Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/20/2017 7:48:38 PM EDT
Honestly I feel sorry for you.

Recommended a show (Strike Back) that has a female lead in Spec Ops role recently to a relative and he claimed he had to turn it off because "no female anywhere in the world would be on a team like that"

Same thing for the recent Dunkirk and Alien Covenant threads we've had recently....

I don't quite get what it is that doesn't allow some of you to just sit back and be entertained.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 8:14:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Eh, people on this site are real detail oriented and someone on this site has probably worked at or near every job that has existed on this planet for the last fifty years. Inside that Venn diagram are a pack of detail oriented nerds who like to bitch about everything. They can't be entertained!
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 8:34:11 PM EDT
[#2]

I don't quite get what it is that doesn't allow some of you to just sit back and be entertained.
View Quote

Im pretty sure alot and of dead romans said the same
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 8:37:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote

Asperger's is a mothafucka.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 8:39:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 11:27:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Early on in The Defenders Daredevil attacks two shopkeepers who are about to shoot fleeing looters and says "They're just kids!" 

My first thought was "arfcom won't like that!"
View Quote
Damn straight!
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 11:28:25 PM EDT
[#6]
You should feel bad for me.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 11:31:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Every time we hear a character cock a glock some family member looks at me and says "WE KNOW."  That's gotta be a common thing here.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 11:33:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Early on in The Defenders Daredevil attacks two shopkeepers who are about to shoot fleeing looters and says "They're just kids!" 

My first thought was "arfcom won't like that!"
View Quote
I just figured that was a New York thing.

Link Posted: 8/20/2017 11:36:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Recommended a show (Strike Back) that has a female lead in Spec Ops role recently to a relative and he claimed he had to turn it off because "no female anywhere in the world would be on a team like that"
View Quote

I'd turn it off for the same fucking reason.
And then say fuck you to the asshole who recommended it.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 11:42:03 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm OP's description, I just don't find enjoyment in totally fabricated drama.  It makes no sense to me.

Top Gun- not a true story, but fighter jets are cool as shit and do exist.

Avengers- not a true story, but super powers don't exist and thus I hate that shit.

Also, Hollywood is full or weird fuckers that want endorse things I don't find palatable.  Why would I give them my money?
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 11:42:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Some movies I prefer realism. I was disappointed in johnwick 2 and much prefer movies like collateral.

Movies with supernatural, dragons, etc. is completely different though
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 11:45:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Just watched Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2

It was great entertainment
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 11:48:43 PM EDT
[#13]
I watch b-movies. A movie has to be completely ridiculous and awful for me to stop watching it.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 11:49:27 PM EDT
[#14]
It comes down to the movie.  If it makes the story better, I don't mind a little fiction.   If it done for political purposes, it sucks.

Having soldiers march to close together furthers the story line. It allows them to converse and be in the camera view.

OTOH, Take Ozark.  The whole homosexual theme was done for political purpose.  If they had made the FBI agent a female or make his contact a female the story would have been way better and more believable.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 11:50:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Every time we hear a character cock a glock some family member looks at me and says "WE KNOW."  That's gotta be a common thing here.
View Quote
That explains why so many people here like the Monster Hunter books.   I guess as long as the gun parts are error-free, not much else matters.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 11:54:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Hollywood producers, for the most part, produce crap which their deluded selves consider to be some kind of exemplary art to be treasured by society when really it is just crap.  OP should feel badly for posting this.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 11:55:44 PM EDT
[#17]
It really depends on the movie. If it's pure fantasy it's fine. If they make a half-assed attempt to be real, as soon
as they mess something up, it takes me right out of the suspension of disbelief.

There was a movie that came out recently, "The Space Between Us" about a kid born on Mars. They took
great pains to make the mission and the habitat on Mars realisitic, and I was with the movie through that point.
Then they have the kid messaging someone on earth in real time and it utterly destroyed the movie, so bad
I had to turn it off.

For people they call it the "uncanny valley." Basically, when it's real enough to be plausible and not real enough
to be possible, they lose me. I'm sure it's the same thing with the spec ops example.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 11:59:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Meh, books are better.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 11:59:46 PM EDT
[#19]
OP, if you're entertained by SJW type  shows described in your post then I have to believe that you are equally entertained by masturbating monkeys.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 12:01:54 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote
Same thing with me.  Can't stand that.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 12:14:04 AM EDT
[#21]
depends on the movie.  if BHD included sylvester stallone spraying headshots with an m60, it would be fucking stupid.

