Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 7
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 11:02:22 AM EDT
[#1]
did we ever get the cranky old grumpaw out of the left lane? 
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 11:06:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If I'm in the left lane doing 70 and the car(s) I'm passing is/are doing 65ish and I see someone driving faster coming up behind me I'll pick up the pace a little, complete my pass and move over.  I appreciate others doing the same for me on the exceedingly rare occasion someone does.  The last thing I want to do is have some road raging impatient asshole involve me in an accident due to their recklessly weaving from lane to lane.  I also like a rabbit ahead of me to occupy any troopers that might be around. 
View Quote

This man gets it.

Putting your turn signal on before your back bumper clears the front bumper of the vehicle in the right lane also discourages the practice the OP is bitching about b/c the driver behind you knows you're not going to camp in the left lane.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 11:17:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Sounds like you drive slow
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 11:24:03 AM EDT
[#4]
You failed to properly signal your intention to move over. People are used to assholes slowly passing and not moving over once the pass is complete. You are the problem
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 11:26:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

This man gets it.

Putting your turn signal on before your back bumper clears the front bumper of the vehicle in the right lane also discourages the practice the OP is bitching about b/c the driver behind you knows you're not going to camp in the left lane.
View Quote
GTFO with your common sense!

I got your back OP.. at least until you leisurely extend your "pass" to 2 car lengths then I'll pass you on the right in my BMW (while flashing my high beams).
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 11:27:56 AM EDT
[#6]
If I'm over taking you in the right lane you shouldn't be in the left lane.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 11:28:19 AM EDT
[#7]
So if you're poking along at 55 in the middle lane of a 3 lane 70mph highway I can't pass you on the right?

Watch me.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 11:28:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 11:29:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Then get the fuck out of the way after you pass.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 11:33:29 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
GTFO with your common sense!
View Quote
I thought since I'm a woman driver I'm not supposed to have any!
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 11:40:48 AM EDT
[#11]
Lemme just save you a bunch of anxiety and anguish OP:  There are no "Rules of the Road" anymore.  

You can add it to the long list of things that have come and gone.  

You pass or hold in whichever lane you want, and accept that others will do the same.    

It's a beautifully Darwinian process.   The last bastion of Freedom and Liberty.  

And yes, Freedom is scary.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 11:46:08 AM EDT
[#12]
This is not going the way the OP expected is it?
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 11:50:16 AM EDT
[#13]
Can't agree more OP!  People drive like shit today.  It's just lots of nervous drivers out there.  Ironically, more often than not it's some frizzy haired woman.  They don't realize they are soft and squishy and cars are sharp rigid death machines until they've been in an accident.  It's like they think they are in a video game.  That said I do hate when people just "sit" in the left lane for no reason.  They are just as bad.

True story:  Was driving on I-70, traffic is backed on the left with a slower semi leading the pack, no way to pass, right is packed too.  Cars in the left lane have less than safe distance between each other (one car length per 10mph), yet this crazy bitch thinks she can still get there faster.  Starts weaving into the line of cars on the left, then back and forth to the right with no signal.  Then she finds out that there is actually a reason they can't go faster, total idiot.  Her car had a sticker on the back window that said "MIZZOU MOM".  Go Mizzou......
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 11:53:13 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Can't agree more OP!  People drive like shit today.  It's just lots of nervous drivers out there.  Ironically, more often than not it's some frizzy haired woman.  They don't realize they are soft and squishy and cars are sharp rigid death machines until they've been in an accident.  It's like they think they are in a video game.  That said I do hate when people just "sit" in the left lane for no reason.  They are just as bad.

True story:  Was driving on I-70, traffic is backed on the left with a slower semi leading the pack, no way to pass, right is packed too.  Cars in the left lane have less than safe distance between each other (one car length per 10mph), yet this crazy bitch thinks she can still get there faster.  Starts weaving into the line of cars on the left, then back and forth to the right with no signal.  Then she finds out that there is actually a reason they can't go faster, total idiot.  Her car had a sticker on the back window that said "MIZZOU MOM".  Go Mizzou......
View Quote
So on the interstate you leave 8 car lengths between you and the person in front of you?  And you think everyone should do so?

