Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 29
Link Posted: 1/15/2023 1:23:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Usernames:
Have you considered doing a youtube series on it to get some revenue to recoup some money's?
View Quote

yup-
time lapse it for everyone to see
Link Posted: 1/15/2023 1:35:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Is the rest of the area clear of forest?

Would it be beneficial to plant a shitload of saplings in the spring?

If there aren't many trees, seed\nut to grow more may be scarce...

Bring some in and grow your own forest
Link Posted: 1/15/2023 1:43:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By H4ppyB34r:

View Quote

Most of the land looks the same. Small spruce trees. I’ll take better pics when I’m up there on Monday.

Planting anything up there would be difficult. That close to the Arctic circle and that elevation with the rocky tundra landscape it’s gonna be hard to grow anything. It’s real close to the elevation tree line as it is so lucky to have some trees.
Link Posted: 1/15/2023 2:40:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By H4ppyB34r:

View Quote

Basically he is at tree line, its been slowly growing more and more trees higher and higher for years, but all this growth is mostly stunted pine...another 25-30 years and he will get some real trees sprouting up...Our area is the same way except more so, zero trees above about 3500 ft back when we started in the area, to now days we have stunted pine pretty thick up to 4500-5000 ft and its slowly getting thicker  growth over the years...
Link Posted: 1/15/2023 4:38:50 AM EDT
[#5]
two things

Insulate floor as you don't want to thaw the permafrost. our lake cabin is on pilings

kill every porcupine you see, we wrapped the bottom 2 feet in metal lathe to keep them from eating the walls

Also you want a front and back door, plus windows,  bears can be real assholes but we have not had any problems afterwe started running a yard light at night.
Link Posted: 1/15/2023 4:45:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Rosta97:

Yeah I could add another log or two for added height.

There won't be another wall inside. Bigger logs would offer a better R value. But bigger logs cost a lot more and would be difficult to get out there and set in place without machinery. For example a 20ft 6x6 is 180lbs and $107. A 20ft 10x10 is 500lbs and $310.

Almost every public use cabin is built with 6x6s. Seems to be the best insulation to cost/weight ratio. And I've been in them at -35 degrees and been warm. So hopefully it'll be ok.

It initially won't have electric. I will likely add a small solar/wind system in the coming years mainly for lights and phone charging etc.
View Quote
We don't go anywhere without a Honda 2200. runs all night on a gallon of gas, charge all your batteries etc
Link Posted: 1/15/2023 4:52:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Atropian_Defector:

Illegal to lock the cabin anyways. People must be able to access in case of emergency

ETA: Could be wrong, but this was per an Alaska State Trooper I know.
View Quote
Doors that open out keep the bears from pushing them open. However they will peel them open. Glass must be covered with bars or plywood as they will break every window they can see thru
Link Posted: 1/15/2023 5:54:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: pdm] [#8]
Something else I'd recommend to think about getting is an Alaska mill. Not the most efficient way to cut lumber from trees but pretty handy in the bush where the nearest Home Depot is 500 miles away.  

What chainsaws do you have?

Come alongs, snatch blocks and block and tackles are also handy.

What's the plan for wiring the cabin?  Saw that you said that initially there'd be no electric….you may want consider a Jackery or one of those other turn-key battery boxes with some solar panels and as has been suggested a Honda 2200 genny.

Having electric is pretty damn convenient…do you follow Will Prowse on YT?  He's smart as hell on Solar and battery applications. The link I included is on off grid type topics.

Also, on page one I made reference to an old thread by a member that has since passed away, "Aviator". That thread had tons of good info on how he put solar into his AK cabin.

What's the bear situation up there?  You may want to look into a solar powered electric bear fence, at least while you're building, especially being that you'll be cooking and be relatively exposed.
Link Posted: 1/15/2023 1:47:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By wwace:
two things

Insulate floor as you don't want to thaw the permafrost. our lake cabin is on pilings

kill every porcupine you see, we wrapped the bottom 2 feet in metal lathe to keep them from eating the walls

Also you want a front and back door, plus windows,  bears can be real assholes but we have not had any problems afterwe started running a yard light at night.
View Quote

Yes I am going to insulate the floor.

I’ve seen what porcupines can do to stuff and have shot one that was destroying a public use cabin.
Link Posted: 1/15/2023 1:51:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By pdm:
Something else I'd recommend to think about getting is an Alaska mill. Not the most efficient way to cut lumber from trees but pretty handy in the bush where the nearest Home Depot is 500 miles away.  

