[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 3one5:

This was our trip out there last Fall.
https://i.imgur.com/8KW3XVM.png
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

@3one5

How was this? I'm planning to do the loop next year or the year after, depending on gas prices since I don't relish driving my Power Wagon from VA to CO on current gas prices

I also am working on upgrading the PW, since its still basically stock. Planned on doing wheels, tires, suspension last year but unexpected life expenses got in the way.
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 11:19:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: prebans] [#2]
Dumb question from someone who isn’t an overlander:

I need a 12’ - 16’ enclosed trailer which is capable of going down some very badly rutted and washed out dirt roads.  There’ll be way more “normal” road use, but it must be able to traverse crap dirt “roads” too.  Use will be cargo-only, not sleeping or using as a camper.  The trailer will probably need two axles and will have trailer brakes.  Buying and modifying an existing normal trailer from a salvage auction and modifying it is fine.

Any advice or recommendations of things to do?

Thanks.  I admit being totally lost here.
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 12:40:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By prebans:
Dumb question from someone who isn't an overlander:

I need a 12' - 16' enclosed trailer which is capable of going down some very badly rutted and washed out dirt roads.  There'll be way more "normal" road use, but it must be able to traverse crap dirt "roads" too.  Use will be cargo-only, not sleeping or using as a camper.  The trailer will probably need two axles and will have trailer brakes.  Buying and modifying an existing normal trailer from a salvage auction and modifying it is fine.

Any advice or recommendations of things to do?

Thanks.  I admit being totally lost here.
View Quote
You will likely be looking at a cargo trailer with the standard "trailer" leaf spring set up.  You can do a weld on spring over modification which will give you about 4" of lift.  

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008OADK9G?tag=arfcom00-20

This gives you more clearance but you are still stuck with the crappy off road performance of the stock trailer suspension.  It will work though and would be your cheapest solution to a temporary use issue.
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 6:49:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By cinco1:
You will likely be looking at a cargo trailer with the standard "trailer" leaf spring set up.  You can do a weld on spring over modification which will give you about 4" of lift.  

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008OADK9G?tag=arfcom00-20

This gives you more clearance but you are still stuck with the crappy off road performance of the stock trailer suspension.  It will work though and would be your cheapest solution to a temporary use issue.
View Quote

@cinco1

Thank you!  Any advice if I want to improve the suspension and am willing to pay more to do so?
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 7:11:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By NunyaBidness:
Leaving for Moab tomorrow. I'll post some pics in this thread.
View Quote

Going to be hot AF,just got back a week ago.
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 11:13:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Ludicrous_Speed:

@3one5

How was this? I'm planning to do the loop next year or the year after, depending on gas prices since I don't relish driving my Power Wagon from VA to CO on current gas prices

I also am working on upgrading the PW, since its still basically stock. Planned on doing wheels, tires, suspension last year but unexpected life expenses got in the way.
View Quote

It was amazing, we had a great time. The trails aren’t terribly crazy, there’s just a lot of exposure. I’ll definitely get back out there again.
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 11:01:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: cinco1] [#7]
Originally Posted By prebans:

@cinco1

Thank you!  Any advice if I want to improve the suspension and am willing to pay more to do so?
View Quote
@prebans

If you are simply doing rutted roads a 2-wheel drive car/truck can navigate, I'd stick with the basic "trailer" suspension (these are the small length leaf springs) and do the spring over axle conversion.

If you want something to actually use offroad, you are looking at a custom set up.  Pretty easy for a single axle unit to remove basic trailer leaf springs/hangers and replace with actual truck rear leaf springs/hangers/shackles/shocks.  Dual axles you'd be looking at a trailing arm/air bag set up = expensive.

A cargo trailer is not suited for the above type of use - typically too long, dual axles, top heavy, etc.

I'd go with the spring over axle conversion with the stock set up.  Pretty cheap and it is reversible (new conversion kit can be tack welded in place and ground back off easy).   If it ain't up to snuff, then you can reinvest elsewhere.

ETA - here is a video for reference...

Trailer RV Lift -- Easy + CHEAP!! - Dexter Axle Leaf Spring Over Under Conversion Kit!!

Link Posted: 6/13/2022 11:07:23 AM EDT
[#8]
According to Ford, I can now drive in the rain and through puddles. (The foam engine cover. Seems stupid.)

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 6/13/2022 11:08:06 AM EDT
[#9]
I guess I'll bring my spare alternator...
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 6:35:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By 103:
According to Ford, I can now drive in the rain and through puddles. (The foam engine cover. Seems stupid.)

