Page / 44
Link Posted: 1/25/2024 10:55:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/25/2024 11:02:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Bama-Shooter:
Bud Light's Comeback Tour Will Hit the Super Bowl, Its Biggest Stage Yet
Anheuser-Busch continues to pump marketing dollars into its Bud Light revival strategy with an ad promising comedy

Bud Light is returning to the Super Bowl with a 60-second ad representing the beleaguered beer's biggest bid to recover from a consumer boycott last year.

Bud Light parent Anheuser-Busch will also run a minute-long Michelob Ultra commercial featuring soccer legend Lionel Messi, as well as a 30-second Budweiser spot highlighting the work of its wholesalers and featuring its Clydesdale horses, the company said.

"We need to make sure for these moments of massive reach that we choose the right brands to meet the moment, not only on the TV screen, but brands that can really scale out the opportunity that Super Bowl and the NFL playoffs and everything else provide," said Kyle Norrington, Anheuser-Busch's chief commercial officer. "These are the brands that we thought deserve that opportunity this year."

For this year's Super Bowl, Anheuser-Busch plans to spread its marketing budget at branded events across host city Las Vegas and advertise on the giant digital screen wrapping around the new Sphere arena. The Clydesdales will also be in Sin City to deliver Budweiser beer around town, Norrington said.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/bud-light-super-bowl-ad-2024-2824ab06
View Quote
It will still be fucked up.  The Clydesdales will be transgender my little ponies or some stupid shit and why the fuck would you have a soccer player on a stupor bowl commercial?
Link Posted: 1/25/2024 11:06:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Spaceboy:
It will still be fucked up.  The Clydesdales will be transgender my little ponies or some stupid shit and why the fuck would you have a soccer player on a stupor bowl commercial?
View Quote

It's a football game and he plays Futball.
Link Posted: 1/25/2024 11:21:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Will the ad play before or after the black national anthem?
Link Posted: 1/25/2024 12:07:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By outdoorgb:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

... (if I nail this commercial prediction ill offer winning lotto numbers for 5 bucks a pop, and 50% of prizes)

Arguable one of the 10 most famous athletes on planet, so prediction is it will be some sort of play on football vs Futball, while enjoying a bud.   "Football or Futball, enjoy a our questionably manufactured , questionably politic'd, questionably flavored malt drink" Messi gives a thumbs up with beverage in off hand
Link Posted: 1/25/2024 12:09:34 PM EDT
[#6]
I am just surprised they didn't jump on and support the LGBT night celebration for the Superbowl.

Smirnoff is supporting it instead. They aren't Russian and just Brit owned where tolerance is mandated.
Link Posted: 1/25/2024 12:14:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Scoobysmak:

Meh…the stock market is rigged.  Based off of feels and bad data, like last year the Gov said we were not in a recession because of strong jobs numbers.  What never made the headlines….the following months of corrections reducing those jobs numbers. Had the truth been put out the first time…

https://media.giphy.com/media/13cptIwW9bgzk6UVyr/giphy-downsized-large.gif
View Quote

The government hired over 600,000 people skewing the jobs numbers even more
Link Posted: 1/25/2024 5:58:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By SS65:
Will the ad play before or after the black national anthem?
View Quote
hopefully, they will pay tribute to it
Link Posted: 1/25/2024 11:05:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Geralt55] [#9]
Originally Posted By Scoobysmak:

Meh…the stock market is rigged.  Based off of feels and bad data, like last year the Gov said we were not in a recession because of strong jobs numbers.  What never made the headlines….the following months of corrections reducing those jobs numbers. Had the truth been put out the first time…

https://media.giphy.com/media/13cptIwW9bgzk6UVyr/giphy-downsized-large.gif
View Quote

They did that a lot during the Obummer years

Headline: "Strong economic growth defies expert predictions!"
What they want: Your left wing coworker to lecture you that the economy is awesome, and people keep their money in the stock market, and consuming

What happened: They claimed 2.0% "growth", but akshullly it was 1.8% ish.
again.

Fuckers.

