BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 440
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 9:58:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Obo2] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Cobalt135:
Venting does not mean fuel or oxidizer necessarily.

There are long CO2 tanks under some of the strakes as you might call them on the booster, the long triangular shaped things on the lower 1/3rd.  They are used for fire suppression in the engine bay area to purge out any flammable mixtures during the ascent phase in the areas of the engines turbopump and feed line area.  There is zoomed footage (Everyday Astronaut/Cosmic Perspective) from IFT-1 that shows what appears to be fires in the area above the engines and also blowing out of the side panels in said compartments.  One of the items on investigation report mentioned upping fire suppression capability before IFT-2.

You would assume there is a similar system on the ship as well so whenever venting is seen, it could very well be CO2 and not explodey stuff.

IFT-1 footage that shows the fires and such starting after 7:30.  Make sure you select the 4K feed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCYSVmSPM7E

View Quote

There are various other reasons starship vents as well. Managing pressure, it vents o2 (maybe methane but not both at same time) through it's rcs system, just dumping excess. Neither the methane or o2 are particularly splodey on their own. Even mixed together or the methane in atmo it's rare to have the proper stoichiometric ratio for a detonation or deflagration rather than just conflagration.

There's also nitrogen on board to help spin up raptors.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 12:08:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By redoubt:

"Curiously enough, the only thing that went through the mind of the bowl of petunias as it fell was Oh no, not again. Many people have speculated that if we knew exactly why the bowl of petunias had thought that we would know a lot more about the nature of the Universe than we do now."
 Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By redoubt:

"Curiously enough, the only thing that went through the mind of the bowl of petunias as it fell was Oh no, not again. Many people have speculated that if we knew exactly why the bowl of petunias had thought that we would know a lot more about the nature of the Universe than we do now."
 Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
In other news Aurthur Dent is wanted by authorities on charges of being a multiple mass murderer.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 9:02:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 9:14:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By mort:
In other news Aurthur Dent is wanted by authorities on charges of being a multiple mass murderer.
View Quote

Slartibartfast getting payback.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 9:59:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 12:54:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Breakdown of some changes in the 4 months between IFT-2 and IFT-3 it seems like some good progress that was made relatively quick.  While there are physical design changes noted in this video that was published before the last launch, and at this point seeing what data they may have gathered during IFT-3 due to the relatively solid Starlink data relay even during re-entry where there was not much data blackout due to plasma, you have to wonder what they will throw out there next?  Software changes to address whatever happened during IFT-3 would likely come quicker than changes to hardware design for the next flight test.  They have some older hardware revisions they might want to launch for testing sooner rather than later and hopefully they can accomplish that in the next few months just to see what the outcome is.  Again, we wait on the FAA to shuffle feet for a launch license.  Guessing May or June when that happens....?

What Did SpaceX Change & Upgrade For Starship's 3rd Flight Test?

Link Posted: 3/17/2024 12:56:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Cobalt135] [#7]

View Quote
DT
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 11:59:38 AM EDT
[#8]
[4K Slow-Mo] Starship Flight 3 Supercut w/ Incredible Audio
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 12:41:31 PM EDT
[#9]

Link Posted: 3/17/2024 1:06:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 7:08:56 PM EDT
[#11]
That's an expensive rocket bidet. And someone needs to clean the bowl.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 10:00:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 3:43:30 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By mPisi:
View Quote

Think how much trouble we'd be in if the United States were run by a foreign entity and we had onl- oh. Wait. Nevermind.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 8:57:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: kill-9] [#14]
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 9:06:30 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 9:13:40 AM EDT
[#16]
I knew Musk would gun for 4/20
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 10:45:29 AM EDT
[#17]

Link Posted: 3/19/2024 11:02:53 AM EDT
[#18]
Any word about whether the FAA is doing a mishap investigation about IFT3?
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 11:12:05 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Chokey:

View Quote

They need to rethink the idea of catching boosters and ships with the chopsticks in the short term to keep the project moving forward.  That should be a future goal, not an immediately necessary milestone before they are able to recover and reuse ships.

