BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 10
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 11:14:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By FlashMan-7k:

So, I'm just a schmuck who reads news and is not an expert on anything.

What you've posted makes me think of this, though: apparently the orginal land size was~44 square miles.

When the actual housing establishments and such were put in, they bult them inside the special district, I'm guessing so they did not have to have any code compliance or stuff like that.  The SD land is now reportedly ~39 square miles. Those housing districts seem to have been gerrymandered *out of the district.*

My dime store understanding is that this would allow disney corp to not have to deal with large groups of residents and the need for them to have some sort of legal representation.

DVC club members ... I don't know. Haven't the foggiest. ETA: I didt hear a short while back that a measurable number of DVC members were taking huge losses to get out of DVC.

If the pattern holds, they would have been being kept in a situation that was one-sided in favor of disney corp.

I have no idea how the state will handle it. Or if the state even will (they should, everyone needs to hold their feet to the fire).
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By BigFatDog:
How do Celebration and the Golden Oaks developments as well as the various Disney Vacation Club time shares complicate things?

What you've posted makes me think of this, though: apparently the orginal land size was~44 square miles.

When the actual housing establishments and such were put in, they bult them inside the special district, I'm guessing so they did not have to have any code compliance or stuff like that.  The SD land is now reportedly ~39 square miles. Those housing districts seem to have been gerrymandered *out of the district.*

My dime store understanding is that this would allow disney corp to not have to deal with large groups of residents and the need for them to have some sort of legal representation.

DVC club members ... I don't know. Haven't the foggiest. ETA: I didt hear a short while back that a measurable number of DVC members were taking huge losses to get out of DVC.

If the pattern holds, they would have been being kept in a situation that was one-sided in favor of disney corp.

I have no idea how the state will handle it. Or if the state even will (they should, everyone needs to hold their feet to the fire).

I’m just wondering how much wiggle room, if any, they give the Disney defense team, VS the “company town.” Since you follow this stuff keep an eye out.
Link Posted: 12/17/2023 4:04:10 PM EDT
[#2]

Chapek wasn't good ... and ... he also effectively only got to do iger's projects, only to be booted out by the board to bring iger back.

Eisner wasn't good, iger wasn't good, chapek wasn't good, iger the second time isn't good ...

I'm seriously starting to wonder if they have ever had a good leader since walt died.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By midcap:
Chapek      em good

Chapek wasn't good ... and ... he also effectively only got to do iger's projects, only to be booted out by the board to bring iger back.

Eisner wasn't good, iger wasn't good, chapek wasn't good, iger the second time isn't good ...

I'm seriously starting to wonder if they have ever had a good leader since walt died.

Eisner and Frank Wells together revitalized Disney, the two together birthed the Disney Renaissance,  Disney starts to drop after Wells died, no one was there to check Eisner's ego and overblown ideas.
Link Posted: 12/17/2023 4:15:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By RustyKnifeUSMC:

Right. A new Mandalorean season or other nerd Star Wars show will premiere and all will be forgotten.

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/hes_right_you_know-328.jpg
View Quote

Yeah, that's working for Marvel... nerd culture has split, but the legacy fans and collectors are passing on Disney Star Wars, don't believe the media hype and twitch idiots, Star Wars is in a death spiral just like Marvel and Dr Who.
Link Posted: 12/17/2023 7:59:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By JTHM242:

Eisner and Frank Wells together revitalized Disney, the two together birthed the Disney Renaissance,  Disney starts to drop after Wells died, no one was there to check Eisner's ego and overblown ideas.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By JTHM242:
Originally Posted By midcap:
Chapek      em good

Plus wherever in that timeline, roy disney had started up the save disney campaign fighting with eisner.
Link Posted: 12/17/2023 8:01:18 PM EDT
[#5]

I’m just wondering how much wiggle room, if any, they give the Disney defense team, VS the “company town.” Since you follow this stuff keep an eye out.
View All Quotes
How do Celebration and the Golden Oaks developments as well as the various Disney Vacation Club time shares complicate things?

I'm inclined to suspect that if those do anything, they're going to screw disney corp by showing as examples of how careful the mouse was to retain complete control over the district.
Link Posted: 12/18/2023 5:27:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Mal_means_bad] [#6]
We was Kangs - Jonathan Majors convicted on two charges

The 34-year-old Majors was found guilty on two of the four counts he was facing, with the Manhattan jury convicting him on third-degree assault and second-degree harassment following a two-week trial. In a mixed verdict, he was acquitted of a different third-degree assault charge, as well as aggravated harassment.  Sentencing was set for Feb. 6

Link Posted: 12/18/2023 8:45:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Mal_means_bad:
We was Kangs - Jonathan Majors convicted on two charges

The 34-year-old Majors was found guilty on two of the four counts he was facing, with the Manhattan jury convicting him on third-degree assault and second-degree harassment following a two-week trial. In a mixed verdict, he was acquitted of a different third-degree assault charge, as well as aggravated harassment.  Sentencing was set for Feb. 6

View Quote
He's just another AA shit actor.  Good riddance.
Link Posted: 12/18/2023 9:11:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By FreefallRet:
Men in dressed as Princess dresses is one thing.

