Page / 47
Link Posted: 6/9/2022 7:26:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Keekleberrys:
I really need to build my lj
View Quote

JTM in my case, but yeah.

I quickly learned when I got it that I could probably double the price in aftermarket stuff to get it built how I want it, and I needed to get it to a point (not there yet, an LED light upgrade is mandatory, but next after is steel bumper/s and a winch) and just enjoy it for a while before lifting and putting new wheels/tires on it.

Link Posted: 6/9/2022 8:11:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By 103:
Awesome. I'm working my rock sliders for the Ranger. Hope to have them done by July. Also need to work on a sealable but easy to remove lid for my airbox.

Slider mocked up (all that's left is mounting and painting):

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/106019/1EADBCA6-EC43-4940-AC1B-A3D4CFE1E925_jpe-2411834.JPG

Airbox:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/106019/C84419E2-7B60-4F8A-B8A0-5329A12D50DF_jpe-2411833.JPG

Also got a really good deal on almost new 32.6 inch BFGs:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/106019/B8A80642-30E4-4E89-910D-EDFEF4A1EF4D_jpe-2411837.JPG

The sideways picture thing is annoying
View Quote

I like those rims!
Link Posted: 6/9/2022 8:22:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Jerad] [#3]
Originally Posted By taliv:
Was thinking of dudding up my gladiator rubicon but dang if it isn’t just about perfect from factory.  I’m not sure I even want bigger tires

https://i.ibb.co/DVySV91/31-C0-E6-FB-2-B67-4661-969-E-CF613-A75-A126.jpg
View Quote

What trailer are you running?? I assume it’s not US design since the kitchen is on the drivers side. I’m running a custom turtle back that is I think a much improved layout over the factory version my wife really wants an indoor shower for freezing nights.

Been thinking hard about a Kimberly, but don’t love that the kitchen is on the drivers side so when we stop along the road, you’re standing on the road side to make lunch.

Link Posted: 6/9/2022 10:36:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 103] [#4]
Originally Posted By Ayada:

Maybe it's because I'm so used to seeing the Australian models with that bumper but the ARB fits so cleanly on the Ranger.
View Quote
I like it a lot. I came into some unexpected cash last year and decided to splurge. It was way more expensive than I would have saved for.

ETA: The winch is in my garage.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 6/9/2022 11:29:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By fosters:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/99960/51AAEE70-F329-4312-982C-2CEA7C13FC3A_jpe-2412276.JPG
Lot of stuff…lots of miles….lots of fucking gas
View Quote

We did Engineer Pass last year.  Great trail, great scenery.
Link Posted: 6/9/2022 11:37:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By 3one5:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/99960/51AAEE70-F329-4312-982C-2CEA7C13FC3A_jpe-2412276.JPG

Yeah…I was fortunate enough to catch it just as the leaves were changing color…heads turn when a truck from Florida looks competent up there
Link Posted: 6/9/2022 11:40:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/9/2022 11:41:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/9/2022 11:42:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/9/2022 11:42:28 AM EDT
[#10]

Yeah…I was fortunate enough to catch it just as the leaves were changing color…heads turn when a truck from Florida looks competent up there
View Quote

For sure!  It's seems every year someone is falling off the trail.

What route did you take up to trail?  Did you do the entire Alpine Loop?
Link Posted: 6/9/2022 11:43:16 AM EDT
[#11]

Pretty much
Link Posted: 6/9/2022 11:49:37 AM EDT
[#12]

Pretty much
View All Quotes

Pretty much

I've pissed off more than one person with that meme, some folks really take it seriously.  One forum in particular tends to take itself too seriously and has too many snowflakes that cry over anything they think may offend someone.  

I've posted a couple of pictures of my truck in the past, none on this computer; just a Tacoma with a few mods and the back set up for camping/sleeping.
Link Posted: 6/9/2022 11:50:25 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/9/2022 11:54:46 AM EDT
[#14]

Pretty much
View All Quotes

Pretty much

#1 unplanned delay I've found over the years is numbskulls out "car camping" who aren't prepared in the slightest to be where they are.  Whether it's some family who thinks it's OK because "I have an SUV", or some local bubba with a 100qt cooler and tent bouncing around in the back of their 1/2 ton who didn't bring tools, recovery, or any way to call for help.  
Link Posted: 6/9/2022 12:37:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By sandboxmedic:

I've pissed off more than one person with that meme, some folks really take it seriously.  One forum in particular tends to take itself too seriously and has too many snowflakes that cry over anything they think may offend someone.  