What chainsaws do you have?

Come alongs, snatch blocks and block and tackles are also handy.

What's the plan for wiring the cabin?  Saw that you said that initially there'd be no electric….you may want consider a Jackery or one of those other turn-key battery boxes with some solar panels and as has been suggested a Honda 2200 genny.

Having electric is pretty damn convenient…do you follow Will Prowse on YT?  He's smart as hell on Solar and battery applications. The link I included is on off grid type topics.

Also, on page one I made reference to an old thread by a member that has since passed away, "Aviator". That thread had tons of good info on how he put solar into his AK cabin.

What's the bear situation up there?  You may want to look into a solar powered electric bear fence, at least while you're building, especially being that you'll be cooking and be relatively exposed.
View Quote

I have a few chains saws. They’re all husky’s. And old 288xp, and then a small and medium size ones I can’t remember the models of off the top of my head.

The bear situation is a lot of grizzlies.

While I’m building I’ll be living out of my camper parked 6 miles away on the road system.

I have a Honda 2200 and I’m sure it’ll spend most of the summer up there.

Solar is a few years off. If we end up living in it full time it’s a must. As just a recreational property I’m not as concerned.
Link Posted: 1/15/2023 3:59:13 PM EDT
[#11]

I have a few chains saws. They're all husky's. And old 288xp, and then a small and medium size ones I can't remember the models of off the top of my head.

The bear situation is a lot of grizzlies.

While I'm building I'll be living out of my camper parked 6 miles away on the road system.

I have a Honda 2200 and I'm sure it'll spend most of the summer up there.

Solar is a few years off. If we end up living in it full time it's a must. As just a recreational property I'm not as concerned.
View Quote

You need to pick up a big-boy saw, at least 70cc that can pull a 28-inch or 32-inch chain.
Link Posted: 1/15/2023 4:34:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By RTUtah:

You need to pick up a big-boy saw, at least 70cc that can pull a 28-inch or 32-inch chain.
View Quote

I doubt he would ever have to cut a tree that big in that area...A big tree for most areas would be a 24" stump....a few places might have some trees go bigger, but its not the normal that we see everyday...
Link Posted: 1/15/2023 4:43:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By AKSnowRider:

I doubt he would ever have to cut a tree that big in that area...A big tree for most areas would be a 24" stump....a few places might have some trees go bigger, but its not the normal that we see everyday...
View Quote

I know the trees aren't that big up there but I just couldn't stand not having a proper saw. You can always run a smaller bar and still have heaps left in the power-band.
Link Posted: 1/15/2023 5:05:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Rosta97] [#14]

View Quote

The 288xp is a 90cc that can easily pull a 36in bar.

All the trees on the property probably aren’t bigger than 6in in diameter. And those would be the big ones.

The others saws are a 435 and a 36.
Link Posted: 1/15/2023 5:10:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Atropian_Defector:

Petersburg is nowhere near his region…
View Quote

LOL, no shit, its like 3 states away
Link Posted: 1/15/2023 5:10:36 PM EDT
[#16]

I know the trees aren't that big up there but I just couldn't stand not having a proper saw. You can always run a smaller bar and still have heaps left in the power-band.
View Quote

Well, in that case yeah, not a bad idea at all,,nice having extra there if needed...
Link Posted: 1/15/2023 5:16:10 PM EDT
[#17]
@Rosta97

Check out this guy's site, might be able to gain some insight or ideas.

I met with him and was in the process of going to have him build my cabin near Homer but life took another turn and I am now living on a farm in W.OK.

He also sells log kits.

http://www.friesenscustomcabins.com/home.htm
Link Posted: 1/15/2023 5:26:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By USCG_CPO:
@Rosta97

Check out this guy's site, might be able to gain some insight or ideas.

I met with him and was in the process of going to have him build my cabin near Homer but life took another turn and I am now living on a farm in W.OK.

He also sells log kits.

http://www.friesenscustomcabins.com/home.htm
View Quote

Might have saved yourself some heartache. He had a lot of not very good reviews across the web.

Most of the kits I’ve seen are ~40% more than just buying the materials yourself.
Link Posted: 1/15/2023 5:29:08 PM EDT
[#19]

Might have saved yourself some heartache. He had a lot of not very good reviews across the web.