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/106019/287069907_3282229222008647_6719210079551-2416769.JPG
View Quote

What's that all about?  Is that something Ford sells to supposedly give someone that kind of functionality?
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 10:50:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Instead of cutting a hole in my roof, are there any fans I can stick in an open window overnight?
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 11:07:44 PM EDT
[#12]

What's that all about?  Is that something Ford sells to supposedly give someone that kind of functionality?
View Quote
It's just a cheapy cover that comes on some models. They have had problems with water getting into the plug and killing the coils. Ford advised that the cover will prevent that. Rangers under warranty get the covers for free. I bought one because they are cheap. And if they do protect the coils, why not? I do think it's stupid looking.
Link Posted: 6/15/2022 12:14:30 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By 103:
It's just a cheapy cover that comes on some models. They have had problems with water getting into the plug and killing the coils. Ford advised that the cover will prevent that. Rangers under warranty get the covers for free. I bought one because they are cheap. And if they do protect the coils, why not? I do think it's stupid looking.
View Quote

Interesting.  At least there's a solution.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 5:49:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Anyone build their own overlanding trailer?  Very tempted to buy an old hummer trailer, forget the designation on it, and build something up myself.  The commercial trailers are crazy expensive.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 5:50:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Anyone build their own overlanding trailer?  Very tempted to buy an old hummer trailer, forget the designation on it, and build something up myself.  The commercial trailers are crazy expensive.
View Quote

Plenty of them out there on marketplace and other places. I'd start there maybe, some already semi built and people just ran out of time/money/interest.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 6:43:20 PM EDT
[#16]
View Quote

I put 8.5" of lift on our Palomino Pony pop up. Goes anywhere the truck can go,and actually has more clearance than the Taco.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 11:09:32 PM EDT
[#17]
View Quote

Maybe buy a used one on The expedition portal forum. The popup canopy campers seem to be all the rage now.
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 1:59:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By OregonShooter:

...The popup canopy campers seem to be all the rage now.
View Quote

I assume you're talking about the Aluma-Cab?  Super freaking nice but damn they're expensive!

Link Posted: 6/23/2022 2:50:00 PM EDT
[#19]

I assume you're talking about the Aluma-Cab?  Super freaking nice but damn they're expensive!

View Quote

Alu-cab
GFC camper
AT Overland
Snap! outfitters
OVRLND

Most are wedge designs that have very high prices for what they are. But they also have very long wait times so it's obviously worth it for some.
Link Posted: 6/25/2022 10:37:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: thezentree] [#20]
I accidentally #overlanded the Tail of the Dragon on Memorial Day weekend on the way to an airbnb. Obviously I bought a picture from killboy.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/27/2022 9:19:41 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 6/27/2022 9:21:26 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 6/27/2022 12:19:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jafrush] [#23]
Nice shots @SnoopisTDI Man I love the views out West.
Wifey wheeling my 4R this weekend in a ladies' class.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 6/27/2022 12:56:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SnoopisTDI] [#24]
Originally Posted By jafrush:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/350579/20220625_140827_jpg-2432681.JPG

View Quote
Thanks, it was a great trip! We attempted Webster pass but it was snowed over still. Completed Hagerman pass. Drove some forest service roads in Arapaho near Granby. 7 nights camping. 14 breweries.

4runner looking good. I could use a class, my skills were definitely a little rusty!
Link Posted: 6/27/2022 1:14:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 77Bronc] [#25]
I have three that we use for venturing out for photography, not a lot of real hard core off-roadiing, but they are capable if we ever decided to do that

2019 Jeep JL 2 door
2020 Land Cruiser
2022 4Runner TRD Offroad Premium

All are great vehicles

Link Posted: 6/27/2022 1:23:08 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By 77Bronc:
I have three that we use for venturing out for photography, not a lot of real hard core off-roadiing, but they are capable if we ever decided to do that

2019 Jeep JL 2 door
2020 Land Cruiser
2022 4Runner TRD Offroad Premium

All are great vehicles

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/16476/F5CD75F8-C96F-45E0-B9B2-ED3D6C8FCC99-2242684.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/16476/D82312CB-9E4F-4CB6-8EB3-76202A1DC2E7-1749991.jpg
View Quote

Having fun with family is what its all about dude. Doesnt have to be King of the Hammers
Link Posted: 6/27/2022 1:35:50 PM EDT
[#27]
I'm continuing to make progress on my overland sedan. Installed a 3 inch body lift last weekend.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 6/27/2022 3:15:44 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By SnoopisTDI:
Thanks, it was a great trip! We attempted Webster pass but it was snowed over still. Completed Hagerman pass. Drove some forest service roads in Arapaho near Granby. 7 nights camping. 14 breweries.

