Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 47
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 8:53:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Ayada:

Design of Toyota's latest OEM one really highlights the idea of dust protection:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/470909/zoomed-3140465.jpg

Certainly not something that is mandatory but it does have it's benefits and not just for water.

View Quote

That’s pretty slick. I’d like one but want something lower profile like that.
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 2:19:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By 3one5:

That’s pretty slick. I’d like one but want something lower profile like that.
View Quote

TJM does some similar.
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 2:36:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jafrush] [#3]
Late to the replies, but any 4x4 vehicle that I'm expecting to put through any tougher use gets a snorkel.

It makes a huge difference in dust, which is really helpful when traveling in convoys. See below. It was about a 50 mile leg that looked like that from start to finish.

While there's a LOT more that needs to be done for water protection, it does prevent water intrusion from brief crossings or splashes. I've hit water holes before that were deceptively deep, enough that the truck floated for a second before hitting the bottom and coming back out. Water completely over the hood. The snorkel definitely helped prevent any real issues with taking in water, despite tons of it coming in the cab.

As mentioned already most high clearance bumpers also require a trim to the fender liner, which creates a nice scoop right into the air intake.

Attachment Attached File

ETA the current snorkeled rig. I prefer Safari, yes they're big and bulky, but from what I've seen they outperform everything else out there.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/26/2024 2:44:38 PM EDT
[#4]
We call that Tuesday out here in WTX. It actually looks like that out today. I drive 6-8K miles a month every month, and spend a ton of time in that crap on on dirt roads in it. I check my air filter every 3-4 weeks during oil changes, and it’s never been an issue. Replace it every 2-3 oil changes depending how it looks. I take these trucks to 200K+ every time without issue. We have 8 other trucks running similar conditions and drive schedules without issues as well. None of them have snorkels either
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 2:51:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By WTXTremor:
We call that Tuesday out here in WTX. It actually looks like that out today. I drive 6-8K miles a month every month, and spend a ton of time in that crap on on dirt roads in it. I check my air filter every 3-4 weeks during oil changes, and it's never been an issue. Replace it every 2-3 oil changes depending how it looks. I take these trucks to 200K+ every time without issue. We have 8 other trucks running similar conditions and drive schedules without issues as well. None of them have snorkels either
View Quote
I've seen a truck without one be fine in the morning and after that route bad enough the next morning that it has trouble running. Blow out the filter and problem went away.

Every vehicle is different.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 7:21:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Finally got all the air lines in place and had a chance to play with the compressor.  Aired up a 37" tire that was super low in no time at all.  Also had to test blowing up a river tube to show the wife how useful it will be.  
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 7:34:02 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a 4 tire inflation setup coming.  I'd like to grab a single hose and have my eyes on the one from ARB.  However, I'm sure someone makes a quality hose for less than $65.  Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 11:13:44 AM EDT
[#8]
I have a 4 tire inflation setup coming.  I'd like to grab a single hose and have my eyes on the one from ARB.  However, I'm sure someone makes a quality hose for less than $65.  Any suggestions?
View Quote
I haven't found a hose I like better than my ARB hoses, or one that rolls up smaller. I'm sticking with ARB.

Link Posted: 3/1/2024 11:14:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By jafrush:
Late to the replies, but any 4x4 vehicle that I'm expecting to put through any tougher use gets a snorkel.

It makes a huge difference in dust, which is really helpful when traveling in convoys. See below. It was about a 50 mile leg that looked like that from start to finish.

While there's a LOT more that needs to be done for water protection, it does prevent water intrusion from brief crossings or splashes. I've hit water holes before that were deceptively deep, enough that the truck floated for a second before hitting the bottom and coming back out. Water completely over the hood. The snorkel definitely helped prevent any real issues with taking in water, despite tons of it coming in the cab.

As mentioned already most high clearance bumpers also require a trim to the fender liner, which creates a nice scoop right into the air intake.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/350579/IMG_20211201_145239_jpg-3142144.JPG

ETA the current snorkeled rig. I prefer Safari, yes they're big and bulky, but from what I've seen they outperform everything else out there.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/350579/20240120_171707_jpg-3142154.JPG

View Quote
I like it. I'm assuming it's a 200 model? Any issues installing it on the LX?
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 12:02:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Monkey_Wrench:
I haven't found a hose I like better than my ARB hoses, or one that rolls up smaller. I'm sticking with ARB.

View Quote

Same. I lucked out and found an arb hose and gauge on ebay for 20 bucks.