Most of the kits I’ve seen are ~40% more than just buying the materials yourself.
View Quote

Oh well, good to know.  Builders in AK used to be hit or miss, doubt much has changed.
Link Posted: 1/15/2023 5:33:19 PM EDT
[#20]

The 288xp is a 90cc that can easily pull a 36in bar.

All the trees on the property probably aren't bigger than 6in in diameter. And those would be the big ones.

The others saws are a 435 and a 36.
View Quote

Ah hell, Husqvarna's numbers always fuck me up, lol. Reckon you're good with that thing.
Link Posted: 1/15/2023 5:35:18 PM EDT
[#21]

Ah hell, Husqvarna's numbers always fuck me up, lol. Reckon you're good with that thing.
View Quote

Yeah it’s an older saw so not many are familiar with it. It’s a beast. Gets heavy running it for a while though.
Link Posted: 1/15/2023 5:39:21 PM EDT
[#22]

View Quote

OP, this guy has built several log cabins, he's not a builder, just an older guy who wants what he wants..might find some good insight, he is just finishing his new cabin, but he also if you go back can see the build of his previous cabin...might give you a few ideas that help... if you need design ideas of what truly was an alaskan built for use cabin, I can get you a few pictures of an old miners transport cabin that we found and repaired to keep it usable..it dates back to the gold rush time....

https://www.youtube.com/@MySelfReliance
Link Posted: 1/15/2023 5:41:19 PM EDT
[#23]

OP, this guy has built several log cabins, he's not a builder, just an older guy who wants what he wants..might find some good insight, he is just finishing his new cabin, but he also if you go back can see the build of his previous cabin...might give you a few ideas that help... if you need design ideas of what truly was an alaskan built for use cabin, I can get you a few pictures of an old miners transport cabin that we found and repaired to keep it usable..it dates back to the gold rush time....

View Quote

Someone else sent me his channel. I haven’t gotten a chance to watch any yet. Starlink is still hit or miss for me. Mostly miss.
Link Posted: 1/15/2023 5:44:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AKSnowRider] [#24]

Someone else sent me his channel. I haven’t gotten a chance to watch any yet. Starlink is still hit or miss for me. Mostly miss.
View Quote

It's worth the watch, both cabins he has pretty much completely done on his own, with maybe a small amount of help from wife/kids/friends here and there..Some of his framing designs could be done better, but they all work fine...Pretty impressive work for 1 old guy, cut the trees, haul them, run them over his mobile mill, and build... well worth the watch...

ETA: He also shows exactly what tools he uses and why, I think he might even sell some/all of them.
Link Posted: 1/15/2023 5:49:12 PM EDT
[#25]
Even though they do not go into big detail Hiemo,Charlie Jago and the Sheldon's built cabins on Last Alaskan.

Charlie built his pretty much by himself.
Hiemo had his daughters help.
Sheldon's built a mansion with big logs.
Link Posted: 1/15/2023 6:14:39 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By akcaribouhunter:
Even though they do not go into big detail Hiemo,Charlie Jago and the Sheldon's built cabins on Last Alaskan.

View Quote

Been a long time since I watched that show.
Link Posted: 1/15/2023 7:26:30 PM EDT
[#27]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

IMO the most palatable of the Alaska shows.

Mostly low drama and lots of outdoors or handiwork type stuff.
Link Posted: 1/15/2023 8:16:44 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By FDC:

IMO the most palatable of the Alaska shows.

Mostly low drama and lots of outdoors or handiwork type stuff.
View Quote

Agreed. The original life below zero wasn’t bad. Haven’t seen any of the new ones.

I really liked Glenn on the show. But he lived near me when he wasn’t at his cabin and no one was a fan of his.

He moved last year. And every item he sold he listed for top dollar and had a picture of himself in it in what seemed like an effort to say “I owned this so it’s worth more”.
Link Posted: 1/15/2023 8:18:54 PM EDT
[#29]
Just realized there is a state wood cutting area 5 miles from the trail head for my cabin. That is super convenient. $10/cord. Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/15/2023 8:22:16 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By Inquisitive_Spaniard:
I'd follow this thread but you'll probably die in 8 years and make me sad all over again.