Reminded me of that time we had the "muh fairywand" territory 4% growth, and they started to run psyops to try to start a recession.
"Is this a Sugar Rush??"
Translation: "Do not spend, take your money out, panic and get other people to panic plz"

The rationale was that somehow people keeping their own money, and having energy that was an artificially expensive, was somehow bad.
Link Posted: 1/25/2024 11:44:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By fsjdw2:

... (if I nail this commercial prediction ill offer winning lotto numbers for 5 bucks a pop, and 50% of prizes)

Arguable one of the 10 most famous athletes on planet, so prediction is it will be some sort of play on football vs Futball, while enjoying a bud.   "Football or Futball, enjoy a our questionably manufactured , questionably politic'd, questionably flavored malt drink" Messi gives a thumbs up with beverage in off hand
View All Quotes

I wouldn't be surprised if they brought the frogs and the penguins back.
Link Posted: 1/25/2024 11:47:18 PM EDT
[#11]
The industry is kind of screwed and it's not just Bud Light.
Link Posted: 1/26/2024 7:44:38 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By FlashMan-7k:

View Quote

Def bring the frogs back.  Jump on your bud.
Link Posted: 1/26/2024 7:53:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By dragoontwo:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By dragoontwo:

Knowing AB, they'd bring the frogs back and trans them, because frogs apparently can change sex.
Link Posted: 1/26/2024 9:43:43 PM EDT
[#14]

View All Quotes

I miss the penguins.   Not long ago I was treated like a crazy because others don't remember the penguins.
Link Posted: 1/26/2024 9:48:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FlashMan-7k] [#15]
Originally Posted By TechGal26:

I miss the penguins.   Not long ago I was treated like a crazy because others don't remember the penguins.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TechGal26:

From back when AB knew it's customers:

bud light commercial-mini fridge

ETA: someone should edit it and put the trans-flag onto the bl bottle in the fridge, stick the BL logo on inflictor, and "customers" on the giant hammer.
Link Posted: 1/26/2024 10:06:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: spmx7777] [#16]
Still trying to give away their piss water today with prices so low they’re illegal in Ohio ( state minimum pricing ).

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/26/2024 10:20:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Here in WI people are still buying and drinking it at a rate that AH hasn’t seen fit to offer massive coupons on it. That or the state pricing doesn’t allow it.
Link Posted: 1/26/2024 11:39:55 PM EDT
[#18]
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Bama-Shooter:
Bud Light's Comeback Tour Will Hit the Super Bowl, Its Biggest Stage Yet
Anheuser-Busch continues to pump marketing dollars into its Bud Light revival strategy with an ad promising comedy

Bud Light is returning to the Super Bowl with a 60-second ad representing the beleaguered beer's biggest bid to recover from a consumer boycott last year.

Bud Light parent Anheuser-Busch will also run a minute-long Michelob Ultra commercial featuring soccer legend Lionel Messi, as well as a 30-second Budweiser spot highlighting the work of its wholesalers and featuring its Clydesdale horses, the company said.

"We need to make sure for these moments of massive reach that we choose the right brands to meet the moment, not only on the TV screen, but brands that can really scale out the opportunity that Super Bowl and the NFL playoffs and everything else provide," said Kyle Norrington, Anheuser-Busch's chief commercial officer. "These are the brands that we thought deserve that opportunity this year."

For this year's Super Bowl, Anheuser-Busch plans to spread its marketing budget at branded events across host city Las Vegas and advertise on the giant digital screen wrapping around the new Sphere arena. The Clydesdales will also be in Sin City to deliver Budweiser beer around town, Norrington said.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/bud-light-super-bowl-ad-2024-2824ab06
Because soccer is what the NFL would be if it decided to change genders.

Link Posted: 2/1/2024 4:55:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 5:01:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Ghostface:
Sales still down 30%
View Quote

As stated it’s not a boycott. It’s brand abandonment. That 30% ain’t never coming back.
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 5:17:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Sales still down 30%
View Quote

Harvard marketing degree success with those numbers . Imagine how well Bud would have done with a community college grad.
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 5:19:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Sales still down 30%
View Quote

TY, adding it to OP.
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 5:23:19 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By spidey07:

As stated it’s not a boycott. It’s brand abandonment. That 30% ain’t never coming back.
View Quote

70% left.