Holy fucking shit.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 11:54:34 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 12:00:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Yep, do you know your stopping distance?  Guess they substituted Special Ed for Drivers' Ed at your HS.  Drive Happy!  

BTW, get your car on a real track and see how quick you can stop.  Might save some innocent peoples' lives and maybe your own too.  

Quoted:

So on the interstate you leave 8 car lengths between you and the person in front of you?  And you think everyone should do so?

Holy fucking shit.
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 12:21:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Yep, do you know your stopping distance?  Guess they substituted Special Ed for Drivers' Ed at your HS.  Drive Happy!  

BTW, get your car on a real track and see how quick you can stop.  Might save some innocent peoples' lives and maybe your own too.  
View Quote
This. Fuck tailgaters.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 12:30:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Errmygerrd. There was enough room for someone to get in the right lane and pass me. They got in the right lane and passed me without causing any accidents, because i would not get in the right lane.

Link Posted: 8/18/2017 12:39:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Holy fucking shit.
You realize that the car in front of you will need a nominally equal distance to come to a stop?

If two cars are in the left lane doing 80 the lead car isn't going to instantaneously stop.  It is a ridiculous notion that the following car would need that kind of distance.

Hopefully folks with your mindset just avoid the left lane entirely.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 1:42:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote
because the person in front of me has an instantaneous stopping speed?
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 2:20:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

So you complain about someone wanting to drive 5 mph faster than you, but then you go to (slowly) pass a semi truck for a 5 mph difference?
View Quote
Yup. Hypocrisy abounds.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 3:38:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Put your turn signal on before you create a gap with whatever car you're passing.

I'm in agreeance with you op, traveling to England gave me a whole new understanding of how shitty US drivers are. Even in heavy or fast traffic, driving there was a breeze. People actually move over for you or flash to let you know it's safe to merge. Our free for all system is just stupid, we gain nothing from it.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 4:12:26 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Put your turn signal on before you create a gap with whatever car you're passing.

I'm in agreeance with you op, traveling to England gave me a whole new understanding of how shitty US drivers are. Even in heavy or fast traffic, driving there was a breeze. People actually move over for you or flash to let you know it's safe to merge. Our free for all system is just stupid, we gain nothing from it.
View Quote
OP is the one blocking the left lane and not using his signals.

On a recent trip to Greece I spent a week or so driving around the outskirts of Athens, the countryside, and several smaller cities, and I observed what you mention as well.

Whether on the interstate or country back roads, if you approach a vehicle from behind they move over, even big trucks.  I stayed out of the passing lane because people were driving true highway speeds in the center and right lanes.

Greece is hardly a nation that gives a shit about vehicle inspections or traffic problems/urban design.  Downtown Athens is traffic chaos but traffic somehow manages to keep moving at a fast pace.  You have to pay attention, but you get places FAST.  

The difference is that Europeans for the most part view driving as a serious activity and not something to fiddlefuck around at while you text or screw with the headrest DVD player your unrestrained child has broken.  

I've been stuck in stop-and-go bumper-to-bumper traffic on American 6 lane interstates countless times because somewhere, miles ahead of me, some queef is camped out in the left lane, with miles of open road ahead of them and a thousand angry drivers at his back.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 6:08:56 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
If there's room to pass on the right and you haven't moved over yet I don't blame them.

Get the hell out of the fast lane.
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 6:11:55 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

You realize that the car in front of you will need a nominally equal distance to come to a stop?

If two cars are in the left lane doing 80 the lead car isn't going to instantaneously stop.  It is a ridiculous notion that the following car would need that kind of distance.

