Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 13
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 11:53:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Damn hope the missing sailors are able to be rescued.

Turns out this was the 4th incident this year according to Fake news site CNN...

http://www.cnn.com/2017/08/20/asia/us-navy-destroyer-collision-singapore/index.html

On June 17, the USS Fitzgerald collided with a container ship off the coast of Japan. That collision resulted in the deaths of seven US sailors. It will be transported to the US for repairs.
On May 9, the guided-missile cruiser USS Lake Champlain was struck by a small fishing boat off the Korean Peninsula.
And in late January, the guided-missile cruiser USS Antietam ran aground while trying to anchor in Tokyo Bay.
View Quote
I was not aware of the USS Lake Champlain or the USS Antietam

It seams to me that training has been lacking in the USN (for roughly 8 years I would guess) and needs to be corrected.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 11:54:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Aft IC hatch is right next to the berthing 5 entrance.  One level up is berthing three and what was used as a mini gym on the DDG I was on.  Above that is the main deck if I remember correctly.
View Quote
I believe you're correct.

That IC space gets cold as fuck in there.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 12:04:31 AM EDT
[#3]
That's sad and nuts that this happened again so soon.

Question:  How would a WWII era destroyer with several inches of armour plate and probably more steel plate throughout it's structure, take ship collisions like this?  

As I understand it, there is basically no reason to build the ships with heavy armor because missiles can easily punch through it, but what about things like general durability in bad seas and impacts like this?

Out of curiousity, do our modern ships have thicker hulls than civilian vessels of similar size?  I remember reading they use kevlar to add protrction.  I can't help but feel that the navy went too far the other way choosing lightness/speed over armor and weapons.  idk
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 12:05:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Maybe the Chinese have learned how to spoof the nav systems.  Or maybe some sailors just need to do their jobs right.
View Quote
The drive had an article on just that topic last week. Russia appears to have the ability to confuse gps instead of jamming it
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 12:13:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I really don't think it is a coincidence, or an accident.

It's probably easy to sabotage with a small merchant vessel and make it appear accidental.
View Quote
LOL

Given the speed and maneuverability advantage the USS McCain has, they should have been able to avoid the collision even if the merchant vessel was deliberately bearing down on them.  Even if the McCain was the stand-on vessel it still has the obligation to avoid a collision.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 12:14:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Some of you fuck sticks are so caught up in your political narratives that you forgot about 10 missing USN sailors because you are too busy to tripping over yourselves to scream that this is Obama's fault or to shit on John McCain III (ship is named after I)
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 12:14:55 AM EDT
[#8]
I seem to recall the Ingersoll took a hard hit in or around that area in the 90's.

Busy sea lanes for sure.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 12:18:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Some of you fuck sticks are so caught up in your political narratives that you forgot about 10 missing USN sailors because you are too busy to tripping over yourselves to scream that this is Obama's fault or to shit on John McCain III (ship is named after I)
View Quote
I've said this about 4 times in this thread already. Fuck 'em.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 12:19:46 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Aft IC hatch is right next to the berthing 5 entrance.  One level up is berthing three and what was used as a mini gym on the DDG I was on.  Above that is the main deck if I remember correctly.

It wasn't bad. We kept a mini cot behind the IVCS switchboard. The FC space we would go to get cathodadic protection readings was cold as fuck.  It's a shitty feeling seeing two Flight I DDGs get hit, especially near its berthing areas.  Prayers go out to all hands on board.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 12:22:10 AM EDT
[#11]
Damn just saw where there are missing and injured sailors.  Didn't think from the original article this was that serious.  
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 12:22:10 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
News flash; asside from prayer there isn't anything most of us can reasonably do about those guys.
We don't have to virtue signal like crazy as if we are libs.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 12:22:48 AM EDT
[#13]
SOUTH CHINA SEA (NNS) -- UPDATE POSTED AUG. 20, 11:31 P.M. (EDT)

The guided-missile destroyer USS John S. McCain (DDG 56) was involved in a collision with the merchant vessel Alnic MC while underway east of the Straits of Malacca and Singapore on Aug. 21.

There are currently 10 Sailors missing and five injured. Four of the injured were medically evacuated by a Republic of Singapore Navy Puma helicopter to a hospital in Singapore for non-life threatening injuries. The fifth injured Sailor does not require further medical attention.

A family assistance center has been established. Families can call 011-81-46-816-1728 (international) or 243-1728 (DSN on base).

The collision was reported at 6:24 a.m. Japan Standard Time, while the ship was transiting to a routine port visit in Singapore.

The ship is currently sailing under its own power and heading to Changi Naval Base. At this point, no fuel or oil is visible on the water's surface near the ship.

Search and rescue efforts are underway in coordination with local authorities. In addition to tug boats out of Singapore, RSN Fearless-class patrol ships RSS Gallant (97), RSS Resilience (82), RSN helicopters and Singaporean Police Coast Guard vessel Basking Shark (55) are currently in the area to render assistance.

