BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 257
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 3:19:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Jagrmaister:
Another DOOMSDAY Blog and thread?  One of these days one of these guys might be right.  Best pull the covers over my head and hide in the corner.  

A lot of zombie flicks predicted this.

View Quote

It only takes the doomers to be right once

In all the zombie movies I have seen they never run out of zombies, just ammo
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 3:19:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By ArGyLe64:

Riiiiight. I'm a single dad with two boys in a two bedroom, 2.5 bath town house. I don't have a spare bedroom or a basement.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By viralinsurgency:

You don't have a spare bedroom with a closet, or a basement?

Space is usually not the barrier to success.  Cost is.

Riiiiight. I'm a single dad with two boys in a two bedroom, 2.5 bath town house. I don't have a spare bedroom or a basement.

Flats of canned goods will slide under beds, stack in the back corners of closets etc. Buy what you eat and rotate it. Buy some of what you don’t normally eat and eat a can occasionally to keep it rotated.
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 3:20:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Remember all the zombie prepping during 0bama?

0bama 2.0 or 3.0 however you want to look at it.
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 3:22:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 3:23:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By jvm:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By jvm:
Originally Posted By Jagrmaister:
Another DOOMSDAY Blog and thread?  One of these days one of these guys might be right.  Best pull the covers over my head and hide in the corner.  

A lot of zombie flicks predicted this.

If there's that many zombies knocking on my door that I run out of ammo I am fucked anyways.
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 3:23:19 PM EDT
[#6]
2yrs of supplies

Link Posted: 5/5/2022 3:29:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Texas_Infidel:

Oh that happened.  It was a test run.  It was called BLM summer of love.   Nobody did shit.  Nobody will do shit come teotwawki.  Anyone who stands up, will be doxxed and prosecuted, ask the couple from MO.  The good man is fucked no matter how much you want to stock up.  People/governmets will seize and redistribute all your supplies.   The FBI will lie and prosecute those who grumble and turn them into felons while they create the plans to kidnap someone stupid, like a governor or something.   If you go to a public building and are invited in by the police, they'll later arrest you and hold you as a terrorist and deny you due process. (Jan 6).  

Only the good die young, and if you haven't noticed, nobody will help the good guy or the one prepared.  They will be vilified relentlessly.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 3:32:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Nailcrusher:

2 years is a ridiculous amount of time to prep for. If you’re not in a community sustainable situation with other folks within a 6-12 month period you’re screwed. Preps are just to buy time while the world goes to Hell and starts sorting itself out.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By midmo:
Originally Posted By Dissident:
Originally Posted By whollyshite:
Bah!  Garbage.  No one needs to stock up.  There's Walmarts everywhere.  You can just go there.  You'll be fine.

I sense the sarcasm and I agree with you....  But 2 years?  If its that bad that 2 years of preps is recommended, I have serious reservations that most will live long enough to use it up or not have it taken from them unless its all at a some bug out location.  And even then I have to wonder.

I would guess the 2 years is a buffer against first post-catastrophe year crop failure.

2 years is a ridiculous amount of time to prep for. If you’re not in a community sustainable situation with other folks within a 6-12 month period you’re screwed. Preps are just to buy time while the world goes to Hell and starts sorting itself out.

Agreed.  I'm just taking a stab at why that figure might have come forward.

Aside from the economic and space issues, two years is getting into the 'long-term' side of things where you have to do more than just toss a bunch of macaroni on the shelf and blow the dust off the box before you use it.  Only a few of us whackos have taken the time to figure that out ahead of time.  Those who try to do it on MRE's and Mountain House are going to be a crabby (and constipated) bunch if they manage to make it, and probably among the first anybody who's actually producing food by that time better start watching out for.
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 3:32:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Realistically, unless you live on some acreage, 2 years of food stores is not practical.
We've got maybe a month stored, but I have kids and grandkids in the area.

I'd rather starve myself than them.
I hope I don't get to the point that I'm willing to shoot others for their food.

When it gets that bad, we will need a leader that can save the whole world.

And then Jesus comes back!
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 3:36:10 PM EDT
[#10]

60% of the population will be dead in 30 days if society breaks down to the point of there being no food resupply. Seriously, after about 7-10 days things will get damn interesting.