4runner looking good. I could use a class, my skills were definitely a little rusty!
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SnoopisTDI:
Originally Posted By jafrush:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/350579/20220625_140827_jpg-2432681.JPG

Definitely jealous. Did four nights this spring but mostly in UT. Everything was still pretty snowy.

I'm not familiar with any classes in TX, but if you want to come to NC, I know some guys I help out with the classes here
Link Posted: 6/27/2022 3:53:46 PM EDT
[#29]
Recent full time RV-er here with a 28' travel trailer and a 3rd gen dodge 2500 CTD 4x4 with a 3.5" fabtech lift and 35" tires.

I have no misconception that I'm "overlanding" but the rigs are sweet and there are a ton of solutions for storage and camping that I can use between the truck and trailer.

The outdoor kitchen drawer/cabinet thing definitely needs some upgrading. I'm also thinking about some auxiliary lights on the truck.
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 2:18:10 PM EDT
[#30]
Picked up my new project!

Ran across it the other day running around for work.  Wife and I stopped back by on the way back from dinner last night and we decided to give it a go!
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 2:50:31 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Couch-Commando:
I'm continuing to make progress on my overland sedan. Installed a 3 inch body lift last weekend.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/74831/20220613_195645_jpg-2432755.JPG
View Quote
Interesting. What kind of capability will it have?
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 5:16:15 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By feudist:
Interesting. What kind of capability will it have?
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 5:32:04 PM EDT
[#33]
Attachment Attached File

My old ride from 2010…before overlanding was a thing…
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 5:34:42 PM EDT
[#34]

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/74831/20220613_195645_jpg-2432755.JPG
View Quote

That's beautiful. Take it to Moab and trigger all the Jeep / Toyota fanatics

'Overlanding' was the best marketing idea that SEMA has come up with in a couple decades...
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 6:21:37 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By MtnMusic:

'Overlanding' was the best marketing idea that SEMA has come up with in a couple decades...
View Quote
You mean like this?

Crown Vic on Hell's Revenge- Moab, Utah

Link Posted: 6/28/2022 6:50:44 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By fosters:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/99960/9C962C2B-6EDC-4CF1-B695-EC5AFD10706D_jpe-2434096.JPG

View Quote

Rad. I miss my old Disco II. Thing was an absolute mountain goat.
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 7:12:26 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Subcanis:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Subcanis:
Originally Posted By fosters:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/99960/9C962C2B-6EDC-4CF1-B695-EC5AFD10706D_jpe-2434096.JPG

Yeah that one there was geared, air lockers,full saftey devices cage, rovertime control arms, and a bunch of other bits…loved the truck…hated th 10mpg and the constant leaks…even when replacing nearly everything under the hood…it would stilll sprout leaks…cost me a fortune…the land cruiser is a better example of what should have been when it comes to rigs from this era
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 7:18:48 PM EDT
[#38]
You mean like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFwPXEeJ3aI
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By MtnMusic:

You mean like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFwPXEeJ3aI

Moab locals are kinda known for doin goofy shit. Most of the time they get away with it.                 Most of the time.
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 7:31:24 PM EDT
[#39]
Picked up my new project!

https://i.imgur.com/xAtuJMf.jpg

Ran across it the other day running around for work.  Wife and I stopped back by on the way back from dinner last night and we decided to give it a go!
View Quote

very cool.   i need one of those.  where'd you find it?     how hard is it to put a regular ball on it?
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 11:36:52 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By taliv:

very cool.   i need one of those.  where'd you find it?     how hard is it to put a regular ball on it?
View Quote

