BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 9:03:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

What's the story on the DSA receivers? 15+ years ago they were kind of the gold standard.
View Quote
The forged receivers are same as always; just need breaking in. However, they are now offering some truely horrendous castings (voyager series) that should be avoided like the AIDS.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 9:04:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Mag relief cut, big offhand charging handle, drop-free mags, easy safety and a mage release in reach of the trigger finger. FALs have some of the best ergos evar.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Heavy rifles with shitty ergos built for people with gorilla arms. 

I had a IMBEL and sold it. Never looked back. 
Mag relief cut, big offhand charging handle, drop-free mags, easy safety and a mage release in reach of the trigger finger. FALs have some of the best ergos evar.
Not for me..... 

AR is best rifle. 
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 9:07:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I haven't seen anything personally, but I don't have much experience with FALs. I just see a lot of posts by those in the know on the Falfiles who say that the current DSAs are out of spec, etc. FWIW, I bought a bolt hold open from them that is clearly superior to the older ones in construction.
View Quote
Ah, got it.  Yeah, I suppose that could be.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 9:08:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
The forged receivers are same as always; just need breaking in. However, they are now offering some truely horrendous castings (voyager series) that should be avoided like the AIDS.
View Quote
Roger that. Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 9:15:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Have wanted one since I read and reread Lights Out, authored by a member here.

Coworker of mine in Iraq had one his, secondary long gun along with a M4 for convoys. Only time I have really handled one.

His was full auto and he ended up tradeding it for a HK or PTR few months later since he only had a couple of mags for it.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 9:19:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Wish I never sold my SAR-48 , receicers and kits

I need an FAL
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 9:26:18 PM EDT
[#7]
For a while the DSA rifles were in a lot of cases nicer the the original FN's... Dunno about now.

I know my DSA is nicer than my friend's FN FAL, but his is of course older. I'm talking DSA's top line, not the budget stuff. I wish I had gotten the fixed stock instead of the folder, damn sling swivel amd rear sight smack me in the face.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 9:28:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/14291/FAL_amgs-283071.JPG

I had a bunch of these. Sold them way to early for way to little 
View Quote
I have a few of those somewhere around the house.  What are they worth now?  $87.00?
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 9:38:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Sorry for double posting...posting from my 4 year old cell
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 9:44:58 PM EDT
[#10]
I sold my L1A1 AND CETME back in 2013.  I never shot them anymore after I got an AR 10, it seemed like wasting ammo. 
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 9:46:46 PM EDT
[#11]
I have a few new Imbel receivers I'll be selling soon... never put them together.

Link Posted: 8/17/2017 9:47:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I have a few of those somewhere around the house.  What are they worth now?  $87.00?
View Quote
I've seen wrapped singles go for $35 pretty regular so $350?? Or more not really up on current LOL it just make me sad ... I let mine go for $20 each and thought that was rapey, but the market is the market. 
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 9:50:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Inb4 chase45
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 10:04:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Like all surplus, it dries up.
View Quote
This.  And they are not a good rifle.  It's amazing that so many were made.  Unless you can find one for dirt cheap, stay away.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 10:10:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
They are all in safe's with no ammunition
View Quote
Not all of them.
7.62 ammo is plentiful and getting cheaper by the day.  
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 10:15:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 10:19:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Just checking in...

Link Posted: 8/17/2017 10:29:56 PM EDT
[#18]
I'm down to one built gun, a STG58 on an Imbel gear receiver. Still have a few kits with original barrels stashed though.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 10:43:05 PM EDT
[#19]
I have an STG58 and a Rhodie that started as just an RA serialed lower. They get to the range a few times a year. 762 is rather pricey. I end up shooting steel in my Rhodie brass cased 762 opens groups up pretty bad. The old SA barrel is pretty worn on my Rhodie.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 10:54:27 PM EDT
[#20]
I still have 2 unopened boxes of 20 surplus mags from DSA.  Used to get a box shipped for like $110 and most of them were like new.  I don't even know how many I have.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 11:11:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Bought a Century Imbel build on an Aussie Inch pattern with 8 Magazines several years ago.
Doesn't have a uni-brow either.. LOL
I guess I got lucky.....
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 11:19:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Just like the AR-15 owns the world of 5.56, the AR10-type rifle owns the 7.62x51 world now.

FALs, G3-types, etc, are just fun curios at this point. The goddamned AR is so fucking awesome its actually making the gun world a little boring.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 11:20:21 PM EDT
[#23]
https://www.dsarms.com/p-14141-dsa-sa58-fal-voyager-series-21-barrel-fixed-stock-rifle.aspx

Fal's are alive and well. You will pay more to get one than a decade ago.

DSA, as far as I know, is still selling stripped receivers. There are still kits available but the quality is not as good as it was a decade ago.

http://www.coonaninc.com/product-category/falreceivers/
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 11:21:30 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 11:23:50 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Seems a 15 years to a decade ago FAL's were for sale all over the place. Now it's fairly rare to see one for sale and the mags are virtually never for sale. I remember during the ban FAL mags were $5 a mag and boxes and boxes of them sat untouched at gunshows here in Vegas and Phoenix.
View Quote

They are all stockpiled in safes and gun cabinets.  Right next to the M1 Garands, SKS's, and M1 carbines.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 11:24:40 PM EDT
[#26]
I had my three built from pristine StG 58 kits. Things looked unissued. I had one built as a rifle and two built as carbines at ARS. Freakin' awesome.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 11:28:38 PM EDT
[#27]
I've built quite a few over the years. There is some history with the weapons, but at the end of the day I've always sold them because there are much better .308 weapons available.

