BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 219
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 10:18:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By chupacabras:
I wonder if a good chunk of “remote” workers who moved away and bought at inflated prices will be cut loose/outsourced.
View Quote

Those workers likely bought with cash.  Every person that I know that relocated to a cheaper area was a cash buyer for the last 5 years.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 10:18:43 PM EDT
[#2]
We’re planning to buy in about two years. Maybe the market will tank enough to just pay cash.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 10:20:34 PM EDT
[#3]
This could also impact car prices. I just heard someone today talking about a 7 year 0% car loan. Those will be gone if rates go up. Less buyers who can afford said car means the prices should come down.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 10:23:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By OregonShooter:

Those workers likely bought with cash.  Every person that I know that relocated to a cheaper area was a cash buyer for the last 5 years.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By OregonShooter:
I wonder if a good chunk of “remote” workers who moved away and bought at inflated prices will be cut loose/outsourced.

Yeah, and how many of them pulled the cash back out to furnish the new place, buy a new car and other toys, or just piss it away?
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 10:25:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By _200mph:

IMO, it started with the left-tards in government mandating that banks make loans to people who shouldn’t qualify for loans.
That turned in banks finding ways to offload risk.
Once they found ways to offload risk, the party started.

This time is different, but still seeming concerning. everyone just refinanced. If homes drop in price by 25%, what percentage of people will be underwater?

Of the people underwater, what percentage just walk, leaving the banks with the loss?

Then when a bank fails and we have Kamala running the country, will she bail out ‘evil wallstreet’? If not, it’s a Great Depression.

Then again I’m just fucking around, I have no idea what’s going to happen.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By _200mph:
Originally Posted By Off-the-Grid:

That was an entirely different scenario and mostly due to no doc loans.

IMO, it started with the left-tards in government mandating that banks make loans to people who shouldn’t qualify for loans.
That turned in banks finding ways to offload risk.
Once they found ways to offload risk, the party started.

This time is different, but still seeming concerning. everyone just refinanced. If homes drop in price by 25%, what percentage of people will be underwater?

Of the people underwater, what percentage just walk, leaving the banks with the loss?

Then when a bank fails and we have Kamala running the country, will she bail out ‘evil wallstreet’? If not, it’s a Great Depression.

Then again I’m just fucking around, I have no idea what’s going to happen.

That cock sucker Barney Frank definitely had a hand in the crisis. If we are headed for a recession, which looks likely, I can see people walking away.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 10:25:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: spidey07] [#6]
Just in time for spring buying season.

Demand will only get stronger because of this, which means higher home prices.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 10:26:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Morgan321:
I’m looking for land in the country, been watching the market for a while….  Around here Everything sold at light speed during Covid for asking or slightly above up until a couple months ago.  Over the holidays land started remaining on the market for longer and has now started to sell below the crazy asking prices.  I didn’t even know rates had risen this year before the fed announcement, but it makes sense.  

I’m sitting on my hands for now, it feels like prices are leveling off and might even decline a bit.  I hope it’s the right decision!
View Quote

Keep waiting and build up some cash...soon enough it will be time to buy.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 10:26:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Most of the homes being sold are to flippers or investment firms, and they're paying cash.  If anything... raising mortgage rates seems like it will hurt the average buyer, without affecting the people really driving up the market...
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 10:28:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By spidey07:

View Quote

I think there will be a push the next couple of months by the people who have been on the fence.

With more potential interest rate rises, I could see a couple of busy months before it slows down.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 10:30:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By GlutealCleft:
Most of the homes being sold are to flippers or investment firms, and they're paying cash.  If anything... raising mortgage rates seems like it will hurt the average buyer, without affecting the people really driving up the market...
View Quote

If you can't sell for what you paid for it, being a flipper or investment firm that can't cover it's debt isn't the place you want to be. Getting over leveraged by holding property that is being devalued and can't be sold because interest rates are high makes CEO's wet their pants and make a call to their bought politicians for a bail out.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 10:30:59 PM EDT
[#11]
My gut feeling said 2023 would be a decent time to buy more RE.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 10:32:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By ContrarianIndicator:
If they've been diligently building up a down payment, they might catch a break soon enough. Higher rates rewards savers and screws debtors when the home prices adjust back down to reflect the true state of demand absent of the cheap credit.
View Quote

I might be selling mine, owned outright, and buying another in the upcoming few months.  Anyone financing with 0% down?
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 10:35:11 PM EDT
[#13]
1. we have an inventory problem

2. rates cannot raise beyond a certain point or .gov cannot service the debt and then it's boogaloo time

there is no way rates are going back to the Carter years. the debt is unserviceable.  things may cool or level off in a year, but there will be no meteoric crash. I'm an idiot so take it as you will.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 10:37:49 PM EDT
[#14]
I paid mine off in January.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 10:40:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By MilHouse-556:
Damn. That sucks.
If the market doesn't cool and people keep throwing money at homes it's going to make buying a home for first time buyers impossible.
View Quote