Grooming children towards transsexual and homosexual things are another.

I am sure some will say I am wrong and the above is wrong, but they are just blind to what's going on.

View Quote

This is the worst of it, but even without this, their general focus on intersectionality and leftist politics is extremely off putting to the majority of their supposed audience, and trying to shoehorn that bullshit into EVERYTHING, and hiring people who check boxes instead of who have talent means that their "entertainment" (movies/shows/etc) are just fucking BAD.

Only the most oblivious or morally bankrupt continue to support this cesspool of a company.
Link Posted: 12/18/2023 9:18:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Yet KK remains.
Link Posted: 12/18/2023 9:21:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FlashMan-7k] [#10]
So the obscenely overpriced parking garages that appear to have been wrongfully funded at disney springs?

Disney corp hit the other taxpayers in the district for 91 million dollars for them, and those taxpayers got NO beneft from the, and than other associated costs are apparently passed through to them?!?!?!

And MORE.

Watch, it will just start to give you an idea of what has been going on:

Is Disney STRONG-ARMING Tenants Into Paying Disney Taxes?

ETA: this is one of the lawyers responsible for part of the state audit of the old now gone special district.
Link Posted: 1/3/2024 10:38:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Disney Year to date: 3.93%

They didn't even beat the fake inflation numbers the government puts out.

They did worse than the DJI index,  the S&P500, and the nasdaq.

Great job, bob.

How BAD was DISNEY Stock Under Bob Iger in 2023? | Disney Didn't Even Beat Inflation

Link Posted: 1/16/2024 6:23:21 PM EDT
[#12]
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/business/business-news/disney-tsg-settlement-1235789656/

Disney Settles Breach of Contract Suit From Film Financier TSG Over Accusations of “Hollywood Accounting”

The lawsuit also dealt with changes in distribution windows and the allegedly murky role that studios play as producers and distributors of content.
January 16, 2024 10:45am

While disputes over “Hollywood Accounting,” as TSG called it, are common, they’re typically handled behind closed doors and don’t make it to court. According to the complaint, the terms of the deal between the financier and studio spelled out that conflicts can be filed in court to preserve the ability to appeal any ruling.

TSG said it sued after noticing that money from its investment “decreased dramatically.” According to the complaint, an audit showed that 20th Century failed to credit TSG with revenue, charged tens of millions in distribution fees not permitted under their deal, deducted expenses not related to the pictures in their slate and “uncovered rampant ‘self-dealing,’ the practice by which a studio enters into ‘sweetheart’ deals with its licensee affiliates to artificially minimize the profit payments to stakeholders like TSG.”
I'm not seeing any reports of the amount of the settlement. If I find that I'll post it.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 3:08:48 PM EDT
[#13]
https://variety.com/2024/biz/news/nelson-peltz-trian-disney-proxy-fight-votes-to-win-1235876463/

Jan 18, 2024 8:42am PT
Nelson Peltz Officially Launches Disney Proxy Fight, Aiming to Push Company to Hit ‘Netflix-Like’ Streaming Margins. But Can He Get the Votes to Win?

As promised, Trian Partners, the hedge fund led by activist investor Nelson Peltz, officially submitted its preliminary proxy statement for the election of Peltz and former Disney CFO Jay Rasulo to Disney’s board at the Mouse House’s 2024 annual shareholders meeting.

In its filing Thursday, Trian also outlined its goals and initial perspectives for Disney regarding corporate governance, streaming profitability — to “target and achieve Netflix-like margins” of 15%-20% by fiscal year 2027 — as well as ESPN, studio creativity, and growth in Disney’s Parks and Experiences unit. It’s all intended, according to the company, to “#RestoreTheMagic” at the media conglomerate.

But the key question is: Can Nelson Peltz get the backing of enough Disney shareholders to succeed in shaking up the board and challenging CEO Bob Iger for the future direction of the company?

Trian’s proposals, including its two board nominees, would require an affirmative vote of the holders of a majority of shares of the Walt Disney Co. To date, Trian has not disclosed whether it has the support of any of Disney’s other shareholders.

Looking at the results of Disney’s 2023 shareholder vote, there was overwhelming support for the Disney-recommended slate of 11 directors and other board-backed proposals. Per the vote tally from the meeting held April 3, 2023, all of the candidates received at least 93% of shares voted (excluding abstentions and broker non-votes). The board candidacy of Iger, for one, got 96.7% of shares cast. So as of last year, there was no significant shareholder agitation for change.

Peltz, of course, still has several months to try to win over votes before the 2024 Disney shareholders meeting sometime this spring (the date is TBA).