I've posted a couple of pictures of my truck in the past, none on this computer; just a Tacoma with a few mods and the back set up for camping/sleeping.
View Quote

I figure if I'm not going to take anyone else too seriously I should't take myself too serious either :)  

All of this is just for fun.  Having a capable vehicle in case it actually were needed for something is just a bonus.
Link Posted: 6/9/2022 12:53:40 PM EDT
[#17]

Looks familiar...

Link Posted: 6/9/2022 1:17:18 PM EDT
[#18]

I figure if I'm not going to take anyone else too seriously I should't take myself too serious either :)  

All of this is just for fun.  Having a capable vehicle in case it actually were needed for something is just a bonus.
View All Quotes

Oh I definitely don't take it seriously, of course I'm sure there are folks who think my truck looks silly too.  Other than the ARB/winch and the camper shell with Yakima rack it looks pretty normal though; of course the side bars are actually steel sliders, there's an OME suspension under it along with some other mods and it's like a Swiss army knife with way too much stuff inside (it kinda looks like a homeless guy lives in the back ; no guns stored in the vehicle normally).  At any given time I could spend a couple of days in it, longer if I stopped by a grocery and added more food and had access to water to filter.  Sometimes I think I kinda took that whole "Be Prepared" thing too seriously.  

It is funny to go to a training class, have a break and go outside and pull out a stove and French press.  
Link Posted: 6/9/2022 1:29:56 PM EDT
[#19]

Oh I definitely don't take it seriously, of course I'm sure there are folks who think my truck looks silly too.  Other than the ARB/winch and the camper shell with Yakima rack it looks pretty normal though; of course the side bars are actually steel sliders, there's an OME suspension under it along with some other mods and it's like a Swiss army knife with way too much stuff inside (it kinda looks like a homeless guy lives in the back ; no guns stored in the vehicle normally).  At any given time I could spend a couple of days in it, longer if I stopped by a grocery and added more food and had access to water to filter.  Sometimes I think I kinda took that whole "Be Prepared" thing too seriously.  

It is funny to go to a training class, have a break and go outside and pull out a stove and French press.  
View Quote

A lot of the stuff I carry around are just nice to haves.  Sometimes you just want to pull over in a beautiful spot, grab a chair and make a cup of coffee.
Link Posted: 6/9/2022 1:33:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 6/9/2022 1:36:35 PM EDT
[#21]
I have a rubicon w/lift.  It's all we need.  We have streamlined our camping essentials to fit inside, no outside carriers for security reasons.  Goes where most rigs can't.
Link Posted: 6/9/2022 1:40:06 PM EDT
[#22]
View Quote

Been there.  Took my stock 92 Toyota 4x4 p/u.  Not a difficult road, really, but very scenic.  IIRC it's an official "scenic byway."  Highly recommended.  Mosquitos were deadly in the meadows below the peak.
Link Posted: 6/9/2022 1:56:04 PM EDT
[#23]

A lot of the stuff I carry around are just nice to haves.  Sometimes you just want to pull over in a beautiful spot, grab a chair and make a cup of coffee.
View All Quotes

Amen to that.  I've met some interesting folks that way as well- pull into an overlook, start brewing up a fresh cup of coffee or tea and have someone walk by and comment so I offer them a cup and next thing you know you've heard a cool story or gotten a recommendation on some place to check out.  I keep a couple of kites in the back too- a simple Prisma stunt and a small foil since both pack up small.  I've gotten a few free beers or a cup of coffee just by letting someone try one- I'm a geek at heart.  
Link Posted: 6/9/2022 1:59:21 PM EDT
[#24]
tagscribe
Link Posted: 6/9/2022 2:07:34 PM EDT
[#25]
I'm just a timing belt job away from completing a mid-life refresh. Knocked out about 200 items on my checklist over the last two months. I plan on doing a big trip with my son this fall.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 6/9/2022 2:10:44 PM EDT
[#26]

Awesome, what rear springs are you using? Any need to regear with the larger tires?
Link Posted: 6/9/2022 2:19:44 PM EDT
[#27]

This was our trip out there last Fall.
https://i.imgur.com/8KW3XVM.png
View Quote

Fantastic.