An MH-60S helicopter from the amphibious assault ship USS America (LHA 6) are in the area providing search and rescue assistance. An additional MH-60S helicopter and MV-22 Osprey are expected to arrive soon.

Alnic MC is a Liberian-flagged 600-foot oil and chemical tanker with a gross tonnage of 30,000.

Initial reports indicate John S. McCain sustained damage to her port side aft. Damage control efforts continue while the extent of damage is being determined. The incident will be investigated.

More information to follow.

http://www.navy.mil/submit/display.asp?story_id=102034
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 12:23:34 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

News flash; asside from prayer there isn't anything most of us can reasonably do about those guys.
View Quote
What do you call turning a tragedy into an opportunity to promote your political narrative?

I call it being a fucking asshole.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 12:26:54 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
You could start by showing some respect for those who most likely died to protect you.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 12:27:08 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote
That same statement about being too caught up in the political narrative to remember the troops would apply to the armed forces command structure in general. How do you think this stuff happens in the first place? Taxpayers are tired of the government waving their dick around telling everyone how important they are and the military is no exception. This is a direct result of SHARP and all the other social justice bullshit that did not leave adequate time for military skills training. Combined with politicians in uniform pretending to be military leaders this policy is deadly. Also fuck Ray Mabus just for good measure.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 12:27:13 AM EDT
[#17]
Tag.

Hope the swimmers find some of those kids.

Thanks for the info from our Naval vets.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 12:34:08 AM EDT
[#18]
Should be an open and shut case..the witnesses will sing like birds.

Edit: posted before reading the story....in all seriousness...prayers, for the missing, and wounded.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 12:35:14 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Question:  How would a WWII era destroyer with several inches of armour plate and probably more steel plate throughout it's structure, take ship collisions like this?  

As I understand it, there is basically no reason to build the ships with heavy armor because missiles can easily punch through it, but what about things like general durability in bad seas and impacts like this?

Out of curiousity, do our modern ships have thicker hulls than civilian vessels of similar size?  I remember reading they use kevlar to add protrction.  I can't help but feel that the navy went too far the other way choosing lightness/speed over armor and weapons.  idk
View Quote
WWII Destroyers didn't have armor plate essentially at all, much less several inches.

A number of WWII-era Destroyers were cut in half by collisions with larger ships. For instance, the Frank E. Evans (Sumner-class) was cut in half by the HMAS Melbourne (Majestic class light carrier)

Melbourne was a significantly smaller ship than either of the ships that have been involved in these collisions recently. (Of course, Burkes are much larger than Sumners, too...)
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 12:41:02 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote
A WWII destroyer would have likely broken in half and sunk
They were much smaller than even a modern coast guard cutter. I don't think they even had an armor  belt unless you count 3/8" hull plating.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 12:41:06 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Fuck collision, that looks like a ramming.
View Quote
If it was ramming the ship would have cut in half.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 12:42:58 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
You could start by showing some respect for those who most likely died to protect you.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think he's reverse virtue signaling.

Fingers crossed for the best.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 12:44:36 AM EDT
[#23]
Too many ships....too little water.

Chinese are involved? Yes. It's the end of August and the start of Christmas shipping.

Lotsa stuff beginning to move.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 12:47:11 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Everyone is blaming the Navy ship (as of pg 2), but what if some idiot civi crew decided to drink and play xbox and went into them? The damage seems consistant with someone else hitting them. 
View Quote
Large tankers aren't manoeuvrable. You move out of it path or get hit.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 12:54:47 AM EDT
[#25]
@ winstonsmith

That's how you fucking answer a question so other ignorant to the subject can fucking instantly understand.

Out standing sir...

Join date post count of mine
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 12:58:24 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
He has a boat named after him?
View Quote
Technically named after his Daddy and Granddaddy, the Admirals.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 1:08:02 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Turns out this was the 4th incident this year according to Fake news site CNN...
View Quote
Maybe it was a Charlottesville copycat collision!  
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 1:11:38 AM EDT
[#29]
Strait of Malacca is pucker factor 10.

Godspeed shipmates.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 1:16:39 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

How do you know the crew didn't do everything reasonably expected of them to avoid this collision?
View Quote
For starters because they hit another ship.

I can navigate big city rush traffic and expect my Navy to be able to operate in any ocean on the planet.

Unacceptable.

Thanks Obama.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 1:20:15 AM EDT
[#31]
Was the senator at the wheel?

Ed
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 1:29:33 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
There comes a point where a multi-million dollar war vessel should be able to eyeball it coming and step on the gas to get out of the way of what is more or less a cow trundling along through the ocean.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Everyone is blaming the Navy ship (as of pg 2), but what if some idiot civi crew decided to drink and play xbox and went into them? The damage seems consistant with someone else hitting them. 
There comes a point where a multi-million dollar war vessel should be able to eyeball it coming and step on the gas to get out of the way of what is more or less a cow trundling along through the ocean.
this
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 1:31:36 AM EDT
[#33]
2hrs since last update from Navy. Figuring the worst for the missing sailors.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 1:41:29 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote
So 10 sailors missing means this bullshit is some how acceptable?

