to the point the break of you drop them and snap on two with your fingers.
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 10:13:16 AM EDT
[#17]
View Quote

There are really only two companies making them and the other is so new and unknown that you’d be taking a chance on them.

That said, since Covid, Harvest right has been shitting the bed quality wise as they had trouble sourcing and replacing components that fell in and out of availability for them.  Seemed like for a while when you light one you were a Guinea pig to see if it would run right or not. Those days seem to be over, I hope.

I’d probably go with HR simply because they are more likely to be around in 10 years to get parts from. These machines are pretty simple and a lot of times you can figure out what went wrong with a little patience and logic. The only thing that ever went wrong with mine was a relay for the tray heating they sent a replacement for free, but it was fixed with a commonly available relay by the time the replacement arrived.
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 10:17:22 AM EDT
[#18]

harvest right has so much of the market it'd be impossible to say if any of the others were better just because of sample size

but as discussed earlier, you've got a year warranty on a harvest right and you can knock out a LOT of shit with one in a year even if it does go tits-up
View Quote

Definitely make use of that warranty period and run the snot out of it. Since mine was on loan, I made it a routine of mine to run it or empty and change/filter the oil (not needed but that’s what my buddy wanted) every day when I got home. I kept frozen vegetables on hand in case my wife didn’t have anything made to go in, or I’d run to Walmart for a 5 dozen case of eggs, or maybe to Sam’s club for 3 rotisserie chickens to run thru it. I won’t lie and say it ran every day but you have to make hay while the sun shines, and if something is going to break it will happen in that first year-these are simple machines.
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 10:19:31 AM EDT
[#19]
View Quote

Those melted before they refroze in the machine. Start your cycle with the tray already pre-chilled In the freezer with the ice cream bars already on them, then when the FD is cold, transfer them to tue machine.
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 1:54:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kuraki] [#20]
View Quote

A trick I've learned for some things is to turn the machine on and let it get down below freezing in the chamber before putting ice cream in.  It seems a lot of the puffing is caused by the ice cream melting as the chamber comes down in temp.

My sandwiches look basically identical to how they look out of the box.  I don't even unwrap them from the paper.

ETA: Asked and answered already
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 1:56:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Well, I'm subscribed to this thread now.  Wife and I are talking about getting one with our work bonus money next month.

Size and pump recommendations?  I was leaning towards the large and oil-free pump.

Goal would be to preserve food for SHTF and have fun with candy and ice cream sammiches.
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 2:07:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By JAG2955:
Well, I'm subscribed to this thread now.  Wife and I are talking about getting one with our work bonus money next month.

Size and pump recommendations?  I was leaning towards the large and oil-free pump.

Goal would be to preserve food for SHTF and have fun with candy and ice cream sammiches.
View Quote

anything bigger than a medium will require its own 20 amp service, so keep that in mind
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 2:39:04 PM EDT
[#23]

anything bigger than a medium will require its own 20 amp service, so keep that in mind
View All Quotes

If that's not an issue, any thoughts?
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 3:24:45 PM EDT
[#24]

View Quote

Definitely the medium-the large is a bit large for having the wife cook double batches of food and you need a dedicated electrical circuit for it. Even the medium will trip a kitchen breaker when other things are running like a microwave-fortunately they remember where they were in the cycle so you can resume after restoring power.

The small isn’t worth it-especially since the running cost in terms of electricity is virtually the same.
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 3:26:04 PM EDT
[#25]
View Quote

The only issue is the amount of food it takes to fill it. It’s got a lot more tray area than the medium.
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 3:57:16 PM EDT
[#26]
Cool, so the large is actually too big to easily fill.  Looks like I'll investigate the medium.
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 3:58:31 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By CVO:

This is why commercial  Lyophilizers use temperature sensors on all shelfs.
View All Quotes
My top tray didn’t scatter shit. Any ideas as to why?

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/30587/IMG_5721-3042357.jpg

Correct...in the pharma industry we would place thermocouples in a few vials of product on each shelf.

Temp mapping the R&D size units was interesting, you'll find variation on each shelf, between shelves and relative position in the chamber.  

From my experience the smaller sized lab units were more finicky than the industrial ones. Often had issues passing leak tests or issues with the cooling system etc...