Just a random used car dealer in Northern CO. Lots of conversions out there for the hitch. Doesn’t appear difficult. I’ll just leave the pintle on.
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 1:27:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: fivepointoh] [#41]
We run up to Northern MI and the UP quite a bit and take the trails around there.  Good times.  Just sucks when you're on a sandy trail and then hit a mud pit.  Last trail we were on it was getting dark and very little cell service and came across a mud pit covering the entire trail with trees on both sides, I was committed as turning around meant risking this off camber curve with deep sand ruts that had my wheel locked all the way to the left on a left hand sweeper and I was still going straight.  I was so rotated/tilted to the side I could reach my hand out and touch the ground.  Pucker factor was very high and I don't want to visit that trail again.  Well anyway, this mud pit was about as long as it was wide so it was tough to get an accurate measure how deep it was.  I was already in 4 LO and sent it.  Entered and was like this isn't so bad, and it just kept getting deeper.  Was over the hood for about 10 feet and luckily it was pretty much the end of the trail to a main road.  One of those moments of reminding me to stop wheeling alone.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 6/29/2022 10:58:55 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By fivepointoh:
We run up to Northern MI and the UP quite a bit and take the trails around there.  Good times.  Just sucks when you're on a sandy trail and then hit a mud pit.  Last trail we were on it was getting dark and very little cell service and came across a mud pit covering the entire trail with trees on both sides, I was committed as turning around meant risking this off camber curve with deep sand ruts that had my wheel locked all the way to the left on a left hand sweeper and I was still going straight.  I was so rotated/tilted to the side I could reach my hand out and touch the ground.  Pucker factor was very high and I don't want to visit that trail again.  Well anyway, this mud pit was about as long as it was wide so it was tough to get an accurate measure how deep it was.  I was already in 4 LO and sent it.  Entered and was like this isn't so bad, and it just kept getting deeper.  Was over the hood for about 10 feet and luckily it was pretty much the end of the trail to a main road.  One of those moments of reminding me to stop wheeling alone.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/90543/gx_photo_jpg-2434929.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/90543/IMG_5164_jpg-2434930.JPG
View Quote

Your rig is badass!  Looks super mean!
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 11:04:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: FBATFE] [#43]
Arf overland crew, Sadly I will be listing my 1991 LC soon it’s a beater but runs and drives good. Pm me if any you know someone interested.
Please don’t COC me, would love to not have to remove the BFL sticker and it go to someone on here.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/30/2022 9:23:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3one5] [#44]

Looks familiar, where is this?

ETA - Never mind, you posted it further down.  Beautiful area!
Link Posted: 7/1/2022 12:17:57 PM EDT
[#45]
Anyone have the Grey Man Tactical seat backs?  They have a blemish sale going and I'm tempted to pick one up.
Link Posted: 7/1/2022 12:23:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: unstabl] [#46]
Anyone have the Grey Man Tactical seat backs?  They have a blemish sale going and I'm tempted to pick one up.
View Quote

I have a GMT panel for the back of my Corbeau driver seat.  I keep a power pack, trash bag (dump bag), air hose, air down kit, chucks, fire extinguisher, flashlight, head lamp, and various electronic adapters in a MOLLE bag on it.  It's great quality, the attachment hardware is tough and easy to use.  It's easy to remove as well.  I keep some empty space on it so I can add or subtract depending on what we are doing.  I really like mine.  My buddy has the Smittybilt fabric MOLLE cover and it's honestly just junk for what he is doing.  It sags a lot and frayed within the first few months.  It hasn't torn or busted though.  It is functional but I think the GMT does it a lot better with the hard rack systems.  I hope that helps.

ETA:  The flashlight is on my work bench but you get the idea here.  The first aid kit is on a tear away velcro headrest mount.

Link Posted: 7/1/2022 1:44:12 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By unstabl:

I have a GMT panel for the back of my Corbeau driver seat.  I keep a power pack, trash bag (dump bag), air hose, air down kit, chucks, fire extinguisher, flashlight, head lamp, and various electronic adapters in a MOLLE bag on it.  It's great quality, the attachment hardware is tough and easy to use.  It's easy to remove as well.  I keep some empty space on it so I can add or subtract depending on what we are doing.  I really like mine.  My buddy has the Smittybilt fabric MOLLE cover and it's honestly just junk for what he is doing.  It sags a lot and frayed within the first few months.  It hasn't torn or busted though.  It is functional but I think the GMT does it a lot better with the hard rack systems.  I hope that helps.

ETA:  The flashlight is on my work bench but you get the idea here.  The first aid kit is on a tear away velcro headrest mount.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/60012/1A6F9EA4-856A-4049-8483-0D380C4727CB-2437600.jpg
View Quote

Awesome, I appreciate the feedback.  I went ahead and ordered the panel.  I'll figure out exactly how I want to set it up later.
Link Posted: 7/1/2022 4:00:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: unstabl] [#48]

Awesome, I appreciate the feedback.  I went ahead and ordered the panel.  I'll figure out exactly how I want to set it up later.
View Quote

I use a lot of Velcro one wrap as well as 6" and 8" velcro Amazon tie straps.  I believe 3/4" and 1" one wrap is what fits my panel.  I'm not sure they are all the same.  I would think they are given they use the same MOLLE platform but I only have the one setup so far.
Link Posted: 7/1/2022 4:28:04 PM EDT
[#49]
A few wheeling trips, a few camping trips in the first 6 months since I got the Bronco

Link Posted: 7/1/2022 8:55:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Finslayer83] [#50]
Helped a buddy swap in a ECGS axle on his CJ-8 today.

Page / 47
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top