In a statement, Peltz said, “It is unfortunate that a company as iconic as Disney and with so many challenges and opportunities has refused to seriously engage with us, its largest active shareowner, about board representation. Instead of having a boardroom that would include directors with an ‘ownership mentality’ that can bring fresh perspectives to the company’s challenges, Disney is resisting change and asking shareholders to endorse a board comprised mainly of legacy directors (and their hand-picked successors) who have repeatedly failed to properly plan for CEO succession, misaligned the incentives of management, and failed to oversee or drive a strategy to get the streaming business to profitability or the studios to produce good content.”

Peltz asked rhetorically: “Are Disney shareholders really to believe the current board is able to heal these self-inflicted wounds?” Trian also announced the launch of its website, RestoreTheMagic.com, where it has laid out its case for shaking up the Disney board.

Disney, in its own proxy filing Jan. 16, formally rejected Trian’s nominations of Peltz and Rasulo). In addition the board recommended that shareholders not vote for three candidates (Craig Hatkoff, Jessica Schell and Leah Solivan) floated by Blackwells Capital. Instead, Disney urged shareholders to vote for its own 12-memeber slate of board candidates, including recent additions Morgan Stanley CEO James Gorman and former Sky chief Jeremy Darroch.

Earlier this month, Disney announced it had lined up the backing of activist investor ValueAct Capital, which has a “significant” ownership position in the media conglomerate, Bloomberg has reported, but the actual size is not known. Trian controls about $3 billion worth of Disney’s shares, 78% of which are owned by former Marvel Entertainment chairman Ike Perlmutter (whom Disney alleges has a “longstanding personal agenda” against Iger).

Trian, in waging its proxy fight, argues that Disney has underperformed the larger market and its media and tech industry peers as the result “of a board that has failed to adequately perform its primary responsibilities as stewards of shareholder capital.”

“A major problem at Disney, in Trian’s view, is that the goals have been amorphous and the execution poor,” the hedge fund said in its SEC filing. Trian outlined five areas of concern at Disney — and its proposals to address them:

Corporate Governance: Adopt best-in-class governance; finally complete a successful CEO succession; and align management pay with performance
   Streaming Profitability: Target and achieve Netflix-like EBITDA margins of 15-20% by FY 2027
   Future of ESPN: Commit to a reasonable, defined payback period and return profile on ESPN flagship direct-to-consumer and communicate it in detail prior to launch
   Studio Creativity: Board-led review of creative processes and structure to restore leadership accountability and reclaim No. 1 box office position with leading economics
   Parks and Experiences Growth: Execute on a clear vision for Parks targeting at least high-single digit operating income growth to ensure adequate returns on ~$60 billion of capex
View Quote

In its filing Thursday, Trian also outlined its goals and initial perspectives for Disney regarding corporate governance, streaming profitability — to “target and achieve Netflix-like margins” of 15%-20% by fiscal year 2027 — as well as ESPN, studio creativity, and growth in Disney’s Parks and Experiences unit. It’s all intended, according to the company, to “#RestoreTheMagic” at the media conglomerate.

Disney, in its own proxy filing Jan. 16, formally rejected Trian’s nominations of Peltz and Rasulo). In addition the board recommended that shareholders not vote for three candidates (Craig Hatkoff, Jessica Schell and Leah Solivan) floated by Blackwells Capital. Instead, Disney urged shareholders to vote for its own 12-memeber slate of board candidates, including recent additions Morgan Stanley CEO James Gorman and former Sky chief Jeremy Darroch.

A major problem at Disney, in Trian’s view, is that the goals have been amorphous and the execution poor,” the hedge fund said in its SEC filing. Trian outlined five areas of concern at Disney — and its proposals to address them:

Corporate Governance: Adopt best-in-class governance; finally complete a successful CEO succession; and align management pay with performance
   Streaming Profitability: Target and achieve Netflix-like EBITDA margins of 15-20% by FY 2027
   Future of ESPN: Commit to a reasonable, defined payback period and return profile on ESPN flagship direct-to-consumer and communicate it in detail prior to launch
   Studio Creativity: Board-led review of creative processes and structure to restore leadership accountability and reclaim No. 1 box office position with leading economics
   Parks and Experiences Growth: Execute on a clear vision for Parks targeting at least high-single digit operating income growth to ensure adequate returns on ~$60 billion of capex

If disney refuses to play ball, Peltz/trian can release their research on exactly what's wrong with the way disney is being run, which would put downwards pressure on disney's stocks.

Peltz/trian's website regarding this effort: https://restorethemagic.com/
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 9:49:56 PM EDT
[#14]
https://thatparkplace.com/judge-dismisses-the-walt-disney-companys-lawsuit-against-the-state-of-florida-and-governor-ron-desantis/

Judge Dismisses The Walt Disney Company’s Lawsuit Against The State Of Florida And Governor Ron DeSantis, Says “Disney Lacks Standing”
By John F. TrentPublished On: January 31, 2024
In a 17-page document granting the motion to dismiss, Judge Allen Winsor wrote, “The clerk will enter a judgment that says, ‘This case was resolved on motions to dismiss. Plaintiff’s claims against the Governor and the Department Secretary are dismissed without prejudice for lack of subject matter jurisdiction. Plaintiff’s claims against the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District board members are dismissed on the merits for failure to state a claim.”