Link Posted: 3/1/2024 12:12:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Monkey_Wrench:
I like it. I'm assuming it's a 200 model? Any issues installing it on the LX?
View Quote
Yeah 2008-2015 200 Safari Airmax. It was actually a really good fit, and probably the easiest snorkel install I've ever done. I know the 200 snorkels do NOT work on the 16+ LXs.
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 2:19:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Wagonteeth:

Same. I lucked out and found an arb hose and gauge on ebay for 20 bucks.

View Quote

Ordered, thanks guys!
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 6:21:21 PM EDT
[#13]
i need to put new tires on my '86 Samurai.  my Samurai is pretty stock (no lift kit, etc).  this will be driven primarily on city streets with some off road/trails occasionally.  not rock climbing or anything crazy.

with that in mind, which would be a better choice - Toyo AT3 or General ATX tires?  Either one is about $160 each.  these are only two options my local shop has.  any other tires i should be looking at?
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 7:06:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By DirtyHandsRob:
i need to put new tires on my '86 Samurai.  my Samurai is pretty stock (no lift kit, etc).  this will be driven primarily on city streets with some off road/trails occasionally.  not rock climbing or anything crazy.

with that in mind, which would be a better choice - Toyo AT3 or General ATX tires?  Either one is about $160 each.  these are only two options my local shop has.  any other tires i should be looking at?
View Quote
Kinda curious about reccs myself. I'm probably 90% highway but like a little something something for light off-road use.

I had Cooper Discoverer AT3s on my Tundra for a while and was happy with them in terms of wet handling and road noise, but they also have a decent AT tread and look fine if you care about that. I've been shopping for new tires for the LC today and learned that Walmart has Cooper Discoverer All-Terrains that look identical to the AT3 but they're a Walmart exclusive tire. Wondering if they've cut corners or what, since they're about $50-60 less than AT3s

Was thinking about Michelin Defender LTX or these Coopers.

Link Posted: 3/1/2024 7:07:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Finslayer83] [#15]

View Quote

My next set of A/T's either on the 4runner (285/70/17) or if I get a set for the extra set of taco wheels (235/85/16) - will be the AT3

The "XLT" trim is what I ran on previous vehicles and were outstanding.

My spare on the 4runner is an AT3.

ETA:
I've run K0, K02, Toyo AT3 (current 4R), Michelin, Nitto, and the Coopers.

Coopers are my favorite of those, the Toyo's have been solid but have become noisy.

ETA2: Oh man they now have the AT3 XLT in a 285/75/17... prime for the 4R.
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 8:55:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Idk, the tread on the Toyo AT3's look like the letter S. So, it's probably what I'm going to pick.

Link Posted: 3/2/2024 5:00:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Got my camper installed last night.

Link Posted: 3/2/2024 5:38:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Anyone have battery terminal recommendations?  I have a lot of accessories starting to pile up and want good solid connections to everything.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 6:41:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Quick joy ride today.

Sporting the LFD maxtrax mount.

Link Posted: 3/2/2024 9:29:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Anyone have battery terminal recommendations?  I have a lot of accessories starting to pile up and want good solid connections to everything.
View Quote

Military battery terminals are my go-to. If you’re connecting a ton of stuff though, get a bus bar. One for power and one for ground will definitely clean things up. I’d connect your winch directly but everything else should be easily serviced by a 150 amp bar.

Amazon Product
  • Ideal for Automotive, Solar and Marine Use - Our 250 AMP 4-post power distribution block busbar is ideal for automotive, car audio, solar, and marine use. Whether you need to consolidate, distribute, or protect your electrical system, our bus bars are excellent for managing wires and distributing power

Link Posted: 3/3/2024 12:04:47 AM EDT
[#21]
Idk, the tread on the Toyo AT3's look like the letter S. So, it's probably what I'm going to pick.

View Quote

They get noisy at 20k
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 1:07:13 AM EDT
[#22]
View Quote
Details?
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 10:14:59 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Finslayer83:

They get noisy at 20k
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Finslayer83:

They get noisy at 20k

They will be going on a Samurai. I doubt I'll be able to hear the road noise over all the shaking, clanking, banging and wind. Lol.

Link Posted: 3/3/2024 12:03:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AgeOne] [#24]
Originally Posted By PA-Minuteman:
Details?
View Quote

Topo topper badlander.

