User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 219
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 2:15:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By OregonShooter:

I know people that sold three years ago that are still renting waiting for the crash.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By OregonShooter:
Originally Posted By exponentialpi:

This time is different.

I know people that sold three years ago that are still renting waiting for the crash.

They made peace with the fact about how much buying power they've lost yet? Like 20-25% lost? That sounds like misery and a 6 digit eff up while paying someone else several thousand a month... that's totally nuts.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 3:19:09 AM EDT
[#2]
It seems like a sellers market in my area. Just sold mine quick for over asking.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 1:34:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By JEL:

Or maybe the dollar has lost that much more value and doomers were right all along, in a way

The way they’re printing it seems more likely
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By JEL:
Originally Posted By anothermisanthrope:
Man the doomers just can't catch a break - this morning's CSI report:

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/us-home-price-growth-picks-130000757.html

Or maybe the dollar has lost that much more value and doomers were right all along, in a way

The way they’re printing it seems more likely

Typically you buy hard assets to protect yourself from currency devaluation.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:20:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Supply and demand.

Link Posted: 3/30/2024 11:55:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: planemaker] [#5]
Not sure how this figures into the mix:

https://www.zerohedge.com/personal-finance/pending-home-sales-hover-near-record-lows-february

So, if home sales are down and inventory is coming up (finally), then wouldn't one think that the prices for those homes would have to come down?

ETA: Also saw this: home flipping down I'm not sure exactly how they define a home "flipper".
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 11:58:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By planemaker:

https://www.zerohedge.com/personal-finance/pending-home-sales-hover-near-record-lows-february

So, if home sales are down and inventory is coming up (finally), then wouldn't one think that the prices for those homes would have to come down?
View Quote

Yes
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 8:54:16 AM EDT
[#7]

ETA: Also saw this: home flipping down I'm not sure exactly how they define a home "flipper".
View Quote

From the context of the article, they are defining a flipper as a corporation that buys houses, throws about $50,000 at them to "bring them up to date," then puts them back on the market at a $150,000 markup.
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 8:58:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Kitulu:

From the context of the article, they are defining a flipper as a corporation that buys houses, throws about $50,000 at them to "bring them up to date," then puts them back on the market at a $150,000 markup.
View All Quotes

Y u hate Capitalism, brah?
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 12:01:40 PM EDT
[#9]

View Quote

That's pretty damn accurate.

It's gonna involve lvp or fake wood flooring, grayish blue paint interior and exterior, maybe some new appliances and maybe counter tops. They just increased the price $150k.

Flippers used to be taking beat to crap junky houses using cash/hard money to make it a decent home and someone could then get a loan to buy it.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 7:10:08 AM EDT
[#10]
Home prices grew at a record pace in January, as more buyers came off the sidelines. And that fierce competition has led to an eruption of bidding wars, which often drives prices even higher.

National Association of Realtors (NAR) data shows that during the first month of the year, the typical seller received 2.7 offers, and 16% of homes sold over the asking price.

An important contributor to all of this is an inventory crunch. In 2023, existing home sales hit the lowest level since 2005, as would-be sellers who are locked into low mortgage rates stayed put.

"There is such a shortage of houses right now, so prices have gone up despite everybody singing the blues," Corcoran said. "It happened simply because there are a lot of buyers and not enough houses available."
View Quote

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/real-estate-mogul-barbara-corcoran-predicts-interest-rate-cut-could-create-a-surge-in-home-prices-153050003.html
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 7:18:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: OregonShooter] [#11]
New month. 30 year mortgage holding at 7% average rate and another month goes by without a market crash.

Home prices nationwide, including distressed sales, increased year over year by 5.5% in February 2024 compared with February 2023. On a month-over-month basis, home prices grew by 0.7% in February 2024 compared with January 2024 (revisions with public records data are standard, and to ensure accuracy, CoreLogic incorporates the newly released public data to provide updated results).

Forecast Prices Nationally

The CoreLogic HPI Forecast indicates that home prices will rise by 0.4% from February 2024 to March 2024 and increase by 3.1% on a year-over-year basis from February 2024 to February 2025.
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 3:28:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: exponentialpi] [#12]
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 3:05:08 PM EDT
[#13]

Link Posted: 4/17/2024 3:08:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By wookie1562:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GLV87ChWUAEHIep?format=jpg&name=small
View Quote

Good.  Supply and demand is the only natural thing that will bring prices back down to a natural long term 3-5% inflation curve.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 3:13:05 PM EDT
[#15]

View Quote

Investors starting to bail.

