Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/30/2001 12:44:35 PM EDT
I Tried sending a rifle out to the manufacture for repair I went to ups first They weighed the package And I wanted it shiped next day air and wanted it insured and they asked what is it I said a Rifle the lady says " a Gun We Cant Ship that Our Policy Changed You have to go to the main distribution center 45 miles away " . Next I went to the post office I Asked can I ship a rifle to the manufacture for repair and they said shure So I paid For the package I had to fill out a form Every thing was aproved and the teller next to the person said he cant ship that so they gave me my money back . I have sent several guns Out and never had a problem like this I just sent FEDEX a email to see if they want to ship the package for me . What the Hell Is this country comming to when I cant even Mail a Freakin Box ? .............

Rob....
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 12:52:03 PM EDT
[#1]
It's OK to discriminate against you - you're the evil owner of a baby-killing tool.  

Welcome to Amerika, where owning the implements that set us free makes you a pariah.

[sniper]
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 12:54:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 12:57:53 PM EDT
[#3]
your problem is your too honest,
next time tell them its chuck of machined aluminium or automotive parts  they wont even bat an eye at that
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 1:01:51 PM EDT
[#4]
As has been said, the person at the post office was wrong. A private individual CAN ship a long gun through the mail to a licensed dealer or manufacturer. AND you do NOT need to tell the post office what you're shipping.  It is NOT required to tell them you're shipping a firearm (however it IS required to tell a common carrier such as Fed Ex or UPS).
Just box the gun up, ship it out Priority Mail and on the off chance they ask what it is (they have NEVER asked me) make something up.
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 1:09:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
your problem is your too honest,
next time tell them its chuck of machined aluminium or automotive parts  they wont even bat an eye at that
View Quote

I don't see that as an honesty issue.

I tell them I'm shipping machined parts. 100% honest.
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 1:33:11 PM EDT
[#6]
For some some reason I felt I was requried to tell them I am shiping a Firearm Mabee its My Sheeple Programing . Every one wants me to go through a FFL dealer Why should I pay a transfer fee for That . The last Time I shipped a firearm It was no big deal And I even got a thank you have a nice day .  all I can say Is I am shipping the sucker Tommarow If I have To call it some thing else . FU@king NUCKLE HEADS SHEEPLE

Rob.......
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 1:38:52 PM EDT
[#7]
I feel your pain.

Yesterday I called UPS to pick-up my AR and my pistols since I cannot drive through Canada with them. I was sending them from Police Department to Police Department which we do all the time. The UPS girl reads her little cheat sheet and says "yep we can do that" we go all through the weight, dimensions, packaging, insurance the whole ball of wax then she says the handguns have to go overnight? I say fine, whatever then she tells me I have to drive 400 miles to Anchorage for that service. I am upset but I don't take it out on her. After ten minutes I am thinking she fumbled through the ordeal maybe she was incorrect. I call back and ask to speak with a supervisor. When asked what it is reference to I am told UPS does not ship guns AT ALL! Now I am getting upset I tell this gal to shut up and put a supervisor on the phone. He gets on the phone and says the rules have changed because to many UPS trucks were getting held up strictley because they shipped HANDGUNS and they would not accept it from my Department unless somebody here had a FFL. What a f*cking moron I advise him of his new status in life and hang up.

After I calmed down I called FedEx to see if they were being run by absoulute idiots as well.  They said they would ship my guns all of them and all they cared about was how it was being paid for. Thank God for FedEx.

Hunter out...
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 1:43:16 PM EDT
[#8]
I had a worse scenario once. I was shipping a barreled upper to Wilson Combat. [b]JUST[/b] the upper [b]NO RECEIVER[/b] and the shipping place, The Packaging Store, refused it! I tried to explain that it wasn't a firearm, just a hunk of steel, but they wouldn't have anything to do with it.
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 2:48:43 PM EDT
[#9]
I got the same run around when I was shipping a paintball gun I had sold on Ebay.  A paintball gun for crying out loud!!!!  They told me I had to have it "inspected" to make sure that the barrel wasn't attached.  I guess they figured if somebody wanted to rip open the box and start killing people with the paintball gun he would see that the barrel, which was in the box with the gun, wasn't attached.  Long story short... I walked out, reboxed the gun up, and wasn't so honest the next time.  
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 11:58:27 PM EDT
[#10]
next time they ask ... ITS A CARBINE
which is the truth for an Ar

NEVER SAY ITS A GUN IN THE BOX
ALWAYS Lie, UPS workers WILL RIP YOU OFF!!!

my @ss that the UPS trucks are being held up, i worked there and Never heard of that, there are Hundreds of packages in 1 truck, and thousands in the 18 wheel trailers, theres other valuable stuff in a UPS truck besides guns, and finding 1 gun among hundreds is pure luck
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 12:02:41 AM EDT
[#11]
I heard that the UPS policy stemmed from internal thefts. So you must pay the price because they can't hire honest help.
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 12:16:02 AM EDT
[#12]
Same here.