It's some of the prettiest country in the world.
Link Posted: 6/9/2022 2:39:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Subcanis] [#28]
Originally Posted By hambone96:

Awesome, what rear springs are you using? Any need to regear with the larger tires?
View Quote

ADO Broverland with 1.5 drop shackles. They handle the extra weight of the topper and drawers really nicely. About a 4” total lift in the rear.

My truck was 3.36 stock and I’d say 33’s are the max, but not good. I’m running 285/75/16 and regeared to 3.73 when I swapped in the M205 and M226. Kinda wish I’d have gone 4.10 but this is my daily and gets a lot of highway miles.
Link Posted: 6/9/2022 3:04:36 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Jerad:

What trailer are you running?? I assume it’s not US design since the kitchen is on the drivers side. I’m running a custom turtle back that is I think a much improved layout over the factory version my wife really wants an indoor shower for freezing nights.

Been thinking hard about a Kimberly, but don’t love that the kitchen is on the drivers side so when we stop along the road, you’re standing on the road side to make lunch.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/45749/8E3C92A9-6DE3-4C02-A3E4-86C9F84B979A-2412325.jpg
View Quote

https://imagine-trailvan.co.za/trailvan/
good guess.  i imported it from south africa in 2016
Link Posted: 6/9/2022 3:25:05 PM EDT
[#30]
Has anyone done Land Between the Lakes in Kentucky? Friends and I are going to meet up there to camp and play on trails. I'm used to Central Florida "dirt" roads and the Ozarks. Even if I don't do much driving, I am very much looking forward to it.
Link Posted: 6/9/2022 3:50:35 PM EDT
[#31]
I try to get out 4 or 5 times a year for at least a week.  The build is coming together.  I'm usually hitting the east coast but I'm trying to get back out west next year.  

Link Posted: 6/9/2022 4:32:06 PM EDT
[#32]
Has anyone done Land Between the Lakes in Kentucky? Friends and I are going to meet up there to camp and play on trails. I'm used to Central Florida "dirt" roads and the Ozarks. Even if I don't do much driving, I am very much looking forward to it.
View Quote

There’s a ton of dirt out there. I haven’t been able to spend as much time as I’d like out that way though.

Go during the week if you can. There are some really cool campsites on the lake.
Link Posted: 6/9/2022 4:36:08 PM EDT
[#33]
View Quote

in the southeast regional section of expedition portal forums, there's a bunch of people who do LBL very regularly and can give you advice on booking camping spots etc and which trails to take.
if you're coming from florida, and want to play on dirt, stop at windrock near oliver springs, TN.  you won't be disappointed.
Link Posted: 6/9/2022 5:27:29 PM EDT
[#34]
We spend quite a bit of our free time off-roading/overlanding/camping, just enjoying the outdoors. Making a few changes to my wife’s DD has turned it into a very comfortable and capable off-roader that still gets 20 mpg.

The best modification was a set of Fox 2.5” RR coil overs and shocks with Camburg UCA’s to fit 285/70R17 Ridge Grapplers. This completely changed the truck’s abilities off-road. We’ve also added the Decked drawers, Up-Top Overalnd mid height bed rack and I swap out a few different size Roam cases depending on how much storage we need.

The second best modification was onboard air.

We’ve been all over the western US, from the coastal dunes of Washington and Oregon, to the high mountain passes in Colorado. Spent some time exploring Death Valley, drove the receding shorelines of Lake Powell and Lake Mead, spent a weekend driving dirt roads from northern Utah up to Jackson Hole, Moab is only a few hours away, and we’re making plans to find the land locked gold dredge up in the mountains of Idaho this summer.