Im still working on building it out as i just got it installed Friday night

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 12:29:51 PM EDT
[#25]
If anybody is looking for a smoking deal on a budget fridge/freezer there is a lightning deal on this 53qt that makes it about $200.

https://a.co/d/3rrZt7H
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 9:35:37 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Chairborne:
If anybody is looking for a smoking deal on a budget fridge/freezer there is a lightning deal on this 53qt that makes it about $200.

https://a.co/d/3rrZt7H
View Quote

I had the older model and the second generation. Those use very inefficient compressors (also very noisy when they kick on/would vibrate my whole truck) and draw a lot of power(about 6 hours of run time before hitting battery protection). I wouldn't recommend it as a vehicle mount, but it would be fine if you're just testing the idea out or have shore power where you're camping.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 10:03:43 AM EDT
[#27]

I finally got my awning installed the way I want it. I have my cooler mounted behind the driver's seat, so now I have coverage from that door all the way around to the back, where I have my little fold-down table on the tailgate.

Link Posted: 3/4/2024 10:41:12 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By SnoopisTDI:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/60883/20240301_143227-3148909.jpg

I finally got my awning installed the way I want it. I have my cooler mounted behind the driver's seat, so now I have coverage from that door all the way around to the back, where I have my little fold-down table on the tailgate.

View Quote

what brand awning is that?
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 10:53:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 47hooker] [#29]

2020 tacoma. Alucab canopy, CVT tent, CVT awning, tons of shit,  sold three of my motorcycles to build her out.
I have a 2023 tundy I am building out currently with a FWC project M topper.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 12:04:04 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By AgeOne:

what brand awning is that?
View Quote
It's from Overland Vehicle Systems. They offer a couple 270deg options but I'm actually not sure which model this is. Very simple to open and close by yourself, though, and seems to be pretty solid and self-supporting as long as it's not windy.
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 11:23:34 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By SnoopisTDI:
It's from Overland Vehicle Systems. They offer a couple 270deg options but I'm actually not sure which model this is. Very simple to open and close by yourself, though, and seems to be pretty solid and self-supporting as long as it's not windy.
View Quote

I’ve had the larger version of that for about 2 years now. I’ve been pretty happy with it. No complaints so far, and it’s been an extremely welcome addition to camping in the Texas sun.
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 11:32:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Caboose314] [#32]
I'm headed to Moab in a couple weeks (really to go hike Arches/Canyonlands, not to wheel).  Any trails you guys would recommend that are mild enough for someone loaded heavy and solo?

I feel like I can't spend a week in Moab without my truck leaving pavement, no matter how much hiking I do

I'll have more or less the same configuration I did the IDBDR with (stock suspension taco).
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 8:32:39 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By Caboose314:
I'm headed to Moab in a couple weeks (really to go hike Arches/Canyonlands, not to wheel).  Any trails you guys would recommend that are mild enough for someone loaded heavy and solo?

I feel like I can't spend a week in Moab without my truck leaving pavement, no matter how much hiking I do

I'll have more or less the same configuration I did the IDBDR with (stock suspension taco).
View Quote
Take the Willow Springs access road into Arches instead of the main drive and skip the line. Its pretty easy, some small rock ledges and sand.

Beef Basin Road below Canyonlands to access the bottom of Canyonlands. Its on the way to the Needles entrance. Pretty canyon, and a relatively easy road typically. Some great camp spots down the canyon. Salt Creek lower trailhead there is pretty.

Onion Creek is a beautiful easy drive too. We took Hideout Canyon after that, which was also relatively easy, but had a few steep spots and was tight, got lots of pinstripes.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 9:18:54 AM EDT
[#34]
I don't know if I've ever posted in here before, but this is my GX460. I have a pretty complete build right now, but there's always improvements to be made, or new products to try out. Some of the big items are:

Ironman FCP suspension
Either Volk TE37s or Rays 57DR-X wrapped in Toyo OC R/T Trails
Frontrunner rack
Ironman premium front bumper
Warn 12k winch
Full assortment or Baja Designs lighting
CVT Mt Hood tent
Taruca 270 degree awning with lights
Rigd rear swingout with table, sidehack with jerry can holder, and dual Rotopax holders
Goose Gear 3rd and second row elimination
Goose Gear fridge slide with Dometic 50qt

There's a bunch of smaller stuff as well, but that covers the big items I can think of. There's a full build out on IH8MUD.COM here:  Jade Overland IH8MUD build

Any questions, let me know.  There are some very cool builds in this thread.  

Link Posted: 3/6/2024 9:37:15 AM EDT
[#35]
Man, I love these Lexus builds.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 1:06:02 PM EDT
[#36]
Take the Willow Springs access road into Arches instead of the main drive and skip the line. Its pretty easy, some small rock ledges and sand.