I tried to send my upper down to Kurt. I went to a local UPS drop off. I listed the contents as "rifle barrel". Clerk said no and called UPS to verify. They said I had to go to the main customer center in downtown Minneapolis. Well, I don't want to drive 40 miles just to get mugged on the way there, so I will eventually take it to the local post office.
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 12:29:19 AM EDT
[#13]
Yes, the U.S. Postal Service can ship RIFLES for individuals and HANDGUNS only for FFL's.

If there is ever any question tell them to check the Domestic Mail Manual (DMM).

Be sure to insure it because the machinery at a BMC can be rough. You might want to mark or write NMO on the packaging.
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 12:37:36 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 4:52:01 AM EDT
[#15]
RikWriter,  You have the notification requirements backwards.  Postal regulations require you to notify them when shipping firearms.  However, there is no law or regulation that requires you to notify a common carrier that you are shipping a firearm as long as you are shipping to an FFL holder.  Shipment to a non-licensee (allowed under certain circumstances) does require notification.
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 4:55:37 AM EDT
[#16]
Ever think of standing up for your rights?
Guess not.
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 5:07:04 AM EDT
[#17]
Yeah, really guys! Don't lie!! Raise some hell! I had that happen to me at the post office. I made the clerk get her supervisor. I made them get out the regulation book and go over it sentence-by-sentence. I showed them they were full of shit. Then I called the postmaster. He finally agreed it was OK. I called my congressman and complained too.
Do the same, do more. You'll only change things by causing these idiots some real emotional suffering.
Pain is a great learning tool!
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 5:16:05 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By EOD Guy:
RikWriter,  You have the notification requirements backwards.  Postal regulations require you to notify them when shipping firearms.  However, there is no law or regulation that requires you to notify a common carrier that you are shipping a firearm as long as you are shipping to an FFL holder.  Shipment to a non-licensee (allowed under certain circumstances) does require notification.
View Quote

No, in fact I do NOT have the requirements backwards. I checked the law---I had my dealer look it up for me.  If you ship a firearm via a common carrier you must notify them, but there is NO such requirement to notify the USPS if you shipping a LONG GUN.  If a dealer is shipping a HANDGUN via the USPS (as only a dealer can do) he must notify them and fill out a special form, but that is NOT the case for an individual shipping a long gun.
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 5:30:18 AM EDT
[#19]
As was said.....you are too honest my friend.

USPS certainly does ship firearms.........I have a dealer sending me one right now and he uses them for that purpose all the time.

Link Posted: 5/31/2001 5:37:13 AM EDT
[#20]
I know I can't keep up with all the rules, but you can start with Federal regs:

(B8) May a nonlicensee ship a firearm through the U.S. Postal Service?

A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. A nonlicensee may not
transfer any firearm to a nonlicensed resident of another State.

The Postal Service recommends that longguns be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the
contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms.

(B9) May a nonlicensee ship a firearm by carrier?

A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by carrier to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. In addition, [b]Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract
carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm.[/b]
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 5:47:03 AM EDT
[#21]
RikWriter,  You may be correct about the postal regulations. I have not looked them up.  However, I have 2 letters from BATF Hq that state that notification is not required when shipping a firearm to a licensee.  The regulation reads that notification is required only when shipping to OTHER THAN a licensee.  The BATF admits that the answer given in B9 of the FAQ section of the green book is not consistent with the regulation.
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 5:56:45 AM EDT
[#22]
Rob877 Check your Email. I had this same problem. It seems that the BATF and the U.S. Postal system don't get together much. As far as UPS it's totally up to there discretion. I wrote the U.S. Postal office headquarters and they responded me with the following letter. I sent you a copy. Bring it back to the Post office or have them call the head office.
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 1:14:18 PM EDT
[#23]
I always tell them it is firearm parts
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 1:23:58 PM EDT
[#24]
There is a good article in the July/August issue of American Handgunner that addresses all of these weird little bits of BS different carriers require.

Save the bandwidth - read the article.
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 1:31:07 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Yeah, really guys! Don't lie!! Raise some hell! I had that happen to me at the post office. I made the clerk get her supervisor. I made them get out the regulation book and go over it sentence-by-sentence. I showed them they were full of shit. Then I called the postmaster. He finally agreed it was OK. I called my congressman and complained too.
Do the same, do more. You'll only change things by causing these idiots some real emotional suffering.
Pain is a great learning tool!
View Quote

AMEN Brother!!!!

Listen to this guy folks, he knows what he is tlking about. Don't let them get away with being wrong in these situations. Stick it to them and make em remember. The next time one of us goes to the same clerk then perhaps we will ne be treated so bad.

Aviator
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 10:42:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Thanks Everyone for the shipping info I managed to send my rifle out today . I could of saved alot of time If I just of stuck the Rifle in a box and sent it .  Man The fu@king MMM work every where ...........

Rob.... [frag]
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 10:56:02 PM EDT
[#27]
" It's china man .... family heirlooms" then write GLASS all over the box and take it anywhere and get them to ship it no questions asked !
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top