User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 44
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 1:42:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By DK-Prof:

They still don't fucking get it.

No, what they NEED to do is to clarify the fact that they made a mistake.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Anheuser-Busch chief executive, Michel Doukeris has attempted to distance the company from the Mulvaney partnership and told investors during an earnings call last week, “We need to clarify the facts that this was one can, one influencer, one post and not a campaign".

At this point, it doesn’t matter if it was one can or a billion, one post or an entire campaign. The damage has been done. I don’t know if they just don’t realize that, or if they’re willfully trying to minimize and ignore it.
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 1:46:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By ATLDiver:
A-B deserves to be put out of business for the countless microbreweries they’ve run out of business or bought up. Not to mention their BS games in the retail space choking out smaller breweries.
View Quote

This is definitely another reason to not buy AB products. Good point.
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 1:46:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By -Obsessed-:

Wow a single brand! No way!

People just moved to one of their other brands. Hence why their volume (as a company) barely moved. It's called recapture, and it happens in nearly every industry.

This truly is not going to make ANY lasting impact. By year end, sales will mostly have recovered most likely (keep in mind market growth alone is about a 110 in this segment) and so even if they only hold onto the share they have now, they'll basically be flat by year end anyway. Okay, so they didn't grow this year. BFD. Again this is why investors aren't punishing them; they know this is inconsequential to the overall health and financial attractiveness of AB.
View Quote
You seem awfully concerned about telling us how futile the boycott is, fellow firearms enthusiast.
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 1:48:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 1:51:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 1:54:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By FlashMan-7k:
If this keeps going ...

GD group buy of the clydesdales?  
View Quote

Does horse meat taste any good?
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 1:54:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Mach:

Same

as is everybody I know

they will probably not recover
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Mach:
Originally Posted By BlueCoyote:
At this point it doesn’t matter what they say or do, will never buy any of their brands again.

Same

as is everybody I know

they will probably not recover

I was sorry to see Leffe, Hoegarden, Pilsner Urquell, and Stella Artois on that list.    

...   But, I can find alternatives  ;-)
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 1:55:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Pabst Blue Ribbon was also up 18.9 percent

i probably account for at least .9%

switched from Labatt to PBR.
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 2:00:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By daveo:

@freebeer   😂
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By daveo:
Originally Posted By countryflatlander:
In before the free beer is free beer even if it's got tranny cum in it crowd?

@freebeer   😂

i have at least 11 cases of PBR since the shit show started.
its still free to whomever shares my company.
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 2:02:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By AngryNagant:
You seem awfully concerned about telling us how futile the boycott is, fellow firearms enthusiast.
View Quote

Because everyone is high fiving in a circle jerk over nothing.

This is an EXACT repeat of the Gillette toxic masculinity campaign. Everyone cheering boycotts. In that thread I said I guarantee they are not hurt from it. I was chased out of that thread.

The next quarter they published record breaking sales. The highest ever.

Quarter after that they broke the record again. And again the quarter after that.

Go woke go broke is a complete myth.
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 2:05:36 PM EDT
[#11]

People just moved to one of their other brands. Hence why their volume (as a company) barely moved. It's called recapture, and it happens in nearly every industry.

This truly is not going to make ANY lasting impact. By year end, sales will mostly have recovered most likely (keep in mind market growth alone is about a 110 in this segment) and so even if they only hold onto the share they have now, they'll basically be flat by year end anyway. Okay, so they didn't grow this year. BFD. Again this is why investors aren't punishing them; they know this is inconsequential to the overall health and financial attractiveness of AB.
View Quote
Even if sales completely rebound, which is doubtful, they're still not getting back the 7 billion dollars they lost.   It's not like everyone who stopped buying AB products is just going to buy extra beer for the stuff they didn't buy.  Maybe if the boycott was drastically slowing down, you'd be on to something here, but that's not the case.  The numbers appear to actually be getting worse for AB as a whole.  You can say it's not affecting AB, but their own actions (cheesy ads, statements trying to manuever their way out of this mess) clearly indicate otherwise.
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 2:07:24 PM EDT
[#12]

This is an EXACT repeat of the Gillette toxic masculinity campaign. Everyone cheering boycotts. In that thread I said I guarantee they are not hurt from it. I was chased out of that thread.

Quarter after that they broke the record again. And again the quarter after that.

