Page / 29
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 6:55:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote

That thing is a work of art.
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 8:20:51 PM EDT
[#2]
This Katate-uchi dates from the 1500's and is attrubuted to Kenemoto.
" />" />" />" />
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 8:29:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 8:51:15 PM EDT
[#4]
A few of my Tsuba

" />
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 11:13:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/15/2023 10:18:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TxRabbitBane] [#6]
Originally Posted By DK-Prof:

Fred Lohman can have koshirae made.  You will get the best results if you provide your own fittings ... but he does have a wide variety of new fitting available.

https://www.japanese-swords.com/pages/prices.htm

I had him make the furniture for my 1500s Norimitsu katana.  I provided all of the fittings (which were from the 1600s), so that made it very nice.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/1715/IMG_20190629_163947-998798.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/1715/IMG_20190629_164004-998799.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/1715/IMG_20190629_164019-998800.jpg
View Quote

@DK-Prof
So he did the saya/sageo, tsuka, and ito, with you supplying the hardware (habaki, kashira, tsuba, etc.)?
Fuck, I hope I got the parts right…

Looks like beautiful work.
Link Posted: 9/15/2023 4:34:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DK-Prof] [#7]
Link Posted: 9/21/2023 10:01:47 PM EDT
[#8]
@DK-Prof

Dumb question incoming…

My son made black belt in karate which let him “graduate” to studying sword work. He has a bokken and a Chinese made katana, and I was kicking around getting him something special as a gift.

I’ve stumbled across a sword made in the Edo period that is in pretty rough shape. A lot of surface rust, no hamon showing, just the blade with no hardware.

Would that be worth the time to bring back to life as a father/son project?  It’s under $100 so I’m sure we can’t ruin it any more than it already is. Is there a good resource on how to restore/polish these?

I do have a blacksmithing/blade smithing background, but finish work was always done on belt sanders and polish machines, so I doubt that there would be a ton of carryover.
Link Posted: 9/21/2023 10:06:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CajunMojo] [#9]
Originally Posted By JAD762:
@DK-Prof

Dumb question incoming…

My son made black belt in karate which let him “graduate” to studying sword work. He has a bokken and a Chinese made katana, and I was kicking around getting him something special as a gift.

I’ve stumbled across a sword made in the Edo period that is in pretty rough shape. A lot of surface rust, no hamon showing, just the blade with no hardware.

Would that be worth the time to bring back to life as a father/son project?  It’s under $100 so I’m sure we can’t ruin it any more than it already is. Is there a good resource on how to restore/polish these?

I do have a blacksmithing/blade smithing background, but finish work was always done on belt sanders and polish machines, so I doubt that there would be a ton of carryover.
View Quote

If you do this, by all that is holy, please share the progression here!

...or if you make a separate thread, tag me.
Link Posted: 9/21/2023 10:30:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By CajunMojo:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By CajunMojo:
@DK-Prof

Dumb question incoming…

Ha!  I haven’t started a new unfinished project in a while so I just might. But if I do, I fear that I may serve as a lesson in what not to do.

I have hand finished small blades before. It’s just a matter of working through progressively finer grits until you get to the finish you’re after. Theoretically, it should be the same here…right?

I’ve never explored what goes into refinishing a Japanese blade, so I genuinely don’t know.
Link Posted: 9/22/2023 10:46:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DK-Prof] [#11]
Link Posted: 9/22/2023 11:38:27 AM EDT
[#12]
@JAD762

if the blade really is that far gone, (pics please) and you have some experience

look up : hybrid polishing japanese blades

and go from there. It can be done, and very well if you take your time.

just bear in mind that your blade will NEVER be up to Japanese polishing standards.

but, you CAN make it look good and be functional again.

Link Posted: 9/22/2023 1:19:25 PM EDT
[#13]
It's a tricky question, and I don't really know enough about polishing to give you a good answer.

The general rule for polishing of traditional Japanese swords seems to be: don't try it because you will ruin the blade.  

In Japan, polishers often apprentice for as much as 7-10 years before they are considered fully trained.  Part of the issue is that not only is it difficult to get the exact surface finish correct (using a series of polishing stones and stone powder), but the polisher is also shaping the blade to the correct symmetry.  Because Japanese swords have soft steel cores, with a harder steel exteriro, if too much steel is removed and the core is exposed, then the blade is ruined.  (As a related note, this means that an old Japanese sword can only be polished so many times over its lifetime.  Some old blades are sometimes described as "tired" if they have been polished three or four times, because it means they cannot be polished again without ruining them).  