I hope they go broke and have to put on wigs and open wide to feed their families.
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 5:24:44 PM EDT
[#24]

View Quote

At least not until they get thirsty. They did win Kid Rock back.
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 5:27:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FlashMan-7k] [#25]
Originally Posted By merick:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By merick:

I guess he didn't understand the gross insult it was to his mom, his sisters, his wife ...

Also, he as a lot more money on the line regarding it, so he's probably got some pressure others don't.

Not surprised he caved. Given the industry he's in, I also expect he's just used to being around people who are self destructive and think others should just accept that stuff being normalized. (translation: a seared conscience on those topics)
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 5:29:49 PM EDT
[#26]
Literally every hamburger on the earth is better than mcdonalds,  but mcd's still sells the shit out of them.
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 5:33:43 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By whiskerz:

Harvard marketing degree success with those numbers . Imagine how well Bud would have done with a community college grad.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By whiskerz:
Sales still down 30%

I have an AAS. I could come up with a better ad than trannie dude splashing in a bubble bath with Bud Light.
 25 seconds of dude watching bikini clad and soapy boobies washing a car windshield and 5 seconds of second big tittied girl jimmying the trunk and stealing dude's beer.
 THAT would sell beer.  
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 5:44:48 PM EDT
[#28]
They just partnered with Shane Gillis too.  That is actually a smart move, and so much for trying to be less fratty.
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 5:50:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KalmanPhilter] [#29]

View All Quotes
Sales still down 30%

Light American lagers are pretty interchangeable. I now avoid all AB products though. They can fuck off.
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 5:55:43 PM EDT
[#30]
FBL & FJB
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 5:58:57 PM EDT
[#31]

View Quote

It's kinda like seeing a person drink almond milk.

You get caught drinking Bud Lite and people will make assumptions about you.
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 6:06:31 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By GrinningDag:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By GrinningDag:

Shame and ridicule work.
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 6:12:51 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By KalmanPhilter:

Light American lagers are pretty interchangeable. I now avoid all AB products though. They can fuck off.
View Quote

Same. I don't even drink Space Dust anymore as Elysian Brewing is owned by AB Inbev.
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 6:15:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ghostface] [#34]

View Quote

Yeah, I only drink that swill at BBQs and while doing yard work in the summer. The rest of the time it’s real beer or my home brews….

Sad thing is, I actually like an ice cold Bud while at the ball park eating an hot dog…
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 7:14:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FlashMan-7k] [#35]
Originally Posted By showmeballer:
They just partnered with Shane Gillis too.  That is actually a smart move, and so much for trying to be less fratty.
View Quote

Good grief they couldn't find their backside with a map and a GPS.

"They're all bigots and jerks, we need them back, go find someone you think is a bigoted jerk and partner with him, his jerkery will bring them back in."

Anything, anthing at all BESIDES admitting what they did was wrong (eta: and showing meaningful evidence that you actually belive it to the point of being willing to suffer for it)

It's like dealing with 13 year old kids.

Nope, it's only "they're evil jerks."
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 7:15:46 PM EDT
[#36]

View All Quotes
Sales still down 30%

Agreed, many like our household have bought Bud for decades, we have now switched brands, like the new brand more, and are used to it, and will never go back.
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 8:23:18 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By kerry:

Agreed, many like our household have bought Bud for decades, we have now switched brands, like the new brand more, and are used to it, and will never go back.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By kerry:
Sales still down 30%

If you see somebody drinking bud, call them a tranny faggot.

Shane and ridicule work.
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 9:37:04 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By spmx7777:
Still trying to give away their piss water today with prices so low they’re illegal in Ohio ( state minimum pricing ).

