Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 119
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 12:55:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By BillyJack:

Yeah, been a long road. I had the rebuild done for me. No way I could tackle that on my own. It's going in a 76 911 Targa wide body. I actually drove this car to prom back in 1989.
View Quote

That's awesome that the car's been around you that long.

I purchased mine about 8 years ago before the market went nuts. I couldn't justify the current prices air cooled cars are fetching.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 12:57:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By MATTINFAIRBORN:
Here is a scan of an aged Instamatic 110 print of the first new Porsche I bought.  1974 914 2.0.  I was 21, single, and had a good job.  I think it was about $6400.00 but maybe was a couple hundred more - I forget.https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/312702/914-_1974001_jpg-1889244.JPG

PS - also the only Porsche I ever owned.  
View Quote

914's are actually my favorite air cooled P cars, and I've had a few teeners. They actually handle much better than the 911's, but now they've gotten popular and aren't cheap any longer.

I'm looking for a 914 2.0 4cyl right now to add to the collection.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 1:00:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By RV8guy:
My father sent me this pic. Where could you go camping in a Porsche? REI parking lot?
https://i.imgur.com/O4x2uiH.jpg
View Quote

That car is sweet, and I usually don't like aftermarket wide body cars.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 1:06:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 1:06:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Mblades:

Same for me. Backdating the exhaust was by far the best bang for the buck upgrade I’ve done. It completely transformed the car.

Here’s a video I made trying to convince a buddy to do the same thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsugpTciv5A
View Quote

That sounds awesome, I've been trying to figure out what exhaust to go with on my SC.

It's hard to justify the prices on some of them out there, but if mine sounded as good as yours I wouldn't have any trouble sleeping.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 2:03:02 AM EDT
[#6]
2015 c2 stripper.  Coming up on 70k miles.  Mahogany Metallic.  

Link Posted: 4/2/2021 2:10:06 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm too poor for this thread but dreaming and drooling over the pictures is free though.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 4:12:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Fantomas:

WOW

your Car sounds incredible

amazing
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Fantomas:

WOW

your Car sounds incredible

amazing

Thanks. It sounds way faster than it is. Hard not to act like a total piece of shit in every tunnel.

Originally Posted By zukguy:

That sounds awesome, I've been trying to figure out what exhaust to go with on my SC.

It's hard to justify the prices on some of them out there, but if mine sounded as good as yours I wouldn't have any trouble sleeping.

Yeah, the Porsche tax is real. I scoured the classified for a long time and found the SSI heat exchangers and muffler barely used for about $1800, with the new oil lines, gaskets and little stuff I think it was right at $2000(I’d have to consult the spreadsheet but I try not to look at what I’ve spent too often ). Aside from spending 4th of July weekend on my back in a hot garage the install was pretty painless and straightforward.

My only regret is not doing it sooner.  It’s loud without being obnoxious, the car runs cooler, and it saved about 35lbs. No idea how much the power actually increased(probably only a few hp) but it feels like 50 and sounds like 100. The only downside was the price.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 4:40:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: RX-78-2] [#9]
I swear I was going to open a Porsche thread today without even knowing this one existed.

Anyway...

You guys are lucky, you have already chosen yours

I’ve been thinking about buying a Porsche for a long time. I’m still new to the this world and still learning all about it, so here’s a question for you Bros:

Would you rather pick a GT4 or a 911 GTS for about the same price, and why?

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 6:36:18 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By RX-78-2:
I swear I was going to open a Porsche thread today without even knowing this one existed.

Anyway...

I’ve been thinking about buying a Porsche for a long time. I’m still new to the this world and still learning all about it, so here’s a question for you Bros:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/470995/E38E091C-B436-4CF5-9725-24A6FA3EA17D_jpe-1889628.JPGhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/470995/C86388E5-A9DC-4F56-9099-F693CC8D10FC_jpe-1889629.JPG
View Quote

Tough question. Both are fantastic cars, I think it really depends on what you want to do with the car, etc.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 7:01:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BFskinner] [#11]
I will play.  Certainly not as impressive performance-wise as most of the cars posted but I am happy with the old girl.

Before

Attachment Attached File

After

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 7:45:34 AM EDT
[#12]

Anyway...

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/470995/E38E091C-B436-4CF5-9725-24A6FA3EA17D_jpe-1889628.JPGhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/470995/C86388E5-A9DC-4F56-9099-F693CC8D10FC_jpe-1889629.JPG
View Quote

GTS for me.

The GT4 is a great sports car, I just love the 911. Especially the not so obvious things, as in I love the rear engine design which needs twice the amount of quarts than the car has cylinders combined with the fact the you'll see guys going to the grocery store or home depot with it. It's not because the 911 is an inherently practical car, it just shows me that for decades and decades guys have bought one and then just end up driving it everywhere because they love to drive it. I've seen a bunch of high mileage 911s over the years. I'm sure they were tracked a day or two where obviously It's perfectly at home but normally guys just drive the damn car.