On the other hand - how much of the alleged super complicated and mysterious art of polishing is just tradition and myth?  Perhaps using modern techniques and materials, it might not actually be too difficult to try to polish a Japanese sword? Trying with a cheap blade that otherwise would never be brought back, and would just forever languish as a rusted piece of trash may not be that bad an idea.

... Of course the concern for some people is that an old blade MIGHT have been properly restored by a trained and licensed polisher ... but if an amateur attempts it, they WILL ruin it.  But, if it's an old rusty blade that NOBODY is actually ever going to pay a licensed polisher to restore, then I done see the harm in trying.  Even if you fail and the blade is ruined, so what?  Nothing was really lost if nobody was ever going to properly restore it anyway (which is definitely true for a $100 rusted Edo blade) ... and there's a chance you might succeed!  

So while other Japanese sword collectors might consider it heresy and sacrilege, I say "go for it"
View Quote

Right on, I appreciate it!

I’m thinking along the same lines as your last paragraph. A quick google search says it’s $100-130 per inch to polish a sword. With a 30 inch cutting surface you’re looking at $3k just to get the blade done - if it can be.

Or you can get a decent complete sword with a signed tang for $1k-1500.

So I doubt anyone would get this unsigned sword from sometime in the edo period professionally redone. It is essentially a dead sword. If I get into it and completely screw it up it’s not like it’s a major loss to world heritage.

And it’s not like I’m planning on putting it back into the market. The goal here to be to make a memory with my son and give him something unique to swing around in his small town karate dojo.

But, it’s in an online auction and the price cranked up to $200 all in with a day left, so I guess we’ll see what happens.
Link Posted: 9/22/2023 1:21:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By doubleplusgood:
@JAD762

if the blade really is that far gone, (pics please) and you have some experience

just bear in mind that your blade will NEVER be up to Japanese polishing standards.

View Quote

Link Posted: 9/22/2023 1:28:13 PM EDT
[#15]
What would be a good suggestion for a new sword intended for actual use? I would like some decent steel but does not have to be an art piece.
Link Posted: 9/22/2023 1:32:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By doubleplusgood:
@JAD762

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/266317/IMG_7123-2962512.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/266317/IMG_7122-2962513.jpg

yeah, thats pretty rough.
Link Posted: 9/22/2023 4:20:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DK-Prof] [#17]
Link Posted: 9/23/2023 7:19:24 AM EDT
[#18]
While it would be a shame to ruin a historically significant sword, the odds are low and it likely never would have been discovered otherwise.

Go for it, GL with bidding.
Link Posted: 9/23/2023 6:49:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Well, it got bid up to $400 all in, so I passed on it.

Maybe worth it if I kinda knew what I was doing, but not for the hack job I’d inevitably do.
Link Posted: 9/23/2023 6:54:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Well, it got bid up to $400 all in, so I passed on it.

Maybe worth it if I kinda knew what I was doing, but not for the hack job I’d inevitably do.
View Quote

Keep looking!
Link Posted: 12/14/2023 1:15:46 PM EDT
[#21]
I have a old WWII sword that is a mix of civilian and cherry blossem furniture.

Had it about 15 years tang is signed and it's in ok shape could use a refinish.
any suggestions if I grab pix of it?
Link Posted: 12/14/2023 1:23:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DaveM4P99] [#22]
Originally Posted By OTHP:
I have a old WWII sword that is a mix of civilian and cherry blossem furniture.

Had it about 15 years tang is signed and it's in ok shape could use a refinish.
any suggestions if I grab pix of it?
View Quote

Post pics here and I can post pics over on the Nihonto message boards. Those guys are true experts and can probably attribute your blade to a swordsmith and time period.

Take clear photos of the tang and signature, and the tip, and the whole blade!

Don't try to polish or remove rust. Just lightly rub with mineral oil for now.

The experts can tell you if it's worth restoring.

Can be as much as $100+ per inch to polish properly.
Link Posted: 12/14/2023 1:49:46 PM EDT
[#23]
As someone with potentially up to a $1500ish budget looking for their first sword, and is completely overwhelmed by the verbage and everything.

I see something like this and wonder why its only $750 when its got the paperwork and koshirae vs other seemingly similar swords from the same era that are 3 or 4k.
Link Posted: 12/14/2023 2:04:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DK-Prof] [#24]
Link Posted: 12/14/2023 2:04:25 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 12/14/2023 3:53:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DK-Prof] [#26]
Link Posted: 12/14/2023 5:36:28 PM EDT
[#27]

Keep in mind, there's still over four days left on that auction.  It's definitely going to sell for over $1K.

But, you might be able to get this for under $1500, depending on bids.  The fact that three different people have bid already might mean that it's going to be a bit of a bidding war - in which case it could easily go above $1500, and might even end up above $2000.