Judge Winsor specifically addressed the First Amendment claim writing, “‘As a general matter, the First Amendment prohibits government officials from subjecting individuals to retaliatory actions after the fact for having engaged in protected speech.’ But it is settled law that ‘when a statute is facially constitutional, a plaintiff cannot bring a free-speech challenge by claiming that the lawmakers who passed it acted with a constitutionally permissible purpose.’ The Eleventh Circuit has ‘held that many times.’ And this settled law forecloses Disney’s claim.”

He also noted, “In short, Disney lacks standing to sue the Governor or the Secretary, and its claims against the CFTOD Defendants fail on the merits because ‘when a statute is facially constitutional, a plaintiff cannot bring a free-speech challenge by claiming that the lawmakers who passed it acted with a constitutionally impermissible purpose.”

My dime store understanding: Reedy creek was a governmental entity who's job was to be some limited level of "government" for everyone in their special district, NOT just for disney. Disney was NOT supposed to have legally controlled or captured reedy creek.

A move against reedy creek could not have been against disney unless disney was breaking the law.

Thus: No standing.

Unless you want to prove disney had captured reedy creek.

Hey wait, there was this audit not long ago talking about these sorts of things ...
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 9:52:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Good, anything Disney, including ESPN I don't give em a dime, not even a nickel.
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 10:01:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Moe1976:
Good, anything Disney, including ESPN I don't give em a dime, not even a nickel.
View Quote

I suspect that once the current cases are done, FL will act legally re: the audit of the abuses of the special district by disney.
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 10:11:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Mike_c130] [#17]
Edited - I really need to look at the dates on posts that I'm replying to...
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 10:21:54 PM EDT
[#18]
If you see one by me with a current date in the title, scroll down to the bottom of the OP, that's the latest news.

On some topics, there's no sense in making a zillion threads.

Disney keeps doing so much stupid stuff that it'd be 3 threads a day.

As it is I have ignored a TON of stuff.

I still haven't heard what the final valuation is going to be for hulu, and I suspect some heavy duty court cases are in the near offing for disney.
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 8:00:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Geralt55] [#19]

https://thatparkplace.com/judge-dismisses-the-walt-disney-companys-lawsuit-against-the-state-of-florida-and-governor-ron-desantis/

Judge Dismisses The Walt Disney Company’s Lawsuit Against The State Of Florida And Governor Ron DeSantis, Says “Disney Lacks Standing”
In a 17-page document granting the motion to dismiss, Judge Allen Winsor wrote, “The clerk will enter a judgment that says, ‘This case was resolved on motions to dismiss. Plaintiff’s claims against the Governor and the Department Secretary are dismissed without prejudice for lack of subject matter jurisdiction. Plaintiff’s claims against the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District board members are dismissed on the merits for failure to state a claim.”

Judge Winsor specifically addressed the First Amendment claim writing, “‘As a general matter, the First Amendment prohibits government officials from subjecting individuals to retaliatory actions after the fact for having engaged in protected speech.’ But it is settled law that ‘when a statute is facially constitutional, a plaintiff cannot bring a free-speech challenge by claiming that the lawmakers who passed it acted with a constitutionally permissible purpose.’ The Eleventh Circuit has ‘held that many times.’ And this settled law forecloses Disney’s claim.”

He also noted, “In short, Disney lacks standing to sue the Governor or the Secretary, and its claims against the CFTOD Defendants fail on the merits because ‘when a statute is facially constitutional, a plaintiff cannot bring a free-speech challenge by claiming that the lawmakers who passed it acted with a constitutionally impermissible purpose.”

My dime store understanding: Reedy creek was a governmental entity who's job was to be some limited level of "government" for everyone in their special district, NOT just for disney. Disney was NOT supposed to have legally controlled or captured reedy creek.

A move against reedy creek could not have been against disney unless disney was breaking the law.

Hey wait, there was this audit not long ago talking about these sorts of things ...
View Quote

Just going to place this here:

Attachment Attached File

Pathetic. The case DID go the right way, the way we on the right needed it to go.
The twitter influencers (and others) who basically were clapping for Disney and got this case outcome wrong, deserve serious skepticism going forward.
I know I won't look at them the same way.
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 8:42:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Geralt55:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/144599/HerpandDerp_jpg-3114944.JPG

Pathetic. The case DID go the right way, the way we on the right needed it to go.
The twitter influencers (and others) who basically were clapping for Disney and got this case outcome wrong, deserve serious skepticism going forward.
View All Quotes

I've found that a lot of people are very very wrongly informed on this stuff and bad takes are almost universal on it, and have been from the start.