View Quote
Do you wonder why ESPN keeps having to lay people off?
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 2:08:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Kubota3430:
Lack of firing Harvard MBA girl and a non-apology from the ex-CIA CEO keeps hurting them, which is a good thing.
View Quote

If they force her trannies will fire bomb the place.

They’ve already pissed off both sides the left will go to war if they force her.
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 2:08:36 PM EDT
[#14]

View Quote
I was as skeptical as anyone else that this boycott would actually have teeth, but I'm not to proud to admit that I was wrong.
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 2:08:40 PM EDT
[#15]

View Quote
If that's true then why is AB emailing their distributors behind the scenes about the situation?  Why did they put the execs on leave?  They should be getting a promotion if they are looking at record breaking sales like Gillette.
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 2:09:58 PM EDT
[#16]
It's not nearly as bad as people are making it out to be.

AB sales down 12%. Profits down 6%.

It's hardly a catastrophe and is barely a blip on the radar.

Stock price reflects the insignificance of this event.

But enjoy your fantasy land I guess.
View Quote

How many advertising dollars do you think a company that size would spend to raise their profits 12%
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 2:10:41 PM EDT
[#17]
If that's true then why is AB emailing their distributors behind the scenes about the situation?  Why did they put the execs on leave?  They should be getting a promotion if they are looking at record breaking sales like Gillette.
View All Quotes

And why are they finding it difficult to GIVE AWAY their beer? $20 is $20, right?
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 2:14:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: -Obsessed-] [#18]
Originally Posted By agillig:
Even if sales completely rebound, which is doubtful, they're still not getting back the 7 billion dollars they lost.   It's not like everyone who stopped buying AB products is just going to buy extra beer for the stuff they didn't buy.  Maybe if the boycott was drastically slowing down, you'd be on to something here, but that's not the case.  The numbers appear to actually be getting worse for AB as a whole.  You can say it's not affecting AB, but their own actions (cheesy ads, statements trying to manuever their way out of this mess) clearly indicate otherwise.
View Quote

I don't think you understand how sales and profit are measured in the stock market and how companies are valued.

Nobody gives a shit about the 7 billion lost. It's nothing. So you end your year's sales at a 100ix on sales and about a 103ix probably on profit. Still up from the year, so stock price will go up all else equal. In a company like AB fixed overhead cost like SG&A is probably 3% of sales and depreciation which is non cash is maybe 20%. So cash expense is probably somewhere around 90% variable. So they have very little fixed cost hurt from this, so they simply see a consumption shift and frankly a 6% consumption shift sometimes happens in a normal year if competition is stiff, which isn't uncommon.

And this is with all the media blowing it up. Give it two months for shit to blow over and their guidance to wall street (which was barely altered) will likely rebound.
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 2:15:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By fargo007:

Because if they fire her, she'll tell the entire story of how all of the C level leadership knew of this, approved it with alacrity, and was fully supportive of it.  

Her compensation is now essentially hush money.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By fargo007:
Originally Posted By mayday:

Yet they STILL dont have the balls to fire the moron girl that did this.  Which says a lot.

If i caused a 7 billion loss at my work; everyone including the janitor would line up to kick my balls -- and then four guys would grab me, lift me off the ground, open the front door with my head and heave me into traffic.

Because if they fire her, she'll tell the entire story of how all of the C level leadership knew of this, approved it with alacrity, and was fully supportive of it.  

Her compensation is now essentially hush money.

She is also likely in a contract for a certain amount of time so they still have to pay her whether she is actively working or not.

If they terminate the contract she still gets the agreed upon pay plus there may be clauses that allow her to seek "damages", etc.

Also if she is released, that may terminate any non-disclosure agreements contained in her contract and could possibly allow her to speak out about what really happened internally, and they don't want that to happen.
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 2:20:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Millennial:

Years ago, a part I designed was specifically named as a primary contributor to the total loss of a nearly $200M prototype during a flight test. It iced up during the ascent, f’ed everything up, and ultimately the FAA made us activate the flight termination system once we were over a remote area.  It literally crashed & burned.

And they still let me work there
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Millennial:
Originally Posted By mayday:

Yet they STILL dont have the balls to fire the moron girl that did this.  Which says a lot.

If i caused a 7 billion loss at my work; everyone including the janitor would line up to kick my balls -- and then four guys would grab me, lift me off the ground, open the front door with my head and heave me into traffic.

