User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 20
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Link Posted: 1/1/2024 6:31:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By WDEagle:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/174498/IMG_1768_JPEG-3078679.JPGhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/174498/IMG_1769_JPEG-3078688.JPG

24-1 T-Rex Yellow
24-1 Scotch Bonnet Schneider Farms
24-3 Aji Charapita
24-4 Bad Brains
24-5 Reaper X Jay’s Peach Ghost
24-6 Scotch Brains

24-1a Rezha Macedonian
24-2a Rezha Macedonian
24-3a Buena Mulatl
24-4a Brown Jalapeno
24-5a Tunisian Baklouti

23-1 Thai
23-2 Cowhorn
View Quote

Those are some good selections.

Rezha is a new favorite of mine
Link Posted: 1/1/2024 6:33:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By WhiskersTheCat:

Texas for the win! All mine outside are long dead
View Quote

I’ve got a habanero plant from last year still growing peppers, and my seedlings for this year already sprouted.
Link Posted: 1/1/2024 6:37:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Low_Country:

I’ve got a habanero plant from last year still growing peppers, and my seedlings for this year already sprouted.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Low_Country:

Texas for the win! All mine outside are long dead

I have one Chiltepin I brought indoors but otherwise they are a one year plant in Virginia.
Link Posted: 1/1/2024 6:42:39 PM EDT
[#4]

I have one Chiltepin I brought indoors but otherwise they are a one year plant in Virginia.
View Quote

In Vegas, peak summer is the toughest time of the year.

I went with White Hot Peppers this year. All my seeds sprouted except the California Reaper, but haven’t given up yet. He even threw in a few bonus freebie seeds.
Link Posted: 1/1/2024 6:47:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WDEagle] [#5]

View All Quotes

The Thai & Cowhorn plants are carry overs from this/previous years. Jalapenos did good this year & Habaneros did great but I can get them in the store for cheap here.  Culling them make room for more exotic peppers that I cannot get locally.

I bought those on your recommendation.
Link Posted: 1/1/2024 6:52:18 PM EDT
[#6]

The Thai & Cowhorn plants are carry overs from this/previous years. Jalapenos did good this year & Habaneros did great but I can get them in the store for cheap here.  Culling them make room for more exotic peppers that I cannot get locally.

View All Quotes

I honestly and truly think you'll be really happy. They tick all the boxes for me. You get a really unique cool looking pepper, which is also very flavorful and it's slightly hotter than a jalapeño.

One caveat I've read is heat level tends to vary a lot. Now I'm not sure if that means within the species or the plant, but my entire plant was good last year. If yours isn't hot enough I can send you some of my seeds.

The other thing is for me they grew quickly and produced quickly but ripened rather slowly. That might be my climate.
Link Posted: 1/1/2024 11:22:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Just about time to think about starting seeds…
Link Posted: 1/1/2024 11:31:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Naamah:
Just about time to think about starting seeds…
View Quote

My overwinter experiment continues. These will go back outside in 3 months:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 9:38:26 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 9:48:48 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Cincinnatus:
My orange scotch bonnets were by far the most delicious.  Sweet as an apricot, but some real heat in the seeds.  Great for cooking and sauce.

I will replant those.  Probably a chocolate scotch bonnet, maybe a yellow.  The reds were boring.

What’s a good source for Rezha Macedonia seeds?
View Quote

@Cincinnatus
Me?  I have extras.

$3 shipped @ Baker Creek Seeds
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 10:02:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 10:27:00 AM EDT
[#12]

Want some scotch bonnets?
View Quote

I'm good for this year but may hit you up next time.

IM me an address if you want me to send you anything.  I have extras of all of the peppers I listed above.  

Offer is extended to anyone that wants any (while supplies last.)
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 10:36:25 AM EDT
[#13]

View All Quotes
My orange scotch bonnets were by far the most delicious.  Sweet as an apricot, but some real heat in the seeds.  Great for cooking and sauce.