Special district politics and law and state/local specific things tied up witht giant shadownrun level corps is a really tangled mess to suss out.
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 8:49:53 PM EDT
[#21]

View All Quotes

Judge Dismisses The Walt Disney Company's Lawsuit Against The State Of Florida And Governor Ron DeSantis, Says "Disney Lacks Standing"
In a 17-page document granting the motion to dismiss, Judge Allen Winsor wrote, "The clerk will enter a judgment that says, 'This case was resolved on motions to dismiss. Plaintiff's claims against the Governor and the Department Secretary are dismissed without prejudice for lack of subject matter jurisdiction. Plaintiff's claims against the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District board members are dismissed on the merits for failure to state a claim."

Judge Winsor specifically addressed the First Amendment claim writing, "'As a general matter, the First Amendment prohibits government officials from subjecting individuals to retaliatory actions after the fact for having engaged in protected speech.' But it is settled law that 'when a statute is facially constitutional, a plaintiff cannot bring a free-speech challenge by claiming that the lawmakers who passed it acted with a constitutionally permissible purpose.' The Eleventh Circuit has 'held that many times.' And this settled law forecloses Disney's claim."

He also noted, "In short, Disney lacks standing to sue the Governor or the Secretary, and its claims against the CFTOD Defendants fail on the merits because 'when a statute is facially constitutional, a plaintiff cannot bring a free-speech challenge by claiming that the lawmakers who passed it acted with a constitutionally impermissible purpose."

I'm so sick of Lake and can't wait until she sinks into obscurity.
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 6:04:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FlashMan-7k] [#22]
Disney Announced to Have Lost TEN BILLION Dollars in Last Four Years... and the News Won't Cover It!

https://techcrunch.com/2024/01/31/reliance-backed-viacom18-agrees-to-buy-60-of-disney-india-unit-report-says/
Reliance-backed Viacom18 has reached an agreement to buy 60% of Disney’s India unit, WSJ reported Thursday citing unnamed sources, creating a pathway for the Indian conglomerate to form a $10 billion media giant in the South Asian market.

The deal, which WSJ says will close this month, values Disney’s India unit at $3.9 billion, the report said, less than half of what Disney had originally hoped. Earlier this week, Reliance declined to comment on its engagement with Disney.

Viacom18 is a joint venture among Mukesh Ambani’s Reliance Industries, Paramount Global and James Murdoch’s Bodhi Tree Systems. According to the agreement, Disney will retain 40% ownership in its India unit, whereas Reliance will acquire a 51% stake and Bodhi Tree will hold 9%, the report said.

In 2019, Disney acquired 21st Century Fox’s entertainment assets for $71.3 billion, a move significantly bolstered by the inclusion of Star India.
Link Posted: 2/6/2024 5:08:37 PM EDT
[#23]
WALT DISNEY COMPANY EARNINGS CALL Q1 FY24 | LIVE Coverage & Analysis

Placeholder video is already up.

So, disney, in a bid to get their shareholders to vote the way they want them to  are ... treating them all like toddlers.

Disney Treats Shareholders Like CHILDREN in CRINGE Voting Video!

Their cartoon on "how to vote" starts at 4:36. It's hilariously bad.
Link Posted: 2/6/2024 6:48:33 PM EDT
[#24]

Link Posted: 2/6/2024 7:03:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FlashMan-7k] [#25]
Originally Posted By Chokey:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GFsCz9qX0AAQiD8?format=jpg&name=large
View Quote

OOF.

*sticks it in the OP*

Elon is sending signals that he might get involved in the disney mess on side with peltz and trian.  It's all very much rumor and innuendo at this stage from what I've seen.

------------------------

https://farside.link/nitter/elonmusk/status/1754999578619707658

Hey look, actual racism / sexism / religious discrimination / etc.

But because it's against groups we like to hate, and we don't say it out loud, it's ok!

The way these things are normally gotten around - not asking about what group you're from - is to only recruit from favored groups OR only recruit for jobs that those in your favored supremacy group would go for. Aka in the real world as "only recruit people useful for pushing the leftist conflict theory and politics."

Instead of "who do you vote for" they ask "do you drive an f150 and wear steel toed work boots and have a 100+lb dog" or "do you drive a subaru with stickers all over it and have a wine box subscription and 20 cats."  Meaning they ask for things that correlate closely to their favored or disfavored groups.
Link Posted: 2/6/2024 8:54:08 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Chokey:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GFsCz9qX0AAQiD8?format=jpg&name=large
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/6/2024 9:10:52 PM EDT
[#27]
War, Elon.

Link Posted: 2/7/2024 5:37:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Everrest] [#28]
LIVE: WALT DISNEY COMPANY EARNINGS CALL Q1 FY24 | LIVE Coverage & Analysis
WALT DISNEY COMPANY EARNINGS CALL Q1 FY24 | LIVE Coverage & Analysis
Link Posted: 2/7/2024 11:40:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FlashMan-7k] [#29]
Just did first skim of the earnings call video.

Timestamps:

33 minutes earnings call start

Q&A starts at 1:00

1:27 earnings call ends

No major meltdowns, they kept it tightly controlled.