OTOH, the action in 5th element is great, because that's the kind of movie it is.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 12:20:41 AM EDT
[#22]
Time Bandits fucking nailed it.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 12:20:55 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Honestly I feel sorry for you.

Same thing for the recent Dunkirk and Alien Covenant threads we've had recently....

View Quote

Why feel sorry for us? It isn't like we're sitting around lamentingvthe fact that we aren't entertained by crap script writing.

In fact, I feel sorry for the people that like crap script writing. And that think Bud Light is good beer.

But to each their own.

Link Posted: 8/21/2017 12:31:34 AM EDT
[#24]
For me it depends entirely on what kind of movie I'm watching.  If it's magic/fantasy stuff I don't really expect anything to be realistically plausible, and I'm not bothered when things are unbelievable.  If it's a movie which supposedly could take place in our world, then yeah, I expect a certain amount of plausibility.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 12:38:05 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
depends on the movie.  if BHD included sylvester stallone spraying headshots with an m60, it would be fucking stupid.

OTOH, the action in 5th element is great, because that's the kind of movie it is.
View Quote
We have a WINNER!
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 12:42:27 AM EDT
[#26]
If it's sci-fi or fantasy it doesn't bother me at all.  It does when they are striving to be realistic.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 12:46:37 AM EDT
[#27]
For me it's just a case by case basis. Some things just feel wrong and can ruin a scene or entire movie.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 12:46:55 AM EDT
[#28]
I have a hard time watching movies when one of the main characters is played by an outspoken liberal which fights to trample on my gun rights, or other basic freedoms.

Jason Bourne, Atomic Blonde,  and Taken are hypocritical movies in which the lead actor openly hates guns, but is a gun slinging hero. It's hard for me to buy the story when I think of Jason Bourne a pussy terrified of guns, and he's holding it wrong. His/her acting skills need to be stronger than my prejudice against them for their role in politics.

Brad pitt and Angelina? Last I heard they're into guns. I assume they're liberals but they aren't very outspoken and I haven't seen them on stage with FHRC. They're acting is good, so when I see either of them on the TV I can beleive their character for the purpose of a movie.
For me Matt Damon is never in character. No matter how badass his kung fu moves are, he still looks like a gun grabbing pussy to me.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 12:48:22 AM EDT
[#29]
I used to be big into military modelling. I can't not notice mistakes in vehicle equipment from WW2. It doesn't ruin movies, but it takes me out of the moment.

I can't help it, I just accept it.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 12:49:21 AM EDT
[#30]
I like the buddy pics with dogs as partners.  Funnier.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 12:51:13 AM EDT
[#31]
For me it depends on the movie. A mindless action movie like something along the lines of Crank, I can enjoy it for what it is. But if a movie tries to take itself more seriously I tend to me more critical of it.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 12:52:36 AM EDT
[#32]
dupe
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 1:19:55 AM EDT
[#33]
It's about immersion. Unpredictability.

Watching good guys karate chop their way out of a zombie horde makes me subconsciously feel like I'm watching someone play Legos or action figures vs being immersed into a different reality where unpredictable actions have unpredictable consequences.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 1:26:14 AM EDT
[#34]
This thread reminds me of something....

Link Posted: 8/21/2017 2:06:44 AM EDT
[#35]
I'm guilty.  And I've made my son the same way, and slowly bringing my wife over.

Makes it fun to watch the movie (well, fun for us).

Spot the Bullshit is a game the whole family can play.

Performing in a manner in which no normal person would ever perform screams lazy writing to me, and I call it when I see it.

...don't get me started on Alien Covenant.  
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 2:33:21 AM EDT
[#36]
I think your relative would hate Die Hard
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 3:11:58 AM EDT
[#37]
I'm an incurable movie buff who can enjoy the surrealism of sci-fi, but seeing the hardened characters in the crime film Harsh Times gush over a Ruger P94 like it was some kind of prestigious, desirable pistol was too much for me. I couldn't even imagine that happening in alternate universes.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 3:14:22 AM EDT
[#38]
So GI Jane was a good movie?
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 3:23:02 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
You should feel bad for me.
View Quote
Same.

