Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/24/2017 6:35:44 PM EDT
25 years ago at this time on this day, i was walking around my neighborhood after Hurricane Andrew had just finished coming through. 

The article below is from the 20th Anniversary , interviewing a few people who were my age when Andrew came through. 

Miami Herald Hurricane Andrew 20th Anniversary  

Interesting facts: 

Wind data was re-looked at in 2002, & it was stronger than initially reported at landfall. peak winds of 193mph on Aug 22. 

Largest traffic jam in FL history, on I-95 & Turnpike, stretched for 200 miles of people trying to evacuate. 

Waves of 16.9 feet at the Burger King headquarters in South Miami-Dade County. 

Wind gusts of 177mph at a home in Perrine (confirmed by data analysis Clemson University). 

Precipitation of 13.98 inches fell in the Everglades. 

Sustained winds of 127mph at Tamiami Airport. 

In Country Walk ( just south of the Tamiami Airport) F3-tornado-like damage was observed, mainly as a result of poor construction; winds between 130 and 150 mph were reported. 

Sustained winds of 142mph at Fowey Rocks Lighthouse off the coast of Cutler Bay. 

Homestead Air Force Reserve Base was severely damaged, & shuttered for a period of time (to open in a limited capacity some time later). 

Effects of Hurricane Andrew on Florida

At the time I lived off SW 88th St and SW 132nd Ave in Winston Park.

Link Posted: 8/24/2017 6:37:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Was living on Miami beach for Andrew.

About a minute walk from the sand.

It was pretty intense.

I remember the morning was sunny and clear.

End of the day was a shitshow.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 6:40:40 PM EDT
[#2]
I was in 5th grade.

I remember the teacher bringing in a newspaper with it on the front page. He talked about it for a few minutes to the class, that day.

ETA: It must have been right when school started in September. Because, obviously, school wasn't in session in August. Ooops.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 6:42:27 PM EDT
[#3]

Link Posted: 8/24/2017 6:45:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 6:46:02 PM EDT
[#5]
I remember Andrew because my Brother ( an aviation nut ) ranted and raved for a week about those F-16's not being flown out of harms way.
Maybe they were not airworthy at the time or perhaps no pilots were available.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 6:51:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Lived about 2-3 hrs north of there back then. I was in grade school then.

Thanks for the pictures, don't think I saw the Homestead ones before.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 6:51:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I was in 5th grade.

I remember the teacher bringing in a newspaper with it on the front page. He talked about it for a few minutes to the class, that day.
View Quote
I was the son of a cop. 

Our House was in Winston Park. Destroyed for the most part.

Dad went to Homestead to assist keeping the peace. I went with him since we didn't have a home and hung out at the CP. It looked like a war zone. Nothing was standing.... NOTHING. 

FL NG was busy as hell. Police as far away as Canada came and assisted. 

Looting and theft was common. My Grandparents' place survived so the family stayed there after the storm. I remember my Abuelo kept his S&W Model 64 on him and had the M1 Carbine within reach.

Here's the revolver.

I have it now. 

Here's a picture of the M1 Carbine from back in the day. 

Actually here's the armory he kept in the House.

Here he is years prior to the storm. He was sweet to us but was a tough SOB to anyone that looked at the family funny.

That's me and two of my cousins. 

Anyways..... Dad would be on Alpha Bravo Shift so the family (the cousins and I) would be with Abuelo and Abuela. 
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 6:54:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Why didn't the Air Force remove their aircraft from Homestead?
View Quote
That was my main thought going through the pics as well. Lol.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 6:58:59 PM EDT
[#9]
I will never forget how the wind sounded that night, I was 15 years old at the time. Up in the Miami Springs/Hialeah area we didn't get it as bad a Homestead. 9 days without power, good thing is my father was a Metro Dade Fire Fighter at the time so he got us free ice.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 7:03:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Why didn't the Air Force remove their aircraft from Homestead?  
View Quote
Everything at Homestead that could safely fly did fly out to Oklahoma City before Andrew hit.

The planes that couldn't be made ready to fly were all in hangars.  Not that it made any difference.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 7:09:20 PM EDT
[#11]
If those jets were facing into the wind and were on a treadmill, would they have taken off?

But on a more serious note, thanks for sharing.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 7:18:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Wow never saw those pictures before.  Plus I had no idea BK' s HQ is in Florida.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 7:19:43 PM EDT
[#13]
I was just about to start kindergarten at Calusa Elementary, lived in Country Walk at the time of the storm just off 152 st and 152 ave.

Andrew was one of my earliest memories that's still distinct. The howling of the wind, the carpet of the closet we were in starting to get damp, chinook helicopters in the air later that morning, seeing a dead dog floating facedown in the canal at my grandparents a few days later.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 7:20:45 PM EDT
[#14]
25 years ago today was the first time I flown a kite in a hurricane.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 7:24:10 PM EDT
[#15]
I was little back then, but I remember my dad took our motor home and a bunch of guys went with him down to Florida to help the relief effort.

