Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 8/20/2017 3:04:00 PM EDT
http://medicaleconomics.modernmedicine.com/medical-economics/news/healthcare-collective-right-or-individual-privilege

"10 commandments of healthcare

1. Health insurance is not healthcare.

2. Health insurance is not health.

3. Health insurance is not a right.

4. Healthcare is not a right.

5. Healthcare is not health.

6. Health is not a right.

7. Individuals are smartest and healthiest when self-motivated to do so by natural consequences.

8. No individual should be obligated to work for free or be extorted by federal government force majeure to purchase items or services for others.

9. Government regulations and third-party reimbursement increases costs and decreases efficiency.

10. Direct patient pay for free market competing services is most efficient, cost effective and promotes excellence."
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 3:05:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Yep. 
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 3:10:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Missing footage: Rand Paul "Right to Healthcare" would result in slavery for doctors.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 3:11:48 PM EDT
[#3]
As a libertarian I believe it is personal responsibility.

As a nurse I believe that public health is vital to a functioning society.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 3:12:24 PM EDT
[#4]
FBHO
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 3:13:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Racist!
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 3:14:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Pretty sure GD has already figured this out several times.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 3:15:30 PM EDT
[#7]
You do not have the right to someone else's labor.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 3:18:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Both choices suck (excepting pie).
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 3:18:20 PM EDT
[#9]
neither... it's a service
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 3:22:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Assuming that healthcare is a right at all (which is debatable - do I have the right to seek medical care - yes, does someone else have the obligation to provide that care, free of charge, if I cannot or choose not to pay for it?), I don't see how it could be a group right.  Health involves the individual, not some group.  You could argue that health INSURANCE is a group right if it is obtained via (for instance) collective bargaining on a contract, but even then the individual health care involved would become an individual right for the insured.

Mike
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 3:22:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Specious poll - it's neither.  Healthcare is not a privilege, it's a product; if you pay for it, you can get some.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 3:25:45 PM EDT
[#12]
People have a right to have access to healthcare, they do not have a right to have health insurance provided to them.

We need do some things we don't like in terms of risk sharing for those with pre-existing conditions. They should pay more as well.

People that have the means to pay for health insurance and elect not to DO NOT have a right to ask the rest of us to pay for them to be cared for.  They should face the ordinary consequences of bad financial decisions like quitting your job and failing to pay your house and car payments...bankruptcy.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 3:26:25 PM EDT
[#13]
You cannot have a right to someone else s job.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 3:27:27 PM EDT
[#14]
You have a right to healthcare, you don't have a right to force someone else to pay for it.

Where's my taxpayer funded machine guns and printing presses?
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 3:27:32 PM EDT
[#15]
It's a service
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 3:30:09 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm always reading the hate towards paying other people's healthcare, and I get it. But not much anger about our taxes paying for the establishment healthcare and pensions. Until they start with the cuts at the top I'm kinda meh on the issue. IMO I wish it was all cut out but until then what's good for the goose is good for the gander.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 3:32:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Is anything a "collective" right?

As a society we decide to use our tax dollars for some things and not for others.  They are not "collective" rights, or even rights at all.  We have just determined that spending money collectively on some things is better for our society than not spending the money (eg the military, roads).  We could choose to do the same on healthcare, or not.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 3:33:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Neither
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 3:34:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 3:35:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
Half the country doesn't wash their hands after dropping a deuce. Start a hygiene promotion campaign if you are worried about public health. 
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 3:38:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Healthcare is a service provided by healthcare professionals. Lawn care is a service provided by lawn care professionals. Do you have a right to lawn care? Of course not, that would be foolish.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 3:41:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote
Should the government broadcast information about public health?  I am a libertarian and I think that would fall under a proper government use.
But 'information," not free healthcare.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 3:48:01 PM EDT
[#23]
What about this:

I've just come down with leukemia and I cannot afford to pay for treatment and I don't have health insurance.

Should I be allowed to die?

What if I told you I was the 5 year old son of a Waffle House waitress in Toccoa, GA...
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 3:49:40 PM EDT
[#24]
Privvy, but pie got my vote
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 3:50:44 PM EDT
[#25]
Buy all you want and can afford.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 3:51:43 PM EDT
[#26]
It's a service. Neither right nor privilege.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 3:53:11 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote
As a nurse, is it not generally the case the the people who get care at no cost to themselves abuse the healthcare system we have mostly because they dont feel that their health is a personal responsibility?
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 3:54:03 PM EDT
[#28]
... I'll just remind you of this; even though there were fringe problems then, health care was not even on the radar when I was a child - do the math
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 3:57:27 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Half the country doesn't wash their hands after dropping a deuce. Start a hygiene promotion campaign if you are worried about public health. 
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Pretty common secondary prevention tactics.

Quoted:
Should the government broadcast information about public health?  I am a libertarian and I think that would fall under a proper government use.
But 'information," not free healthcare.
Yep, falls under secondary prevention.

Quoted:

As a nurse, is it not generally the case the the people who get care at no cost to themselves abuse the healthcare system we have mostly because they dont feel that their health is a personal responsibility?
Sure, I see that a lot. Many patients go without having/seeing their PCP for years at a time and let their chronic health care issues become so severe the only next step is to go to the ER. Alternatively you also have patients who go to the ER for coughs, pregnancy tests/prenatalcare, ect.

I still care for those patients though, that's why I got into healthcare.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 3:58:46 PM EDT
[#30]
I think access to healthcare is a social responsibility in a first world country, as well as programs to help manage payments and prevent runaway billing.