View Quote
Safe following distance guidelines account for mutual speed and for the reaction time of the following car to sudden braking by the lead car.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 6:12:02 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Get back in the right lane grandpa.
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 6:30:31 PM EDT
[#27]
You stop that ..by not being a fucking asshole in the left hand lane  deciding how fast everyone gets to go
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 6:43:01 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

This.  And I am a reasonably patient driver.  I get that someone wants to pass but maybe wants to leave a lot of safety space.  But passing is passing.  Make your move and GTF out of the way.  If someone has time to pass on the right you had time to move over.  It's not your roadway.  It's a public roadway.
View Quote
Which leads into a whole sidethread..you are driving at posted (or above) speed..2 lane road.. in the distance you see : some fucking thumb up th ass faggot piece of shit behind a semi.. you keep traveling... suddenly the thumb ass fuckstick decides he doesn't want to be behind the truck and pull in front of you for a truck pass (he is doing 1 MPH more  than what he is passing)... I really wish these people would die..off the road wheree they are not going to bother people... you had years, days, hours, minutes ..to figure out you wanted to go around the truck you were drafting..now..another car shows up  and you decide it is time for your snail overtake?  Fuck you
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 6:43:53 PM EDT
[#29]
Your sketch makes you look like the tool
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 6:47:58 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
<snip>

tdlr: don't pass somebody on the right when they havnt even had a chance to get back over
View Quote

tl;dr

YOLO
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 6:52:49 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
did we ever get the cranky old grumpaw out of the left lane? 
View Quote
OP set up camp.

Link Posted: 8/18/2017 6:55:46 PM EDT
[#32]
Lol love these threads. If someone is hauling ass enough to pass me i'll get over. I'm typically between 15-30 over wherever I go.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 7:00:39 PM EDT
[#33]
I love the ones who zooooom up the right lane only to be behind the tractor trailer that the 4 other people are trying to pass and you can only go as fast as the car in front of you. Then they get pissed that you don't let them right in the left lane in front of you.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 7:03:22 PM EDT
[#34]
I just passed OP on the right again. Suck it OP.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 7:06:22 PM EDT
[#35]
How about everyone that wants to drive slow, stay in the right lane and let those who want to drive faster and pass everyone, do so.  Its a plague here in Albuquerque.  I call them "do-gooders".

They stay in the left lane pacing the car in the right lane in their Lexus RX350 with a smug look on their face like "yeah, I just stopped all the speeders, I am so good, I am justice, nobody should speed and I will make sure that I drive 2mph under the speed limit in the left lane and stay right next to the car in the right lane so nobody can pass".  I drive 5mph over the limit because its allowed.  Hell you can drive 10mph over the limit here before you get pulled over as told to me by a traffic cop.

Every morning, all I do is sit there, wishing that these people would get their fucking head out of their fucking ass and stay the fuck out of the left lane so that those who want to pass can do so.  But noooooooooo, they have to be the "do-gooders".  

If you are going to pass someone just to get back over in the right lane, look in the left lane before you get over to make sure there isnt a car going faster than you that you are going to get in front of and essentially cut off.  Either let the fast car pass, or get over in the left, push the little thing under your right foot so you arent slooooooooooooooooooowwwwly drifting by the car you are trying to pass and actuall pass the fucking car and get back over.  

Yes I agree that people shouldnt try and pass you on the right when you are trying to pass, but if someone is doing 90mph on cruise control and you pull over into the left lane in front of them and are barely passing the car on your right you can expect the car to do what they can to get around you.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 7:10:08 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Safe following distance guidelines account for mutual speed and for the reaction time of the following car to sudden braking by the lead car.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bullshit.  Get out of the left lane.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 7:17:00 PM EDT
[#37]
PSA : If you are in the left lane and are right behind a left lane camper and are not willing to flash your lights at them or hand signal to them to get the fuck in the right lane, then please move your ass to the right lane so that someone with balls can do this.

So often I see a camper that looks like a moma duck with all her little ducklings following behind.