He brought back a few cans of drinking water anheiser Busch was canning and giving to people in need as souvenirs. He still has one of them.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 7:29:12 PM EDT
[#16]
I remember the conspiracy stories of the government lying about the body count and hiding bodies in refrigerated trailers.  Great theory but why ?
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 7:32:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Wow never saw those pictures before.  Plus I had no idea BK' s HQ is in Florida.
View Quote

BK started in Miami
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 7:41:34 PM EDT
[#18]
I have a lot of pics from the Homestead area when my unit deployed there from Ft. Drum.  We brought our aircraft down there for support and stayed on the Air Force base in a tent for almost two months.

We handed out water and food from supply points around Homestead.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 7:50:27 PM EDT
[#19]
I had just finished high school earlier that summer. Was still living with mom and dad. We lost most of the roof, but the house held together otherwise, luckier than many. Lived near US1 and 114st.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 7:59:27 PM EDT
[#20]

Gotta love the humor in the last one.

Link Posted: 8/24/2017 8:00:02 PM EDT
[#21]
My name is Andrew.  My siblings and I had buried our mother the month before.  I remember greiving and thinking how ironic she passed four weeks before a major hurricane bearing her son's name.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 8:05:53 PM EDT
[#22]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
http://static.panoramio.com/photos/large/19301341.jpg

BK started in Miami
Jacksonville
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 8:11:18 PM EDT
[#23]
FL NG with M16A1s.

Link Posted: 8/24/2017 8:14:42 PM EDT
[#24]
Miami Metro Zoo. 

They kept the birds in the public restrooms.

Link Posted: 8/24/2017 8:19:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Andrew is largely the reason I live in Iowa. Was 5 during the storm...still remember a lot. We lived in Pompano Beach
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 8:25:31 PM EDT
[#26]

I believe that is a Glock.... even then they were fairly popular in South Florida due to City of Miami PD and Homestead PD issuing Glocks.

Link Posted: 8/24/2017 8:27:56 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Jacksonville
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

BK started in Miami
Jacksonville
Nope...  Jacksonville was not the site where Burger King was founded.

Insta-Burger King: 1953; 64 years ago Jacksonville, Florida

Burger King: 1954; 63 years ago Miami, Florida.

Two separate companies
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 8:28:34 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Here he is years prior to the storm. He was sweet to us but was a tough SOB to anyone that looked at the family funny.
View Quote
was your Abuelo the fellow who escaped Castro?  I've met a few fellows like that. Nice, gentlemenly, but HARD men.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 8:29:39 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
was your Abuelo the fellow who escaped Castro?  I've met a few fellows like that. Nice, gentlemenly, but HARD men.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yes, he escaped Castro. He's very much was a hard man. 
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 8:31:44 PM EDT
[#30]
Hah my uncle was in it.  He had to break into vending machines for food.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 8:34:34 PM EDT
[#31]
I lived a couple hours north back then. I remember boarding up the house with my Dad. I was young and didn't understand. I can remember my mom talking about how awful things were in Miami the next morning. I think school started the next day, IIRC.

ETA: Cool pics.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 8:39:28 PM EDT
[#32]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

BK started in Miami
BK started in Jacksonville Florida.

ETA... Name change official I guess. Nevermind.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 8:39:30 PM EDT
[#33]
MiamiJBT - your grandfather was training you and your cousin to be tail gunners.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 8:41:08 PM EDT
[#34]
Very cool photos!
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 8:43:16 PM EDT
[#35]
I remember seeing a news reporter go up to interview a little girl about 10 years old sitting in front of her destroyed home.  

The reporter starts to ask the girl about the looting that is going on.  Then the reporter notices the kid has a fucking Striker 12 ga sitting accross her lap.  The reporter asks the kid; "is that areal gun!?"  The kid holds up a 12 gauge shell and says "This is a real fucking bullet."  

Best pro-gun moment on the news ever.

I saw the clip again in a mash up of news footage from the aftermath, but I can't find it now to post.

EDIT: Fucking found it, 1 hour, 1 minute, 30 seconds into this video:  https://youtu.be/_6FixacAXlo?t=3690
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 8:45:49 PM EDT
[#36]
I was almost 8. I got teased a bit in school because my first name is Andrew. My uncle told me to embrace it, and when I did, it stopped. Imagine that
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 8:47:46 PM EDT
[#37]
Remember it well, we owned a mobile home park near Country Walk, that did not go so well. Miami put a moratorium on rebuilding mobile home parks so we sold the land. All the resident moved to our communities up here in WPB so it was good for us.

Two Metro Dade cops ended up in my area manning a road block. It was funny, they were lost and they asked where I was going and why I had an an AK on my pax seat. I was working in the ER so I was coming home home after curfew. I lived in Jupiter and asked where they were supposed to be, they said Stuart, lol. I told them that is 30 mins North and they took off like bat outta hell to get where they were assigned.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 8:48:35 PM EDT
[#38]
My oldest daughter was born 2357 on the 23rd, aboit six hours before Andrew hit our home in Plantation.  My wife was in the hospital and I was securing the house.  We were fortunate and only lost part of our roof.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 8:51:42 PM EDT
[#39]
I was in Almeria, Spain.

