Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/28/2003 1:25:57 PM EDT
Seen a few at a show and it just bugged the crap out of me that they are dated on the same day the AWB started.

Just a pointless rant that those mags are out of my reach by one day, hours acutally.

CH

Link Posted: 11/28/2003 1:31:30 PM EDT
[#1]
i think those would be nice to have in a collection.
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 1:36:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
View Quote

They will be a year from now, when they're 89 cents a piece at Big Lots.
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 1:53:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

Sorry, that law does not have a sunset provision.  We're stuck with it until it is repealed.
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 2:00:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

Sorry, that law does not have a sunset provision.  We're stuck with it until it is repealed.
View Quote

Actually, the 10-round magazine capacity limitation provision also "sunsets" next year, so hicap mags WILL be available again.
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 2:08:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

[;)]
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 2:24:12 PM EDT
[#6]
ALL of my Glock mags have that date on them and I have bought them at different times. That date is the date that the stupid ban went in place, not the manufacture date.

Karl
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 2:30:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
ALL of my Glock mags have that date on them and I have bought them at different times. That date is the date that the stupid ban went in place, not the manufacture date.

Karl
View Quote

Really? That is the first ones I have ever seen like this. I guess you being LEO would have you seeing more of those restriced ones then I.

So what is the point of putting that exact date on them?
CH

BTW your right, it is a stupid ban.
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 2:34:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Karl
View Quote

Really?
View Quote

Yes. Really.
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 3:04:12 PM EDT
[#9]

So what is the point of putting that exact date on them?
CH

I have no idea other than marking them as post ban mags.

Karl
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 3:33:21 PM EDT
[#10]
They're legal.  If they don't say LE/Gov't only, they're good to go.
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 5:41:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not true.  If they are dated to indicate manufacture they are considered post-ban as well.
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 5:43:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Cape I dunno if you're LEO or not, but those are LEO mags.  That's how Glock marks (or did mark) all of their LEO mags.
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 6:50:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Cape I dunno if you're LEO or not, but those are LEO mags.  That's how Glock marks (or did mark) all of their LEO mags.
View Quote

Nope not LEO, just wondering about the date. I have seen MFG dates on other types of mags, just not the exact date of the AWB start.

It was almost like, well being teased! Fuckers!
CH
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 8:27:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Nope not LEO, just wondering about the date. I have seen MFG dates on other types of mags, just not the exact date of the AWB start.

CH
View Quote

Well, when you said picked up....

My point is, and someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but what you now have in your possesion are LEO-only magazines.  That is not the manufacture date, it is Glock's way of noting ALL of their LEO-only magazines.  Even mags made in 2000 (last time I worked in a shop selling new LEO-only mags) had the same date.

Unless you are LEO, what you "came by" are illegal for you to have.
If, what you mean is that you came across, but did not purchase, then OK, but like I said, it's not the actual manufacture date.
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 8:39:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Not true.  If they are dated to indicate manufacture they are considered post-ban as well.
View Quote
actly ATF has said to be a post ban mag it must say on it LAW ENFORCMENT,GOVERMENT OR EXPORT USE only on the magazine with or without a date or something to that effect a date alone does not make it a postban mag.

straight from ATF

(O15) What markings must appear on large capacity ammunition feeding devices manufactured after September 13, 1994? [Back]

Persons who import large capacity ammunition feeding devices manufactured after September 13, 1994, or manufacture large capacity ammunition feeding devices must legibly identify each device imported or manufactured by serial number and other prescribed markings. The same serial number may be used for all devices manufactured or imported. Such devices must also be marked "RESTRICTED LAW ENFORCEMENT/ GOVERNMENT USE ONLY" or, in the case of devices manufactured for export, "FOR EXPORT ONLY." Domestically made devices must also be marked with the name, city and state of the manufacturer. Imported devices must be marked with the same of the manufacturer, country of origin, and name, city and state of the importer. Persons who manufacture or import metallic links for use in the assembly of belted ammunition are only required to place the prescribed identification marks on the containers used for packaging the links. [18 U. S. C. 923( i), 27 CFR 178.92( c)]
View Quote
 [url]http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#o15[/url]
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 8:42:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote
actly ATF has said to be a post ban mag it must say on it LAW ENFORCMENT,GOVERMENT OR EXPORT USE only on the magazine with or without a date or something to that effect a date alone does not make it a postban mag.
View Quote

