User Panel

Page / 29
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 12:00:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Rosta97:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GpzLUW9yO0

First video in a while of actually building something.
View Quote
Looks good.

Link Posted: 3/29/2024 8:37:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Picked this up for the cabin. Can charge it ahead of time and use solar panels to charge it. Should come in pretty handy.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 9:45:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LeadBreakfast] [#3]
Picked this up for the cabin. Can charge it ahead of time and use solar panels to charge it. Should come in pretty handy.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/231690/IMG_2271_jpeg-3173100.JPG
View Quote

Battery banks are a beautiful thing- that js pretty much the limit to "comfortable" off grid is getting good power IMO. I use smaller banks for remote camping trips and it makes a world of difference when you are setup to power all your devices from banks. Thanks for continuing to share your progress.
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 9:01:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Made this for in front of the door. Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 9:08:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Looks like what one would see in a punji pit. If that don't stop a bear, nothing will. Nice progress and beautiful place you all have.
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 7:20:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Attachment Attached File

Hauled a bunch of crap out. Trail was the best it’s been all winter. Didn’t have any issues.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Had a heck of a show Friday night.
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 7:24:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Attachment Attached File

Got our window covers and door block installed. Hopefully keep any bears out.

Attachment Attached File

Built a book shelf. Attachment Attached File

Put up curtains. It’s already light until about 10pm there. And starting to get light out at 4am. Attachment Attached File

Had a nice ribeye dinner.

Attachment Attached File

Ended it with burning the outhouse barrel.
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 8:33:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Love the northern lights.

Link Posted: 4/7/2024 8:48:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By akcaribouhunter:
Love the northern lights.

View Quote

It was a nice treat. Already light out until about 10pm. And getting light a bit after 4.

I’m not much of a night owl but stayed up until 2am watching the lights.
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 10:50:36 PM EDT
[#10]
would starlink work there?
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 10:54:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Requiem:
View Quote

I think it would. I use it at my house(only thing available). 70ish straight line miles shouldn’t make too much of a difference.
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 11:11:27 PM EDT
[#12]

I think it would. I use it at my house(only thing available). 70ish straight line miles shouldn’t make too much of a difference.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

that's got to be a life changer for you (at your house)
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 6:35:58 AM EDT
[#13]
Seeing the northern lights like that is a bucket list item for me. Great pics.
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 9:28:59 AM EDT
[#14]

that's got to be a life changer for you (at your house)
View Quote

It was. We had kind of gotten used to no internet.  But it’s nice now with Starlink. We still hardly watch tv, just got used to life without it.
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 6:40:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Rosta97] [#15]
Had some friends come out this weekend. I went and met them at the trail head and guided them out since it had been a long time since they had been out.

When they left they thought they’d be fine on their own.

When they hadn’t texted my inreach in more than enough time to get back to service I went looking and found their truck still at the trailhead.

This was very concerning because it had been over 3hrs since they left my cabin and it’s only 6 miles.

I started looking all over for them.  But with wind and snow it was impossible to try and follow tracks. Eventually it got dark and thought that would make it easier cause they could shine a light and I’d find them.

I eventually went and checked another cabin out there. They were at the cabin. They had gone way off the trail. Gotten their snowmachine buried. And had to crawl on their hands and knees all the way to that cabin. They were smoked.

Was glad to find them alive and just tired. But just goes to show even 6 miles on a trail you ride earlier in the day can be unforgiving. Definitely some lessons learned here. Don’t let anyone try to find their own way out or back. And I need to have my radios out there for comms.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 6:41:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Wow, good lessons indeed. Glad they were ok!
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 9:28:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Lucky that cabin was close enough for them to get to.
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 9:52:10 PM EDT
[#18]
1st pic:  What's in the barrels?

Is your wife still doing yt videos?  I haven't had one come across my yt feed for a while.
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 10:08:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Merlin:

Is your wife still doing yt videos?  I haven't had one come across my yt feed for a while.
View Quote

Nothing at the moment. Going to use them to catch rain.