My parents were living in Weston.

They had some homes there destroyed, my parents barely lost roof tiles.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 8:53:54 PM EDT
[#40]
Great thread

I was a kid back then on the west coast but remember it all over the news
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 9:02:37 PM EDT
[#41]
I was in my late 30's and remember it like it was yesterday. 
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 9:14:26 PM EDT
[#42]
I lived in Tampa a year later and worked for Skil/Bosch Power Tools. I was sent down to Miami to do a product reset at a "new" Home Depot in Cutler Ridge. It had actually had it's grand opening a couple of days before Andrew hit, and the storm blew all of the merchandise out of the front doors and into the parking lot. They piled up all the contents of the store in a big pile with front end loaders. I'll never forget the drive down to Cutler Ridge and the damage was still visible a year later. When you drove up on an overpass and you could see about a mile in every direction, most houses had new roofs, but one in 5 I bet was just hollow concrete block walls and no roof trusses or decking. It was unreal.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 9:21:02 PM EDT
[#43]
Thanks for the reminder.  I was in Stuart at the time.  Went down about a while after with a group for relief.  I remember seeing the trees mostly.  Started straight, then as we got closer started slanting more and more, then basically flat.  Came around a turn in the road and it was war zone.  Fighters flying overhead, an eerie quiet in typical suburban areas, but people trying to do their best to recover.

Saw a church.  Roof ripped off, chairs and pews strewn about, but the small altar and the cross standing firm in the middle of it all undamaged.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 9:51:10 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
MiamiJBT - your grandfather was training you and your cousin to be tail gunners.
View Quote
He was a tough SOB but damn did he have a soft spot for use grandkids. 

Abuelo gave my cousin and I the toys AR-10s. I lugged that thing around with me EVERYWHERE until I grew older and got a Red Ryder BB Gun. 

I remember I have a Duckblind Camo Pathfinder Hat and I'd "storm" the beach at South Beach wearing it and carrying the toy AR-10.

It was very similar to this hat.

Link Posted: 8/24/2017 9:52:29 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I remember seeing a news reporter go up to interview a little girl about 10 years old sitting in front of her destroyed home.  

The reporter starts to ask the girl about the looting that is going on.  Then the reporter notices the kid has a fucking Striker 12 ga sitting accross her lap.  The reporter asks the kid; "is that areal gun!?"  The kid holds up a 12 gauge shell and says "This is a real fucking bullet."  

Best pro-gun moment on the news ever.

I saw the clip again in a mash up of news footage from the aftermath, but I can't find it now to post.

EDIT: Fucking found it, 1 hour, 1 minute, 30 seconds into this video:  https://youtu.be/_6FixacAXlo?t=3690
View Quote
LOVE IT!

Hurricane Andrew: As It Happened

EDIT TO ADD

MY FATHER IS IN THAT FOOTAGE GOING AFTER MOTHER FUCKING LOOTERS AND HOLDING 'EM AT GUN POINT!!!
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 9:56:56 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Nope...  Jacksonville was not the site where Burger King was founded.

Insta-Burger King: 1953; 64 years ago Jacksonville, Florida

Burger King: 1954; 63 years ago Miami, Florida.

Two separate companies
View Quote
Same difference

Good thread. Some of those pictures I have never seen before.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 10:03:56 PM EDT
[#47]

Link Posted: 8/24/2017 10:12:10 PM EDT
[#48]
I was 21 and worked for Blockbuster Entertainment. My mom lived in Margate and I lived a block west of US-1 in Ft Lauderdale, about four blocks from Blockbuster Headquarters. I spent two days before the storm driving around with a truck full of plywood covering up the windows on all the BB stores on Federal Highway. After the storm hit I got a call from Jim Farley asking if a few of the managers would mind camping out in the stores to keep out looters.

First night some BSO deputies almost shot me, thinking I was a looter, but a Sgt showed up who I knew and he vouched for me.  No power for a week and pitch black in the store and assholes were showing up, banging on the glass, wanting to somehow rent videos. Third day I got to fly in a 500D with Steve  Berrard and Wayne Huizenga down to S. Miami, I remember we flew past the old Hudsons building and saw a Blockbuster with the roof caved in and two feet of standing water inside the store. Total loss.

Avocado tree fell through the roof of my mom's house. Ate avocados for a damn month.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 10:13:17 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote
Lol. Didn't realize Lootie was in Miami before he went to Nola. 
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 10:16:01 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Waves of 16.9 feet at the Burger King headquarters in South Miami-Dade County. 
View Quote
Wow!

I bet they had to get out the top secret "Whopper Flotation Devices" that only Burger King executives can access!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top