I will replant those.  Probably a chocolate scotch bonnet, maybe a yellow.  The reds were boring.

@Cincinnatus
Me?  I have extras.

I'll trade you.
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 7:54:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Order from White Hot came in today, gonna get these and some others started this weekend.

Also, brought three peach ghosts in for the winter to see if I can keep ‘em alive till spring.

All alive so far and one is growing some fruit.
Link Posted: 1/3/2024 10:52:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 12:32:02 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 10:40:35 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Keekleberrys:
idk why this thread fell off my radar but im gonna starts me sum peppers soon.
View Quote

I just started some Korean dark greens, cayennes, and corbacis this weekend. Those can tolerate some of the early, cooler weather to give us an early start to the pepper season.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 11:46:58 AM EDT
[#18]

I just started some Korean dark greens, cayennes, and corbacis this weekend. Those can tolerate some of the early, cooler weather to give us an early start to the pepper season.
View All Quotes

I really enjoy the Korean dark greens. Especially because if you forget about them they turn red lol
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 12:23:45 PM EDT
[#19]
This will be the 3rd growing season for my Chiltepin. He is currently surviving inside. I can't save them all every year but I chose this guy because he's already a survivor. My GSD for some reason liked to drop his Kong on this one when I was watering and then eat the leaves off as a seedling. So it's been smashed and pruned but still survived. As an adult plant the dog no longer cares about it.

Link Posted: 1/17/2024 12:27:50 PM EDT
[#20]

I really enjoy the Korean dark greens. Especially because if you forget about them they turn red lol
View All Quotes

Plan is to use those to make kimchi. Our neighbor sells produce to supplement his income, and he gives us any leftovers that don’t sell. We routinely get a ton of cabbages that we’ve mostly given to the pigs, but I’m going to salvage some and try my hand at kimchi.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 9:29:05 PM EDT
[#21]
What’s the best way to get rid of aphids on the (remaining) chili plants I have indoors?
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 9:30:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Jack_Dempsey:
What’s the best way to get rid of aphids on the (remaining) chili plants I have indoors?
View Quote

They can't fly. I just hit them with water streams
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 9:38:32 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Jack_Dempsey:
View Quote

I've kept them suppressed with neem oil spray.

Unless these indoor peppers push out a tremendous bumper crop this spring, I'm probably not going to bother with overwintering again. Too much of a chore keeping them watered and sprayed in the super low winter humidity of our basement.
Link Posted: 1/21/2024 1:48:17 PM EDT
[#24]

@Cincinnatus
Me?  I have extras.

View All Quotes

@Cincinnatus
Me?  I have extras.

These sound pretty cool, ordered me a packet.  Also ordered some Hatch chili pepper seeds from Sandia Seed.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 1:45:55 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 1:53:36 AM EDT
[#26]
View Quote
Where did you get the tall greenhouse lids?
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 1:57:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Echd] [#27]
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

And also from an etsy seller:

Leysa peppers
Sugar Rush Peach (I think white hot was sold out when I looked)
Khang Starr Lemon Starrburst
Tiger Jalapeno
Farmer's Market jalapeno (looks ridiculous)
A grab bag of Numex Sunrise/sunset/eclipse
Jimmy Nardello

A lot of the stuff from white hot was extras, I don't really have any need for all the super mega hots. But I'll grow them anyway, fuck it.

Probably going to start them in about 3 weeks. Most anticipated are leysa, zebrange, sugar rush peach and stripey, sugar drop lemon, and the khang starr.

My most used peppers normally are Habs/ scotch bonnets so I'll have tons of them off these.

Also I got some of those Heatonist gift packs at Sam's club marked down to $10 and holy hell the Hot Ones los calientes rojo is amazingly tasty. It's smoked Serrano, Serrano, habanero, and apricot then other ingredients. I've got to figure out how to make something come out like that, it was phenomenal and I uses the first bottle in 2 days.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 4:11:33 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 10:44:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: PointBlank82] [#29]
PSA: if you're using electric heat mats from Amazon, double check how hot they're heating the soil to. I just probably killed 11 starts using a cheap heat mat that was heating the soil over 100F.

