Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/11/2001 10:10:17 AM EDT
WTF is up with that yeah i know the Fbi withheld documents and all that but he Confessed! anyway what do you guys feel about this
Link Posted: 5/11/2001 10:16:05 AM EDT
[#1]
LET ME PULL THE F****** SWITCH.
Link Posted: 5/11/2001 10:17:53 AM EDT
[#2]
We don't leave it up to the accused to determine whether or not HE thinks he got a fair trial or not, but whether in light of all circumstances our criminal justice system upon a review of all relevant factors decides that the accused received a fair trial.

Some have said that this revelation was made because the Feds had gotten word that a whistleblower was about to come forward with the information on the bungled evidence release.

Whether that's true or not doesn't make any difference, except that what if this news was released [b]after May 16[/b], and McVeigh's execution!

We'd never hear the end of it!

Eric The Hun
Link Posted: 5/11/2001 10:30:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Don't let your outrage muddy the waters of your good judgement. Equal protection under the law for ALL! No one in his right mind would condone an act as heinous as the Oklahoma City bombing, but most everyone here is familiar with the constitution. If you start cutting corners on the trials that you don't like then you are headed down that slippery slope. He should be granted a stay of excecution untill all evidence can be judged. Same as for anyone else. Then do him.
Link Posted: 5/11/2001 10:41:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
WTF is up with that yeah i know the Fbi withheld documents and all that but he Confessed! anyway what do you guys feel about this
View Quote

They stay was the right thing to do. with the FBI screwing up, we are stuck with it. That blunder raised "Reasonable Doubt".
Link Posted: 5/11/2001 11:25:43 AM EDT
[#5]
I'd rather see Lon Horiuchi get the needle first.
Link Posted: 5/11/2001 1:47:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I'd rather see Lon Horiuchi get the needle first.
View Quote

I'll buy that.

No way in hell Tim would ever get a fair retrial after the public confession.  He was under great distress when he wrote the public confession.  Where are we gonna find a jury who has never heard about this guy's confession?  Looks like a mistrial.  He could, theoretically, walk.
Link Posted: 5/11/2001 1:56:46 PM EDT
[#7]
I think it would be a miscarriage of justice, but wouldn't it be ironic if the same bungling FBI that enraged McVeigh with their murders at Ruby Ridge and Waco somehow wound being responsible for sparing his life or even setting him free?
Link Posted: 5/11/2001 2:06:31 PM EDT
[#8]
The law is supposed to be impartial and consistent.  That goes for McVeigh, too.  O.J. walked.  McVeigh very well might.  Doubtful, but I'm concerned.

Here's a way-out lunatic-fringe conspiracy theory idea for ya:

What if McVeigh DOES walk?  And can't be retried for Double-jeopardy reasons?

Tony Blair's government (England) is proposing doing away with trial by jury and double-jeopardy protections.  The reason is that a killer was recently freed on a technicality because the police there f**cked up.  

Now, if McVeigh walks, what do you think the response of the great ignorant masses will be?

"Please, Mr. Congressman, strip me of my protections from Federal tyranny so that Timothy McVeigh can be retried and executed.  I trust you to never abuse that power in the future.  Our Founding Fathers were slave-owning, rich white guys who just KNEW that the system of government they set up could never work.  I'll hold out my hands nicely while you put on the chains."

If McVeigh DOES walk, you can bet your ass that will be the position of the liberal media.

Sometimes I scare myself.[puke]
Link Posted: 5/11/2001 2:28:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Was he ever tried in Oklahoma?
He could very well walk on the Federal charges. My gut feeling is he won't, but as someone pointed out earlier, a mistrial could result.
However, I do believe state charges are still an option.
Link Posted: 5/11/2001 2:28:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Why? the guy wants to die, he does'nt want the date changed.
Link Posted: 5/11/2001 2:36:41 PM EDT
[#11]
He's not going to walk. Apparently you guys haven't gotten the word -- we already lost our constitutional double jeopardy protection. In the unlikely case he got out of it at the federal level (and mistrial just means a new trial with the same result) he would still be tried another time for the same crime at the STATE level. Traditionally, and constitutionally, nearly all law enforcement is the responsibility of the state governments, after all.

Bye-bye Bill of Rights. Hello double jeopardy. Can you say Project Exile?
Link Posted: 5/11/2001 4:43:41 PM EDT
[#12]
fuzz: your are correct on the state chages except if they decided to left the feds override and handle the case then they might not be able to
Link Posted: 5/11/2001 8:59:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Hey, the scumbag confessed, so what if the feebs "forgot" to turn over some documents? Guy admitted he did it, and no cops beating him down to say it? What's the problem? Only problem I have is that they are eventually going to put him to sleep like an innocent dog or cat that didn't do anything except fail to evade animal control (no, I'm not an ALF commando, don't even like animals that much)A government sponsored overdose. Lab pure drugs. Instead of making old Tim Ride The Lightning To Hell...that is, a painful drawn out demise whether by electrocution or gas....even an old fashioned hanging, they plan to send him out on a cloud of sweet dreams. Bullshit.  No, not particularly bloodthirsty, but vile crimes deserve painful punishments, not only because that's what the perpetrator deserves, but for whatever deterrent effect if may have.
Link Posted: 5/12/2001 5:01:23 AM EDT
[#14]
There is no double jeapordy problem.  He was only tried and convicted of the murder of 6(?) federal agents.  He has never been tried for the other 162 murders. They come under state jurisdiction.
Link Posted: 5/12/2001 7:57:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Yeah, Tim will get a real sympathetic Oklahoma jury.

McVeigh is a coward. I agree with him as far as being pissed at the govt for what they did in Waco and Ruby Ridge. That's no excuse to blow up people that had nothing to do with that.
And especially no excuse whatsoever to blow up kids, even if they were the kids of the guys at Waco and Ruby Ridge, which these kids were not.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top