Link Posted: 8/18/2017 7:19:16 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Bullshit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Bullshit.
Wrong. Tailgaters are dangerous law breaking morons.

https://dps.mn.gov/divisions/dvs/forms-documents/Documents/Minnesota_Drivers_Manual.pdf

Following Other Vehicles
The law requires that you maintain a safe distance between your vehicle and the vehicle in front of you. You must be able to stop or turn to avoid a collision. Consider weather, traffic, and road conditions when determining appropriate following distance. Using the three-second rule will help you maintain a safe following distance. (See “three-second rule”
in Chapter 6.)
Three-Second Rule
Applying the “Three-Second Rule” is a way to help keep a safe distance between your car and the vehicle ahead of you. This rule pertains to standard-length vehicles driving in ideal conditions.
Choose a  xed reference point at the side of the road ahead, such as a telephone pole, signpost, tree, or bridge.
When the vehicle ahead of you passes the reference point, begin counting: “One-thousand-one, one-thousand-two, one-thousand-three.” If you pass the reference point before you are through counting, you are following too closely.
Gradually slow down until you have reached a safe following distance and speed. When road conditions are poor, or if you are driving a vehicle that is longer than the standard length, increase your following distance to a four- or  ve-second count.
If the vehicle behind you is following too closely, slow down slightly and allow it to pass.
Stopping Distance
The distance you need to stop your vehicle can determine a safe following distance, but your actual stopping distance will depend on many factors, including:
• The time it takes a driver to see and recognize that there is a danger ahead.
• The length of time from perception of danger to using the brakes happens in 3/4 seconds.
• Weather conditions.
• Condition of your tire treads.
• Type and condition of your brakes.
I like this suggestion from our driver manual:

If the vehicle behind you is following too closely, slow down slightly and allow it to pass.
and I use it every time some snowflake thinking my 78mph pass is too slow and should be 90+ shows it by following 20ft off my bumper.

I drive in the driving lane and pass in the passing lane, fuck you if you can't wait until that happens. I'll slow down enough to make your following distance safe and merge in behind the driving lane line if you keep tailgating. it's fun.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 7:33:02 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Fuck you, I'll do whatever I want.
View Quote
Exactly. Arizona let us pass wherever the fuck we want to.   As long as it isn't posted on the highway with a reversible passing lane
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 7:39:03 PM EDT
[#40]
LOL, if they can pass you on the right then you had the chance to get back over or else they wouldn't have been able to get through now would they? Nothing sucks worse than some self righteous asshole that will keep a line of cars stuck behind them while they casually and slowly pass a car. GET THE FUCK OUT OF THE WAY. I'm not excusing aggressive drivers for insane acts on the freeway but at the same time you want them to slow down so they don't kill you, you ignore completely that the car tailgating you could cause a wreck that might kill you if you continue to stay in their way. Anytime someone ends up on my ass I get out of the way and let them through because I'm not trying to see who has the bigger dick at 80mph, I want to avoid catastrophe. It's also a matter of courtesy to get out of the fucking way anyways. 
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 7:52:59 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Wrong. Tailgaters are dangerous law breaking morons.

https://dps.mn.gov/divisions/dvs/forms-documents/Documents/Minnesota_Drivers_Manual.pdf
View Quote
Oh wow, the three second rule.  You know what they taught me?  The two second rule.  You know what that means?  It's all bullshit.  Why not the 1 second rule, the 0.5 second rule, the 87 second rule?
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 8:01:16 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Get back in the right lane grandpa.
View Quote
FTPNI!
(first three posts nail it)
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 8:10:18 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Oh wow, the three second rule.  You know what they taught me?  The two second rule.  You know what that means?  It's all bullshit.  Why not the 1 second rule, the 0.5 second rule, the 87 second rule?
View Quote
it's ok to admit you're wrong.

2 second rule at 70mph is like 60 meters.

people are incredibly ignorant of what constitutes as safe following distance.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 8:13:45 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
This is actually how I make the best time on I95/I75/I275/I4 here in Florida.  Most people immediately move to the left lanes after merging onto the highway causing everyone at speed to slow down.  I realistically spend 50%-70% of my time passing/camping/cruising in the right lanes simply because it's faster than trying to fight the left lane campers/adult hall monitors.    There are nodes of cars playing what I call "magnets ball" in the left lanes.  Literally clumps of cars with no intention of passing each other or merging to the right when faster traffic approaches.  