Beef Basin Road below Canyonlands to access the bottom of Canyonlands. Its on the way to the Needles entrance. Pretty canyon, and a relatively easy road typically. Some great camp spots down the canyon. Salt Creek lower trailhead there is pretty.

Onion Creek is a beautiful easy drive too. We took Hideout Canyon after that, which was also relatively easy, but had a few steep spots and was tight, got lots of pinstripes.
View Quote

I appreciate it!  I'll map those out this weekend!
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 8:31:18 PM EDT
[#37]

View Quote
Let me know if you want .gpx files
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 8:53:54 AM EDT
[#38]

View All Quotes

I wished I had done Willow Springs when I was at Arches a few years ago. Not to skip the lines or fee, I had an America the Beautiful pass and we showed up so early there was no line at all. I just didn't know about it until afterwards. That and Salt Valley would have added a nice bit of change up.  Arches is awesome for hiking. We went to a lot of different locations as there's multiple great spots, not just the obvious like Delicate arch. I will say that getting there early is very beneficial. Parking can become scarce late morning and early afternoon.

I did Shafer trail, and while the switchbacks are cool, it's only 5 minutes and you're done and the rest of the road after that, while easy, isn't all that much for views except for an overlook of the Colorado. If I'd had it to do over again, I'd have done Onion Creek. It's in the to do list this summer.
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 11:59:06 AM EDT
[#39]
We always make it into parks before sunup. There’s never a line and we can drive straight on through. You can typically enter for free at that time. I’ve had an America the Beautiful pass for the last 7-8 years at all times, so I haven’t taken advantage of it. I figure I’ll donate my share to the parks whether it’s mandatory or not.
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 12:08:17 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By prerunner221:
I don't know if I've ever posted in here before, but this is my GX460. I have a pretty complete build right now, but there's always improvements to be made, or new products to try out. Some of the big items are:

Ironman FCP suspension
Either Volk TE37s or Rays 57DR-X wrapped in Toyo OC R/T Trails
Frontrunner rack
Ironman premium front bumper
Warn 12k winch
Full assortment or Baja Designs lighting
CVT Mt Hood tent
Taruca 270 degree awning with lights
Rigd rear swingout with table, sidehack with jerry can holder, and dual Rotopax holders
Goose Gear 3rd and second row elimination
Goose Gear fridge slide with Dometic 50qt

There's a bunch of smaller stuff as well, but that covers the big items I can think of. There's a full build out on IH8MUD.COM here:  Jade Overland IH8MUD build

Any questions, let me know.  There are some very cool builds in this thread.  

https://scontent.ftpa1-2.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t39.30808-6/415128147_10161117276124494_514625773507975063_n.jpg?_nc_cat=103&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=5f2048&_nc_ohc=Y9Pp8CnF1SIAX-RlYwy&_nc_ht=scontent.ftpa1-2.fna&cb_e2o_trans=t&oh=00_AfCrtbGGdmMlN8AXcAwm8bRrwC_Y39of4WI0RCjnwQn0Sg&oe=65ED8828

https://scontent.ftpa1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t39.30808-6/414628664_10161117277114494_3336486383897147497_n.jpg?_nc_cat=110&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=5f2048&_nc_ohc=fOghyrD33TAAX_cFAx3&_nc_ht=scontent.ftpa1-1.fna&cb_e2o_trans=t&oh=00_AfDIuu04PfhSyBuL-5XVFRFqmGXMuX_vMT0_vxnkXeCjTQ&oe=65ED4613

https://scontent.ftpa1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t39.30808-6/420122203_10161145295884494_4664298058511185773_n.jpg?_nc_cat=107&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=5f2048&_nc_ohc=F7Ko36lDUTUAX9eSvFP&_nc_ht=scontent.ftpa1-1.fna&cb_e2o_trans=t&oh=00_AfAO4HXMAQdOfdnggm0fJ5cpCAC7E3aqiny1HVhc8BYcFg&oe=65EDBDE6
View Quote

Damn very nice.
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 2:57:38 PM EDT
[#41]
Tag. I want to play with my Renegade a bit more, this thread will probably cost me money and give me ideas
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 3:09:03 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By Ludicrous_Speed:

I wished I had done Willow Springs when I was at Arches a few years ago. Not to skip the lines or fee, I had an America the Beautiful pass and we showed up so early there was no line at all. I just didn't know about it until afterwards. That and Salt Valley would have added a nice bit of change up.  Arches is awesome for hiking. We went to a lot of different locations as there's multiple great spots, not just the obvious like Delicate arch. I will say that getting there early is very beneficial. Parking can become scarce late morning and early afternoon.

