Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/31/2004 10:52:49 AM EDT
My house is a ranch with a basement. The basement is a 1,215 square foot rectangle. I put a humidity gauge down there. It says the humidity is almost 80%. The "comfort zone" on the gauge is around 45%. My questions are:

1. What % do I want my humidity?

2. How many pint dehumidifier do I need to bring 1,215 square feet at 80% down to 45% or whatever.

3. What is a good brand and where should I shop?

I looked at Sears and Walmart so far. They look identical except the name on them. They are energy star rated. I'm sure they are made by same company. Walmart is about 15% cheaper.
Link Posted: 7/31/2004 11:06:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Mostly the size depends on how often you want to empty it.
Link Posted: 7/31/2004 11:25:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Two may be more convenient.
Link Posted: 7/31/2004 12:29:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Lowes has a good variety of sizes to choose from and they will probably have prices as cheap as anywhere else
Link Posted: 7/31/2004 12:44:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Whirlpool has one that will run down to 44 degrees and can take a drain hose .
Link Posted: 8/2/2004 9:16:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Buy the biggest you can afford and I like the ones at Lowes.  Maytag Energy-Star models.  I didn't have much luck with the Whirpool models.

GunLvr
Link Posted: 8/2/2004 9:18:02 AM EDT
[#6]
I bought Whirlpool at Lowes.

Didn't work.  Exchanged it for another Whirlpool.

2nd one didn't work, returned it.

Went to Sears - got a winner.

Real nice - run a hose into your sump pump well so you don't have to dick with the bucket.

70 pint, IMO

Link Posted: 8/2/2004 9:18:10 AM EDT
[#7]
It's good to remove the humidity, but don't let it stop you from searching for and correcting the source of the moisture.
Link Posted: 8/2/2004 9:18:59 AM EDT
[#8]
get one you can drain with a hose
mine has a digital readout which is nice
Link Posted: 8/2/2004 9:21:42 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Whirlpool has one that will run down to 44 degrees and can take a drain hose .

yup i have the 65 pnt version and would reccomend it for this application.
Link Posted: 8/2/2004 9:25:00 AM EDT
[#10]
Be careful about temperature. If the ambient temperature is below 65 degress for an extended period of time, a standard dehumidifier will probably freeze over. I learned this the hard way. If your basement is not heated, or if you don't have the heat on very often, you might have to buy a "low temperature" model that is designed to be less suceptible to freezing. Follow the guidelines on the box or manual to see what the requirements are.
Link Posted: 8/2/2004 10:30:58 AM EDT
[#11]
I have an old Kenmore (Sears) one that works like a champ - I've had to replace the bearings a few times in the motor, and eventually had to replace the motor, but this thing was OLD when I got it (came with the house) and runs ALL the time - so for 7 years of service, I've had to replace the motor once and it works great now.
Link Posted: 8/2/2004 10:39:48 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I bought Whirlpool at Lowes.

Didn't work.  Exchanged it for another Whirlpool.

2nd one didn't work, returned it.

Went to Sears - got a winner.

Real nice - run a hose into your sump pump well so you don't have to dick with the bucket.

70 pint, IMO

content.sears.com/data/product_images/042/54701/04254701000-dlv.jpg

I just bought that one.  

The Low Temp feature is also important.  This model operates down to 42 F--the regular model stops at 65 F!
Link Posted: 8/2/2004 10:50:28 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
It's good to remove the humidity, but don't let it stop you from searching for and correcting the source of the moisture.

That's what I was thinking. Unless you live next to a swamp, that much humidity sounds like lack of ventilation might be  part of the problem – and a vent fan is a lot cheaper to run than a dehumidifier.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top