Preventative maintenance is key.  Make sure the door gasket is cleaned/greased regularly.
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 4:00:52 PM EDT
[#28]
View All Quotes

the medium is right for me and most times i have to hunt for something to round out a batch

if you were gonna go hard at it like a job or sell candy i'd probably jump up to a big boy but to occasionally play and pack away food i'd say the medium is a good size
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 4:05:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TexRdnec] [#29]
Originally Posted By Antisocial1:

Correct...in the pharma industry we would place thermocouples in a few vials of product on each shelf.

Temp mapping the R&D size units was interesting, you'll find variation on each shelf, between shelves and relative position in the chamber.  

From my experience the smaller sized lab units were more finicky than the industrial ones. Often had issues passing leak tests or issues with the cooling system etc...

Preventative maintenance is key.  Make sure the door gasket is cleaned/greased regularly.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Antisocial1:
My top tray didn’t scatter shit. Any ideas as to why?

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/30587/IMG_5721-3042357.jpg

it's something that i've figured out since then

first is that brand of gummy ring didn't want to vacuusuck worth a fuck anyway

second is that the top and bottom trays, being closest to the ice ring, will never warm up like the middle 3 trays.  on some things it doesn't matter and they're perfectly adequate as is but for most things i'll rotate my trays during the extra dry process just to be on the safe side of making sure everything completely dries
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 4:14:52 PM EDT
[#30]

the medium is right for me and most times i have to hunt for something to round out a batch

if you were gonna go hard at it like a job or sell candy i'd probably jump up to a big boy but to occasionally play and pack away food i'd say the medium is a good size
View Quote
Oil free pump, or just the normal premier pump?
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 4:29:23 PM EDT
[#31]
View All Quotes

premier pump all day long

less heat, less noise and i've heard longevity on the oilless isn't the greatest.  and $1495 will buy a whole bunch of pump oil
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 5:37:08 PM EDT
[#32]

The only issue is the amount of food it takes to fill it. It’s got a lot more tray area than the medium.
View All Quotes

Yeah my friend has a large, I have a medium.  His wife does their food prep and doesn't mind making batches that size.  I do our foot prep and medium is fuckin enough for me.
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 5:38:59 PM EDT
[#33]

View Quote

I keep canned mango slices on hand just for this.  God damn I love freeze dried mango.  But I hate processing fresh ones, and there's no shelf life to just "have on hand."  So canned is still pretty cheap and is the perfect filler item.
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 8:38:36 PM EDT
[#34]
Getting a run of hamburger meat ready to go in, haven’t done any thus far
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 9:12:48 PM EDT
[#35]
View Quote

Cooked or raw?  I've found I really prefer beef dried raw, rehydrated with cold water then cooked.
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 9:15:11 PM EDT
[#36]
I have a Harvest Right Medium that gets a lot of use. New house being built has it built in the laundry room.

I do recommend. You'll want Mylar bags & a sealer too.
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 9:17:29 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Kuraki:

Cooked or raw?  I've found I really prefer beef dried raw, rehydrated with cold water then cooked.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Kuraki:

I cooked it all, good and seasoned up with a shit pile of onions

Did a quick rinse with hot water, lined the trays with paper towels to catch more oil and did a light re-season to make up for douching it with water
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 9:17:52 PM EDT
[#38]
Wife did a load of hamburger pattys a couple of weeks ago. Turned out great.
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 9:24:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TheOtherDave] [#39]
View Quote

If you don’t mind square patties, it helps a lot to score them in the trays once you press the meat in-you just break them apart when they are done drying.

ETA: whoops.. thought you were talking raw..
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 9:29:04 PM EDT
[#40]
Here’s a GREAT meal to freeze dry:

Brown 1/2lb of hamburger with onion and pepper
Prepare one box of Mac ‘n Cheese
Mix seasoned ground beef with Mac ‘n Cheese and one can of Fire Roasted Tomatoes along with the juice from the can.

Scale this recipe up and down based on your tray availability…. It is total comfort food that dries very well and doesn’t look like Mac ‘n cheese and hamburger at all-it’s not even orange anymore with the addition of the canned of tomatoes.
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 9:32:00 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By webtaz99:
Only way I could get into freeze drying would be by providing the energy from solar.

You're talking about a oil-type vacuum pump and a freezer run for hours. It'll make your meter spin fast.

View Quote

Electricity is practically free here

Maybe I should get a freeze dryer
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 10:07:34 PM EDT
[#42]
Here’s a GREAT meal to freeze dry:

Brown 1/2lb of hamburger with onion and pepper
Prepare one box of Mac ‘n Cheese
Mix seasoned ground beef with Mac ‘n Cheese and one can of Fire Roasted Tomatoes along with the juice from the can.