I did Shafer trail, and while the switchbacks are cool, it's only 5 minutes and you're done and the rest of the road after that, while easy, isn't all that much for views except for an overlook of the Colorado. If I'd had it to do over again, I'd have done Onion Creek. It's in the to do list this summer.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Ludicrous_Speed:

Yeah only do it with the year pass or something already in hand. We got flagged down by a ranger who verified.

I haven't done Shafer or White Rim, we weren't there long enough.

Onion Creek is beautiful, but lots of 4wd trucks trying for Instagram shots there too. We camped in Hideout Canyon at the "official" BLM campground there after Onion. Wins the award for most remote and hard to get to official campground I've been to so far. It was very pinstripey. Took Hideout the rest of the way out then eventually made it down past all the famous trails back into Moab. Was a fun route.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/8/2024 3:49:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Caboose314] [#43]
View All Quotes

I was able to find them, but could use a check on the route I plotted for Beef Basin.  I have it connecting to Ruin Park Rd > Butler Flat Rd > Devil's Lane > rejoining the park roads at the Elephant Hill trailhead.  I was planning a hike from there, so that's perfect if I have the route correct (the red).  I may use it for the trip out of the park so I can hit the trailheads at sunrise using faster roads.

Attachment Attached File

I made the mistake of joining a trip planned by friends without trucks, so we'll be staying at the KOA

I should be able to redeem myself with some BLM camping around Capitol Reef on the way home.

I'll get there late next Friday and plan to start with Canyonlands hoping we can hit it early and avoid crowds.  I'll do Arches on weekdays hoping theres slightly less people.  I think we missed the Utah spring breaks, but I know some other states will be on spring break that week.  I think I can get out of there early enough to hit Capitol Reef on a Thurs/Friday to limit exposure to the instagram retard masses
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 3:57:25 PM EDT
[#44]

I was able to find them, but could use a check on the route I plotted for Beef Basin.  I have it connecting to Ruin Park Rd > Butler Flat Rd > Devil's Lane > rejoining the park roads at the Elephant Hill trailhead.  I was planning a hike from there, so that's perfect if I have the route correct (the red).

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/187062/1_png-3153376.JPG

I made the mistake of joining a trip planned by friends without trucks, so we'll be staying at the KOA

I should be able to redeem myself with some BLM camping around Capitol Reef on the way home.

I'll get there late next Friday and plan to start with Canyonlands hoping we can hit it early and avoid crowds.  I'll do Arches on weekdays hoping theres slightly less people.  I think we missed the Utah spring breaks, but I know some other states will be on spring break that week.  I think I can get out of there early enough to hit Capitol Reef on a Thurs/Friday to limit exposure to the instagram retard masses
View All Quotes

I was able to find them, but could use a check on the route I plotted for Beef Basin.  I have it connecting to Ruin Park Rd > Butler Flat Rd > Devil's Lane > rejoining the park roads at the Elephant Hill trailhead.  I was planning a hike from there, so that's perfect if I have the route correct (the red).

I've never driven that road much past where it hits the bottom of the image and goes back up. It does go into the 4x4 areas of Canyonlands just north of there. I think that's probably a multi-day trip through there. If you're not camping and not hiking the Salt Creek Canyon its probably not worth trying to hit that road. Id just head straight to canyonlands and hit hiking trails.

Elephant Hill from photos looks pretty technical, but again haven't had a chance to drive it. Definitely a high clearance 4x4 road though.
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 7:16:05 PM EDT
[#45]
I've never driven that road much past where it hits the bottom of the image and goes back up. It does go into the 4x4 areas of Canyonlands just north of there. I think that's probably a multi-day trip through there. If you're not camping and not hiking the Salt Creek Canyon its probably not worth trying to hit that road. Id just head straight to canyonlands and hit hiking trails.

Elephant Hill from photos looks pretty technical, but again haven't had a chance to drive it. Definitely a high clearance 4x4 road though.
View Quote

Ahh gotcha, I should be able to see some of it while hiking the high ground around it, but sounds like I should save it for a leg rest day and poke around on the south side.
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 10:14:33 PM EDT
[#46]

I was able to find them, but could use a check on the route I plotted for Beef Basin.  I have it connecting to Ruin Park Rd > Butler Flat Rd > Devil's Lane > rejoining the park roads at the Elephant Hill trailhead.  I was planning a hike from there, so that's perfect if I have the route correct (the red).  I may use it for the trip out of the park so I can hit the trailheads at sunrise using faster roads.