I’m still looking at a couple things like ditch lights and maybe a set of bumpers for a winch, but I haven’t had time to really research what I’m going to get.
Link Posted: 6/9/2022 5:34:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Finslayer83] [#35]

Yessss acrosslandAF

Option 1 - for comfy trips / distance trips

(Windrock with @jafrush)

Option 2 - for technical tracks and shorter trips, and the Red Clay Rally

(Franklin St. Forest with @amped)

Link Posted: 6/9/2022 5:36:52 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Keekleberrys:
I really need to build my lj
View Quote

Do it

Link Posted: 6/9/2022 5:47:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Finslayer83] [#37]
View Quote

@amped

Turkey Bay is SxS nuts and hard tracks.

100 roads are easier than 300 roads.

Prepare for mud, there are holes that never see sunlight.

When are you going? I know a few arfcommers that are just over 1.5 hours away.
Link Posted: 6/9/2022 6:00:16 PM EDT
[#38]
OST.  Just got back from 2 weeks in CO and UT.  Did the Alpine loop, Moab, and some really remote exploring in the Manti-La Sal and West CO.  Have to get my pics over.  They don't automatically convert to jpeg from heic when I email now, so I have to convert them.
Link Posted: 6/9/2022 6:13:22 PM EDT
[#39]
My tundra, Icon 2.5” kit on 35s.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/9/2022 6:28:46 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 6/9/2022 11:09:20 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By Finslayer83:

@amped

View All Quotes

@amped

LBL is awesome with a lot to offer. Rich is 100% right, mud holes are no joke

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/10/2022 1:38:02 AM EDT
[#42]
Can we call the top of the overland insanity with the Redtail Overland 25K Carbon fiber "rooftop camper?"
Link Posted: 6/10/2022 7:56:14 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By michealj:

I’m still looking at a couple things like ditch lights and maybe a set of bumpers for a winch, but I haven’t had time to really research what I’m going to get.
View Quote

If I had a ranger I'd 100% go ARB.

The Aussie ranger builds are pretty badass.

Link Posted: 6/10/2022 8:20:19 AM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By OregonShooter:
Can we call the top of the overland insanity with the Redtail Overland 25K Carbon fiber "rooftop camper?"
View Quote

I was about to be like "yeah but CF is lightweight" and then I saw that fucker weighs 300lbs and is a foot tall when closed.

lol nah
Link Posted: 6/10/2022 2:14:18 PM EDT
[#45]
View Quote

I’m going in July most likely.
Link Posted: 6/11/2022 6:11:36 PM EDT
[#46]

Did you have to do the body mount chop to get 35's under it?

I've been looking at the Icon 2.5's.  Thinking those or Fox, just not sure yet.

Your truck looks great!
Link Posted: 6/11/2022 6:15:29 PM EDT
[#47]
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Just a couple of driveway shots as I’m bored
Link Posted: 6/11/2022 6:15:57 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By ashington:
Making some solid headway on my crawler/camper/overlander multipurpose rig. I generally hammock camp, but wanted to build something I could sleep in the back of with storage, onboard water, a fridge and a camp kitchen setup but with minimal fluff otherwise, that could also get shit done on the trail AND be able to drive long distances in relative comfort. There's not much Land Rover left at this point but so far specs are:

Cummins R2.8, GM 10-speed auto
Dynatrac Pro-Rock 60 rear
Dynatrac 44/60 hybrid front
35 spline ARB's F/R
37's
Linked F/R
12" travel Fox components
Lots of Baja Designs lighting

Finishing up the front end now, just need to finalize all my steering and panhard then it'll sit on its own weight. Just scored a crusty old Warn 8274 that I rebuilt and will be using in place of the XD9000 pictured.

https://i.ibb.co/JmH5ww8/IMG-3068.jpg
View Quote

you win
Link Posted: 6/11/2022 9:04:40 PM EDT
[#49]

Just had to come in here and drop baller pics of an even more baller 80.

Link Posted: 6/12/2022 8:34:17 AM EDT
[#50]

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/B926BC70-2451-4EC1-A889-3A3C070B9F9D-404.gif
View All Quotes

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/B926BC70-2451-4EC1-A889-3A3C070B9F9D-404.gif

Thank you…it’s still a work in progress…just set up solar and onboard water, some parts are temporary until I get the parts delivered I ordered  several weeks ago…but it’s coming together
Page / 47
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top