User Panel

Page / 29
Link Posted: 1/12/2023 10:36:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By H4ppyB34r:

Same place sells Head Lok screws

https://www.loghomestore.com/product/log-hog-screws/

I love these, always keep a box or 2 in the truck.

Amazing grip and pull out resistance, plus the big head\washer are nice
View Quote

Same manufacturer. But the headlocks are best for really hard material like OSB. I much prefer the 5/16 drive for the log hogs when it comes to the logs themselves.
Link Posted: 1/12/2023 10:47:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By FDC:
Shutters of some type to keep animals out when you're not there?  Obviously no real way to keep people out.  

Would be a bit easier than screwing plywood over the windows and then unscrewing it every trip.
View Quote

Yeah I’m going to make some hinged covers for the windows.
Link Posted: 1/12/2023 11:01:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Usernames:
Have you considered doing a youtube series on it to get some revenue to recoup some money's?
View Quote

There is probably several hours of video editing time for every 10-15 minute youtube video, if you know what you are doing with the editing software.  There is a learning curve to most good editing software.
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 12:03:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Canoeguy:
You don’t want log spikes you need log hogs and for this they need to be 9”

What species of wood are you using? The weight guestimations are pretty high. For instance I can lift a 6x12x16’ by myself and I am an out of shape middle-aged dude. Are these peeled or millled? I most definitely recommend milled.
View Quote

Those look nice. Definitely gonna order some of those.

I was getting the weight specs off the local lumber place’s website. But haven’t gone there in person yet. Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 12:04:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Usernames:
Have you considered doing a youtube series on it to get some revenue to recoup some money's?
View Quote

I have considered it. Especially if we decide to live there full time for some extra income.

Would have to make my wife the face of it. No one wants to watch me yammer for 20 minutes.
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 12:05:58 AM EDT
[#6]

Same manufacturer. But the headlocks are best for really hard material like OSB. I much prefer the 5/16 drive for the log hogs when it comes to the logs themselves.
View Quote

How far apart do you space them/how many do I need?
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 12:11:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Atropian_Defector] [#7]
Shutters of some type to keep animals out when you're not there?  Obviously no real way to keep people out.  

Would be a bit easier than screwing plywood over the windows and then unscrewing it every trip.
View Quote

Illegal to lock the cabin anyways. People must be able to access in case of emergency

ETA: Could be wrong, but this was per an Alaska State Trooper I know.
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 1:03:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DoverGunner] [#8]
Tagged
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 1:37:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Who/what owns the land between your property line and that road?
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 3:16:21 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Atropian_Defector:

Illegal to lock the cabin anyways. People must be able to access in case of emergency

View Quote
A lot of places are now locked up do to damage.

We lock our fish-camp up now.
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 3:25:57 AM EDT
[#11]
Im excited to watch this play out! I’m in ANC, the wife and I got 10 acre in willow this past fall. Planning on building this summer as well. It’ll be fun watching yours come together!
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 5:02:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BillofRights] [#12]
Originally Posted By Rosta97:
Alright so let’s talk about the land I did get.

So what was I looking for?  

Want a recreational cabin for now. Somewhere to spend weekends and a week or two here or there to disconnect from technology and reconnect with nature. My wife is hell bent on making it our permanent residence in the future but likely won’t be until the kids are grown.

Wanted something off the beaten path with hunting and or fishing nearby. Ideally wanted something off the road system to avoid anyone just going by. Wanted something that we could easily get to on a Friday night after work so we could go on just a regular short weekend. For example we found an awesome cabin in Homer with an ocean view; but at 580 miles away it would be a once maybe twice a year thing. That distance is like if you lived in New York City and bought a cabin in Halifax Nova Scotia.

So we decided we wanted something within about 120 miles from our house or so.

So when the new land auction came out we reviewed all the options and there was really only one area we were interested in and it hand 8 or so parcels available in the area.

The area is about 85 miles from our house up in the hills and in good hunting area(we found caribou remains on the property when we went to check it out).

It seemed like a good balance of everything we wanted so we decided to bid on 2 adjacent parcels. One that was 18 acres and one that was 16.