Been trying to buy 3rd home (not like 3 at once, just third in succession, this will be last home i ever buy) and can't find anything that is under $500k after bidding wars. And these aren't stellar houses. For the amount we can spend now, we could have gotten a dream home 2 years ago.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 10:41:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By DTFD714:
I paid mine off in January.
View Quote

I cash out refi at 3%, 30 late summer 2020 @ 3%

Link Posted: 3/22/2022 10:42:00 PM EDT
[#17]
So very true

A large portion of remote tech workers who have left places like SFO to bid up prices in other regions work for dogshit perpetually unprofitable zombie companies that are ripe for a good kabooom when their cheap credit life support runs dry

That'll be a sight to behold
View Quote

In tech, can confirm most are just shit. Surprised so many exist in the first place. Partly why I moved to another that I feel is truly recession proof last Dec. Without free money most may topple. So many are just absolutely worthless products only surviving on LinkedIn hype.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 10:45:01 PM EDT
[#18]
My folks bought a lot nearby us and are planning to build. This is central Wisconsin, in a town of 5000.

Drafted plans, elevations etc for a 2200 sqft custom home, pricing came in today from the builder.

$305/sqft

Yikes!
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 10:46:58 PM EDT
[#19]
I am sitting in a pretty good spot with my house.    Even if the bubble pops.

I bought for under appraisal in 2017 and refinanced into a low rate.   We plan on being in the house for another 10 years, and it should be paid off by then.  

If the local bubble pops, I can finally buy land and sit on it until I am ready to build.    Currently 5 acre lots are going for 200k.   Which is double from 5 years ago.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 10:48:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By jacobsk:
My folks bought a lot nearby us and are planning to build. This is central Wisconsin, in a town of 5000.

Drafted plans, elevations etc for a 2200 sqft custom home, pricing came in today from the builder.

$305/sqft

Yikes!
View Quote

This is why home prices won’t go down anytime soon.

There are supply constraints at all levels in addition to labor constraints.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 10:49:06 PM EDT
[#21]

View Quote

Article I read today mentioned demand was already cooling some compared to last year.  T​hey predicted a 25% decline in demand by spring/ beginning of summer.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 10:49:41 PM EDT
[#22]
View Quote

Major N. Atlanta suburbs are at no more than 15% cash buyers YTD
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 10:58:09 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Hunter8793:
Houses are selling for $150+/ sq ft

New custom homes are $190+/ sq ft

How are home prices going to go down if the cost to build is going up?

View Quote

Be thankful.  Reno is more than triple that, at least for the resale market.  Maybe double for the new builds.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 11:19:41 PM EDT
[#24]
If it continues that way it tells me I'm going to be in my house a little longer.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 11:21:16 PM EDT
[#25]
That's still not insane.  

People have been spoiled for a long time.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 11:21:25 PM EDT
[#26]
View Quote

Nobody likes negative equity. Those investors are betting on the rental market which is about $1.00 per sq ft right now.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 11:30:47 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Numenor:
I am so glad the wife and I got ours at 3.125% in December.  Add the base price of our house (from Mar '21 to now) has gone from $231k to $310k.

We are fortunate.
View Quote
No joke. We locked at 3.00% a little over a year ago and our house is worth double what we paid to build it.  The temptation to sell and cash out is high. If it wasn't for the school district and family land we live on, we would probably already be gone.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 11:39:33 PM EDT
[#28]
I sold my house in 2021, I got $122k profit sitting in escrow because my ex wife is saying she gets 50% but I offered what the State will give me.  I have  to go to court to get those funds.  

I took A new job and I am renting for the next 12 months because I think things will come down and at the min according to my lawyer I will get $85k to reinvest in a property.  

Maybe I will be able to but not at the height of the market like the last three houses I bought.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 11:43:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MilHouse-556] [#29]
Originally Posted By jacobsk:

$305/sqft

Yikes!
View Quote

My used home built in 91 on .5 acres in the city is at $282 sq/ft now.

I've repaired/upgraded all kinds of things since we moved in last summer (spent a total of $8k in 6 months), the entire inside needs new paint, all the floors need to be redone,  half the outside needs new paint and  it will need a new roof in 5-10 years.

It was listed for $550k, we bought it for $581k and it is now saying it's worth $623k 8 months later.

Locked in rate at 3% fixed.
Bonkers how quickly homes are increasing in price.