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/113152/IMG_4994_jpeg-3108518.JPG
View Quote

Granted inflation, but 50 cents a can after rebate doesn't seem like a great price. Pre rebate on a 24 pack of mass market US light beer should be $15 tops.
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 9:48:58 PM EDT
[#39]
So that's why the info news stories about Clydesdales are popping up all over the media sites.
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 9:54:05 PM EDT
[#40]
The brewery workers may be going on strike soon too. That will sure help.
Link Posted: 2/7/2024 12:48:07 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 2/7/2024 2:16:13 AM EDT
[#42]

View Quote
Was drinking Mich Ultra. Switched to Guinness. Was a good switch, not going back.
Link Posted: 2/7/2024 2:53:25 AM EDT
[#43]

BFD. He's also pro covid vax. I'm still voting for him. My opinions and choices don't hinge on Trumps support.
Link Posted: 2/7/2024 10:58:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: basselope22] [#44]

No surprise.

Trump is a politician who wants votes and the ag industry makes a LOT of money selling to AB InBev. Fuck AB InBev and Budweiser, by the way.
Link Posted: 2/7/2024 3:41:43 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By basselope22:

No surprise.

Trump is a politician who wants votes and the ag industry makes a LOT of money selling to AB InBev. Fuck AB InBev and Budweiser, by the way.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By basselope22:

No surprise.

Reportedly an AB tied donor is doing an event for trump; source on this is politico.

I'm waiting a few days to see if it turns out to be true, or one of the legions of lies and deceptions that goes around about trump.
Link Posted: 2/7/2024 5:07:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FlashMan-7k] [#46]
From the NY post. We'll see how the donor angle ages.
https://nypost.com/2024/02/07/business/donald-trump-getting-bought-out-as-he-defends-bud-light-critics/
Donald Trump getting ‘bought out’ after pleading for Bud Light to get ‘second chance’ over transgender fiasco: critics
By Social Links for Ariel Zilber
Published Feb. 7, 2024, 3:35 p.m. ET

Donald Trump called for a cease-fire in the culture war over Bud Light’s transgender fiasco – a move that provoked critics to claim he was getting “bought out” by mega-brewer Anheuser-Busch.

The former president took to his social media platform Truth Social on Tuesday and declared that Anheuser-Busch was “not a woke company” and that it had already paid a “very big price” for Bud Light’s ad campaign featuring transgender social media influencer Dylan Mulvaney.

Trump added that it was time to move on from outrage over the ads, which he called “a mistake of epic proportions.”

The former president noted that Anheuser-Busch “spends $700 million a year with our great farmers” and employs 65,000 Americans.

Trump urged his followers to give Bud Light a “second chance” and to shun other companies that “are looking to destroy America!”

Trump’s post on Truth Social came just weeks before a top GOP lobbyist for Anheuser-Busch was scheduled to host a fundraiser for the former president’s re-election campaign, according to Politico.

Jeff Miller, the lobbyist who is known to be close to former House Speaker Kevin McCarthy, announced on the X social media platform that he would be hosting the fundraiser, which is charging attendees $10,000 a head.

Dozens of GOP lawmakers are scheduled to attend — as is the former president’s eldest son, Donald Trump Jr.

Don Jr. has defended Anheuser-Busch in the past. In a podcast last year, he noted that the company donated more to Republicans than to Democrats.

Noah Rothman, a writer for National Review, criticized Trump for his embrace of Anheuser-Busch — accusing the 45th president of getting “bought out of the culture wars.”

Rothman noted that both Trump and Anheuser-Busch have a vested financial interest in a truce since the boycott of Bud Light put a dent in the company’s earnings while the Republican National Committee is “struggling financially.”

“Trump and Anheuser-Busch need one another,” Rothman wrote.

“Their mutual admiration is set to cool the tensions between Bud Light and the customers the brand communicated in no uncertain terms it did not want.”

Rothman also took Trump to task for abandoning the “effective and organic effort by cultural conservatives to convince corporate America that social-justice activism doesn’t pay.”

“Not only does it pay, it pays off all the right people,” Rothman wrote.

Trump’s call for peace with Anheuser-Busch was seconded by Caitlyn Jenner, who called Anheuser-Busch an “incredible American company.”

“They made a huge mistake and have paid a large price,” the conservative reality TV star shared to X on Tuesday.

Anheuser-Busch will look to take another step in reclaiming its dominant position among American beer-drinkers during Super Bowl weekend, when it will air a commercial on the most watched television program of the year.