Simple idea.  If the car in your rearview mirror gets bigger or stays the same size while the cars in your windshield get smaller------>move to the right.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The OP is really going to be triggered by this video from my dashcam.  There is no law that says you have to pass on the left.  I go through traffic, where ever there is an opening.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42HEvuP9bVA
This is actually how I make the best time on I95/I75/I275/I4 here in Florida.  Most people immediately move to the left lanes after merging onto the highway causing everyone at speed to slow down.  I realistically spend 50%-70% of my time passing/camping/cruising in the right lanes simply because it's faster than trying to fight the left lane campers/adult hall monitors.    There are nodes of cars playing what I call "magnets ball" in the left lanes.  Literally clumps of cars with no intention of passing each other or merging to the right when faster traffic approaches.  

Simple idea.  If the car in your rearview mirror gets bigger or stays the same size while the cars in your windshield get smaller------>move to the right.
That is how it works here as well. It's amazing how there can be 20 cars in the left lane, 10 in the middle, and no one in the right lane.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 8:18:35 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

it's ok to admit you're wrong.

2 second rule at 70mph is like 60 meters.

people are incredibly ignorant of what constitutes as safe following distance.
View Quote
Yet the two second rule is what they still teach in some states.  So who's right?  Oh, no one is.  It's a rule of thumb, and many conditions factor into safe driving distance.  Apparently your reaction time just sucks ass.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 8:24:07 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Yet the two second rule is what they still teach in some states.  So who's right?  Oh, no one is.  It's a rule of thumb, and many conditions factor into safe driving distance.  Apparently your reaction time just sucks ass.
View Quote
well, here 3 seconds is the law, but no one follows it.

impatient snowflakes use the tenth of a second second rule, and expect you to do the same when moving back into the driving lane. because they're too important to wait 2 seconds for you to pass to a safe distance so you can move over.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 9:09:44 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
LOL, if they can pass you on the right then you had the chance to get back over or else they wouldn't have been able to get through now would they? Nothing sucks worse than some self righteous asshole that will keep a line of cars stuck behind them while they casually and slowly pass a car. GET THE FUCK OUT OF THE WAY. I'm not excusing aggressive drivers for insane acts on the freeway but at the same time you want them to slow down so they don't kill you, you ignore completely that the car tailgating you could cause a wreck that might kill you if you continue to stay in their way. Anytime someone ends up on my ass I get out of the way and let them through because I'm not trying to see who has the bigger dick at 80mph, I want to avoid catastrophe. It's also a matter of courtesy to get out of the fucking way anyways. 
View Quote
Physically being able to pass on the right does not mean you should pass on the right.

Turning in front of someone with only a second of clearance time is physically possible, but is it the smart thing to do? No.

The premise of the thread is that when you are behind a vehicle overtaking another, it is both unsafe and reckless to attempt to get into the right lane as soon as a large enough gap is present and attempt to overtake the vehicle in the left lane.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 9:24:08 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Simply not true. But whatever you say.

I try to follow the left lane/right lane rules as best as I can. The entire nature of this thread are the people who pass on the right before I have a chance to get over. It's not like it happens every time I drive, but it happens enough that it pisses me off because it is so dangerous yet so preventable.

Not only is the car cutting off the vehicle that we both just passed, there is then the risk that as they try to zoom around me on the right so quickly, we end up hitting each other.

You are conflating left lane camping, which yes is a pain the pass and then passing on the right is no big deal; with right lane passing before the vehicle ahead of you has had a chance to get back over.
View Quote
How can these people behind you manage to have enough time to get over but you don't? 
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 9:27:30 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

tdlr: don't pass somebody on the right when they havnt even had a chance to get back over
View Quote

You had a chance.  You're just slow as fuck.

And a democrat.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 9:36:12 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
How can these people behind you manage to have enough time to get over but you don't? 
View Quote
Have you never seen an aggressive driver, or are you being intentionally dense?

"These people" are not safe drivers. They aren't typical drivers. They are aggressive assholes.

95% of the time most people are going to give you the couple of seconds you need before getting back over. The 5% are going to try to zoom around you as soon as they can fit.

So simple, yet so hard to understand.
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top