We ended up winning the 18 acre one and losing the 16 by about $500. Of course hind sight being 20/20 you kick yourself “of course I would have paid $500 more for it”. But remember it was sealed bid so you had no idea if anyone else even bid and you don’t really want to pay thousands over appraised value if you don’t have to.

I kinda of went back and forth do I just eat the deposit and give up the 18 since I really wanted more acreage than 18. But ultimately decided 18 would be good enough.

Looking around at land out there it seems a lot of people buy it and then never do anything with it. And seems most people don’t visit theirs in the winter at all. So hopefully won’t be an issue.

So let’s talk a little more about the parcel I did get. Like I said it’s about 18 and a half acres. Has other land owners with similar size parcels on the left and right. But no one behind it for near as makes no difference forever(in reality it’s like 25 miles ).

The parcel itself is about 75 miles from the Arctic circle. It sits at about 3,000ft of elevation and is entirely south facing.

The closest town to the parcel is the town of Central, AK.  Population 38. It’s a big gold mining town with the miners only living there in the summer for the most part. It has a bar/restaurant/gas station/ hotel/ general store/laundry mat(it’s all one business in the same building) and a post office. Central is about 50 road miles from my property. Fairbanks(where I live now) being the next closest at 90 miles or so.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/231690/A576D95A-5084-48B6-B08A-828E485F72D8_png-2668467.JPG

The weather there can be unforgiving. It’s a cold windy bitch in the winter. Will hit -90 with wind chill a few times a winter. In the summer it’s nice. Wind keeps the mosquitoes away while it’s blowing. Blue berries everywhere. The winter starts early and end late. This is a picture I took near there in late September https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/231690/3EA0A876-9E75-4FCE-A48C-461E3143B665_jpe-2668482.JPG

Common wildlife is caribou, moose, grizzlies, wolfs.

So one of the better parts is in Alaska if you aren’t in a borough(think county) you don’t pay property tax and my property is just outside the borough line so there is no property tax. I have made an MS paint to illustrate this.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/231690/9FCBD1E1-F085-4C84-A0E1-86F2C81C887B_jpe-2668480.JPG

The land isn’t road accessible; but the trail to it can be driven by a 4x4 truck or SUV in the summer. This is a big plus for hauling stuff out. I’m not sure if I’ll be able to get my trailer up it, but my truck will no problem.

It isn’t plowed in the winter obviously so snowmachines are the only way to get to it in the winter.

It is about 6 trail miles from the road.

Here is approximately the property. The pin is the corner and I estimated the lines from there. https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/231690/73AD27F6-9CE6-414D-B686-D7F96ED33ECF_jpe-2668483.JPG

You can see the trail to get to it on the map as well.

Here is a picture I took on the ground when I went to check it out. The land is approximately where I am pointing. https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/231690/A9AAAA59-6DA6-4BA8-ADAF-3FB9158E3AE9_jpe-2668485.JPG

View Quote

That’s awesome Rosta97.  Congrats.    

Link Posted: 1/13/2023 6:59:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: pdm] [#13]
Originally Posted By H4ppyB34r:

Same place sells Head Lok screws

https://www.loghomestore.com/product/log-hog-screws/

I love these, always keep a box or 2 in the truck.

Amazing grip and pull out resistance, plus the big head\washer are nice
View Quote

I use Log hog or Wood pro depending on the application.  I also use permachink from the same place, Log Home store. That stuff lasts forever….and a big tube goes a long way if you prep accordingly.   Wow…just looked…it's almost doubled in price. I paid $180 for a case of the big tube a couple years ago.  It's up around $350 now.  Covid is the best thing that's ever happended to these companies bottom line it seems.

Here's a link to the Woodpro in 6" that I usually buy for the work around here. If I need to I use a spade bit to countersink and get the right depth. I want to say that the 5/16 ones are equivelant to a 3/8" lag bolt in holding power.

