Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/21/2001 8:30:41 AM EDT
Hey Pistol Match Shooters,

I am ready to step up from 9mm to a caliber that will make major power factor in USPSA/IPSC competition.  While the 45ACP is a more common round that would be easy to acquire should WWIII ever occur , I am leaning toward the .40S&W.  The .40 should be a bit easier to control, with less muzzle flip in an uncompensated gun, in a rapid fire scenario.  The added mag capacity is also a huge plus for match shooting.  New ammo is a few cents cheaper per round, as well.

Here is what I am planning on doing.  I have swapped emails with several dealers about the Para Ordnance pistols, and am planning to go with the P16-40 Limited in SS.  The very best deal I have found so far is with [url]http://www.dawsonprecision.com/[/url].  They are offering this pistol with a custom DP Magwell installed for $750.  They have some really tricked out base pads that increase the capacity by 4 additional rounds.  How does 20 rounds of .40 sound to you?  It happens to make music to my ears.  

I have read both good and bad about the Para products.  Poor machining on the underside of the slide, plastic mag release, chipping finish plating, etc.  Even though I have read about these issues, I am still willing to give it a try.  If I could get a double stack Kimber or Springfield, I would probably go that route.  But, it appears to me that Para is the only game in town for high capacity.  I know the mags are outrageous, but if you want to play you have to pay.  

Anyone around here ever own and actaully shoot a Para for any length of time?  

How about Dawson Precision?  You guys do business with them in the past?  

Anyone seen a lower price than $750 for a P16-40 Limited in SS?

Just trying to cover my bases and, as usual, I can get the needed feedback right here at AR15.com without having to introduce myself to several other specific forums.  

Thanks much,

Joe        

Link Posted: 5/21/2001 9:21:34 AM EDT
[#1]
I paid $500.00 for mine, in black, at the Tampa Gunshow about a year ago. The P16 Limited seems to be the most popular pistol for 3 gun and action pistol matches here in the Tampa Bay area. P16 mags are converted P14 mags and a
local ammo mfg, Firing Line Gun Range and Cartridge Company 727-849-7457,loads what he calls .40 Para for the action shooters.
I've not heard any complaints regarding finish
as you mentioned. All the owners I know have
had trigger jobs done on their P16s.
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 6:06:24 PM EDT
[#2]
I feel at home with any 1911. Shot a friends P14Limited some and like it a lot. Sure is a hand full. When fully loaded you can feel the weight.
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 6:17:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Para is a fine pistol, I would stay away from SS and get steel.
You can stuff 23 rds of 40 in Arredondo mag pads and a couple of others.
Dawson sells some nice custom guns and is a class act. They sponsor alot in the IPSC/USPSA world. Dave is a IPSC shooter himself and is very involved with the sport.
S/V and STI are top of the line 1911 hicap pistols, yes they are better than Para, they have interchangable breeches so you will not wear the gun out, plus you can change the caliber down the road if you want. requires a gunsmith but is much cheaper than buying a new pistol.
I ahve a S/V and cant imagine a nicer pistol.
40 is the way to go in USPSA/IPSC they are the top cartridge. 185 and 200 grn bullets will make major if loaded correctly. Any factory ammo should be fine to make major.
I switched from a Limited shooter to Production this year to help promote and support the new division, the competition is smaller and the guns are more like what you would carry.
I use a Glock 34 in 9mm, Bladetech holster, Mitch Rosen leather mag pouches (4).
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 6:35:46 PM EDT
[#4]
HF,

$500 was a dandy price for your piece.  There is/was one on the equipment exchange for $550.  The guy said it had about 4500 rounds through it, so I figured I would rather go the extra dough on a new one.  

As far as the finish problems I have read about it was basically on the smaller parts, rather than the frame or slide.

As far as a trigger job goes...I shot a P16 last week that had a Colt upper half on it.  I have no idea what the owner had the trigger set at, but it couldn't have been much over a pound. I had 2 unintentional double taps in 10 rounds.  I don't want a trigger that sensitive.  Even though they were both into the target, it was a scary thought when I realized that I actually had 2 AD's.   The Limited models are suppossed to have the triggers fairly tweaked from the factory.  I'm sure it will be plenty good enough for me.

Thanks for the response.
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 6:39:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I feel at home with any 1911. Shot a friends P14Limited some and like it a lot. Sure is a hand full. When fully loaded you can feel the weight.
View Quote

My 6906 smith is 12 rounds double stack, and the actual grip/magwell seems larger than the Para for some reason.  I do have a Hogue slip over rubber grip on it though.  I seriously considered the P12 in 45acp for a carry pistol/match shooter, but the major difference in capacity steered me toward the full size .40.

Link Posted: 5/21/2001 7:00:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Rich[8P],

Enlighten me as to why you prefer non SS.   Other than possible concealment issues, I don't understand.  Is it a harder steel that lasts longer, or what?

I looked at the STI stuff a few minutes, but it seemed way overpriced in camparison to the Dawson special Para.  S/V, however, is one that I am not familiar with.

Interchangable breeches?  Shucks, I already have a closet full of those. [8D]  Learn me sumptin' else.  You talking a simple barrel lug replacement, or what?  I should be able to replace the whole top end for $3-$400 if I decide to go another caliber couldn't I?  

Production class...If I kept the mags at factory capacity (no replacement base pads), would the stock P16 Limited still meet this class?   Or is Production basically the same as Limited 10 class?

Sorry for all the questions. My knowledge is eating me out of house and home lately. (I love those ESPN commercials.)

Appreciate ya man.
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 8:09:21 PM EDT
[#7]
go para 40
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 8:13:03 PM EDT
[#8]
If I could get a double stack Kimber or Springfield, I would probably go that route.
View Quote

Not sure about Springfield, but I know that Kimber makes serveal high-cap polymer models.

Check em out..

WWW.kimberamerica.com
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 8:44:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Captain Obvious:
If I could get a double stack Kimber or Springfield, I would probably go that route.
View Quote

Not sure about Springfield, but I know that Kimber makes serveal high-cap polymer models.

Check em out..

WWW.kimberamerica.com
View Quote

You caught me wif my breeches down on that one, no doubt.  Looks pretty interesting, but I believe the para would still be the better value.  I haven't seen many mag options for the polymers anywhere either.  Also looks like 45 is the only option.  

I DO appreciate ya throwing me that bone.  That's why I hang here and wait for the info to flow.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top