The perennial Super Bowl marketer is bringing back fan-favorite characters the Clydesdales and a Labrador Retriever — a nod to the dogs that starred in earlier commercials during advertising’s biggest night.
View Quote

No, trump, AB and Inbev are still  "woke" ... in both meanings of that term.

Also:

Trump’s call for peace with Anheuser-Busch was seconded by Caitlyn Jenner, who called Anheuser-Busch an “incredible American company.”

“They made a huge mistake and have paid a large price,” the conservative reality TV star shared to X on Tuesday.

.... the irony of calling bruce jenner a conservative when he's actively participating in the destruction of the very idea of male and female ...

AB being the worst sort of woke:

5-24-23
https://archive.md/rYELw
In the video, one employee of Anheuser-Busch explains, "we're still 40 percent women, and 60 percent men, still predominantly white: so there's still work to be done." The "work" to be "done" is apparently replacing white male workers with alternatives.

To a Future With More Diversity, Inclusion, Cheers.

https://web.archive.org/web/20230521052258/https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYUpsy2PPmo
Kinda explains why that firm filed suit against them.

^^^^ I haven't seen any indication that they realized that this and DEI are wrong, and honestly apologized for it and than moved to expunge it from their company.

We know what it looks like when a company gets rid of the "woke" practices. We've seen examples before:

https://world.hey.com/jason/changes-at-basecamp-7f32afc5

Jason Fried

April 26, 2021
Changes at Basecamp
At Basecamp, we treat our company as a product. It's not a rigid thing that exists, it's a flexible, malleable idea that evolves. We aren't stuck with what we have, we can create what we want. Just as we improve products through iteration, we iterate on our company too.

Recently, we've made some internal company changes, which, taken in total, collectively feel like a full version change. It deserves an announcement.

In the product world, not all changes are enjoyed by all customers. Some changes are immediately appreciated. Some changes take time to steep, settle in, and get acquainted with. And to some, some changes never feel quite right — they may even be deal breakers.

The same is true when changing your company, except that the customers are the employees. And when you get to a certain count — customers or employees or both — there's no pleasing everyone. You can't — there are too many unique perspectives, experiences, and individuals.

As Huxley offers in The Doors of Perception, "We live together, we act on, and react to, one another; but always and in all circumstances we are by ourselves. The martyrs go hand in hand into the arena; they are crucified alone. Embraced, the lovers desperately try to fuse their insulated ecstasies into a single self-transcendence; in vain. By its very nature every embodied spirit is doomed to suffer and enjoy in solitude."

Heavy, yes, but insightful, absolutely. A relevant reminder. We make individual choices.

We all want different somethings. Some slightly different, some substantially. Companies, however, must settle the collective difference, pick a point, and navigate towards somewhere, lest they get stuck circling nowhere.

With that, we wanted to put these directional changes on the public record. Historically we've tried to share as much as we can — for us, and for you — so this transmission continues the tradition.

1. No more societal and political discussions on our company Basecamp account. Today's social and political waters are especially choppy. Sensitivities are at 11, and every discussion remotely related to politics, advocacy, or society at large quickly spins away from pleasant. You shouldn't have to wonder if staying out of it means you're complicit, or wading into it means you're a target. These are difficult enough waters to navigate in life, but significantly more so at work. It's become too much. It's a major distraction. It saps our energy, and redirects our dialog towards dark places. It's not healthy, it hasn't served us well. And we're done with it on our company Basecamp account where the work happens. People can take the conversations with willing co-workers to Signal, Whatsapp, or even a personal Basecamp account, but it can't happen where the work happens anymore. Update: David has shared some more details and more of the internal announcement on his HEY World blog.

2. No more paternalistic benefits. For years we've offered a fitness benefit, a wellness allowance, a farmer's market share, and continuing education allowances. They felt good at the time, but we've had a change of heart. It's none of our business what you do outside of work, and it's not Basecamp's place to encourage certain behaviors — regardless of good intention. By providing funds for certain things, we're getting too deep into nudging people's personal, individual choices. So we've ended these benefits, and, as compensation, paid every employee the full cash value of the benefits for this year. In addition, we recently introduced a 10% profit sharing plan to provide direct compensation that people can spend on whatever they'd like, privately, without company involvement or judgement.