What's great about both is that they are recoverable….which is helpful when building with screws that cost on the order on $1/per.  I have a box that I use over and over for projects and also a box or two of new ones for permanent applications.
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 10:29:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Rosta97] [#14]

View Quote

While a common etiquette; I’ve never heard of it being a law. And google doesn’t seem to find one supporting it either.
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 10:30:33 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Fulcrum-5:
Who/what owns the land between your property line and that road?
View Quote

The state. All the parcels are set about 100m off the trail. It works out because the elevation starts to go down so you can’t see any cabins from the trail.
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 10:32:56 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By pdm:

I use Log hog or Wood pro depending on the application.  I also use permachink from the same place, Log Home store. That stuff lasts forever….and a big tube goes a long way if you prep accordingly.   Wow…just looked…it's almost doubled in price. I paid $180 for a case of the big tube a couple years ago.  It's up around $350 now.  Covid is the best thing that's ever happended to these companies bottom line it seems.

Here's a link to the Woodpro in 6" that I usually buy for the work around here. If I need to I use a spade bit to countersink and get the right depth. I want to say that the 5/16 ones are equivelant to a 3/8" lag bolt in holding power.

What's great about both is that they are recoverable….which is helpful when building with screws that cost on the order on $1/per.  I have a box that I use over and over for projects and also a box or two of new ones for permanent applications.
View Quote

Are you familiar with a fabric cloth type material to lay inbetween the logs?  I don’t have a picture but it’s what I’ve seen used in the past.

Certainly wasn’t really planning on $1,000 between caulk and screws.

But I did pick up all the windows last night for $100. They aren’t great but they will do for now without spending $2,400 on new windows.
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 2:07:07 PM EDT
[#17]
I do have at least one piece of the puzzle built. And that is the outhouse. My parents house came with what I can only assume is a shack built for kids to wait for the school bus in. But I’m repurposing it to my outhouse. Just going to need to cut a hole in the bench. Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 2:28:04 PM EDT
[#18]
I do have at least one piece of the puzzle built. And that is the outhouse. My parents house came with what I can only assume is a shack built for kids to wait for the school bus in. But I’m repurposing it to my outhouse. Just going to need to cut a hole in the bench. https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/231690/17A9DA6B-FA8C-47C7-A0A7-39E0D96F48FC_jpe-2670502.JPG
View Quote

Don't forget the hidden emergency pistol/shotgun in the outhouse.  Just In Case.
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 2:33:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Saw this while scrolling through Craigslist the other day

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 2:35:30 PM EDT
[#20]

Are you familiar with a fabric cloth type material to lay inbetween the logs?  I don't have a picture but it's what I've seen used in the past.

Certainly wasn't really planning on $1,000 between caulk and screws.

But I did pick up all the windows last night for $100. They aren't great but they will do for now without spending $2,400 on new windows.
View Quote
In all the alaska shows the people use foam rolls in between the logs.
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 3:17:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By akcaribouhunter:
In all the alaska shows the people use foam rolls in between the logs.
View Quote

Yeah I guess foam is the better way to describe it.
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 3:33:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: pdm] [#22]

Are you familiar with a fabric cloth type material to lay inbetween the logs?  I don’t have a picture but it’s what I’ve seen used in the past.

Certainly wasn’t really planning on $1,000 between caulk and screws.

But I did pick up all the windows last night for $100. They aren’t great but they will do for now without spending $2,400 on new windows.
View Quote

There's all sorts of chinking techniques. Lots of folks use wire screen and mortar mix. For a hand built cabin I wouldn't suggest permachink as you'd go through a ton of it due to the inconsistencies of the log gaps.  I'd still pick 2 or 3 big tubes though for use around the exterior…windows, doors, etc…I use it mainly for exterior log checks to keep water out of those cracks. Stuff is great for that.

As for the screws….I'd buy a box or two even if you spike the logs….you're going to need them and they are handy.
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 3:50:50 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By pdm:

There's all sorts of chinking techniques. Lots of folks use wire screen and mortar mix. For a hand built cabin I wouldn't suggest permachink as you'd go through a ton of it due to the inconsistencies of the log gaps.  I'd still pick 2 or 3 big tubes though for use around the exterior windows, doors, etc I use it mainly for exterior log checks to keep water out of those cracks. Stuff is great for that.