If they don't, they are going to have to keep dumping ships in the ocean until they are reliably landing them on a literal dime and that could take years.  I don't know what the positional and rotational tolerance is of the chopstick system but I bet it's a lot tighter than a large concrete landing pad.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 11:17:04 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By woodsie:

They need to rethink the idea of catching boosters and ships with the chopsticks in the short term to keep the project moving forward.  That should be a future goal, not an immediately necessary milestone before they are able to recover and reuse ships.

If they don't, they are going to have to keep dumping ships in the ocean until they are reliably landing them on a literal dime and that could take years.  I don't know what the positional and rotational tolerance is of the chopstick system but I bet it's a lot tighter than a large concrete landing pad.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Chokey:

It certainly increases the complexity.  With Falcon 9 you have to have 1 complex system (the booster) to work almost perfectly to land....with Starship booster you have all the booster complexity plus the OLM system complexity.  

It's likely going to create some impressive failures before it creates an impressive success.....either way the videos should be awesome.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 11:18:51 AM EDT
[#21]

View Quote
That get's me thinking...will they need to run the deluge system while landing also?
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 11:20:30 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By trapsh00ter99:
That get's me thinking...will they need to run the deluge system while landing also?
View All Quotes

Doubt it.  They're not lighting 33 to hover an empty tank.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 11:22:49 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By dmnoid77:

View All Quotes

If I remember right during the last launch they said roughly half (don't remember the actual number) would fire for the "landing burn" in the water.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 11:24:18 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By fox2008:

If I remember right during the last launch they said roughly half (don't remember the actual number) would fire for the "landing burn" in the water.
View All Quotes

Yes, they said the outer ring of fixed engines wouldn't light.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 11:36:14 AM EDT
[#25]
Yes, they said the outer ring of fixed engines wouldn't light.
View Quote

That is probably because the outer ring cannot be restarted plus those engines do not gimbal.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 11:43:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: HeavyMetal] [#26]
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 12:52:26 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 2:16:46 PM EDT
[#28]

View All Quotes

according to Felix from What About It? I think he says 13 were supposed to relight
SpaceX Starship IFT3 Aftermath: New Insights Paint Different Picture!

Link Posted: 3/19/2024 2:28:04 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Harmonic_Distortion:

according to Felix from What About It? I think he says 13 were supposed to relight
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFFyi9BYrv8

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Harmonic_Distortion:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFFyi9BYrv8

13 for the boostback and again for the deceleration burn, not sure if it would need all 13 to hover.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 2:47:42 PM EDT
[#30]

3D Animation synced up with video of starship's attitude throughout re-entry
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 2:55:10 PM EDT
[#31]

13 for the boostback and again for the deceleration burn, not sure if it would need all 13 to hover.
View Quote

Pretty sure its supposed to cut down significantly from 13 for the final stages of the landing burn.  
Dry mass of the booster is not far from the thrust of one engine so it wouldn't surprise me if they go all the way down to the 3 center engines throttled back.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 3:09:40 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By DarkGray:

View Quote

Wow. Crazy it held up as long as it did with all that heat on the unprotected portions.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 3:15:35 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By SilverBearX:

Wow. Crazy it held up as long as it did with all that heat on the unprotected portions.
View Quote

Stainless steel as opposed to aluminum. The first and 3rd full stack flights seem to have been... unintentional? demonstrations that Starship is built like a Mac Truck.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 3:23:12 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 3:25:08 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 3:27:16 PM EDT
[#36]

View All Quotes

Pretty impressive….kinda like IFT1 stack tumbling at speed without breaking apart….thing is obviously built like a tank.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 4:49:20 PM EDT
[#37]

Pretty impressive….kinda like IFT1 stack tumbling at speed without breaking apart….thing is obviously built like a tank.
View All Quotes

Well…it is one.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 6:09:42 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Chairborne:

Well…it is one.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Chairborne:

Well…it is one.

Needs more 120mm guns
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 8:15:50 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By Obo2:

Pretty sure its supposed to cut down significantly from 13 for the final stages of the landing burn.  
Dry mass of the booster is not far from the thrust of one engine so it wouldn't surprise me if they go all the way down to the 3 center engines throttled back.
View All Quotes

That's kind of where I'm at.  They were landing Starship with two lit initially and finishing with one if I recall.  Hovering booster with just the three center engines is probably doable, if not overkill.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 9:30:01 PM EDT
[#40]
View Quote
The boosters and ships will be mostly empty so thrust will be much less than takeoff.