RIP Aviator
View Quote
Dude... Right in the feels.
Link Posted: 1/15/2023 8:39:03 PM EDT
[#31]
Just realized there is a state wood cutting area 5 miles from the trail head for my cabin. That is super convenient. $10/cord. https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/231690/52135CCB-C623-497D-A44A-900EAABA0E0A_png-2673552.JPG
View Quote
Lucky!

Sled load of wood is $350 and higher.
If I want good spruce and birch it is over a 100 mile round-trip.
Link Posted: 1/15/2023 8:44:12 PM EDT
[#32]

View Quote

I think I watched his build start to finish, maybe 1.5 hours, last night. Is that the one that was built all with 12-14" logs that would hold up 30 tons of snow?

Built like a "brick shithouse" comes to mind, but I enjoyed it.

Link Posted: 1/15/2023 8:44:43 PM EDT
[#33]
Just realized there is a state wood cutting area 5 miles from the trail head for my cabin. That is super convenient. $10/cord. https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/231690/52135CCB-C623-497D-A44A-900EAABA0E0A_png-2673552.JPG
View Quote

That's nuts.

Even for softwood.  Nice resource there.  Any idea if it is all clear cut already or do they manage wood lots?
Link Posted: 1/15/2023 8:44:44 PM EDT
[#34]
Do you still have a appendix ?
Link Posted: 1/15/2023 8:47:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Rosta97] [#35]

That's nuts.

Even for softwood.  Nice resource there.  Any idea if it is all clear cut already or do they manage wood lots?
View Quote

Nah they don’t really manage them. And that one being 80 miles from fairbanks I’m sure it’s not managed at all.

The one I’ve cut at near my house I’ve never seen anyone else out there.

ETA I will be checking it out when I drive up there tomorrow.
Link Posted: 1/15/2023 8:47:40 PM EDT
[#36]

That's nuts.

View Quote
State has wood lots and areas where they clear/clean out areas.
Link Posted: 1/15/2023 8:48:22 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Swampgrass:
View Quote

Yeah why?
Link Posted: 1/15/2023 8:57:31 PM EDT
[#38]

Yeah why?
View All Quotes

Yeah why?

Does someone in your area have the ability to perform a appendectomy ? If not what's the life flight times like ?

Link Posted: 1/15/2023 9:00:47 PM EDT
[#39]

Does someone in your area have the ability to perform a appendectomy ? If not what's the life flight times like ?

View Quote

I mean it’s 85 highway miles to the closest hospital.

And I’d rather die in the woods doing what I like than in a nursing home or hooked up to a machine or like my grandfather who lost his mind and didn’t even know who his wife or kids were for the last 5 years of his life. Fuck that.
Link Posted: 1/15/2023 9:02:31 PM EDT
[#40]
View All Quotes

That's nuts.

Nice.

If they opened something like that here, every knucklehead with a saw would be at it.  Cheap wood is like mecca here-attracts every skinflinter.

The national forest does do a $10 a cord thing up to 5 cords, but only for dead or down stuff so that tend to keep the place green.
Link Posted: 1/15/2023 9:03:53 PM EDT
[#41]

And I’d rather die in the woods doing what I like than in a nursing home or hooked up to a machine or like my grandfather who lost his mind and didn’t even know who his wife or kids were for the last 5 years of his life. Fuck that.
View Quote

Amen

Especially after seeing the overreaction to the recent thing we won't talk about in your thread.
Link Posted: 1/15/2023 9:10:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Rosta97] [#42]

Amen

Especially after seeing the overreaction to the recent thing we won't talk about in your thread.
View Quote

The thing we won’t talk about is a big motivation for the cabin. It’s not my nuclear war marshal law but our plan. But it’s my. Get this experimental shit or lose your job bug out plan. I’ll wave on my way out the door and go live here.
Link Posted: 1/15/2023 9:11:38 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 1/15/2023 9:17:36 PM EDT
[#44]

View All Quotes

I guess it's not as far off the beaten path as I understood. My brother and I both had a appendectomy in our early thirties.

Not sure what your grandfather has to do with this.
Link Posted: 1/15/2023 9:30:26 PM EDT
[#45]

I guess it's not as far off the beaten path as I understood. My brother and I both had a appendectomy in our early thirties.

View All Quotes

Respectfully to all, it would be easier to ask what the emergency health care options are for the OP.