Majority of population:
Eat what you have on hand and possibly managed to scrounge from store during panic = 2-3 days
Possibly get food from sympathetic neighbor who had a little extra = 1-2 days
Go hungry = 2 days
That’s 7 days……then what?……desperation?

View Quote

Yup, hunker down for a month and then all the questions about available resources and who your friends are and who your friends aren't will definitely be answered.
Rural living is the way to live.
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 3:36:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Two years, and not living on a mountain by yourself, is a death sentence in itself
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 3:46:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By ClayHollisterTT:
Two years?  Even if he is right it won’t help.

If millions are starving, one way or another, you won’t be sitting on two years of food.
View Quote

Pretty much.
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 3:49:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Not a bad warning.  The signs are there though two years to store, keep well, protect is very ambitious.
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 3:57:25 PM EDT
[#14]

View Quote

Agreed.  We have 6 months of hygiene, cleaning supplies, meds, vitamins, food and water stored.  No plans on adding much more.
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 3:58:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By gojoe:

Yup, hunker down for a month and then all the questions about available resources and who your friends are and who your friends aren't will definitely be answered.
View All Quotes

60% of the population will be dead in 30 days if society breaks down to the point of there being no food resupply. Seriously, after about 7-10 days things will get damn interesting.

Majority of population:
Eat what you have on hand and possibly managed to scrounge from store during panic = 2-3 days
Go hungry = 2 days

As much as it pains me to say it, given that I grew up a country boy and now live in the city, this is the truth.  But even so, rural living may not be enough if it's bad enough that you'd need 2 years of supplies.
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 4:01:32 PM EDT
[#16]

Flats of canned goods will slide under beds, stack in the back corners of closets etc. Buy what you eat and rotate it. Buy some of what you don’t normally eat and eat a can occasionally to keep it rotated.
View All Quotes

You don't have a spare bedroom with a closet, or a basement?

Space is usually not the barrier to success.  Cost is.

If there is a will there's a way.  We have over 600 meals in a space that's 3 feet wide by 2 feet deep by 6 feet tall.
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 4:06:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Some wondering where the two years timeframe comes from -

Most famines go for roughly two years.

Link Posted: 5/5/2022 4:10:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Grunteled:
Two years?   The freaking Mad Max thunderdome world you’ll be living in at that point you better have a damned army too.
View Quote

Sounds like FEMA camps
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 4:13:43 PM EDT
[#19]
OH NO IM SO SCARET
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 4:14:08 PM EDT
[#20]
If you need to have a stockpile for 2 years, we’re fucked and there is no way people are not coming to you for food if it got that bad. You can move out of the city but the city will come to you although its a better position to be out of the city cause out in the country will be the last stop.
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 4:17:55 PM EDT
[#21]
"JFC. I was prepped for 2 weeks, now I gotta prep for 2 years?"

Same here. Standard FL hurricane preps for a catastrophic hit but food for TWO F*ing YEARS?!?!?
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 4:20:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By DefenderAO:
Not a bad warning.  The signs are there though two years to store, keep well, protect is very ambitious.
View Quote

If you've got a month's worth you're ahead of probably 90% of the population.  It's amazing how many people live on what they pick up from the store or McD's on the way home from work every day.

All anyone can do is prepare they best they can within their means, and play it by ear if and when anything happens.

Wait till everybody starts talking about how much water to store for two years...  
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 4:20:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Where the heck am I going to put 2 years worth of Cheetos?
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 4:23:52 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By JAD762:
Where the heck am I going to put 2 years worth of Cheetos?
View Quote

You have to crush them to powder, vacuum-seal them in bags, and store in 5gal buckets.

Survival's a bitch.
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 4:29:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By ClayHollisterTT:
Two years?  Even if he is right it won’t help.