Years ago, a part I designed was specifically named as a primary contributor to the total loss of a nearly $200M prototype during a flight test. It iced up during the ascent, f’ed everything up, and ultimately the FAA made us activate the flight termination system once we were over a remote area.  It literally crashed & burned.

And they still let me work there

@Millennial ... Is your office hiring? can you get me an interview?

seriously though, did you get a bonus that quarter?
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 2:20:29 PM EDT
[#21]
My wife has drunk Michelob Ultra for the past 10 years, she told me today that she didn't realize that AB made it. She said don't buy it anymore. She can't stand transwomen. She is not stopping drinking beer, she is not drinking AB beer anymore.
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 2:20:38 PM EDT
[#22]
View Quote

Because optics matter. Notice how they have yet to say they were wrong. That's because they don't think they are and saying they were wrong does harm, not good.

They released a commercial with horsies and flags and literally their sales gap closed 50% after that. It worked, despite what you read in Arfcom and in the echo chambers.

Time will close the rest of the gap.

I'm not saying they'll break a record. But I bet profits are going to be flat vs YA, worst case.
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 2:21:26 PM EDT
[#23]

View Quote

Some rounding but close enough...
Coors/Miller up 20%
Yuengling up 20%
PBR up 20%

Those increases in sales are mostly people who switched from Bud to something different (not under the Bud umbrella).

Coors/Miller is woke too, giving over $600,000 to LGBTQ+ whatever.

Yuengling and PBR don't have a woke aftertaste.

Anyway, people who switched from Bud to Yuengling and/or PBR are not going to switch back to trans fluid because they (Bud) triple the ad spending.

A lot of Bud's lost customers found alternatives that tase better and won't be going back.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 2:21:29 PM EDT
[#24]

View Quote

When they can't even give the shit away sales aren't down 12%.
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 2:23:39 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Ridgerunner9876:

How many advertising dollars do you think a company that size would spend to raise their profits 12%
View Quote

They don't need to raise profits 12%. They need to raise it 6% to get back to where they were on a trajectory (which, was already upward btw so they have general market expansion tailwinds).

Most good advertising companies look to a 3:1 payout on advertising dollars. So 2% of sales.

The average Fortune 500 company that is in the consumer goods industry spends somewhere between 15-20% on advertising, so they may have to spend 10% more advertising dollars to get it back.

So again...not a huge hit.

Not that you were looking for a real answer but there it is.
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 2:25:08 PM EDT
[#26]

WTF...Corona and Pacifico and Modelo are under AB/INBEV??? WTF shitty 'Mexican' lager am I supposed to drink? Pacifico and Modelo are my favorites.
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 2:28:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Never underestimate the ability of a manager to screw up a good thing.
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 2:30:19 PM EDT
[#28]
I am very happy to see them taking it in the shorts. May this trend continue!
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 2:31:50 PM EDT
[#29]
Its the LGBTQ community that should really be upset about BL's campaign.  It makes them all out to look like attention seeking mental cases that...  oh wait.
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 2:33:31 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 2:34:15 PM EDT
[#31]

View Quote

You doth protest too much, me thinks.
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 2:34:17 PM EDT
[#32]

View Quote

They weren't hurt but completely turned their marketing around...  Yeah right.
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 2:35:49 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 2:36:45 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Blackbeard28:

Fucking Brazilian dumbass still doesn't get it.

I hope it all burns to the ground.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Blackbeard28:
Anheuser-Busch chief executive, Michel Doukeris has attempted to distance the company from the Mulvaney partnership and told investors during an earnings call last week, “We need to clarify the facts that this was one can, one influencer, one post and not a campaign.

Fucking Brazilian dumbass still doesn't get it.

I hope it all burns to the ground.

IIRC, it broke on April 1st. I thought it was an April Fool's joke. They completely missed an opportunity. I don't think I've had a bud product in 10 or 20 years. I do like some of the Inbev products like Modelo, Hoegarrden, Leffe, etc. These days my go to is Hopsecutioner.
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 2:39:40 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Orion10182011:
I wish they would quit referring to it as her.  Call Dylan him or it...
View Quote

EXACTLY!

I can start calling myself a potato chip, go the rest of my life saying I'm a potato chip. That still doesn't make me a potato chip.
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 2:43:21 PM EDT
[#36]
Went to a bar last week. Wife asked the bartender if anyone was drinking Bud Lite.