Tim sweeney of epic seems to have reeled in Iger by showing Iger the screentime millenials and younger have on video games and iger wants a slice of that pie very badly (you could hear his voice tone shift and he got animated talking about it).  He talked about a 1.5 billion investment, they may be connecting their IP with fortnite in a virtual connection that will suck in your kids and get them to spend screen time and drain your bank accounts on disney content.

RE: their tv and movie studio output, iger is still clinging to fox's content as disney's content by pointing at the recent avatar movie as a disney win. Otherwise, I read his talk about their tv and movie content as being pure coping and "this is fine, everything is fine, I don't care that everything is burning down."

They all but admitted that their Q2 content sucked horribly and made no profits.

They are still talking about shuffling around ESPN and streaming content.

They've lost ~2 million usa ("core market") subs on D+ and they have started going after people who password share. "You can still access your account away from home ... for a fee."

Distinctly not present in this one is any disney original content mentioned, and their flagship segments - movies and tv - are taking it in the pants.

RE: Investments in the parks, the commentators on the video said bob was lying when bob said dis would be investing in all of their theme parks. That may be due to looking at public financials and where the funds are going or something like that? I don't recall exactly, but there is some sourcing for that.

My impression - and it's just an impression - is that disney is desperately cost cutting and has NO meaningful content to put out that will do well. This is also with them staring down the barrel of a state lawsuit against them re: the VERY ugly stuff that happened wtih them and the now defunct special district.

Treading water at best. Sinking more realistically. I am a dirty poor with zero investing experience, you are dumb if you listen to me for investing advice.
Link Posted: 2/8/2024 1:03:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: IceChimp] [#30]
Disney Wars - Gina Strikes Back

Interesting that Nelson Peltz and Elon Musk seem to be making moves, the mass layoffs at Disney would be epic if that happens.
Link Posted: 2/8/2024 1:52:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: FlashMan-7k] [#31]
Originally Posted By IceChimp:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIti9t6wyo0

Interesting that Nelson Peltz and Elon Musk seem to be making moves, the mass layoffs at Disney would be epic if that happens.
View Quote

Disney has already had epic mass layoffs.

They dumped .... IIRC 7000+ employees.

They have lliquidated entire departments, and not small ones either.

Peltz already has the right to vote perlmutter's shares in the fight with disney's board. At this point with perlmutter's shares and trian's shares, peltz is in control of the single largest bunch of shares.

If elon picks up a signficant number of shares and backs trian, iger could be far worse off.

ETA; what disney really needs is a cultural housecleaning. An unapologetic return to what was good when walt ran it.
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 11:36:51 PM EDT
[#32]

https://twitter.com/realchrisrufo/status/1757494954895815142
Video @ tweet.

It is from a few days after the rowdy trespass on J6 at the capitol.  The parental rights bill in florida came after this, introduced on 1/11/2022.

The bob he's referring to is, I think, chapek.

Iger is giving an explanation/apology for why disney should be getting involved in political topics and discussions ... by saying that things that are obviously political somehow magically aren't, so therefore they should talk about it, they won't get in trouble for doing it.

He makes his chosen politics and what he thinks the company should be involved in very very obvious. Yes, we all nod our heads and say "we knew it."  We don't often get these people explicitly saying it.

"... we've tended to shy away from politics, and in doing so, we've shied away from talking about things that aren't political at all like what we're talking about today. ..."

-----------------------

Context for those with a life:

Iger by hook or crook had chapek in the ceo suite as his sockpuppet - iger never even left his ceo office, and chapek was being referred to as as "little bob." See here for confirmation. Long story short, chapek wasn't a pushover but iger was still doing "the power behind the throne."
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 6:09:15 AM EDT
[#33]
ETA; what disney really needs is a cultural housecleaning. An unapologetic return to what was good when walt ran it.
View Quote

That just isn't possible when half to two-thirds of their employees are either gay or super-woke.
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 5:50:02 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By GunLvrPHD:

That just isn't possible when half to two-thirds of their employees are either gay or super-woke.
View All Quotes

Agreed.

A serious house cleaning would be a really hard climb for them.
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 6:12:33 PM EDT
[#35]

View All Quotes

It also isn't possible to complete it before AI rips the heart out of paid content creation. Once AI video creation reaches the point AI image generation is now reaching - it's game over for the idea of the billion dollar movie.
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 6:38:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FlashMan-7k] [#36]
Originally Posted By governmentman:

It also isn't possible to complete it before AI rips the heart out of paid content creation. Once AI video creation reaches the point AI image generation is now reaching - it's game over for the idea of the billion dollar movie.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By governmentman:

AI Generated Videos Just Changed Forever

Ignore the idiot clickbait title and have a watch.

Text based video generation took a huge leap in capability very recently.
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 8:35:45 PM EDT
[#37]
Disney SUED for Race Quotas. New Lawsuit Summary

They're getting sued for pulling the usual tricks to go around regulation and law to implement quotas based on race/sex/gender identity ... or in common terms, only hire leftists.