3. No more committees. For nearly all of our 21 year existence, we were proudly committee-free. No big working groups making big decisions, or putting forward formalized, groupthink recommendations. No bureaucracy. But recently, a few sprung up. No longer. We're turning things back over to the person (or people) who were distinctly hired to make those decisions. The responsibility for DEI work returns to Andrea, our head of People Ops. The responsibility for negotiating use restrictions and moral quandaries returns to me and David. A long-standing group of managers called "Small Council" will disband — when we need advice or counsel we'll ask individuals with direct relevant experience rather than a pre-defined group at large. Back to basics, back to individual responsibility, back to work.

4. No more lingering or dwelling on past decisions. We've become a bit too precious with decision making over the last few years. Either by wallowing in indecisiveness, worrying ourselves into overthinking things, taking on a defensive posture and assuming the worst outcome is the likely outcome, putting too much energy into something that only needed a quick fix, inadvertently derailing projects when casual suggestions are taken as essential imperatives, or rehashing decisions in different forums or mediums. It's time to get back to making calls, explaining why once, and moving on.

5. No more 360 reviews. Employee performance reviews used to be straightforward. A meeting with your manager or team lead, direct feedback, and recommendations for improvement. Then a few years ago we made it hard. Worse, really. We introduced 360s, which required peers to provide feedback on peers. The problem is, peer feedback is often positive and reassuring, which is fun to read but not very useful. Assigning peer surveys started to feel like assigning busy work. Manager/employee feedback should be flowing pretty freely back and forth throughout the year. No need to add performative paperwork on top of that natural interaction. So we're done with 360s, too.

6. No forgetting what we do here. We make project management, team communication, and email software. We are not a social impact company. Our impact is contained to what we do and how we do it. We write business books, blog a ton, speak regularly, we open source software, we give back an inordinate amount to our industry given our size. And we're damn proud of it. Our work, plus that kind of giving, should occupy our full attention. We don't have to solve deep social problems, chime in publicly whenever the world requests our opinion on the major issues of the day, or get behind one movement or another with time or treasure. These are all important topics, but they're not our topics at work — they're not what we collectively do here. Employees are free to take up whatever cause they want, support whatever movements they'd like, and speak out on whatever horrible injustices are being perpetrated on this group or that (and, unfortunately, there are far too many to choose from). But that's their business, not ours. We're in the business of making software, and a few tangential things that touch that edge. We're responsible for ourselves. That's more than enough for us.

This may look like compression. A reduction, an elimination. And it is. It's precisely that. We're compressing X to allow for expansion in Y. A return to whole minds that can focus fully on the work we choose to do. A return to a low-ceremony steady state where we can make decisions and move on. A return to personal responsibility and good faith trust in one another to do our own individual jobs well. A return to why we started the company. A return to what we do best.

Who's responsible for these changes? David and I are. Who made the changes? David and I did. These are our calls, and the outcomes and impacts land at our doorstep. Input came from many sources, disagreements were heard, deliberations were had. In the end, we feel like this is the long-term healthy way forward for Basecamp as a whole — the company and our products.

When you've been around 20 years, you've been through change. You're used to it, and comfortable with it. These changes are part of a continuum in the experiment of independence that is Basecamp (and 37signals before that). We'll eventually run headlong into big change again. This is what we've done, and this is what we'll do — time guarantees it.

We're very much looking forward to this new version of the company. Once the construction site is cleaned up, and the dust settles, we believe we'll see a refocused, refreshed, and revitalized Basecamp. Here we go, again.

About Jason Fried
Hey! I'm Jason, the Co-Founder and CEO at 37signals, makers of Basecamp and HEY. Subscribe below to follow my thinking on business, design, product development, and whatever else is on my mind. Thanks for visiting, thanks for reading.

Sent to the world with HEY
View Quote

1. No more societal and political discussions on our company Basecamp account.

2. No more paternalistic benefits. For years we've offered a fitness benefit, a wellness allowance, a farmer's market share, and continuing education allowances. They felt good at the time, but we've had a change of heart. It's none of our business what you do outside of work, and it's not Basecamp's place to encourage certain behaviors — regardless of good intention.