Bartender says sales are way down and customers that order it get mocked by other customers for drinking “tranny fluid.”
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 2:45:16 PM EDT
[#37]
View Quote

I noticed the same thing.
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 2:47:13 PM EDT
[#38]
Need to shop some for sale signs on them
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 2:54:37 PM EDT
[#39]
Good. I’ll keep drinking Paulaner.
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 2:58:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RayFromJersey] [#40]
The Gillette boycott comparison is silly. A basic boycott of the brand (Procter & Gamble) involves navigating a spider web of all sorts of products including soaps, tampons, hair products, medicines, household cleaners, etc. We're talking a combination of hundreds of different brands and products that you'd have to memorize and boycott, making your grocery store trips a miserable mess.

The Bud Light boycott? You just have to boycott a couple beers. Pick one single alternative beer and you've successfully boycotted the entire company
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 3:04:22 PM EDT
[#41]

Yep.

It's a hilarious shitshow.
View Quote

I don't even drink & have been enjoying the show.

Someone mentioned earlier that the loss of Memorial Day weekend sales are going to bite them hard.

I'm kind of looking forward to it, honestly.
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 3:05:38 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By RayFromJersey:
The Gillette boycott comparison is silly. A basic boycott of the brand (Procter & Gamble) involves navigating a spider web of all sorts of products including soaps, tampons, hair products, medicines, household cleaners, etc. We're talking a combination of hundreds of different brands and products that you'd have to memorize and boycott, making your grocery store trips a miserable mess.

The Bud Light boycott? You just have to boycott a couple beers. Pick one single alternative beer and you've successfully boycotted the entire company
View Quote

I wasn't comparing it to P&G.

I was comparing it to Gillette only. Gillette has broken all those sales records. Their parent company has not due to a series of divestitures over the past decade.
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 3:08:55 PM EDT
[#43]

I was comparing it to Gillette only. Gillette has broken all those sales records. Their parent company has not due to a series of divestitures over the past decade.
View All Quotes

This thread is literally about Bud's parent company.

So in your comparison, you should be talking about P&G.
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 3:09:13 PM EDT
[#44]
Maybe you should have stuck to making piss beer and not waded into being political?

No?  Still can't admit it?   Well, fuck you some more I guess.
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 3:12:32 PM EDT
[#45]

View Quote

I'm sure the concern is that they'll get cancelled by the left if they do that, or it's possible this is actually the hill they want to die on. Either way its a perfect example of why companies should focus on providing a good product, at a fair price, and stop trying to push social change. What was the famous quote attributed to Michael Jordan, something like "rebublicans buy shoes too"?
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 3:13:23 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By Lone_Eagle:
AB is between a rock and a hard place.  On one hand, we are boycotting them for the ad campaign.  On the other hand, you have the alphabet soup nuts boycotting for AB "apologizing".  Need to redo that "button choice" meme for this one......lol
View Quote
It's not a very hard choice. Who buys more of your beer? Cater to them. Considering that LGBTOMGBBQ, is at most, 10% of the population, and the T part is only 10% of that, I think their choice is obvious.
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 3:14:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: -Obsessed-] [#47]
This thread is literally about Bud's parent company.

So in your comparison, you should be talking about P&G.
View Quote

Sigh. You don't realize I'm actually giving you a benefit in the argument by not comparing P&G. Look up P&G's performance since their woke campaign.

P&G stock was $96 when Gillette launched the toxic masculinity campaign. Their stock today is $153.

Yeah. Go woke, go broke. That'll ring true.

They have literally added $135 BILLION to their market cap since they launched their woke campaign.
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 3:15:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Grunteled] [#48]

View Quote

Here they come.
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 3:17:16 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By ATLDiver:
In before the Trump family tells us it’s wrong to boycott them. A-B deserves to be put out of business for the countless microbreweries they’ve run out of business or bought up. Not to mention their BS games in the retail space choking out smaller breweries.

View Quote

Name  2 micro breweries that AB put out of business. Directly not some indirect theory of oh Walmart would not sell bob's micro brewed swill and it is ABs fault. There have always been games in the retail space for shelf space and end caps. Bud used to be guaranteed sales for any retailer. In the potato chip space Eagle snacks got forced out of major retail spaces by Frito-lay. Eagle snacks was owned by family members from AB.  Getting into retail space has always been tough when you have no or very little name recognition.
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 3:23:35 PM EDT
[#50]

View Quote

It's also a bad comparison because it wasn't as known.

...I mean I never heard anything about any boycott of Gillette.
Page / 44
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top