Hard to implement that though and keep it free market.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 4:04:19 PM EDT
[#31]
It's a operating expense, and it's what YOU can afford.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 4:08:24 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
You do not have the right to someone else's labor.
View Quote
Once you do, this becomes slavery.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 4:11:49 PM EDT
[#33]
Let's play devil's advocate here.  

Let's pretend the healthcare IS a right.  
Hell, let's pretend that it is even a right protected by the U.S. Constitution.  

Tell me, my right to freedom of speech means that the government is obliged to fund a book I'd like to write?

My right to bear arms is protected by the Constitution, does that mean that the government is obligated to buy me an SR-25?

No, of course not.  
Rights in America are protected from government interference and infringement.  
Nothing more.  
The rest is up to the individual.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 4:13:05 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yes, so it's important that citizens be responsible for themselves.  Otherwise they are a detriment to society.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 4:20:58 PM EDT
[#35]
The healthcare system should have 2 different types of facilities.

1. Hospitals and doctors offices for the responsible people who pay for insurance or are wealthy enough to pay for their healthcare.

2. Hospitals and doctors offices for people on welfare and those who never had the forethought to plan for medical issues.

I imagine the option 2 place would have a serious backlog and the smell would be terrible. Hopefully this would assist in teaching future generations that medical insurance is more important than iPhones, tattoos, cigarettes, and being a lazy detriment to society.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 4:22:41 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Yes, so it's important that citizens be responsible for themselves.  Otherwise they are a detriment to society.
View Quote
Do you believe yourself to be a christian?

I've had homeless people come into our clinic that we've care for. One homeless woman with bacterial vaginosis had no money to pay and didn't want to waste the ERs time. So she came into our clinic, but didn't have enough money for the prompt pay visit. The doctor and I assessed her and gave her antibiotics that would likely treat her infection. We had nothing to gain from helping this woman, but I felt it would be too cold hearted to turn her away.

I agree, it is a detriment to society however they are still human beings.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 4:28:18 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I've had homeless people come into our clinic that we've care for. One homeless woman with bacterial vaginosis had no money to pay and didn't want to waste the ERs time. So she came into our clinic, but didn't have enough money for the prompt pay visit. The doctor and I assessed her and gave her antibiotics that would likely treat her infection. We had nothing to gain from helping this woman, but I felt it would be too cold hearted to turn her away.

View Quote
Individual charity is different from government mandated tyranny
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 4:29:20 PM EDT
[#38]
It sure ain't a right.

It would really be extra nice if beetus-ridden fatties (and similar money pit patients) were vigorously discharged from the insurance system, so that the rest of us did not pay for their poor choices.

But don't worry Trump said he's gonna cover everybody. Better and cheaper.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 4:29:57 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Individual charity is different from government mandated tyranny
View Quote
I wish I could see lines as clear as you, for me the lines are blurred.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 4:38:05 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
The healthcare system should have 2 different types of facilities.

1. Hospitals and doctors offices for the responsible people who pay for insurance or are wealthy enough to pay for their healthcare.

2. Hospitals and doctors offices for people on welfare and those who never had the forethought to plan for medical issues.

I imagine the option 2 place would have a serious backlog and the smell would be terrible. Hopefully this would assist in teaching future generations that medical insurance is more important than iPhones, tattoos, cigarettes, and being a lazy detriment to society.
View Quote
I talked to a guy from the UK that had similar sentiments. He said it's handy having healthcare be a public service, but the wait times can get annoying. He had to wait 5-6 weeks to get a surgery (non-emergency) so had to cope with some pain for the duration.

He said if there was a way he could have paid to get bumped up in line he would have.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 4:40:03 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote
Do I (or w)e have the right to compel your service in the public good because of the skills

you possess?
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 4:40:27 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I wish I could see lines as clear as you, for me the lines are blurred.
View Quote
I just dont believe in emotional policy making
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 4:41:16 PM EDT
[#43]
The Second Amendment protects a right but that doesn't mean the government is covering the cost for my CCW piece, shotgun, rifle, ammunition, and training.

You have the right to all of the healthcare you want - as long as you're the one paying the bills.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 4:49:02 PM EDT
[#44]
Noone has a right to anyone else's services or income/property. Government was designed as a monopoly of force by the founders to protect undue forces from taking those, in addition to infringing on our liberties.

-- Big L libertarian, CR
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 5:04:47 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The question is why was the person raised in such a way as to be unable to care for herself?  This problem goes back generations - not last week.

I believe there does need to be a medicare / medicaid system because there will always be a percentage of people that are unemployable / debilitated / unable to make a living.  As a society however it is in our best interests to raise children that feel a responsibility to contribute to society - not leach on society.

The current system at best tolerates, if not outright encourages, leaches that should be able to provide for themselves.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 5:05:39 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 5:11:32 PM EDT
[#47]
Fist; expense/affordability is different than accessibility.

Second; it doesn't have to be an enumerated constitutional right for society to decide that they want to foot the bill to make some general level of care available to everyone.

We basically do this already and society has shown that they would rather have that care available than not so the issue is about how to structure and pay for it and what level of care should be provided by default.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 5:15:42 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 5:18:33 PM EDT
[#49]
Society has decided that in at least some cases Health care is a Right or at least a service that must be provided.  A prime example is that if you come into an ER with a gun shot wound you are getting treated no matter what.  Whether you walk in on your own or are carried in a stretcher that care will not be denied for any reason.  There are many other examples of this.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 5:29:03 PM EDT
[#50]
Meanwhile, my son-in-law retired USA has a fucked up spine, bulged disks, and shooting pains in his back, legs, testicles, can't get the fucking VA to give him the time of day.

No such thing as an ER visit resulting in an MRI.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top