3. No more committees. For nearly all of our 21 year existence, we were proudly committee-free. No big working groups making big decisions, or putting forward formalized, groupthink recommendations. No bureaucracy. But recently, a few sprung up. No longer. We're turning things back over to the person (or people) who were distinctly hired to make those decisions.

4. No more lingering or dwelling on past decisions. We've become a bit too precious with decision making over the last few years. ... It's time to get back to making calls, explaining why once, and moving on.

5. No more 360 reviews. Employee performance reviews used to be straightforward. A meeting with your manager or team lead, direct feedback, and recommendations for improvement. Then a few years ago we made it hard.

6. No forgetting what we do here. We make project management, team communication, and email software. We are not a social impact company. Our impact is contained to what we do and how we do it.

AB is still woke, and not the ignorant and wrong meaning that the dems use ("just be nice")
Link Posted: 2/7/2024 5:10:08 PM EDT
[#47]
Modelo cans I see on the side of the roads lately. It used to be Bud Light.

Just an observation.
Link Posted: 2/7/2024 5:11:15 PM EDT
[#48]
Went to a concert last night in downtown STL. I wanted a beer but they were only selling BL. So I didn’t have a beer.
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 9:07:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FlashMan-7k] [#49]
Post-trump-statement coping mechanisms seem to be in play:
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/anheuser-busch-inbev-stock-rises-as-trump-says-bud-light-maker-should-get-second-chance-8a67fae1

Referenced Symbols

ABI     -1.14%
   BUD     -1.68%

Anheuser-Busch InBev shares saw their best one-day rise in three months on Wednesday after getting an endorsement from former President Donald Trump, who said people should give the brewer a second chance.

In Brussels trade, the stock ABI, -1.14% BUD, -1.68% rose 4%, its best single day of gains since a 5% rise on Oct. 31.
Somehow, I just don't think brussels is where they lost most of their customers.

Huff that copium!
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 12:49:14 AM EDT
[#50]
https://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2024/02/forgive_anheuserbusch_over_bud_light_not_yet.html
February 10, 2024
Forgive Anheuser-Busch over Bud Light? Not yet.
By W.A. Eliot

On Tuesday, Donald Trump posted on Truth Social that Anheuser-Busch made a very bad mistake with Bud Light, but it is not a woke company, and among other things, it helps farmers and employs veterans.  He then says, “Anheuser-Busch is a Great American Brand that perhaps deserves a Second Chance?  What do you think?”

I’m glad you asked, Donald.  My answer is no, not yet.  First, some other opinions.

On the same day Trump posted the above, Brandon Morse, writing for RedState and without mentioning Trump (the time stamp for Morse’s article is 2:15 P.M., while for Trump’s it is 3:30 P.M., so it appears that Morse posted first), claimed that A-B has done enough by firing the executives responsible for the ad, teaming with UFC, and hiring a “conservative-friendly comedian” as a representative.  Furthermore, realistically, a big company like A-B will not be destroyed, so it’s time to declare victory and end the boycott.  Nowhere does he mention the need for an apology.  Stephen Green, writing for PJ Media, is more neutral, acknowledging that A-B has not really apologized, but, referencing Trump, asks if it’s time to end the boycott.  Shawn Fleetwood, writing for The Federalist, claims in the title that “Trump’s Defense of Anheuser-Busch Undermines Conservatives’ Most Effective Boycott Yet.”  He wonders aloud whether “a top Anheuser-Busch GOP lobbyist ... hosting a fundraiser” for Trump next month or Trump’s financial investments in A-B has anything to do with Trump’s plea.  Fleetwood emphasizes that A-B has never apologized, both for promoting transgenderism — in fact, it continued to push it by sponsoring LGBT pride events — and for insulting its customers.  He says ending the boycott now would just embolden other companies to continue pushing radical leftism down our throats.