Now in for more pics and build discussion.
Link Posted: 1/15/2023 9:32:26 PM EDT
[#46]
Yeah I have an inreach as there obviously isn’t any cell service.

Have starlink I can bring up there.

But it’s not a quick easy trip to the ER that’s for sure.

Certainly a conversation I am going to have with the people who offered to help me.

Like no shit this is it. We are out there. Help isn’t coming in 10min if you hurt yourself. Also there are a lot of bears and wolves.
Link Posted: 1/15/2023 9:35:39 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By JoseCuervo:

I think I watched his build start to finish, maybe 1.5 hours, last night. Is that the one that was built all with 12-14" logs that would hold up 30 tons of snow?

Built like a "brick shithouse" comes to mind, but I enjoyed it.

View Quote

On his current cabin, he started cutting trees 2 years back and just blocking them up so they could dry, when he had the ground cleared, he then hauled those trees and others in an piled them for building, he started on the log walls I think late fall of that year and has built outside all winter..he has a full basement he hand dug with a root cellar to keep stuff cool and for storing supplies... right now he is mostly finished with it outside wise as far as roof/walls/flooring/chinking/insulation/windows/doors.... its well worth the watch just incase you ever did need to build shelter...plus a good basic on what tools are must haves versus nice but not a have to have...

This is his newest build from the start, he sold his other one because the new neighbors had his wife and daughters freaked out..Long story short, never ends when civilization over takes rural...

This guy actually has big money, not rich, but well off, but he tries to make everything doable and as cheap as possible while being good quality...He has no issue with hard work...SWo if you find this video on his page and just start working newer, he will hopefully provide you with some valuable info... His cabin is in Canada by the way, so limited firearms, but he does have rifle and shotgun and does hunt and fish...

New Wilderness Off Grid Cabin, Milling Lumber, Building an Outhouse and a Ladder
Link Posted: 1/15/2023 9:43:00 PM EDT
[#48]

View Quote

Mostly in emergencies when you call 911 you are going to be patched thru to the army and they are most likely to respond, it provides excellent hands on training for them, plus they are about the only thing in state that can cover it all if needed..some stuff gets handled local, but normally if it involves choppers its coming from the Army boys..One of my older friends had a mild heart attack on his sled one spring, took about 6 hours for them to respond, but he survived it....I honestly don't know the exact dos and don'ts...we've all been pretty healthy and self sufficient..we do carry sat phone plus good medical stuff, and several in our group are certified RN's which helps...But a person try to be self reliant as much as possible....
Link Posted: 1/15/2023 9:54:37 PM EDT
[#49]

Mostly in emergencies when you call 911 you are going to be patched thru to the army and they are most likely to respond, it provides excellent hands on training for them, plus they are about the only thing in state that can cover it all if needed..some stuff gets handled local, but normally if it involves choppers its coming from the Army boys..One of my older friends had a mild heart attack on his sled one spring, took about 6 hours for them to respond, but he survived it....I honestly don't know the exact dos and don'ts...we've all been pretty healthy and self sufficient..we do carry sat phone plus good medical stuff, and several in our group are certified RN's which helps...But a person try to be self reliant as much as possible....
View All Quotes

Good info. Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/15/2023 10:36:25 PM EDT
[#50]

On his current cabin, he started cutting trees 2 years back and just blocking them up so they could dry, when he had the ground cleared, he then hauled those trees and others in an piled them for building, he started on the log walls I think late fall of that year and has built outside all winter..he has a full basement he hand dug with a root cellar to keep stuff cool and for storing supplies... right now he is mostly finished with it outside wise as far as roof/walls/flooring/chinking/insulation/windows/doors.... its well worth the watch just incase you ever did need to build shelter...plus a good basic on what tools are must haves versus nice but not a have to have...

This is his newest build from the start, he sold his other one because the new neighbors had his wife and daughters freaked out..Long story short, never ends when civilization over takes rural...

This guy actually has big money, not rich, but well off, but he tries to make everything doable and as cheap as possible while being good quality...He has no issue with hard work...SWo if you find this video on his page and just start working newer, he will hopefully provide you with some valuable info... His cabin is in Canada by the way, so limited firearms, but he does have rifle and shotgun and does hunt and fish...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ytu3wc_qIy4
View Quote

Thanks. I think we are thinking of the same vid.  Beautifully overbuilt with overhead cables and block and tackle assistance.

[Jelly]

Page / 29
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top