Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/23/2001 9:17:18 PM EDT
I have a friend who's going to be moving across the country with all his stuff, and that includes 8-10 guns of various kinds.

He's going to be driving, and obviously is going to cross many different state lines.

Are there any special precautions, legally, that he will need to be aware of? How can he do this without running in to any trouble with the various state law enforcement along the way?

Any tips would be really helpful. Any sources of information would be helpful too. Thanks everyone.
Link Posted: 5/23/2001 9:23:38 PM EDT
[#1]
There should be no problem with him moving his weapon across state.
As long as the guns are not reachable etc.. glove box. Or the gun is loaded and is within Reach while driving.
It's ok if it's disassembled state kept in the trunk or the back of the u-haul or whatever.

And if he happened to get stopped by the cops, have proper id.  license,gun owner's card, etc..
Link Posted: 5/23/2001 10:03:47 PM EDT
[#2]
What's a gun owners card?

If all the guns are unloaded, and locked in cases, is that good enough?
Link Posted: 5/23/2001 11:09:35 PM EDT
[#3]
One of the few things the Feds have done right for gun owners is to pass a law EXEMPTING travelers from the firearms laws of the areas they pass through.

If he is doing all the actions CONSISTENT with being a traveler--i.e. traveling on roadways, staying overnight in a motel, etc.  The guns are stored inaccessably (trunk, locked up, unloaded, etc.), he is legal provided the guns are legal where he is coming from and going to.  If he decides to stop along the way, go to a movie, visit relatives, sightsee, etc. he then looses that protection while he is there--so he must then follow any local regulations.

That is why you can drive through very anti-gun areas without any legal problems.  Some LEO's don't realize the protections, and have been known to on occasion cause problems.  Best answer if he is stopped, and asked "do you have any guns" is to ask the officer POLITELY "why are you asking me that question?".  

Link Posted: 5/24/2001 1:24:31 AM EDT
[#4]
I recently did this myself a couple of months ago.  What has been said here is correct.  The guns should be in lockable (not nessecarily locked) cases in the trunk and unloaded.  Disassebly is NOT required.  The federal law states that if the firearms are legal at your starting point and destination, they can be carried in this manner as long as your only stops are for fuel (both for you and your vehicle) and rest.  This isn't just for moving - it works for vacations as well.
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 3:12:21 AM EDT
[#5]
I remember a thread on this before...

It IS Federal Law....Legal start & Finish = Legal to transport....

Link Posted: 5/24/2001 4:17:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Beware of NJ:

- "assault weapons" on their list.

- magazines w/ capacity >15 rds.

- hollow point ammo.  (the law actually permits the possession of hp but most leo are not well versed with the details)

--------------------------------------------
But it IS ok to possess crack or heroin and it would also be ok to commit any violent crimes that you may feel to be in order.

PRNJ SUCKS!  
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 4:24:19 AM EDT
[#7]
You can mail the guns to yourself.  I have done this several times.  Never a problem.
Bill
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 4:53:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Load 'em up - move 'em out.

But as was said, in the vehicle, unloaded, preferrably in the trunk and out of reach, and if at all possible, dissasembled as much as reasonably possible (upper separated from lower, bolt removed from bolt action, maybe even some sort of trigger / action lock in place)

Link Posted: 5/24/2001 5:00:28 AM EDT
[#9]
[b]garandman[/b]

I thought you never owned any guns. [:)]
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 5:10:27 AM EDT
[#10]
A Garand taint no gun. It`s a rifle.
M4-----You sure do have alot of friends that need advice---------------[:)]
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 5:25:07 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
[b]garandman[/b]

I thought you never owned any guns. [:)]
View Quote

Correct. I own NO field artillery, or naval 16" turrets.

Yet.

[}:D]

Link Posted: 5/24/2001 6:37:03 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
A Garand taint no gun. It`s a rifle.
M4-----You sure do have alot of friends that need advice---------------[:)]
View Quote

It's the same guy from the previous thread.
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 7:15:57 AM EDT
[#13]
Bolt has it right--try the "Volkmer-McClure Firearms Owners Protection Act.

New Jersey's laws don't matter unless it is your origin or final destination.

However, local LEO's don't always know that you are exempt from their laws if you are traveling through--A good lawyer would get you off if arrested with no problem, but knowing how hard it would be to get your guns back afterwards would be a pain.  So, just travel carefully (the extra 20,30,40 minutes you save by speeding isn't worth the possible hassle of getting stopped).

AFARR
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top