It's a very nice blade.  Koto (from the warring states period), with an intact signature, in nice polish and condition, cool hamon, with very nice furniture and NBTHK paperwork.
View Quote

One more question. On the blades that just come in the shirasaya. If you want to have furniture made, it looks like a lot of people are buying the tsuba, menuki, etc from the correct era and then paying someone to make Koshirae (since the dimensions of the sword are unique per blade)?
Link Posted: 12/14/2023 9:00:01 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 12/15/2023 1:38:30 AM EDT
[#29]
This is an example of buying a blade, and then having koshiray made.

View Quote

This is excellent. I’d love to go this route honestly. I bought one of the books on Japanese swords mentioned in the Nihinto FAQ page to try and get my head around the terms. The more I think about it, if I got a wak to start, I’d always list after a katana later. Not sure about vice versa.

Time to start looking ideally for:
Katana
1600s or earlier (ideally)
With paperwork and signature.

This might set me back a bit more so I’ll have to start doing research on what’s out there and keep my eye on various sites.
Link Posted: 12/15/2023 1:47:31 AM EDT
[#30]
why did you all have to bump this!

Link Posted: 12/15/2023 10:55:59 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 12/15/2023 11:04:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DK-Prof] [#32]
Link Posted: 12/15/2023 11:20:59 AM EDT
[#33]

They definitely like to multiply.  I agree that if you get a wak, you will eventually want a katana as well.  Of course, once you get a katana, you will probably talk yourself into a wak anyway.  

I would say that if you take your time, you can find something very nice (papered katana from 1500s or 1600s in nice furniture) in the $2000-$3000 range.  I would recommend bookmarking and checking the various dealers on eBay that I listed in the OP.  After a while, as you see how much swords that meet your criteria sell for, you can get an idea of the price range you will be in, and start planning.  

It'll also be useful to see how relaxing one of your criteria lowers the price.  For example, a number of katana may no longer have signatures, due to being shortened at some point - and so an intact signature will likely raise the price.  For me, a signature is a "nice to have" but not "have to have" if the blade is papered.  One of my favorite swords is my Munemichi blade from around 1660.  It doesn't have a signature, but the paperwork specifically attributes it to Munemichi, so the lack of a signature doesn't bother me too much.  Of course, sometimes the paperwork for unsigned blades attributes a blade to a school, but not a specific smith.

ETA:  Here's a blade that recently sold from the same ebay seller you are looking at.
It is a katana-length sword, that is beautiful and in great condition, and comes with a really nice koshirae.  It is unusual because it has TWO sets of NBTHK - one for the blade, and one for the koshirae.  (NBTHK mostly rates blades, but they can also rate fittings and furniture, if it's very nice).

https://www.ebay.com/itm/145409447805

This sold for just over $2200.  That's a pretty good deal, IMO.

Now, the "downside" to this sword is that although it is a katana, it is a the very short end at 62cm.  As a general rule, for a katana, most people prefer lengths of 68cm or greater, and over 70cm is particularly desirable.  Of course, longer blades tend to be more expensive as a result.  So once again, it's a trade-off.  If you do not care about length that much, then there will be more options and it will be less costly.  If you really want a blade on the longer end, then there's going to be less choice and it's going to be more expensive.
View Quote

I've got all of the pages bookmarked and I'm reading and learning a bit more each day. If a blade is unsigned but has the paperwork attribution to a koto-era smith, I'd let that slide as it seems the NBTHK people will know more than I will ever know!
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 1:28:24 AM EDT
[#34]
Looks like there is a huge annual antique arms and swords show in Vegas with a huge showing from Japanese sword lovers across the country next month. It’s the same week as SHOT show so I’ll be down in Vegas and hopefully get my hands on some real blades before committing to any purchase.

Antique Arms Show Vegas 2024
Link Posted: 12/24/2023 5:02:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Autarkis] [#35]
There's a animated show on Netflix that's really good. The sword smith scenes keep making me think of this thread.

Blue Eye Samurai
Blue Eye Samurai | Hammerscale | Full Episode | Netflix
Link Posted: 12/28/2023 11:42:52 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 12/29/2023 6:20:35 PM EDT
[#37]
Hey,  how about Japanese Armor?

I just got an armor stand... now I need something to put on it.
I'd like to get some Samurai armor.  Reproduction, not real antique... That I can actually wear.
Also what type of garments would be worn under the armor?  I'll need to get a set of those too.

My limited google searches have turned up a few options but I have no idea if they're worth it...  
Hoping someone can point me to decent quality so I can get an idea on prices.  
I mean I've seen prices ranging from $3,000 to $12,000... from the first few sites that show up on google... But I'm concerned those may be ripoffs.
I need to find someone with experience with armors to advise me.