Is that a recent ruling?  I can't actually remember if the Glock mags said anything else, but I do know that they had the date of the ban printed on them. Maybe an LEO with mags could weigh in and enlighten all of us.
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 8:43:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Norman I edited my previus post to add the info straight from ATF's site.
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 8:52:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Norman I edited my previus post to add the info straight from ATF's site.
View Quote

From your above quote
Domestically made devices must also be marked with the name, city and state of the manufacturer.
View Quote

I would guess that Glock makes mags in Smyrna with the pistols, but I could be wrong.  If so it would appear that there's a seperate set of rules for imported mags as opposed to domestically manufactured.
This is making my head hurt, haha.
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 10:10:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Sorry, that law does not have a sunset provision. We're stuck with it until it is repealed.
View Quote

Once again, you are FULL OF SHIT. Do your parents know you're posting here?
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 11:21:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

CH
View Quote

Well, when you said picked up....

My point is, and someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but what you now have in your possesion are LEO-only magazines.  That is not the manufacture date, it is Glock's way of noting ALL of their LEO-only magazines.  Even mags made in 2000 (last time I worked in a shop selling new LEO-only mags) had the same date.

Unless you are LEO, what you "came by" are illegal for you to have.
If, what you mean is that you came across, but did not purchase, then OK, but like I said, it's not the actual manufacture date.
View Quote

Norman,
I am not in possesion of anything just seen them at a show and was curious. As I said in my first post;
Just a pointless rant that [red]those mags are out of my reach by one day, hours acutally[/red]
View Quote

Thought I would clear that up.

Still, the question remains why the exact date of the AWB?
CH
Link Posted: 11/29/2003 1:41:47 AM EDT
[#21]
I just looked at some of my mags. They are marked as follows.
9mm Restricted LE/Govt Only 9.13.94 Glock Inc. Smyrna GA

So I am guessing that all post ban Glock mags are marked with this date and that it is not a date of manuf. but just indicating post ban status.

[img]http://myweb.cableone.net/uziforme/glock18mags.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 11/29/2003 1:52:07 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

straight from ATF

(O15) What markings must appear on large capacity ammunition feeding devices manufactured after September 13, 1994? [Back]

Persons who import large capacity ammunition feeding devices manufactured after September 13, 1994, or manufacture large capacity ammunition feeding devices must legibly identify each device imported or manufactured by serial number and other prescribed markings. The same serial number may be used for all devices manufactured or imported. Such devices must also be marked "RESTRICTED LAW ENFORCEMENT/ GOVERNMENT USE ONLY" or, in the case of devices manufactured for export, "FOR EXPORT ONLY." Domestically made devices must also be marked with the name, city and state of the manufacturer. Imported devices must be marked with the same of the manufacturer, country of origin, and name, city and state of the importer. Persons who manufacture or import metallic links for use in the assembly of belted ammunition are only required to place the prescribed identification marks on the containers used for packaging the links. [18 U. S. C. 923( i), 27 CFR 178.92( c)]
View Quote
 [url]http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#o15[/url]
View Quote

I disagree with your interpretation of the ATF's FAQ.  That is referring only to the marking requirements for a manufacturer importer and not your defense from criminal liability.

18 USC s922(w)(4) says that in order to convict a person of possession large capacity ammunition feeding device when the person claims a magazine is a preban, "the Government shall have the burden of proof to show that [the high cap restriction in] paragraph (1) applies to such person. The lack of a [r]serial number[/r] as described in section 923(i) of this title shall be a presumption that the large capacity ammunition feeding device is not subject to the prohibition of possession in paragraph (1)."

Section 923(i) contains the marking requirements for large capacity ammunition feeding devices manufactured post-ban.  It states that "a large capacity ammunition feeding device manufactured after the date of the enactment of this sentence shall be identified by a serial number that clearly shows that the device was manufactured or imported after the effective date of this subsection, and such other identification as the Secretary may by regulation prescribe.

The markings mentioned in the ATF FAQ are required to be put on by a manufacturer/importer, but they do not have to be present to find a violation of 922(w).  [u]922(w) only requires that the serial number specified in 923(i) be on the magazine[/u].  In the case of Glock, the 9/13/94 marking is the serial number referred to.  

On a separate note, all postban glock mags I have seen have the LEO markings down the backside of the mag, although some unscrupulous types have milled off those marks.
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 7:33:34 AM EDT
[#23]
Ya think you can make that pic and BIGGER there David?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top