Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/16/2001 10:14:32 AM EDT
The handguards on my rifle move side to side, not very much, but enough to drive me bonkers.  They are not moving inside the delta ring, the ring moves with them.  Is this OK, how can I correct this?  BTW, the handguards are Surefire M500A.
Link Posted: 5/16/2001 10:40:22 AM EDT
[#1]
If it is the front handguard cap, you can carefully peen it into the front sight with a center punch.
Link Posted: 5/16/2001 10:43:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Actually, the front cap doesn't move at all, just the guards and delta ring (that I can see anyways).
Link Posted: 5/16/2001 12:16:22 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a cheap solution for you.  I had the same problem with my Colt and fixed it using the following method--it works.  Please excuse me if my use of terminology is a bit confusing:

If you remove your handguards, you will notice that under the delta ring, there is a sprocket-like thing with scalloped-out indentations.  If you look on the underside of each handguard, you will notice that there is a small groove at the near end of the handguard with a raised bump or bumps in it.  That bump is supposed to engage the scallops in the sprocket underneath the handguard and keep it from moving.  Problem is, the bump is too small to stop the whole thing from wigglin'

What you want to do is take some alum. foil and fold it up so it fills the groove in the handguard.  It will stay in the groove on its own accord once the handguards are put in place and the delta ring slipped over it.  A little trial and error is required to get the right amount of foil in the groove--too much will prevent the delta ring from slipping over the handguard--too little will not stop the thing from moving.

If I remember correctly, the foil kept falling out of the groove when I put the handguards on.  I stopped this by placing a piece of masking tape over the goove with the foil in it and trimming the excess.

My handguards are now nice and firm.  Give it a shot and let me know if it worked for you.  
Link Posted: 5/16/2001 12:21:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Hey Imbro, does your 10/22 "luger" as you call it have a front handguard cap like the AR15??  I was wondering how you would know to do this fix with just a "10/22 and a .38".  Of course maybe its the .38 that has the front handguard cap.
Link Posted: 5/16/2001 12:35:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Just because I only have a 10/22 and a .38 doesn't mean I don't read about and know how to fix other guns.
Link Posted: 5/16/2001 12:41:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Imbrog|io:
Just because I only have a 10/22 and a .38 doesn't mean I don't read about and know how to fix other guns.
View Quote

Definately have to agree on that one.  I worked at a gunshop/indoor range for about two years.  Even though I don't own a lot of firearms, I could give plenty of advice on troubleshooting and fixing them.

Edited to add:  Thanks Imbrog for the input, that info will come in handy no doubt.
Link Posted: 5/16/2001 2:25:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Hey mine does that too, but I dont mind, I dont have to buy a "S" model bipod.
Link Posted: 5/16/2001 2:37:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Hey Imbro, ol' pal ol' buddy, if you know so much intimate knowledge on guns just from readin', then hows comes yuse dont knows so much about those wimminz from readin them thar Playboys?

Hold on, I feel smoke blowin' up my ass!!

[:)]
Link Posted: 5/16/2001 2:59:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Gun Toter:
Hey Imbro, does your 10/22 "luger" as you call it have a front handguard cap like the AR15??  I was wondering how you would know to do this fix with just a "10/22 and a .38".  Of course maybe its the .38 that has the front handguard cap.
View Quote

I was thinking the same thing
Link Posted: 5/16/2001 3:02:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I have a cheap solution for you.  I had the same problem with my Colt and fixed it using the following method--it works.  Please excuse me if my use of terminology is a bit confusing:

If you remove your handguards, you will notice that under the delta ring, there is a sprocket-like thing with scalloped-out indentations.  If you look on the underside of each handguard, you will notice that there is a small groove at the near end of the handguard with a raised bump or bumps in it.  That bump is supposed to engage the scallops in the sprocket underneath the handguard and keep it from moving.  Problem is, the bump is too small to stop the whole thing from wigglin'

What you want to do is take some alum. foil and fold it up so it fills the groove in the handguard.  It will stay in the groove on its own accord once the handguards are put in place and the delta ring slipped over it.  A little trial and error is required to get the right amount of foil in the groove--too much will prevent the delta ring from slipping over the handguard--too little will not stop the thing from moving.

If I remember correctly, the foil kept falling out of the groove when I put the handguards on.  I stopped this by placing a piece of masking tape over the goove with the foil in it and trimming the excess.

My handguards are now nice and firm.  Give it a shot and let me know if it worked for you.  
View Quote

How about adding to the little bump?  Is there some type of material (epoxy maybe) I can use to increase the size?  Is anything along those lines able to withstand the heat?
Link Posted: 6/4/2001 4:46:00 AM EDT
[#11]
This weekend I tore off two small strips of tinfoil, folded them up, wedged them into the slots in the rear of upper and lower handgurd, only over the bumps, and it worked like a charm.  Tightened things up nicely.  Great tip.    
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top