Link Posted: 1/23/2024 9:30:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DK-Prof] [#38]
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 12:07:10 PM EDT
[#39]
Away foul temptor!

I'm planning on blowing my life savings on one of Mark Knopfler's guitars this month I can't be distracted by Japanese swords right now!
Link Posted: 1/24/2024 1:05:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Fushaw] [#40]
Originally Posted By RickFinsta:
Away foul temptor!

I'm planning on blowing my life savings on one of Mark Knopfler's guitars this month I can't be distracted by Japanese swords right now!
View Quote

How many guitars in the auction?

I remember the Gilmour auction was way out of any league I pretend to be in. I’ll stick with my custom shop relic strat.

Back to swords, I’ll be at the Vegas show later this week to see a bunch of swords in person and who knows what may or may not follow me home.

So far I’ve picked up 3 books and have 2 more Sesko books on the way (koto and Shinto kantei books).
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 1:27:39 AM EDT
[#41]
@DK-Prof

I noticed a number of the sellers on the ebay pages mentioned that the registration card is retained in Japan, but they send a copy.  I was wondering what the purpose behind retaining the registration card is?

I also noticed that if you place a sword on your watchlist, there is a possibility that the seller may send an offer for a price lower than the original list.  I've gotten 2 seller offers that were roughly 12% lower than the listed sale price.  I'm only dreaming and drooling at this point, so I haven't pursued anything any further than watching an item.
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 7:00:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Dino] [#42]
does anyone know how much it would cost to refurb a sword?

My Grandfather had a wakizashi, I think it was from the 1400s, that he brought back from WWII.  After he died, it disappeared and one of my white trash cousins stole it. I found out and went over and paid him $100 for it.  

This was a very beautiful sword the last time I saw it (several years ag).   When I bought it from my fucking shithead cousin, it no longer had a scabbard, pommel, etc it was just a blade with the tang wrapped in duck tape....  He's been using it like a machet to clear his land.  The blade has some pits now as well.    

I'd like to get it restored, but I don't know what I need to do to do that or what something like that costs.   I consider it a family heirloom, so I'm willing to spend a few grand to get it fixed, but I can't afford to spend 10 grand to do it.    

Hoping @DK-Prof  has the answers.  

eta: slowly catching up looks like it will be expensive.  I'll get some pics and see if the maker is still identifiable

Link Posted: 2/1/2024 10:33:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Fushaw] [#43]
Originally Posted By Dino:
does anyone know how much it would cost to refurb a sword?

My Grandfather had a wakizashi, I think it was from the 1400s, that he brought back from WWII.  After he died, it disappeared and one of my white trash cousins stole it. I found out and went over and paid him $100 for it.  

This was a very beautiful sword the last time I saw it (several years ag).   When I bought it from my fucking shithead cousin, it no longer had a scabbard, pommel, etc it was just a blade with the tang wrapped in duck tape....  He's been using it like a machet to clear his land.  The blade has some pits now as well.    

I'd like to get it restored, but I don't know what I need to do to do that or what something like that costs.   I consider it a family heirloom, so I'm willing to spend a few grand to get it fixed, but I can't afford to spend 10 grand to do it.    

Hoping @DK-Prof  has the answers.  

eta: slowly catching up looks like it will be expensive.  I'll get some pics and see if the maker is still identifiable

View Quote

Post pics of the entire blade, a closeup of any markings on the nakago (tang), and if you can capture the hamon (temper line) in the light depending on the polish.
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 10:34:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: kpel308] [#44]
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 1:11:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DK-Prof] [#45]
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 12:49:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Fushaw] [#46]
Aoi Japan - Fujiwara Takada katana

This auction is worth watching for someone looking for a 70cm mumei (unsigned) katana attributed to a known smith group (Takada) from the early Edo period. (1600-1700). It is unshortened and has a nice gunome temper line.

Starting price is ~$1600 and it comes in full koshirae with a NBTHK Hozon paper.

Note, the auction timer is off by about 12 hours or whatever due to it being based in Japan so check the Japanese site and translate it to English to get the accurate countdown on the auction if you're interested. I'd be bidding on this if I didn't just drop $$$ on rebuilding my kitchen.
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 2:35:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DK-Prof] [#47]
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 2:58:06 PM EDT
[#48]

I am VERY tempted to see if I can get it, but I am resisting the temptation so far.  
View Quote

Would it help you resist if I said I was going to bid on it?

I am not so feel free to, you know you want it.

@DK-prof
Link Posted: 2/5/2024 1:24:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DK-Prof] [#49]
Link Posted: 2/7/2024 11:56:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DK-Prof] [#50]
Page / 29
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top