I expect my Navy paid for with my tax dollars to be able to navigate any and all Oceans on the planet.

Obummer gutted Mil leadership and those chickens are coming home to roost.

10 missing sailors only adds tremendously to the disaster, it does make this shit acceptable or cool.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 1:44:25 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Shit Johnie Wet Start has ship named after him. Caused the death of 154 sailors on the USS Forestall and a traitor to the POW/MIA cause. and a North Vietnamese informant know as the "SONG BIRD"....no wonder this country is screwed with idiots like that in Congress...! Nothing but a POS RHINO who sleeps with Soros and any muslum for a dollar donation to his McCain FOUNDATION slush fund....
View Quote
FFS, this has been covered in ever single "McStain is a shithead" thread on this board.  He did NOT cause that incident in any way.  He was sitting in the cockpit of the plane NEXT TO the one that GOT HIT by the Zuni.

He's an asshole for sure, but his assholeness doesn't need gilding.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 1:48:10 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
He has a boat named after him?
View Quote
Is this a joke?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 1:52:05 AM EDT
[#37]
We went through the Shimonoseki Strait a couple of times and that was scary as anything we ever did.  This was before more modern navigation systems, as in just one surface search radar.  Really.  We didn't get a Raytheon but it was planned for us to augment the SPS-10.  So repeaters were used for tracking contacts and navigating off the same radar.  You couldn't track all the contacts and you had to depend on no one else doing anything completely insane.  And like city traffic, there are never any accidents.  Because everybody is that good and there are no mechanical failures.  Ever.  Of course, we all know accidents happen in traffic all the time for a variety of reasons.  So no way to tell what happened yet.  Although I'd guess there were some people failures (perhaps on both ships) as opposed to mechanical or electronic system "failures."  After I got out, I know my ship was involved in a collision in a high traffic area.  I'd expect they had an augmented watch in this area and the impact point suggests several scenarios but it's all guessing now.

What we do know is there injured and missing sailors.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 1:55:16 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote
same outcome as the Fitz is likely, poor guys sacked out and the deck watch murders them, hope I'm wrong

when watertight doors are sealed is there any air supply to Berthing? I understand the need to prevent flooding but say the boys were just trapped behind a flooded compartment (if this is even possible on a Burke?), would they run out of oxygen similar to the Kursk?
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 1:58:06 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 1:59:26 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
same outcome as the Fitz is likely, poor guys sacked out and the deck watch murders them, hope I'm wrong

when watertight doors are sealed is there any air supply to Berthing? I understand the need to prevent flooding but say the boys were just trapped behind a flooded compartment (if this is even possible on a Burke?), would they run out of oxygen similar to the Kursk?
View Quote
The Navy hasn't actually told us what happened on the Fitz and it probably won't tell us what happened here.
'The navy says that them thar ship lookers didn't do their job an the capn' was a sleepin so he done need fired also caus was bad shippin'
Ya, right. The Navy hasn't told us shit because they don't want anyone to know for sure what happened.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 2:05:05 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Massive floating drilling rig, generally speaking.  I was part of a design team for one.  They don't move easily.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Floating drilling rig
Massive floating drilling rig, generally speaking.  I was part of a design team for one.  They don't move easily.
Good ole days...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 2:14:41 AM EDT
[#42]
This is a bad movie plot.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 2:17:56 AM EDT
[#43]
Tomorrow Never Dies - South China Sea
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 2:56:07 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

For starters because they hit another ship.

I can navigate big city rush traffic and expect my Navy to be able to operate in any ocean on the planet.

Unacceptable.

Thanks Obama.
View Quote
An airplane crashes and it's automatically because the pilot fucked up?
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 3:12:44 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Occupied compartments aren't completely sealed off under normal conditions, so it might be possible that a compartment will eventually have all the doors and scuttles (and venting, etc.) dogged down, that's not going to be done with personnel still in place unless under the worst possible circumstances.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 3:16:37 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I expect my Navy paid for with my tax dollars to be able to navigate any and all Oceans on the planet.

10 missing sailors only adds tremendously to the disaster, it does make this shit acceptable or cool.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you for your input, you know nothing.  The President has nothing to do with choosing anyone O-6 on down in the military, and the CO of a DDG is an O-5.  So take your political bullshit and shove it.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 3:18:04 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
The Navy hasn't actually told us what happened on the Fitz and it probably won't tell us what happened here.
'The navy says that them thar ship lookers didn't do their job an the capn' was a sleepin so he done need fired also caus was bad shippin'
Ya, right. The Navy hasn't told us shit because they don't want anyone to know for sure what happened.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Navy always tells us what happened, they just haven't yet.

We are the most transparent of all the services in our investigations.  Investigations take time and people's rights have to be preserved as fact-finding is done.  Once it's done, most Navy investigations are released in some form, if not the results from them are publicly explained.  We don't cover shit up.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 3:23:32 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 3:45:50 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 4:47:08 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
We are the most transparent of all the services.
View Quote
Page / 13
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top