And hopefully yankees going home.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 4:36:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Rates back at August 2023 levels
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 4:56:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Brok3n] [#17]
Originally Posted By broken_reticle:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By broken_reticle:

Hurricane insurance playing a factor too?

What is up with Nevada? CA exodus?

eta:

https://knpr.org/show/knprs-state-of-nevada/2024-04-16/whats-the-state-of-southern-nevadas-housing-market

High home prices persist in Nevada, and nobody thinks they're coming down.

Jonathan Gedde, founder and CEO of Simpli Mortgage and Jerry Abbott, a real estate agent with Summit Properties, joined State of Nevada host Joe Schoenmann to talk about the topsy-turvy world of Nevada real estate.

Home prices are still increasing, with the median this month at around $466,000. To afford that, household incomes need to be $111,000 or more. At the same time, Gedde said mortgage rates are at about 7.5 percent. That also represents an increase.

Even so, Abbott said that hasn't stopped "droves" of Californians from coming here and buying homes.

"Las Vegas is California 2.0," said Abbott. "They are without a doubt the biggest driver as to why home prices in Las Vegas have skyrocketed. When you have so many wealthy people who can pay cash, it really destroys the ability for the average person to buy a home."

Link Posted: 4/17/2024 6:47:21 PM EDT
[#18]
anecdotal data point....but just sold my place west side of wa state in metro area.  lots of interest and showings.  6 offers in a week.  closed for 20% over asking price...gotta love those escalator clauses.  we strategically priced it to garner more interest so that accounts for some of why it went for that much over asking.  it was a pretty unique place that was only going to appeal to a smaller subset of buyers.  but people are still buying at these rate and price levels.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 8:16:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By ClownTown:
anecdotal data point....but just sold my place west side of wa state in metro area.  lots of interest and showings.  6 offers in a week.  closed for 20% over asking price...gotta love those escalator clauses.  we strategically priced it to garner more interest so that accounts for some of why it went for that much over asking.  it was a pretty unique place that was only going to appeal to a smaller subset of buyers.  but people are still buying at these rate and price levels.
View Quote

Yes, there will always be buyers for desirable areas
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 8:26:19 PM EDT
[#20]

View Quote

I posted in the other thread. The STR bubble is starting to be stressed.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 9:43:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By ClownTown:
View Quote

User name checks out. User also knows why people use agents to list.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 1:49:40 AM EDT
[#22]

View Quote

“I know what I got.”
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 4:01:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: The_Master_Shake] [#23]
Nevermind!
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 6:17:55 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By 80085:

“I know what I got.”
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 80085:

“I know what I got.”

Interest rates killed some of the profit unless you're dealing in cash.

The rise in housing prices means that, for a lot of middle class people, flipping using cash is far harder then it used to be.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 6:25:09 AM EDT
[#25]
I closely followed 4 sales in the last two months in my AO.  Three in the low 2M market went immediately and over ask.  Fourth started at 3.5 and took a year to get 2.8

Crazy.  

Low inventory seems to be offsetting the higher rates.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 12:41:52 PM EDT
[#26]
Mixed bag

If I read this article correctly, sales are down (some significantly) for all but the most expensive houses (>$1mil). Median home prices went up 4.8% YoY, probably owing to high dollar houses selling and moderate priced homes not. Under 5% price increase isn't even covering inflation. They also have a plot showing median new home sale prices going down and median existing home sale prices going up some. My guess is the market is lagging demand some. By that, existing expensive homes still have some demand (too much money chasing too few goods or more money than sense, whichever) but builders aren't building to that, they're building more "affordable" homes. Can't say I blame them there since with rates higher, they can ill afford to be on the hook for $1mil+ houses until they sell.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 12:17:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: rfoxtrot] [#27]
Shits selling red hot here with selling season kicking off. Shit went up again this year. About $20-30ft from what I'm seeing. This was a top 10 market in 2022-2023

Bottom is 225$ now. Lots in the $260 a foot range. lol..... Crash any day now.....lol. Yeah fucking right.

Too many folks are doing their level fucking best to leave their blue states behind. $350 a foot before the end of the fucking decade at this dam rate....

All kinds of pending a from a 5 minute look at Zillow
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 12:22:47 AM EDT
[#28]

View Quote

Excellent News!   Thanks for posting it.
Page / 219
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top