I couldn’t agree more.  The reality is that companies have decided they’d rather support groups pushing woke causes — even if it means smaller profits — rather than be singled out for withering criticism by a loud woke mob and a compliant MSM, as well as risk being blacklisted (which could sink the company altogether).  When the NFL gives $250 million to BLM and puts BLM logos on the field and helmets, is it because it shares BLM’s Marxist vision for America (just think what that would mean for NFL profits) and approves of wanton death and destruction, or is it because it’s just easier to pay mafia protection money?  When MLB moved the All-Star game out of Atlanta (hurting mostly minority businesses) shortly after President Biden said it would be a good idea, and Atlanta companies such as Coke and Delta joined the movement, is it because they really believed that Georgia’s sensible reforms minimizing election fraud would restrict Blacks and other minorities from voting?  Of course not.  Coke and Delta backed off after they sensed there might be a boycott against them.  Do all these companies pushing DIE training labeling all whites as racist believe it will eliminate racism, is good for morale and the bottom line?  Of course not.  These companies are starting to back off DIE only because of messy lawsuits charging them with violating the Constitution and civil rights laws.  A-B thought it was just another company pandering to the woke mob and was stunned to get burned.  Ending the Bud Light boycott now sends the wrong message.

I’ll add another reason not to end the boycott just yet.  We live in an era in which those with conservative or traditional values are not allowed to express genuine views that used to be mainstream and common sense just a short time ago without being labeled racist, getting removed from social media, and possibly losing their jobs.  Add in government-sponsored censorship targeting just this one side.  The stakes are too high.  Rather than forgive and forget, we should be increasing the penalties for corporate woke excesses so they think twice.

Is there anything Anheuser-Busch can do to get back in our good graces?  For starters, a sincere apology.  No, “We’re sorry we lost money” doesn’t cut it.  I don’t expect the apology to be one rejecting transgenderism outright, but it could be one in which the company says it is sorry it pushed support for an alternative lifestyle on consumers who may not share those views and will refrain from doing so in future, and it is so sorry the executive inappropriately insulted the customers and that the company did not repudiate her comments immediately.  I would also recommend changing the beer name slightly, say from Bud Light to Buds Light, the plural indicating the camaraderie of drinking bud(die)s and also an eternal reminder of the change we effected.  I think I’d be willing to forgive under those conditions.  I might even buy Buds Light.

W.A. Eliot is a pseudonym.
View Quote

The reality is that companies have decided they’d rather support groups pushing woke causes — even if it means smaller profits — rather than be singled out for withering criticism by a loud woke mob and a compliant MSM, as well as risk being blacklisted (which could sink the company altogether).  When the NFL gives $250 million to BLM and puts BLM logos on the field and helmets, is it because it shares BLM’s Marxist vision for America (just think what that would mean for NFL profits) and approves of wanton death and destruction, or is it because it’s just easier to pay mafia protection money?
Fleetwood emphasizes that A-B has never apologized, both for promoting transgenderism — in fact, it continued to push it by sponsoring LGBT pride events — and for insulting its customers.  He says ending the boycott now would just embolden other companies to continue pushing radical leftism down our throats.

I’ll add another reason not to end the boycott just yet.  We live in an era in which those with conservative or traditional values are not allowed to express genuine views that used to be mainstream and common sense just a short time ago without being labeled racist, getting removed from social media, and possibly losing their jobs.  Add in government-sponsored censorship targeting just this one side.  The stakes are too high.  Rather than forgive and forget, we should be increasing the penalties for corporate woke excesses so they think twice.

Is there anything Anheuser-Busch can do to get back in our good graces?  For starters, a sincere apology.  No, “We’re sorry we lost money” doesn’t cut it.

The fact that AB was (and AFAIK still is?) engaging in identitarian hiring (and I suspect firing) that boils down to being racism and sexism indicates that they need to clean house.  At least in the way basecamp did.

Basically, this is not just about AB and inbev (again, a dutch/european company).  It's this modern popular form of racism and bigotry that needs to take the loss.  AB just volunteered to place itself on the table as the sacrifice, and even though they've been repeatedly told what they can do to get otu of this mess, they have utterly refused.

The discipline should fit the bad behavior. People who run corps need to realize that if they take the mafia protection money, they will get what they deserve for doing that.
Page / 44
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top