Posted: 5/31/2001 11:12:16 AM EDT
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 11:12:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 11:21:32 AM EDT
[#2]
So, .40 and .45 aren't interchangable?
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 11:30:48 AM EDT
[#3]
I posted on the .40 in a .45 a while back.

My buddy loaded .40 S&W in his Sig 220.  Like this case the extractor held the round against to bolt face well enough to get a solid strike from the firing pin.  The .40 case was fire formed to .45 and stuck in the chamber preventing any further "mis adventures. Presumably the bullet "bounced" down the barrel and impacted down range.

Be careful out there guys, it can happen!

Link Posted: 5/31/2001 11:43:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
So, .40 and .45 aren't interchangable?
View Quote

LMAO!
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 11:48:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Last week at an instructor class a student fired not one, but TWO 9mm rounds from his .40 cal sigpro.  Somehow, the pistol was able to fire, extract, eject and chamber another round.  The Blazer cases were split and the bullet impact on the target was way off from the point of aim and somewhat sideways.  The shooter could not explain how the 9mm got mixed in with this .40 ammo.  Yes, it can happen when more than one caliber is on the range.  We were shooting 9mm, .40 and .45.
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 12:27:08 PM EDT
[#6]
How did he mix up .40 and .45? The cases are obviously different (as is the weight).
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 12:33:22 PM EDT
[#7]
thats no joke about the 20 ga and 12 ga either I saw what that did to a Remington 870 barrel, peeled it open like a bananna..and those shells are even different colors..
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 12:41:58 PM EDT
[#8]
"The importance of safety equipment, such as safety glasses and baseball caps, cannot be overemphasized. "

I've heard "Get your eyes and ears on." on the range but never "Get your eyes and hats on."

Since when did ball caps become safety equipment?  What is the purpose?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 1:05:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
How did he mix up .40 and .45? The cases are obviously different (as is the weight).
View Quote
                                            This guy was obviously having a "bad day"...the range officer should realize it.....it is a bad idea to be shooting with a poor attitude going for ya`.......maybe he should have had a break or somethin`...[smoke]
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 2:30:10 PM EDT
[#10]
I think any abnormal sounds or functions should be carefully investigated and not ignored.
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 2:47:26 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm not an overly experienced pistol shooter, but I dunno if I'd tap/rack/bang on the range with a malfunction unless I was in a malfunction drill.

Seems like a good idea to sort out the malfunction before attempting to fire again.

Roger the odd-ball sounds.

Just the other day, my stepson tacked up a target at 15 yds.  Loaded my Beretta 96 and started a slow-fire.  I heard an odd sound and shouted 'cease fire' just as he squeezed off a second round (odd sound again).  Seems that someone had placed one of those sawed-in-half 55 gallon drom BBQ pits downrange between the target stands and the berm.  You guessed it - 180gr flat nosed .40S&W hits on the BBQ.  No idea where the bullets went.

Two clear lessons - be sure of your back-drop (duh!) even on a range, and figure out what the odd sound was before firing a second shot.

Embarrassing - as most safety lessons are.

Link Posted: 5/31/2001 4:16:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By black&green:
This guy was obviously having a "bad day"...the range officer should realize it.....it is a bad idea to be shooting with a poor attitude going for ya`.......maybe he should have had a break or somethin`...[smoke]
View Quote

This guy was also a goofball. A goofball having a bad day.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top