If millions are starving, one way or another, you won’t be sitting on two years of food.
View Quote

Facts, this man speaks them.  You guys realize if people are actually starving you won’t be able to hide 2 years worth of food from them. And to the guys who think they’ll just hunt, congrats, so will everyone else around you. Poaching will cull wildlife beyond belief
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 4:37:11 PM EDT
[#26]
Just go cannibal the first day.
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 4:40:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: gojoe] [#27]

As much as it pains me to say it, given that I grew up a country boy and now live in the city, this is the truth.  But even so, rural living may not be enough if it's bad enough that you'd need 2 years of supplies.
View All Quotes

Majority of population:
Go hungry = 2 days

Low profile, no confrontations, just hide away. Let the masses burn themselves up or out. Quietly prepare to start your gardens, do your foraging, and scavenging. Take care of you and yours.
And kindly explain to those who try to interfere that it is best they go elsewhere.
Deal with those who can't take a hint, without mercy.

This is my plan. And I have no intention of being  feral.
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 4:43:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dissident] [#28]
Originally Posted By burf151:
View Quote

I'm not going cannibal, but there may be a possibility I may go Conan....

Conan The Barbarian: What is best in life...?

Anyone with me?
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 4:44:05 PM EDT
[#29]
Hard times ahead.
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 4:48:17 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By Silas:
Hard times ahead.
View Quote

And soon hard men will replace the Nancy boys.
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 5:06:46 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Bacon_Grease:

Indeed 2 years is an insane amount to try and stock up on.  We're talking 2 literal pallets of MREs (per individual).

For guys out there with real disposable income to drop 10-20k on supplies I guess this is an easy thing.

But anyone that well set up is going to become a target only just months into a famine.
View Quote

Not as hard as you might think, it just takes some drive and determination. And, not nearly as much space as you might think.

Way out in the sticks with a few like minded folks. I pity da foo.
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 5:09:33 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Mal_means_bad:
Reporter who was embedded with US troops in Iraq and Afghanistan forever, and has toured other shitholes extensively.  You've seen some of his photos for sure.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/172926/yon_2_jpg-2372887.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/172926/yon1_jpg-2372889.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/172926/yon_3_jpg-2372891.JPG
View Quote
He's ex Special Forces too.
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 5:18:15 PM EDT
[#33]

Majority of population:
Go hungry = 2 days
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By USMC2111:
Originally Posted By burnka871:
If you need to stock 2 years of food we're all fucked anyway

Well, pretty much!  If you have 2 years of food, it better be at a remote (and I don't mean just off the main road, I mean middle of nowhere) location where you'll have no contact with outsiders. After a month of limited food, people will be wondering why you and yours aren't so skinny.....  

Majority of population:
Go hungry = 2 days
Zombie repellent is needed for a reason.
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 5:19:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Speedwinder] [#34]
Lots of different opinions here. I think no one really knows what will happen if there are shortages of food, including me.

But I have prepped to some degree. I know where to obtain water if needed, and how to process water so it is safe to drink. I also have dried beans stored in Kerr jars in sufficient amounts to feed several people for at least 2-years, along with spam and other canned meats and foods. I also have a good supply of paste. Of course I have firearms and ammo. The food gets rotated so it never goes bad.

Added: We also have several pecan trees, two apple trees, and the rural low density neighborhood I live in has many persimmon trees. These would be limited sources of food.

This is about as much as I am prepared.
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 5:20:22 PM EDT
[#35]

Low profile, no confrontations, just hide away. Let the masses burn themselves up or out. Quietly prepare to start your gardens, do your foraging, and scavenging. Take care of you and yours.
And kindly explain to those who try to interfere that it is best they go elsewhere.

View Quote

This will be the way.
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 5:22:26 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By QCMGR:
Originally Posted By Canoeguy: But the problem is we don’t grow all crops everywhere. You want food in Lee County, VA? You better like beef because we don’t grow grain, potatoes, corn, onions, pigs, dairy or anything else on any scale.

Really?

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/1874/DCC4D51E-EED7-478C-98F2-586F636F51CB_jpe-2373112.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/1874/81FD5628-5E71-49A2-B01C-C729DFBFC8B6_jpe-2373114.JPG

Did you even read what you posted?  It literally supports the original statement.  
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 5:26:37 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By AR-10:
I was standing in the grocery store the other day debating whether to pay $8.00 for bacon or wait till it costs $10.00.

We've been doing the stock up thing for 20 years. I think we have food for 6 months and meds are sketchy.
Getting through severely hard times for two years is more than we can do.