I think that's what makes the 911 really special. It's usually not someone's "I will take my Z06 out this weekend" it's the car you buy groceries with Friday and then take to the track Saturday, then commute to work in on Monday. I was talking with DJ in another thread and we both agreed get a manual.

PDK is better on the track, but you won't be on the track every day so don't rob yourself the ability to run out second gear and push that thing into third, or lazily turning off a boring main road into one of your favorite roads, lazily down shifting into second at your leisure.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 8:59:24 AM EDT
[#13]
From the dank memes thread.  Seems pretty much spot on.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/2/2021 9:16:36 AM EDT
[#14]

Same for me. Backdating the exhaust was by far the best bang for the buck upgrade I’ve done. It completely transformed the car.

View Quote

That's me - SSI's and a first generation M&K 2 into 1. That muffler is just a bit on the loud side cruising around but it howls when you let the engine rev.

I don't know why my first photo post didn't show up - I think it's there now.

SCWDP! ( The Super Carrera World Domination Plot)

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/2/2021 10:03:55 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 10:05:42 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 10:10:26 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By zukguy:

I meant Cayman, I don't know anything about the Cayenne. The Cayman is a sweet car.
View Quote

I tested one, it was like zipping myself into the car.   Super fast and fun to drive but impractical for my life.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 10:14:12 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Lost-Drive-In:

That's me - SSI's and a first generation M&K 2 into 1. That muffler is just a bit on the loud side cruising around but it howls when you let the engine rev.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/28281/KIMG0491_JPG-1889750.JPG

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Lost-Drive-In:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/28281/KIMG0491_JPG-1889750.JPG

That’s a a great color!

I originally wanted a 2 in 2 out muffler for the cool factor and actually had a Dansk that I found a deal on already when I came across the SSI’s and M&K package for sale. The light weight of the M&K is what made me decide to go that direction(the build quality seemed superior too). I’m glad I didn’t go with the 2 out muffler, I feel like the 2-1 is just right. It’s civil enough below 3000rpm and screams above 5000.

The only time it’s too loud is when I have to leave early in the morning, my kids room is above the garage and it’s rowdy on the cold start. So I have to push it out into the driveway before I start it.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 10:16:41 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By D_J:

This.  Daily driver, weekend fun car, no track time?  GTS.

I'd only take the GT4 if I was going to hit the track every few months.
View Quote
As a 981 GT4 owner, I'd concur with this for the most part. It kinda depends what you want to do and what you're looking for. The GT4 is a great weekend track and curvy road car, the mid-engine balance is superb. Plus, the car weighs next to nothing. Its the long distance drive bells and whistles that you'll miss when you take the wife on a multi-hour vacation trip. No steering wheel controls, engine is loud(and right behind you!), no apps, seats do not recline, etc. etc. The GT4 is made to carve up roads and little else. The GTS will give you the creature comforts for Grand Tour driving as well as great performance. Its just a little more civilized.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 12:18:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 12:21:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RX-78-2] [#21]
Originally Posted By NorthBridge:

Tough question. Both are fantastic cars, I think it really depends on what you want to do with the car, etc.
View Quote

Originally Posted By WhiskersTheCat:

GTS for me.
View Quote

View Quote

It would be mainly weekends, nice season driving only. I’m very OCD so I won’t be taking the car out if conditions outside are not good. I live in the south and while the weather is nicer than the rest of the country, in winter time they start spreading salt as soon as we drop below 41F

So, no daily driving for me, at least not for 5 months of the year. I might want to track the car once or twice, but that’s about it.

Honestly, I envy people who can just go out and enjoy their cars. I’m not able to do that. I won’t be driving mine before having it entirely paint corrected, PPFed and ceramic coated
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 12:21:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RX-78-2] [#22]
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 12:32:33 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 1:11:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 1:12:45 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 1:54:10 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By TheOx05:
As a 981 GT4 owner, I'd concur with this for the most part. It kinda depends what you want to do and what you're looking for. The GT4 is a great weekend track and curvy road car, the mid-engine balance is superb. Plus, the car weighs next to nothing. Its the long distance drive bells and whistles that you'll miss when you take the wife on a multi-hour vacation trip. No steering wheel controls, engine is loud(and right behind you!), no apps, seats do not recline, etc. etc. The GT4 is made to carve up roads and little else. The GTS will give you the creature comforts for Grand Tour driving as well as great performance. Its just a little more civilized.
View All Quotes

When I was looking for a Cayman I settled on the GTS model (at least in the 718) because that got you the best of both worlds...power as well as comfort, GT4 was much more track focused.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 1:56:00 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By NukeThemTillTheyGlow:
When I was looking for a Cayman I settled on the GTS model (at least in the 718) because that got you the best of both worlds...power as well as comfort, GT4 was much more track focused.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By NukeThemTillTheyGlow:

GTS is definitely a sweet spot for all the models.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 2:08:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MadMonkey] [#28]
I've been lusting after an early Cayman for a while. Would an older one make a decent daily driver or are they maintenance intensive? Is a Boxster better or worse? (ETA: Not that worried about performance, I just enjoy lightweight sports cars and don't have a problem working for speed )

I doubt I'd be tracking it, I'd probably get a Miata for that.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 3:03:04 PM EDT
[#29]

Anyway...