Good question.

I think not needed, especially with the stainless armor everywhere.

Perhaps it will run with a lower flow rate to provide cooling water only rather than the full deluge. Or maybe it's all or nothing so you would get full deluge.

Link Posted: 3/19/2024 9:32:04 PM EDT
[#41]

That's kind of where I'm at.  They were landing Starship with two lit initially and finishing with one if I recall.  Hovering booster with just the three center engines is probably doable, if not overkill.
View All Quotes

I remember hearing on the SpaceX stream, they said that for the landing burn they'd ignite all 13 engines then reduce it to 3. I think the idea is that you make sure you have enough engines light then reduce it to what you need. The system could then select the 3 healthiest engines. And if those aren't the 3 center ones, it could select the best ones for balance.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 9:32:40 PM EDT
[#42]

View Quote

I think it largely broke up due to a bunch of pressure up it's ass
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 10:01:49 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By Houstons_Problem:
The boosters and ships will be mostly empty so thrust will be much less than takeoff.

Good question.

Perhaps it will run with a lower flow rate to provide cooling water only rather than the full deluge. Or maybe it's all or nothing so you would get full deluge.

View All Quotes

Good question.

I think the catch will be higher up the tower. The mock-ups showed it catching at the top of the OLIT.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 10:08:49 PM EDT
[#44]

I think it largely broke up due to a bunch of pressure up it's ass
View Quote

The superheated plasma enema was not kind to it
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 10:31:16 PM EDT
[#45]
I suspect that eventually the final burn will be optimized as much as possible.  That said, letting atmospheric friction do as much work as possible is probably the most efficient.  The only real problem then is at some point efficiency will limit your options - if you start to late on the burn and things don't work perfectly - you are going to hit hard.  Last thing Musk will want is to take out the launch tower.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 10:41:47 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By DK-Prof:

That has hopefully given them really good data on just how durable their stainless construction is.
View Quote
Most people haven't figured it out yet, but cybertruck has very similar construction as starship. It's even shaped like a lifting body.

I am sure that the first few Starships that reach Mars will be dropping squadrons of manned cyber trucks with crew served weapons mounted in the truck beds on Mars. The astronauts manning the cyber trucks will be mobile infantry popularly known as starship troopers.

The purpose of the initial beach head landings will be to demonstrate prompt inner solar system strike capability to potential threats that will no doubt be watching.

Cyber truck body panels and glass offering limited protection from projectile weapons as strong as current pistol calibers may not seem like much until you consider that is the heaviest armor available in any space based drop vehicle in the system.

Basically to understand what is happening today all you need to know is that Elon Musk is a real life D. D. Harriman as foretold by Robert A. Heinlein and damn near everything is earily proceeding in multiple parallels with various themes from Robert A. Heinlein novels. None of it became easily apparent until Elon Musk finally started falling in line with the D. D. Harriman character. It's the only thing out of the modern era that isn't an absolute mess. The worst parts of the various messes are also proceeding as predicted by Ayn Rand and Kurt Vonnegut's Harrison Bergeron.

Link Posted: 3/19/2024 10:43:16 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By DK-Prof:

The comments from the FAA guy are definitely encouraging!
View Quote
Yes.  Most unexpected and most welcomed. It's almost as if someone wants us to win at least once.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 10:44:57 PM EDT
[#48]

Pretty impressive .kinda like IFT1 stack tumbling at speed without breaking apart .thing is obviously built like a tank.
View Quote
Dude, please, the preferred nomenclature is battlestar.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 10:46:45 PM EDT
[#49]
View All Quotes

Pretty impressive .kinda like IFT1 stack tumbling at speed without breaking apart .thing is obviously built like a tank.
Bolo. For tanks, it's Bolo.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 11:09:36 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By mousehunter:
I suspect that eventually the final burn will be optimized as much as possible.  That said, letting atmospheric friction do as much work as possible is probably the most efficient.  The only real problem then is at some point efficiency will limit your options - if you start to late on the burn and things don't work perfectly - you are going to hit hard.  Last thing Musk will want is to take out the launch tower.
View Quote

F9 comes in so it will miss the drone ship and corrects at the last moment to land on it.
Page / 440
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top