View All Quotes

Hey, KOA is better than what I have to do, which is staying at hotels. My wife isn't much for any form of roughing it, and I don't like doing stuff by myself. We've compromised that we'll find an offroad trailer she likes which will get us to a lot of places we can't currently do as the logistics of driving somewhere always has to include travel time to and from where we're staying.  I'm determined to make it happen. Kinda bought the Power Wagon on a bit if a whim, and fell in love when it brought back all the memories of doing stuff like this in Eastern Oregon as a kid.

I wouldn't worry about Canyonlands and crowds. We entered the gate around 1pm and there was 1 car ahead of us. Every overlook had plenty of parking. And this was in the middle of July. It's just not that popular of a park what with Arches literally 15 minutes down the road. My understanding is the Needles area is even less busy (heading there this year since we already did the North side) of course, with Arches going to a reservation system, that may push people to visit Canyonlands more.
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 12:18:49 PM EDT
[#47]
So two questions for y’all.

first has anyone here downsized from a full-size truck to a midsize? How did that go? And what was your reasoning?

Second, does anyone here have or have experience with the fifth gen ranger? Anything to look out for, I know the stock suspension on anything other than the tremor is trash.  Seems like reliability hasn’t been an issue.

My current vehicle is a 2012 crew cab Sierra 1500.  It’s been a great truck, reliable, plenty of power with the 6.2, but it’s huge, aftermarket support for anything other than turning it into a pre runner is non existent, and now that we are 100 certain we won’t be having another child rear seat room is less of a concern.  

Link Posted: 3/9/2024 2:47:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Caboose314] [#48]
Originally Posted By blownfour:

first has anyone here downsized from a full-size truck to a midsize? How did that go? And what was your reasoning?

Second, does anyone here have or have experience with the fifth gen ranger? Anything to look out for, I know the stock suspension on anything other than the tremor is trash.  Seems like reliability hasn’t been an issue.

My current vehicle is a 2012 crew cab Sierra 1500.  It’s been a great truck, reliable, plenty of power with the 6.2, but it’s huge, aftermarket support for anything other than turning it into a pre runner is non existent, and now that we are 100 certain we won’t be having another child rear seat room is less of a concern.  

View Quote

I went from a Tundra to a Taco I jokingly named "baby truck" (I briefly had a car in between).  I don't tow boats/haul motorcycles like I did when I originally bought the Tundra, and it's rare that I have people in the back seat.  I really like the smaller size on trails.

My main reasoning was that truck prices have gotten so bloated I didn't want to spend $65k on a half ton when a $40k truck met my needs.  It was probably worse when I was buying (22) because the post covid demand for trucks was still high.

On my first couple trips the smaller truck felt cramped with gear and I was contemplating a rear seat delete, but I've been carrying less and less with each trip as I've learned what I really end up using.  I carried less stuff on my 3 week trip last summer than I did on my first weekend trip in the truck.
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 4:28:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: thezentree] [#49]

View Quote

I’ve owned a 2008 version of your truck since 2011. I bought a 3rd gen 4Runner in 2018, intending to turn the 4Runner into a woods toy and the Sierra would stay my DD.

Since then I’ve put 98k miles on the 4Runner and maybe 10k on the Sierra. The Sierra is nicer, faster, and quieter, but it sucks at everything else I want to do. The only thing keeping me from selling it is dealing with mouth breathers on fb marketplace
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 5:30:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Finslayer83] [#50]

View Quote

2012 DCSB Tacoma > 2017 SCREW FX4 Roush F150 > 2017 TRDP 4R (and added 1st gen Taco).

The only thing I missed (never think about it now) right at first was the "presence" you had on the highway. The 4runner is big enough presence wise now to where it's a non issue, but I notice it in the smaller framed 1st gen tacoma.

I didn't haul anything but air and shit to the beach in it. If I towed something or used the bed for what it is, I might have a different opinion. Everyone is different in how it will be used, but I get just as much use out of my tiny 1st gen tacoma bed as I did with the F150, as I'm still using it for the same thing.

Going to the Ranger / Canyon / Tacoma / Gladiator / 4runner / GX460 "size" is so much nicer overall to drive and far easier to park.

You will lose the bigger engine options but that's part of it. MPG and economy is most likely a wash.
Page / 47
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top