Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/13/2001 2:43:27 PM EDT
Link Posted: 5/13/2001 3:44:34 PM EDT
[#1]
WILSON, I should wish I can help you with selecting a portable GPS according to the criteria you mentioned.

The GPS I have mentioned in previous posts was permanently installed in one of my cars by our trusty technicians our family has used for years and I'm not sure exactly what was installed.  The GPS I'm referring to is geared for automobile use and not outdoor activities.  BTW, I put a fair amount of trust in our technicians because we have known them a long time and I am just way too busy as a university student with hobbies, daily gym program, and clients, etc, etc to do much research on my own for personal consumer goods.  Maybe I shouldn't surf AR15.com and many other websites in my meagerly spare time!

All I can say is the GPS I have is very accurate and responds to my voice with it responding back with an answer.  If I'm lost, it tells me exactly where I am.  If I miss a turn, it immediately recalculates the route and gives me new directions.  It will tell me which compass direction I am heading if asked upon. If one of my cell phone rings, I can tell my GPS to go to sleep, answer the phone and tell the GPS to wake on demand after using my cell.  Also there is no need to look at a screen while using it so I can focus on the road.  It costed a small bundle, but it was worth it to install it just for the safety factor alone.

Possibly in the near future I may be asking a similar question you are asking because lately I have been talking to some of my college friends who want to get into extreme sports like skydiving, bungee jumping, rock climbing, etc.  Like I'm not busy enough! [:O] With that in mind, I better get myself a reliable and accurate portable GPS.  But quite frankly, I want a portable with all the bells and whistles complete with "alphabet soup" when I'm out there with my life on a tread.   [:)]

If I hear about anything pertaining to your GPS question, I'll posted it.  You may already have selected one by then!  I hope you post here the GPS brand/type/model after you finally decided on one.     [:D]

Good luck!

-RoadDog

Link Posted: 5/13/2001 4:39:23 PM EDT
[#2]
The Garmin Tracker works within 10 feet or so.
From my useage only.
But it depends on what Uncle Sam is doing with the sattelites.
Garmin has several models but the Tracker seems to be pretty widely available.
Link Posted: 5/13/2001 5:23:30 PM EDT
[#3]
I know that there is a newsgroup devoted to GPS. I spent some time there last year & found some folks who knew all about the subject.  
Garmin impressed me the most at the time.  I finally decided the GPS Units  weren't ready for Prime Time yet.
Link Posted: 5/13/2001 5:51:23 PM EDT
[#4]
I bought a Magellan GPS 315 for its' small size, small price, and it has the MGRS grid system. You can get MGRS maps from US Cavalry that cover the continemtal US. I have to have the MGRS, I just don't even feel like trying to figure out the UTM bullsh*t. I also got the adaptor so it can ride on the dash, and the "datasend" CD, which has the locations of more stuff (museums, hospitals, etc) than you can shake a stick at.
Link Posted: 5/13/2001 6:52:39 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a Garmin eTrex Venture GPS. It's a nice small unit with all of the features that you've mentioned, plus a few more. It also lists the sunrise/sunset and "best hunting" times. This unit will also accept data from Garmin CDs. I use mine for lots of deep woods wandering and when I return home I download my track to my Maptech mapping program. After doing this, I can "see" exactly where I've been on a topo map. All in all, a very nice unit for around $160. [URL]www.garmin.com [/URL]   SamC
Link Posted: 5/13/2001 7:04:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top