------------------------------------

https://dailycaller.com/2024/02/16/walt-disney-company-annual-shareholder-meeting-vote-transgender-coverage-payment-political-donations/
Disney Board Wants To Hide Political Donations, Spending On Sex Changes From Shareholders, Docs Reveal

The 2024 proxy vote ballot for Disney’s annual shareholder meeting, scheduled for April 2, reveals the board doesn’t want the public, or even their own shareholders, to know how much Disney spends on “gender transition compensation and benefits” for its staff. Despite the board’s suggested vote to shareholders, the National Legal and Policy Center (NLPC) and National Center for Public Policy Research (NCPPR) are urging the company to release the data.

In Disney’s 2024 “Notice of Annual Meeting of Shareholders and Proxy Statement,” Disney details how the NLPC and NCPPR notified the company that they intend to present proposals focused on these issues. Within the same document, Disney “affirms” that people who suffer from gender dysphoria can “transition to a different sex.”
Similarly, Disney doesn’t want shareholders to approve the publication of the company’s charitable and political donations. The board recommends a vote against “requesting a report on political expenditures” and “publication of recipients of charitable contributions.”

In their recommendation, NCPPR argued that there are “issues” with donating to certain groups who support sex-change surgeries, not just for the potential legal and medical issues listed above, but because is it “time Disney stop injecting itself into controversial and significant social policy issues,” the proposal stated.

This is not without reason or precedent. From up in the spoiler folds, from 6-5 : https://nb.fidelity.com/public/consultingportal/disneyportal/file_view.php?file_name=QA_Gender%20Affirmation%20Coverage_Revised%205192021.pdf
Disney’s Gender Affirmation Coverage Q&A

Gender Affirmation Coverage under Cigna Medical Plan Options Do the Cigna Medical Plan options cover Gender Affirmation procedures and services (transgender, gender transition)?

Yes. Coverage for Gender Affirmation/Transition procedures and services based on medical necessity (as defined by your doctor and medical team) is covered under the Cigna medical plan options.

What procedures and services are covered under Disney’s Gender Affirmation Coverage?

The Gender Affirmation Coverage applies to two populations. For adults (age 18 and over), covered procedures and services include breast augmentation/reduction, chest contouring, hair removal/transplantation, facial feminization surgery, genital implant or prosthesis, rhinoplasty, trachea shave/reduction, and vocal surgery/speech therapy. For adolescents (younger than age 18), coverage may include puberty-suppressing hormones, for those who have reached a certain stage of sexual development, under direction of an experienced pediatric endocrinologist.

Gender Affirmation Coverage under Kaiser

The Kaiser Plan in CA follows California’s state mandates. Therefore, Gender Affirmation coverage is based on what is required under California law. The coverage is different from what is covered under the Cigna plans.

Does the Kaiser HMO Plan cover Gender Affirmation procedures (transgender, gender transition)?

Yes. Kaiser offers Gender Affirmation coverage as mandated by the State of California. What procedures are covered under the Kaiser HMO Gender Affirmation Program? The Gender Affirmation benefit includes sexual reassignment surgery and mastectomy with chest reconstruction services, in addition to behavioral health and hormone therapy services.

Gender Affirmation Coverage under HMSA Plans – Hawaii

Effective January 2017, Gender Dysphoria Services to treat gender dysphoria will be covered in accord with HMSA’s medical policy and Hawaii and Federal law. Benefits vary depending on the type of service or supply received. Services will be covered at the same benefit level as other similar covered services.

Gender Dysphoria Services – covered, but only when deemed medically necessary to treat gender dysphoria. The copayment may vary depending on type of service or supply you receive.

•Gender reassignment surgery
•Hospital room and board
•Hormone injection therapy
•Laboratory monitoring
•Other gender reassignment surgery related services and supplies which are medically necessary and not excluded. These include but are not limited to sexual identification counseling, pre-surgery consultations and post-surgery follow up visits. Please note: Certain services must be pre-certified.
Reversal of Gender Reassignment Surgery – You are not covered for reversal of gender reassignment surgery, except in the case of a serious medical barrier to completing gender reassignment or the development of a serious medical condition requiring a reversal.
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 8:43:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Grunteled] [#38]
This lie is transparent and makes you look foolish, not the membership here, you.  There is simply no way you are unaware of 'why ARFCOM hates Disney".  If you were that would be impressive in it's own right for the dullness required but it isn't.  You know why.
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 8:49:16 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By Grunteled:

This lie is transparent and makes you look foolish, not the membership here, you.  There is simply no way you are unaware of 'why ARFCOM hates Disney".  If you were that would be impressive in it's own right for the dullness required but it isn't.  You know why.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Grunteled:
Originally Posted By 999monkeys:
Why does arfcom hate Disney?

I can’t keep up.

I’d never go, but that is because it seems like horrible value for money.