She is. She uploads a new one every Monday.
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 10:19:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Had some friends come out this weekend. I went and met them at the trail head and guided them out since it had been a long time since they had been out.

When they left they thought they'd be fine on their own.

When they hadn't texted my inreach in more than enough time to get back to service I went looking and found their truck still at the trailhead.

This was very concerning because it had been over 3hrs since they left my cabin and it's only 6 miles.

I started looking all over for them.  But with wind and snow it was impossible to try and follow tracks. Eventually it got dark and thought that would make it easier cause they could shine a light and I'd find them.

I eventually went and checked another cabin out there. They were at the cabin. They had gone way off the trail. Gotten their snowmachine buried. And had to crawl on their hands and knees all the way to that cabin. They were smoked.

Was glad to find them alive and just tired. But just goes to show even 6 miles on a trail you ride earlier in the day can be unforgiving. Definitely some lessons learned here. Don't let anyone try to find their own way out or back. And I need to have my radios out there for comms.https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/231690/IMG_2715_png-3188022.JPG
View Quote
Dang they are lucky you checked on them and they found a cabin.

Did they have gear to shelter in place?

Deep snow in the willows can be deadly if you fall wrong.

I have been up to my neck when I jumped off the snogo in the willows.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 9:18:51 AM EDT
[#21]

View Quote

They had a small pack with some bare essentials. But a night outside would have been rough.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 10:53:25 AM EDT
[#22]

They had a small pack with some bare essentials. But a night outside would have been rough.
View All Quotes

I hope they learned a lesson to have a nice pack with enough stuff to survive  a few days.

Not even a shovel?

I always have one on the expedition because of how big it is plus a ax.
Learned that one quick.

There have been people get lost even in the villages here from blizzards.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 11:05:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Rosta97] [#23]
They had a shovel. They got it unstuck a few times. Unfortunately kept heading further in the wrong direction each time they got it free.

Luckily were 1/4 mile from a cabin. But that was a long quarter mile up hill through chest deep snow.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 11:46:20 AM EDT
[#24]
Rosta, would it bother you if someone crashed in your cabin purely for survival?

(assuming everything is left intact, nothing stolen)
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 12:01:43 PM EDT
[#25]
Rosta, would it bother you if someone crashed in your cabin purely for survival?

(assuming everything is left intact, nothing stolen)
View Quote

Not at all. I’ve been in enough shitty situations to know it happens.

I have a note inside the door explaining where first aid kit; firewood; food etc is. Mine doesn’t have any locks.

We talked to the neighbor. He was fine with it. Not the first time either. His main cabin is locked but he has a note explaining his guest cabin(real bare bones, bunk beds and a small stove) is unlocked.

It’s unlikely anyone would end up at mine in a situation. You can’t even see it until you’re almost to it. His is pretty prominent and can be seen from a long ways off so I’m sure it’s more common for him.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 4:20:03 PM EDT
[#26]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Merlin:

And just like that, they started coming back up on my feed!  
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 4:42:28 PM EDT
[#27]
Just watched the pizza bus vid.

Out here in the 60s to the mid 70s there was a British double decker bus used as a restaurant.

The boys are a hoot.

Link Posted: 4/23/2024 11:51:07 AM EDT
[#28]

Not at all. I've been in enough shitty situations to know it happens.

I have a note inside the door explaining where first aid kit; firewood; food etc is. Mine doesn't have any locks.

We talked to the neighbor. He was fine with it. Not the first time either. His main cabin is locked but he has a note explaining his guest cabin(real bare bones, bunk beds and a small stove) is unlocked.

It's unlikely anyone would end up at mine in a situation. You can't even see it until you're almost to it. His is pretty prominent and can be seen from a long ways off so I'm sure it's more common for him.
View Quote
Accommodations must be made in the state that's always trying to kill you.
Page / 29
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top