As for the screws .I'd buy a box or two even if you spike the logs .you're going to need them and they are handy.
View Quote
The ground in Alaska moves a lot so the traditional chinking disappeared. Was used where the ground was stable though.

Hiemo and others on Last Alaskans used foam,moss and other local ways.
My grandparents and great grandparents used moss and willow to China.
Only later in life did they build with dimensional wood.
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 3:58:49 PM EDT
[#24]
If you are chinking the logs, the absolute only material I can endorse is Perma-chink. It actually stays in like it should. But the logs you showed are milled and shouldn’t require it…depending on the profile.

As well they look to be D-logs? If so I would be doing dovetails.

Additionally I prefer caulk between the logs as opposed to foam.
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 4:21:43 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 4:23:51 PM EDT
[#26]
If you are chinking the logs, the absolute only material I can endorse is Perma-chink. It actually stays in like it should. But the logs you showed are milled and shouldn’t require it…depending on the profile.

As well they look to be D-logs? If so I would be doing dovetails.

Additionally I prefer caulk between the logs as opposed to foam.
View Quote

I believe those prices are for 4 sided. But I’m going there tomorrow to talk to them and if they have D logs for cheaper those are what I will do.

I know there are better methods than butt and pass. But it’s definitely the easiest and that’s what I’m going for since I’m trying to throw this up in a summer while I work full time.

Link Posted: 1/13/2023 4:29:54 PM EDT
[#27]

View Quote

Every non-public cabin I know of, including mine, is always locked.

If you can't find it in the state statutes, it doesn't matter what some guy said.
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 4:36:35 PM EDT
[#28]
My dad in front of our cabin, just west of Petersburg.  Pretty close to your region.  Will be following interesting thread

Link Posted: 1/13/2023 6:38:35 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By taliv:
Is rainwater collection something people do in alaska?

If it’s snow It’s not going in the tank til spring right?
View Quote

Yes, many.  Very common if you're not in town, especially in southeast Alaska which is a temperate rainforest
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 6:39:56 PM EDT
[#30]

Certainly could melt snow in the winter. There are also a couple creeks nearby. But until/if it becomes a full time residence I’ll likely just be bringing water with me.
View Quote

If there's creeks nearby, you're good.  We have a creek next to our cabin that's been the sole drinking water source for 100 years in our family.  If you'd like to boil it, great.   Unless the salmon are spawning, a fast moving creek will likely be the best water you've had
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 7:11:34 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By BayEagle:
Tag

I watched Aviator's thread with interest.  RIP.
View Quote

Same same. And Alaska is very much calling my name; haven't been yet, but plan to very soon.
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 7:14:38 PM EDT
[#32]
I do have at least one piece of the puzzle built. And that is the outhouse. My parents house came with what I can only assume is a shack built for kids to wait for the school bus in. But I’m repurposing it to my outhouse. Just going to need to cut a hole in the bench. https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/231690/17A9DA6B-FA8C-47C7-A0A7-39E0D96F48FC_jpe-2670502.JPG
View Quote

Watch out for those degens from up country
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 7:15:53 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By RTUtah:

Same same. And Alaska is very much calling my name; haven't been yet, but plan to very soon.
View Quote

Careful; you might never leave.

I haven’t been to every state. But I have been to 42 of them and the freedom here is unmatched. Not just guns but everything.

I always joke Alaska’s motto should be “Alaska; you do what you want.”
Link Posted: 1/14/2023 1:54:10 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By withoutremorse42:
My dad in front of our cabin, just west of Petersburg.  Pretty close to your region.  Will be following interesting thread

https://i.imgur.com/cKGes5ch.jpg
View Quote

Petersburg is nowhere near his region…
Link Posted: 1/14/2023 2:29:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: southeast_scrounger] [#35]
Link Posted: 1/14/2023 3:28:46 AM EDT
[#36]
OP, make sure you include bear boards and window shutters that are easy to deal with summer/winter, also, you need to seal the floor from underneath(think plywood) then overlay  sheet metal to keep the animals from eating thru it...including on the lower walls as well...For restrooms..bottom 1/3rd of a 55 gallon drum in an outhouse is about the easiest way to deal with shit...just like the army, you burn it with diesel..we have been doing that with our cabins for years, everything else is just a headache that is going to cover you in shit sooner or later..
Link Posted: 1/14/2023 3:32:38 AM EDT
[#37]