We refinance our rental property at 2.75% last year also.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 11:43:07 PM EDT
[#30]
You guys play this right, it will be gravy.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 11:47:33 PM EDT
[#31]
I remember mortgage rates being in the 7.5%-9% range in the late 90s and early 2000s. I believe my first house was around 8% and I remember it being pretty good then.  Houses still sold briskly then and we're half a world away from those numbers. We'll see though. People are used to having it easy and getting easy money. They may not respond well to relatively 'cheap' 6% mortgage rates.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 11:50:23 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By DVCER:

Really, dumb luck for me.  I hate to see young people struggling, but if my college drop out ass can figure out how to get from electrician to here, and retired early, anyone can.   I’m on my (hopefully) forever place, a couple acres with a National monument on my back fence.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/857/B2799CCD-5F85-4DB1-BEAB-D309E4C744CF_jpe-2322893.JPG
View Quote

I have elderly parents I have to take care of, otherwise I'd be out in the boonies too.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 11:55:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CoconutLaCroix] [#33]
If only you knew how bad things really are
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/23/2022 12:16:52 AM EDT
[#34]

View Quote
Rising rates means stronger demand? Sir, are you drunk?
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 12:18:49 AM EDT
[#35]
Rising rates means stronger demand? Sir, are you drunk?
View Quote

I think he is saying that the high costs to build will keep supply below demand, which may keep prices high.

Link Posted: 3/23/2022 12:19:51 AM EDT
[#36]

We know it. Just not much you can really do except be as well prepared as you believe you can and then go all out Lt. Dan as the shit show unfolds...
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 12:31:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: CoconutLaCroix] [#37]
Originally Posted By Low_Country:

I think he is saying that the high costs to build will keep supply below demand, which may keep prices high.

View Quote
The ratio of housing units to population is more favorable than it was when home prices bottomed out after the previous bubble. The fact that we still have all this glut building that's going to come online right as higher mortgage rates price people out doesn't really buttress that position imo.

There isn't a shortage of homes, there was a surplus of cheap credit thanks to Fed MBS purchases to suppress rates.

If Biden declared that gas will be $1.00 a gallon tomorrow, we'd have fuel shortages at every gas station. Same principle when the Fed manipulates mortgage rates below the true market rate
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 12:36:15 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By bakkbakk:

why are we applauding having to pay banks more instead of homeowners? We are in a housing supply shortage regardless of rates. This just fucks homeowners.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By bakkbakk:
If they've been diligently building up a down payment, they might catch a break soon enough. Higher rates rewards savers and screws debtors when the home prices adjust back down to reflect the true state of demand absent of the cheap credit.

why are we applauding having to pay banks more instead of homeowners? We are in a housing supply shortage regardless of rates. This just fucks homeowners.

Time to expand your understanding of interest rates and the winners and losers in a declining interest rate environment.

Low rates are bad for most people.

Link Posted: 3/23/2022 12:58:05 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By DVCER:

Really, dumb luck for me.  I hate to see young people struggling, but if my college drop out ass can figure out how to get from electrician to here, and retired early, anyone can.   I’m on my (hopefully) forever place, a couple acres with a National monument on my back fence.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/857/B2799CCD-5F85-4DB1-BEAB-D309E4C744CF_jpe-2322893.JPG
View Quote

Awesome, plumber here, with multiple properties in multiple states with 1000's of acres, rivers and lakes
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 12:59:23 AM EDT
[#40]
Good
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 1:28:28 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By bigt61:
Good.  Enough with this $500,000 starter home crap.  

Bring back the $50-100k starter homes

View Quote

They're still out there. They just aren't 4BD, 3BA, 3200 sf with a 3 car garage.
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 1:32:51 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By MisterPX:

They're still out there. They just aren't 4BD, 3BA, 3200 sf with a 3 car garage.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By MisterPX:
Originally Posted By bigt61:
Good.  Enough with this $500,000 starter home crap.  

Bring back the $50-100k starter homes

If you are lucky, they are 550sf and you will hear gunshots and sirens every night
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 1:37:48 AM EDT
[#43]
It simply pushes even more home sales to Blackrock. You'll own nothing and like it
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 1:51:02 AM EDT
[#44]
So, if you own the house and decide to sell, and carry the mortgage at 5%, x% down. Could I travel and fish on the income? That's the question.
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 6:16:51 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By MyAliyah:
So, if you own the house and decide to sell, and carry the mortgage at 5%, x% down. Could I travel and fish on the income? That's the question.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 6:47:56 AM EDT
[#46]
You could actually wind up winning if you've been saving  
View Quote

So… on the premise that house prices are cut in half…and rates double….and that you’re 80k that’s remarkable devalued…doesn’t weaken further… despite the largest housing inventory shortage in 100 years, and record inflation…..you could be winning?

Username checks out
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 6:51:45 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By InHocSigno:
All the FED will have to do is say “ Maybe we will not raise rates six times, two will be enough for now”.
View Quote

The FEDs influence on mortgage rates is implied through its purchase of mortgage bonds….not The prime rate—- that impacts more consumer debt
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 6:53:12 AM EDT
[#48]

View Quote

Idk why we don’t hang out more
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 7:03:31 AM EDT
[#49]
Glad i got my 3.125% in September last year
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 7:24:56 AM EDT
[#50]
View Quote

100%

Look at Better.com.

WFH means someone cheaper from somewhere else is about to replace you.
Page / 219
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top