View Quote

personally I would pick the 911 GTS

especially in that color
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 3:04:17 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By BFskinner:
I will play.  Certainly not as impressive performance-wise as most of the cars posted but I am happy with the old girl.

Before

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/502236/IMG_0349_jpeg-1889656.JPG

After

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/502236/IMG_4897_jpeg-1889655.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/502236/IMG_4896_2_jpeg-1889657.JPG
View Quote

that is a very nice Car

Link Posted: 4/2/2021 3:10:53 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 3:11:44 PM EDT
[#32]
I've been thinking of selling my Supra and getting into a 996 911.  I know most purists hate it for the headlights and cooling, but I love it.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 3:12:15 PM EDT
[#33]
If I'm being honest, I would seriously consider switching out to a GTS if I could get the GT3 engine (and GTS price).  It would be the best of both worlds.

I don't track enough to really justify the GT3, but as nice as the 992 Carreras are they are becoming the Panamera coupes.  
View Quote

That would be my ideal set up as well.

The engine is all I would really care about in a gt3.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 3:14:54 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By GSXMatt:
I've been thinking of selling my Supra and getting into a 996 911.  I know most purists hate it for the headlights and cooling, but I love it.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/2/2021 3:15:45 PM EDT
[#35]
This is the first time I have hand washed and dried a car in 20 years!

After I week of owning, I like it more every day!

My only complaint is as a NY car it had front license plate bracket.  Switched out for European style.  Like it much better.  Still wish none, not repainting bumper over it.  

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 3:18:48 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By vetmotox:
This is the first time I have hand washed and dried a car in 20 years!

After I week of owning, I like it more every day!

My only complaint is as a NY car it had front license plate bracket.  Switched out for European style.  Like it much better.  Still wish none, not repainting bumper over it.  

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/325229/FE21FA6B-A496-47E4-A8F8-B8741DADB986_jpe-1890120.JPG
View Quote

You can do something like this?

https://bumperplugs.com/bumperplugs/bumperplugs-for-porsche
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 3:37:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: divkat9] [#37]
My 987.2. One of the best cars I’ve ever owned.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 3:40:30 PM EDT
[#38]
If I'm being honest, I would seriously consider switching out to a GTS if I could get the GT3 engine (and GTS price).  It would be the best of both worlds.

I don't track enough to really justify the GT3, but as nice as the 992 Carreras are they are becoming the Panamera coupes.  
View Quote

Completely understand. The GT3 engine is fantastic. Sounds like shaking a coffee can full of rocks at idle, but wind it up and it’s incredible.
If I didn’t have a pickup and the Macan, I’d prolly have picked the GTS instead. That said, I’m about to make yet another several hundred mile road trip in it so it must not be that bad...
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 3:44:10 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 3:47:05 PM EDT
[#40]
Probably about as close to owning a Porsche as I will get.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 3:48:35 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By Dragracer_Art:
Probably about as close to owning a Porsche as I will get.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/7187/20210314_170543_jpg-1890153.JPG
View Quote

I say it still counts.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 3:49:32 PM EDT
[#42]

I really prefer the GT3 suspension over the Carrera, but it's not a "must have".  Rear seats for the kids, a couple more creature comforts and a manual transmission - I'd keep that car forever.
View Quote

I don’t know why the GT3 touring doesn’t have rear seats.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 4:00:06 PM EDT
[#43]
PMY8De69 is on a boat.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 4:04:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: beitodesstrafe] [#44]
Originally Posted By Surf:
PMY8De69 is on a boat.
View Quote

Carmine red is so nice on Caymans...

And baller call on the black wing etc.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 4:26:58 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By beitodesstrafe:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Surf:
PMY8De69 is on a boat.

Got rid of the decals, the red brake calipers, black door handles (both of them), and blacked out the stern PORSCHE logo.  And got rid of all of the mouse fur.

Just to make it easy:

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 5:09:09 PM EDT
[#46]

View Quote

Agreed. Lava Orange is the only better color.

I just wish they all didn't have black wheels.  
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 5:11:04 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By Notcalifornialegal:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Notcalifornialegal:

I might spring for Lava Orange on my Cayenne.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 5:13:49 PM EDT
[#48]

View Quote

GT3 is the pinnacle of the 911, full stop, period.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 5:17:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CenterMass762] [#49]
I don't have one but I'll share a couple pictures of a friend's car.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 5:20:55 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By WhiskersTheCat:

GT3 is the pinnacle of the 911, full stop, period.
View Quote

Page / 119
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top