Scale this recipe up and down based on your tray availability…. It is total comfort food that dries very well and doesn’t look like Mac ‘n cheese and hamburger at all-it’s not even orange anymore with the addition of the canned of tomatoes.
View Quote

i have been meaning to do an actual meal, instead of just ingredients

next
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 12:03:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ScottyPotty] [#43]
The wife just put in 8lbs of sloppy joes.

*edit*  
She just cooked up another 8lbs of sloppy joes....its in the freezer now waiting to be put in.

16lbs of sloppy joes.....
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 12:25:02 AM EDT
[#44]
Chili (with beans, gasp) makes a very easy meal to reconstitute. Great for camping. Just add some water in the pot and heat it up. If if it’s too thick, add more water.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 5:48:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TexRdnec] [#45]
dollar tree is making some bank on me just from plastic bins

seems every weekend i buy a new bin and every weekend it gets put up full

granted, it's not all freeze dried shit.  i figure if i''ve got my sealer out i might as well make it worthwhile.  beans, rice, coffee, flour, salt, cornmeal, etc...  all gets vacuusucked and put away.

i aspire to be my own store and have everything i can have on hand, on hand

a bunch of hamburger helper type meals up next...
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 9:48:18 PM EDT
[#46]

granted, it's not all freeze dried shit.  i figure if i''ve got my sealer out i might as well make it worthwhile.  beans, rice, coffee, flour, salt, cornmeal, etc...  all gets vacuusucked and put away.

View Quote

Sam’s Club is running a sale on their black/yellow bins this week, $9…..
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 10:38:09 PM EDT
[#47]

View All Quotes

i haven't been to sams since i bought the freeze dryer OR the vaccuum chamber sealer

the next time i go i'm liable to go apeshit

i usually send my wife because i fucking loathe corpus.  sams club used to be right on the outskirts but then they built a brand new one smack ass in the middle of that shithole town
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 12:51:45 AM EDT
[#48]
I joined the cool kids club. Scheels let me order one and gave me a military discount, so it was a solid deal.

What accessories should I grab first?
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 7:28:25 AM EDT
[#49]
I joined the cool kids club. Scheels let me order one and gave me a military discount, so it was a solid deal.

View Quote

A quality food saver/sealer and Mylar bags/oxygen absorbers. Plan to spend about $150 on the sealer, and you want one with an integrated bag cutter.

Amazon has been a good source for the bags/absorbers, you will have to decide on how big they should be based on what you are storing and if you will be preparing the food in the bag. Pre-cooked meals like pasta you will want bags with a zip lock seal and a pleated bottom so you can put the water in, stir, close it up, and then have it stand on its own. Regular foood stores like meat and vegetables won’t matter so much but you’ll want larger bags for things like hamburger patties and steaks so you can get enough in them for family portioning. Having appropriate bag sizes will leave enough room so that they don’t break up during rough handling or worse-puncture the bag… bones and some foods can be hard and sharp, and most foods you will not want to vacuum seal for this reason.

Storage bins are a must to avoid handling and damage.

Depending on where you plan to set it up, you might like to put it on a Rubbermaid push cart. These are kinda loud so you won’t want to use it in a common area of the house. We much preferred using it in a spare bedroom. I’m honestly surprised that HR doesn’t put a better muffler on their pump-it’s just an NPT thread and I would have changed it if the FD were mine.
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 8:01:42 AM EDT
[#50]

View Quote

niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice

a second set of trays would be really nice, i'm gonna have to break down and buy some.  pre-freezing is the way to go so having one set of trays freezing while the other is getting freeze dried would be nice

you'll need to change the pump oil at 20 batches unless you got an oilless.  it's about $14/qt, robinair premium high vacuum pump oil, wouldn't hurt to have a quart on hand to start with

gusseted zip lock mylar bags are the way to go, so far i like packfreshusa the best.  i've had similar quality bags elsewhere but the insides had a smell to them which likely will translate out to the food

if you're pre-freezing you're gonna want some tray dividers.  people everywhere plastic print these things so they can be found everywhere. or harvest right sells tray covers, same difference, some way to stack them nicely while they freeze

and a big one, you need a funnel to get all the shit into your mylar.  this thing is perfect for it
Amazon Product
  • Great wide mouth design perfect for loading different medias into mineral tank.

Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top