Lost 2 weeks and going to resow everything.

Attachment Attached File

Keeping the survivors. Those plants are gonna be superior I suspect.

These are the mats I'm returning:

2 Pack 21W Seedling Heat Mat for Seed Starting,10" x 20.75" Waterproof Heating Pad for Indoor Plants Germination

Advertised as 80-87F operating.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 12:11:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Echd] [#30]
Originally Posted By PointBlank82:
PSA: if you're using electric heat mats from Amazon, double check how hot they're heating the soil to. I just probably killed 11 starts using a cheap heat mat that was heating the soil over 100F.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/310106/20240122_061907_jpg-3104418.JPG

2 Pack 21W Seedling Heat Mat for Seed Starting,10" x 20.75" Waterproof Heating Pad for Indoor Plants Germination

View Quote

Well fuck me I bought 4 of them a few weeks ago. Hopefully you just got a bad batch, I just rolled mine out to test them.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 12:19:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PointBlank82] [#31]
Originally Posted By Echd:

Well fuck me I bought 4 of them a few weeks ago. Hopefully you just got a bad batch, I just rolled mine out to test them.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Echd:
Originally Posted By PointBlank82:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/310106/20240122_061907_jpg-3104418.JPG

Throw a thermometer in there and check things. It was eye opening this morning when I did. I was so pissed off as I put these seeds in 1/7.

They say 90-100F on the mat on mine, but the Amazon ad says 80-87F. Fucking liars.

I don't think these have thermostats at all and are on 100% all the time

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 7:26:43 PM EDT
[#32]
I can't find my laser thermometer but I let them run for a few hours. I'll check before starting, but it doesn't feel overly warm. The room they're in was around 70 and if I had to guess around the 80s was probably right.
Link Posted: 1/27/2024 5:11:13 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 1/27/2024 5:18:46 PM EDT
[#34]
what are your go to online places for seeds. doesnt have to be just hot peppers but i'm interested in that as well.
View Quote

For me it's rareseeds.com and White hot peppers
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 6:15:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Echd] [#35]
First seedlings poked their heads out today. A couple of Sugar Rush peaches, habaneros, and a zebrange.

Time to hook up the lights and run up the electric bill...
Link Posted: 2/7/2024 2:00:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Keekleberrys] [#36]
Link Posted: 2/7/2024 8:18:35 AM EDT
[#37]
I know this is the pepper thread but i wanted to brag about the 72x f1 long day red onions i started, i also started some of the macedonian ones and the purple ones (mulata?) cuz they looked cool
View Quote

I fell for the Buena Multa psyop myself. They look awesome and they're productive. However they're not very tasty and if you can them they turn white
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 10:11:37 PM EDT
[#38]
After 1.5 weeks, I have 1 of 3 Hatch seedlings, 2 of 4 Rezha, and none of 13 Arbols.  No others have hatched yet.

The Arbol seeds were out of a big bag of dried peppers I bought for making salsa and such.  Any reason they wouldn't germinate?  Maybe the peppers were oven dried and it killed the seeds.  I have various other dried chiles that I thought I'd try to harvest seeds from, but don't know if that ever works.

Still a bit early, trying to keep them 80-90F and a bit moist.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 11:32:59 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By Maroonfeather:
After 1.5 weeks, I have 1 of 3 Hatch seedlings, 2 of 4 Rezha, and none of 13 Arbols.  No others have hatched yet.

The Arbol seeds were out of a big bag of dried peppers I bought for making salsa and such.  Any reason they wouldn't germinate?  Maybe the peppers were oven dried and it killed the seeds.  I have various other dried chiles that I thought I'd try to harvest seeds from, but don't know if that ever works.

View Quote

I started my seeds last week.

