Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/11/2001 10:46:29 PM EDT
Can anyone explain to me how much of a pain it is to build up a rifle with a shorter barrel 11-14" and register it as a pistol or SBR? What are the drawbacks of doing so? Does it cost extra?

Aviator?
Link Posted: 5/11/2001 10:55:13 PM EDT
[#1]
You can't legally build up a rifle with a barrel shorter than 16".

You can build a pistol with a barrel shorter than 16" and you don't have to register it as such.

The stipulation is that you don't have a stock attached to the short barreled weapon so that it can be shouldered and therefore is considered a rifle.  As long as all you have attached to the rear of the receiver is a short pistol buffer tube then you can go as short as they make them.

AR pistol kits are available from a variety of sources and are priced about $25 more than the rifle kits.

Be sure to check out the Legal forum on here.

[sniper]
[b]The Sniper
Link Posted: 5/11/2001 10:58:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Why does Bushy seel the 14" M4 Uppers then saying it needs to registered as a pistola OR SBR? Not doubting you, just curious..

Aviator

TY BTW
Link Posted: 5/11/2001 11:02:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Aviator,
Us chickens here in Wa can't own a SBR. Not allowed by Wa state law.

You can build an AOW. You have to go the entire NFA BS along with getting your local LEO head to sign off on your project.

CavVet might have some info.

Link Posted: 5/11/2001 11:03:38 PM EDT
[#4]
How do you go about registering a SBR?
Link Posted: 5/11/2001 11:05:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Why does Bushy seel the 14" M4 Uppers then saying it needs to registered as a pistola OR SBR? Not doubting you, just curious..

Aviator

TY BTW
View Quote

I wasn't aware that they stipulate this.  Maybe you should repost this in the Legal section and let some others chime in here.

I would assume that they are talking about making sure the ATF knows that the M4 shorty is not resting on a CAR lower assembly.  You know - preventative measures so they don't come knocking on you door to find out.

[sniper]
[b]The Sniper
Link Posted: 5/12/2001 12:15:08 AM EDT
[#6]
You can't just build a pistol from a rifle lower.  You have to have a lower that left the factory as a pistol lower.  I believe new ones can't have detachable mag if the gun weighs over 46(?) oz.

You can, in some states, have a registered short barreled rifle.  Check all laws first.  BISHOP is very helpful with info.
Link Posted: 5/12/2001 3:18:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Simply fill out a Form 1, have your local CLEO sign off, send in with check for $200.  When you get your tax stamp in the mail buy upper, slap on lower and there you go SBR.  In order to build a pistol the lower must have been specified as a pistol lower when if left the mfg.
Link Posted: 5/12/2001 3:53:26 AM EDT
[#8]
www.titleii.com,,,,forms, Form 1,,Danbrew has set up so can fill out there and print. Will need to call ATF Material Distribution (703-455-7801)and get (2) FD-258 print cards to go with the Form 1. With SBR you can remove stock, "looks" like pistol,,BUT IT IS STILL A SBR. You can get all "original" forms from ATF Distribution, They are FREEEE!!!! Don't forget to get a bunch of ATF 5320.20 transport papers for travel out of state.
Link Posted: 5/12/2001 6:58:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Aviator

TY BTW
View Quote

Its for fully automatic machineguns. The SBR does not apply to machineguns.
Link Posted: 5/12/2001 8:30:36 AM EDT
[#10]
the 15 inch barrlers are for  SBR's, MG's, AOW's, And pistols of course to get a AOW
AR just get a lower that NEVER had a buttstock on it, a pistol parts kit, foward assit, and the most important thing your approved Form 1.
then u can assemble it

also if the legel section doesnt help ya out try the m16/full auto  section

oops almost forgot a form one is gonna cost u 200 bucks for the tax stamp when u send in the form just send in a check for 200 bucks
Link Posted: 5/12/2001 8:46:31 AM EDT
[#11]
If you build a pistol it has to weigh lees than 50 oz in compliance with the 94 ban.you cant do that with common parts on a alum. reciever.Hesse has the kevlar maybe and they do list some as pistol.Cav Arms said he might make some pistol lowers.In Illinois we cant have SBR's either.We can have AOW this gets around the 50 oz limit.You can cut down a shotgun below 18" and its a AOW as long as it never had a shoulder stock.If it did its a SBS.If the barrel is rifled it never had a shoulder stock and you add a forward grip its a AOW.If it had a stock at any time its a SBR wether its attached or not.Simple and makes a lot of sense
dont it.

CIB I thought if you bought a reciver only you had the dealer put it in the book and on the 4473 as pistol or rifle.Although since Hesse sells theirs as two diffrent I may be wrong.
Link Posted: 5/12/2001 9:40:39 AM EDT
[#12]
OK, next round of questions.... Is it $200 per year, or a one time fee? And do the same rules as far as pre and post ban effect short rifles (meaning the no flash hider, no collapsable stock, and such)?  Thanks for all the help.

Aviator
Link Posted: 5/12/2001 12:13:28 PM EDT
[#13]
one time fee and from what i hear for SBR's the pre post still apply BUT not for AOW so ig u wnat a ar pistol reg it as a AOW
Link Posted: 5/12/2001 12:21:56 PM EDT
[#14]
I TOTALLY want to build an AR pistol myself-
Carbon makes one, and CDNN has a few left for $619.00 FFL-
But I want to build my own with my own components I choose.

So, HESSE has Kevlar lowers marked PISTOL??

I am hoping Shawn will make some.
CAV prodicts are TOO cool...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top