View Quote

Sort of...Ours are locked and the state has zero issues with it... but I was done with people stealing shit...leaving food and bring bears in..we leave a map on the wall of the outhouse, 5 gals gas, a blanket and 2 bottles of water...they can survive if they are smart...
Link Posted: 1/14/2023 3:33:47 AM EDT
[#38]
I need to tag and subscribe to this thread.
Link Posted: 1/14/2023 4:25:10 AM EDT
[#39]
awesome, Thats a dream of mine
Link Posted: 1/14/2023 10:56:31 AM EDT
[#40]

Careful; you might never leave.

I haven't been to every state. But I have been to 42 of them and the freedom here is unmatched. Not just guns but everything.

I always joke Alaska's motto should be "Alaska; you do what you want."
View Quote

It seems to have everything important to me: endless space, lax gun laws, epic alpine climbing, pumping waves, off-the-charts beauty... What's not to like?
Link Posted: 1/14/2023 1:47:42 PM EDT
[#41]

Petersburg is nowhere near his region…
View Quote

Coffman cove is 56 miles south, not far at all in Alaska miles
Link Posted: 1/14/2023 2:17:58 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By RTUtah:

It seems to have everything important to me: endless space, lax gun laws, epic alpine climbing, pumping waves, off-the-charts beauty... What's not to like? /quote]

High fucking prices of everything!

How rural do ya want to go?
Link Posted: 1/14/2023 2:19:48 PM EDT
[#43]

Petersburg is nowhere near his region  [/quote

Coffman cove is 56 miles south, not far at all in Alaska miles[/quote

OP is in the Interior near North Pole/Fairbanks.
Link Posted: 1/14/2023 2:26:58 PM EDT
[#44]

View Quote
That's what my friend's dad did with their cabin near Talkeetna. Bolted OSB shutters over the windows, and bolted door you need a socket wrench to unlock. Thieves likely won't likely be carrying those tools. I guess they could get in with an axe.
Link Posted: 1/14/2023 2:33:33 PM EDT
[#45]

Petersburg is nowhere near his region  [/quote

Coffman cove is 56 miles south, not far at all in Alaska miles[/quote

OP is in the Interior near North Pole/Fairbanks.
View Quote

Aah, I was going off the state land sale document, assumed that was the specific parcel OP was buying
Link Posted: 1/14/2023 3:17:24 PM EDT
[#46]

High fucking prices of everything!

How rural do ya want to go?
View Quote

I wanna be rural... but not R-U-R-A-L.

I can totally see how costs could get pretty outta hand up in those parts.
Link Posted: 1/14/2023 3:33:29 PM EDT
[#47]

Aah, I was going off the state land sale document, assumed that was the specific parcel OP was buying
View Quote

Yeah that was just a random parcel I screen grabbed. Mine is near Central.
Link Posted: 1/14/2023 4:28:29 PM EDT
[#48]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Roger that.  The interior is still pretty cool, even if not SE cool

Definitely have to worry about bigger critters up there, a grizzly trying to get into a cabin is a hell of a force.  Will be watching the thread with interest, even if I lack accuracy in my assumptions
Link Posted: 1/14/2023 6:48:39 PM EDT
[#49]
Went around to the lumber places and what not today. $4.81 a foot for 3 sided 6x6x20ft logs with a 6-8 week wait for them. So gonna put that order in this week.
Link Posted: 1/14/2023 6:49:12 PM EDT
[#50]
Went around to the lumber places and what not today. $4.81 a foot for 3 sided 6x6x20ft logs with a 6-8 week wait for them. So gonna put that order in this week.
View Quote

Page / 29
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top