All anyone has to do is open the spoilers one by one in the OP.

Or watch/read the news in passing every once in a while.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 4:49:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Geralt55] [#40]

View All Quotes

Well, if they keep producing woke trash, they will make sure that the chunk of the audience that left (because they were producing woke trash) does not return.

As they've made it more expensive to make entertainment, they kinda DO need the parts of the general audience that they hate (For woke religious reasons).
They DO need those ratings.
They've brought this on themselves!

ETA: I remember when the crayoneating greybars of GD were doing the whole "OMG RELAX GUYS NONE OF THIS IS HAPPENING.
THEY'RE NOT INSERTING ANY MESSAGING INTO THE MOVIES, IT'S THE CURRENT YEAR GUYS COME ON SRSLY" crap.

And then the videos of people in meetings explaining that they were doing just that ^ came out repeatedly, and they were nowhere to be found.
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 9:00:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FlashMan-7k] [#41]
Disney World Has Gotten Too Expensive

Meant to be an average not super cost cutting but not expensive trip.

Two adults.
Bus ride from OIA.
One night at port orleans riverside.
Two magic kingdom tickets.
Genie +
Lightninglane
Hotel breakfast
Park lunch at columbia harbor house.
Park dinner at skiper canteen.
Park snacks, popcorn and coffee.

886$ for one day at disney for two adults. Not counting full costs.

He figures his cost in 2017 for the equivalent would be 567$

Family of 3, two parents and one child, six days in resort, four days in park, eating, genie + costs.   He figures 4,375$.

The worst part is ... he says he didn't enjoy the day in the park.
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 9:13:39 PM EDT
[#42]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiO1a9N65y4

Meant to be an average not super cost cutting but not expensive trip.

Two adults.
Bus ride from OIA.
One night at port orleans riverside.
Two magic kingdom tickets.
Genie +
Lightninglane
Hotel breakfast
Park lunch at columbia harbor house.
Park dinner at skiper canteen.
Park snacks, popcorn and coffee.

886$ for one day at disney for two adults. Not counting full costs.

He figures his cost in 2017 for the equivalent would be 567$

Family of 3, two parents and one child, six days in resort, four days in park, eating, genie + costs.   He figures 4,375$.

The worst part is ... he says he didn't enjoy the day in the park.
View Quote

Took the family to Disneyland for 2 days last weekend.

Kids tickets were $50/person/day. They are running a deal.  Military tickets were $100/adult/day. So, $600 on tickets for two days for a family of four. Hotel rooms were $225/night.  Figure $300/day on food. Hundred bucks or so on trinkets for the kids. A little under 2 grand for 2 days/nights at Disneyland. Could have saved a few hundred by bringing our own food. But yeah, it’s not cheap. All that said, the park was packed. And on the second day it rained all day too.
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 9:22:03 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By Low_Country:

Took the family to Disneyland for 2 days last weekend.

Kids tickets were $50/person/day. They are running a deal.  Military tickets were $100/adult/day. So, $600 on tickets for two days for a family of four. Hotel rooms were $225/night.  Figure $300/day on food. Hundred bucks or so on trinkets for the kids. A little under 2 grand for 2 days/nights at Disneyland. Could have saved a few hundred by bringing our own food. But yeah, it’s not cheap. All that said, the park was packed. And on the second day it rained all day too.
View Quote

So you funded the enemy.

Congrats?
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 9:26:16 PM EDT
[#44]
So how long until disney has to sell IP and PSA can buy the rights to Donald Duck or something?
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 9:35:10 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By Underscore_O_Three:

So you funded the enemy.

Congrats?
View Quote

Daughter turned 5 and wanted to go meet princesses.

We had a great time, and no grooming in sight.
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 4:37:21 PM EDT
[#46]
Bob Iger cut his Disney stake more than 80% in the past year

One year ago, Iger owned around a million shares, worth over $97.2 million. On last look, he owned less than 187,000 shares, a decline of about 844,00 or so shares. The value of the stake plunged around 80.2% to more than $19.2 million.

The question that may be foremost in many investors' minds is whether CEO Bob Iger is preparing to pack it in and let someone else take up the reins of reviving Disney. But of course, as mentioned, insiders sell shares for a variety of reasons. Time may tell what Iger is thinking or whether he knows something we don't.
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 4:47:06 PM EDT
[#47]
It is $886...not 886$
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 10:46:06 AM EDT
[#48]
Iger didn't sell 80% of his stock, he sold 94%
Bob Iger DROPS 94% of His Disney Shares BEFORE Proxy Vote?! The Peltz Plot Thickens!

Link Posted: 2/29/2024 10:57:59 AM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By AmericanPeople:
It is $886...not 886$
View Quote

Of all the trends the Kool Kids blindly follow, I find that one particularly annoying.

Link Posted: 2/29/2024 11:08:34 AM EDT
[#50]
Why do Hipsters keep writing US currency as 886$ ?   It $886.  The $ goes in the FRONT.
Page / 10
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top