Incorrect details =half assing
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 3:52:43 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Hollywood producers, for the most part, produce crap which their deluded selves consider to be some kind of exemplary art to be treasured by society when really it is just crap.  OP should feel badly for posting this.
View Quote
Nope...I watch something to be entertained/escape/unwind for a few hours.  I don't watch any show or movie and expect to have it be realistic when it comes to technical details or anything else...why? because it's a movie..A movie has to be below B movie grade for me to turn it off...

Also reading some of the rationalizations on here is funny..John Wick 2..not ok because it wasn't real enough..However shows with Dragons and Aliens?  Sure....why not.

Whats that autistic scream thing ? RHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE ?  I suspect a bunch of of folks here and elsewhere point at their tv and make that noise when something not real happens.  
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 6:21:24 AM EDT
[#41]
I'm all over the place when it comes to that, OP.

I can watch 'Galaxy Quest' and easily accept sex scenes with multi-tentacled shape-shifters, alien monsters made of boulders, and Sigourney Weaver trying to act.

The 'click' of a Glock safety in the first episode of The Walking Dead about drove me up a wall.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 6:35:32 AM EDT
[#42]
when did every when hate Strike Back that was my favourite show when it was out, so was Banshee..
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 6:50:50 AM EDT
[#43]
It's the shows that fuck up all the details that kill me...

For example - Comrade Detective - the Amazon Prime "Romanian Cop" show set in the 80s, in communist Romania. A complete take on the propaganda shows at the time. I watched the first episode, it was hysterical. What killed it for me:

The money used in the show was modern US bills - they didn't exist when the show was supposed to take place
When sitting at the American Embassy and the guy picks up a Guns & Ammo mag...right there, plain as day, is an ad for a Kimber (which didn't come around until the 90s)...wearing a set of Crimson Trace laser grips (which sure as shit didn't exist in that form factor in the 80s)

Those were just the two that lept to the front of my mind, there were a ton of other tiny little things.

I'll probably watch the rest of the series just to pick out the STUPID DETAIL MISSES like that, but it's stupid shit like that that ruins things for me I mean, it's not like it's a hard reach to get 80s period US currency copies, or to find an old 80s G&A mag...
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 6:55:00 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

That explains why so many people here like the Monster Hunter books.   I guess as long as the gun parts are error-free, not much else matters.
View Quote
I love those book but IMO the gun parts are just a bit too in the weeds for even me
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 7:00:03 AM EDT
[#45]
Movies like Dunkirk and Band of Brothers better have their shit on point.  Same goes for any movie with an aircraft theme of any type.

SciFi movies, meh, it is fiction so I don't care nearly as much.  

I tend to overlook fight scenes in most movies because they have all gotten so over the top.  One lick like they give in the movies would kill a human most of the time.  If I want a real fist fight I just turn on COPS.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 7:00:50 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I can watch 'Galaxy Quest' and easily accept sex scenes with multi-tentacled shape-shifters, alien monsters made of boulders, and Sigourney Weaver trying to act.

The 'click' of a Glock safety in the first episode of The Walking Dead about drove me up a wall.
View Quote
On the walking dead, just the sound would have been bad, but whatever. The fact that they made a spectacle of it by reminding him about the safety, then having to fake it since there wasn't one just amped it up to 10 on the retarded scale.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 7:04:32 AM EDT
[#47]
It's called "willing suspension of disbelief".  For entertainment to allow critical thinkers to make that willing suspension, there must be good cause.  

Take Star Wars: A New Hope (Ep. IV).  We understand that it's science fantasy and don't expect anything resembling realism, so as long as the story itself is internally consistent (e.g. Luke doesn't raise his hands and start flying around Tatooine) the willing suspension is easy.

Take a show based on relatively modern military and have someone make a 1,000 yd shot with a recoilless pistol that completely explodes the target and people will balk.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 7:05:13 AM EDT
[#48]
Suspension of disbelief can only go so far.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 10:27:10 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
On the walking dead, just the sound would have been bad, but whatever. The fact that they made a spectacle of it by reminding him about the safety, then having to fake it since there wasn't one just amped it up to 10 on the retarded scale.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I remember the first episode when he checked to see if it was loaded, and the guy pulled the slide back to look into an empty chamber.
Or one of the last two seasons where one of the teens was shown a glock, and the guy teaching him how to use it was explaining the parts of a 1911 (thumb safety, grip safety, etc.)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top