People we take in had better have things to contribute.
View Quote

I’m making very tasty bacon and breakfast sausage for right at $2.00 per pound.  There is no way I could stock 2 years of what I need.  But I’m trying to learn self re supply.
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 5:28:58 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By TinSpinner:
I was pretty well stocked pre-covid, I bought a lot of things right after when I could find them. Lately I have been tossing some of the canned goods that went a year past the best buy date, a couple of cans were puffed up so no question those were bad. I need to lay in more dehydrated foods with longer shelf life I suppose.

Who is this guy Yon anyway?
View Quote

I don’t toss anything canned unless it’s puffy.  Looked up in 2019 and had a shit load of canned goods that went out in 2014.  99% was just fine.
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 5:39:27 PM EDT
[#39]

View All Quotes

Majority of population:
Go hungry = 2 days

This is the way!
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 5:52:46 PM EDT
[#40]

If you've got a month's worth you're ahead of probably 90% of the population.  It's amazing how many people live on what they pick up from the store or McD's on the way home from work every day.

All anyone can do is prepare they best they can within their means, and play it by ear if and when anything happens.

Wait till everybody starts talking about how much water to store for two years...  
View Quote

Hahaha!  Had me laughing out loud on the water!  Can you imagine how many 55 gallon drums you would need?  If you wanted to store it all?

That's why the war journalist/photographer was pushing water treatment.  Such a high percentage of people die from drinking or cooking with bad water, and end up shitting themselves to death.  Almost no one in the city thinks of the future need of chemically treating or filtering water, or that the taps will run dry within days if the power is lost or transportation is impeded (which means no chemicals being delivered to water treatment plants).
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 6:10:16 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By Jambalaya:
These fuckers had to wait until I was old and tired to start shit.  They should have done this years ago before I had my first kid.
View Quote

No kidding !

kwg
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 6:14:31 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By Greyswandir:
JFC. I was prepped for 2 weeks, now I gotta prep for 2 years? My wife is gonna hate that I have filled the attic, garage, theater room and the guest room with expired MREs, bags of rice and beans, and little debbie snack cakes
View Quote
This.  No freaking way we can stock up that much needed supplies for our household.  It is not like I have an insulated air conditioned and sealed warehouse where I can store all these supplies.
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 6:18:01 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By kwg020:

No kidding !

kwg
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By kwg020:
Originally Posted By Jambalaya:
These fuckers had to wait until I was old and tired to start shit.  They should have done this years ago before I had my first kid.

No kidding !

kwg

Closer to 60, than I am 50.

Never fuck with an old man, He just might kill you.
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 6:19:20 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By uxo2:
2yrs of supplies

View Quote

You don't have 5 million calories of food stashed away?

Me neither
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 6:22:36 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By burf151:
View Quote

No. go for the  little happy dogs first,   some of them you can get two tacos, maybe three
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 6:24:32 PM EDT
[#46]
OP had us doomed out of existence before the end of 2021 also. Prepperidge Farms remembers
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 6:27:28 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 6:30:21 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By macpherson:
The US has enough farmland to feed the entire country and then some.

Water filters?  LOL yeah let's buy 2 years worth of water filters.  This guy made his living in war zones and his advice works there but not so good elsewhere.
View Quote

So did Ukraine and that didn’t help them during Holodomor and perhaps now getting worse into next year.

General Sherman’s March to the see in CW burnt every barn, house, and crops too.

Link Posted: 5/5/2022 6:34:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: StromBusa] [#49]

Hahaha!  Had me laughing out loud on the water!  Can you imagine how many 55 gallon drums you would need?  If you wanted to store it all?

That's why the war journalist/photographer was pushing water treatment.  Such a high percentage of people die from drinking or cooking with bad water, and end up shitting themselves to death.  Almost no one in the city thinks of the future need of chemically treating or filtering water, or that the taps will run dry within days if the power is lost or transportation is impeded (which means no chemicals being delivered to water treatment plants).

Springhouse is a comfort

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 6:35:54 PM EDT
[#50]

View All Quotes

Water treatment is one of the things I have been stacking deep.  Especially ways to purify water that don't require manual intervention.
Page / 257
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top