I planted some seedlings of non-hot peppers at the same time. Tomatoes and bell peppers. Just waiting on my seeds to grow.
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 8:10:37 AM EDT
[#40]

View Quote

Unless I'm corrected here, I've just found there's a certain dud rate within seeds. I have a bunch of seedlings but 3 varieties this year that haven't sprouted. Each is on their 2nd seed
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 9:01:20 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 11:13:37 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By JCoop:
You are correct, not corrected. Germination rate is a thing. It's often printed on the seed packet. Or sometimes it's shown on the website.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By JCoop:

Unless I'm corrected here, I've just found there's a certain dud rate within seeds. I have a bunch of seedlings but 3 varieties this year that haven't sprouted. Each is on their 2nd seed
You are correct, not corrected. Germination rate is a thing. It's often printed on the seed packet. Or sometimes it's shown on the website.

There's also patience. One of my 3 sprouted today.

I love the stories about people finding old seeds and them sprouting and growing new stuff.
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 12:06:48 AM EDT
[#43]

View Quote

I now have 3 of 4 Rezhas that have sprouted.

I have a theory... the Rezha row is in the center row of my hatchery, so it is warmer than the top and bottom rows. That row is in the 80s, the other rows are in the high 70s. I measure with my IR gun. I'm going to bias the Hatch row more toward the center of the heating pad and get the temp up. Also putting the towel back over the top overnight to keep the heat in. I've had to take the towel off during the day so that the seedlings get sunlight. The plastic cover keeps the towel from murdering the seedlings.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 2:33:20 PM EDT
[#44]
Got a few out of the weed box.

I am so stupid I should have been moving then to small pots last year.

Link Posted: 3/8/2024 11:00:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WDEagle] [#45]
Getting ready to move some to 4" peat containers
Attachment Attached File

This years seedlings

T-Rex Yellow
Scotch Bonnet Schneider Farms
Aji Charapita
Bad Brains
Reaper X Jay’s Peach Ghost
Scotch Brains
2x Rezha Macedonian
Buena Mulatl
Brown Jalapeno
Tunisian Baklouti

Holdovers from last year
Thai
Cowhorn
Habanero

Edit:
Planted peppers in two pots while I was visiting my 92 yo Mom in Alabama.  She's got quite the green thumb but has never grown peppers.  I planted jalapeno and cowhorn plants for her in 6 gallon pots.
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 11:06:43 PM EDT
[#46]
@WhiskersTheCat

I just noticed the title change.

Since it's the official thread could you also change the title to all caps and bold it?

OFFICIAL ARFCOM HOT PEPPER THREAD
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 11:09:42 PM EDT
[#47]
@WhiskersTheCat

I just noticed the title change.

Since it's the official thread could you also change the title to all caps and bold it?

OFFICIAL ARFCOM HOT PEPPER THREAD
View Quote

I'm here for you.
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 11:17:42 PM EDT
[#48]

I'm here for you.
View Quote

Perfect.  Thanks
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 7:41:32 PM EDT
[#49]
The last of my peppers.  My Carolina Reeper finally decided to produce albeit they are tiny.
Attachment Attached File

Transplanted my pods to 4" peat containers.  I'll keep them in the house for another week and then start hardening then outside.
Attachment Attached File

I kept (transplanted) four of my previous years' plants and will dispose of the rest to make room for the seedlings.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 6:05:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BLK_MAJK] [#50]
I don't know how I didn't find this thread until now... It was in my subscribed threads

I planted 32 pods with seeds from previous years... Only 7 sprouted

2 x Tepin
2 x Giant Chocolate Ghost
2 x Bahamian Beast Red
1 x Bahamian Goat

Attachment Attached File

I ordered some new seeds from white hot.  I love that they give bonus seeds to try.  

Ordered:
Sweet Purple
Ghost
Reaper
Rogers Habanero Giant Red
7 Pot Primo

Free:
Star Scream
Sandra's Giant Orange
Andy's Unreaper

I planted 2 of each.  Hopefully these perform better than my first batch.  

Attachment Attached File
Page / 20
Top Top