I remember when kits were so plentiful guys were building 45acp guns with the Aluminum receivers and such.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 11:29:31 PM EDT
[#28]
For some reason I just never particularly cared for the FAL enough to buy one of my own. I've shot and handled them and was just never overly impressed by them. Of all the common .308 caliber battle rifles, the FAL is probably my least favorite.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 11:40:13 PM EDT
[#29]
I've never fired an AR10.  I like the FNFAL and variants better than the M1As I've owned and shot.

The first FNFAL I bought about 1980 for $1200.  In the end I let it go because it liked to string the shots as it heated up.

DSA came out with the STG-58 and my friend and I each bought one.  I got itchy and bought a few parts kits at that time too.  I was shocked to see that they looked to me like brand new rifles sawed up.  What a waste!!!

But those STGs shot a lot better than the FNFAL I used to have.  With the Aussie ammo I bought many cases of, it'd shoot pretty much 2moa, and those cold hammer forged barrels did not string like I remembered either.  

Anyway, those days are over, and PSA has AR10s for under $500 right now...  getting hard not to pull the trigger.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 11:40:37 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I had my three built from pristine StG 58 kits. Things looked unissued. I had one built as a rifle and two built as carbines at ARS. Freakin' awesome.
View Quote
I have two like that from matching number Steyr kits.  I believe they even have chrome chambers if not chrome bores.  ARS did great builds.  

I'm an average shooter and with irons and decent surplus I would guess they are 4 MOA rifles.  Never scoped mine but still have an ARMs mount gathering dust.  Wonder what that is worth.  I think the ergos are great with the rifle and it is just plain fun to shoot.  More "fun" than an AR.  But an AR10 certainly does the job better of sending 7:62 downrange accurately.  To me an AR is a tool.  A really good one.  Things like FAL's are fun.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 11:55:36 PM EDT
[#31]
I sold my DSA STG58.
For $800 more than I bought it for.

I wish I could buy another one.

I did buy a DSA Para Congo earlier this year.
And I got one of the last forged DSA receivers.

Now all I need is a cheap kit...
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 12:00:28 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I remember those $5 mags too. Should have bought more even though I still bought a buttload and every single one works.  

Ha!  I have one of those unoppened and one opened but unused.  I always though back then it would have collector value.

I have a pile of other mags so never planned on using those above.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 12:25:23 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Wish I never sold my SAR-48 , receicers and kits

I need an FAL
View Quote
^Oh man me too. I loved that gun. Springfield Armory SAR-48. It's funny, I just found the old bayonet that came with it when I was cleaning out my parent's place.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 12:47:42 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 12:56:35 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

This.  And they are not a good rifle.  It's amazing that so many were made.  Unless you can find one for dirt cheap, stay away.
View Quote
"the right arm of the free world" wasn't a good rifle?  I believe that at one point they were issued to more armies in the world than anything else.  What makes them so bad?

I think they are a great rifle, especially compared to the other rifles around when it came out (50's, iirc).  Today the ar-10 type rifles make much more sense, but that doesn't make the FAL any less effective than it's ever been.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 1:06:46 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 1:11:32 AM EDT
[#37]
I have mines..which is an original Lithgow receivered l1A1.

Happy camper.

Stg58 also....on DSA.

Works well..
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 1:13:30 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Better use of the parts that are salvageable. The only question is where people will get receiver now. The one guy I knew of who was importing Imbels isn't anymore, DSA's are supposed to be iffy, and Coonan was recently roasted by one of the top builders who said he won't recommend them anymore.
View Quote
Mark Graham is roasting DSA as well right now.  At least DSA will attempt to make some things right with their many bad parts.  Part of the beef with Coonan is that they are apparently not making anything right anymore; all issues are presumed to be the fault of the purchaser and not Coonan.  There is no one currently making a quality FAL receiver for the U.S. market.  IMBEL is making something, but it's for the Brazilian military.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 1:16:33 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I Still have 2

They are 8 MOA rifles at best with surplus. About 4 MOA with handloads.

They were only popular in the 90~2000's because they were far cheaper than buying a M1A or HK91.

People that think they are great rifles are idiots.
View Quote
With a shot-out barrel, maybe.  A well-built FAL using excellent or NOS OEM or other quality parts shooting match ammo can get sub-2MOA.  Lowest I've seen is about 1.7 MOA with a 10-round group, or something like that, with 168-grain GMM; like new StG-58 parts kit with an IMBEL receiver and 10X scope on DSA mount. 
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 1:19:54 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Heavy rifles with shitty ergos built for people with gorilla arms. 

I had a IMBEL and sold it. Never looked back. 
View Quote
Meh, they aren't that heavy.  Start getting into hiduminium parts and they are definitely not heavy.  Ergonomics are alright in typical configurations; they are much better using certain parts, like extended selectors and SAW grips (major difference).  Set-up right, I actually like them better than standard ARs, ergonomically.  I don't get the "gorilla arms" part; sounds more like the G-3, which does have horrendous ergonomics.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 1:21:46 AM EDT
[#41]
I remember buying new Steyr Mags for $8. It only took me about 20 years to finally get a FAL clone.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 8:30:21 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I Still have 2

They are 8 MOA rifles at best with surplus. About 4 MOA with handloads.

They were only popular in the 90~2000's because they were far cheaper than buying a M1A or HK91.

People that think they are great rifles are idiots.
View Quote
You must have shitty barrels.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 12:08:26 PM EDT
[#43]
I still own an FAL and won't part with it.

I'm keeping her only for the Cold War nostalgia.

But now that I have an AR10 I doubt the FAL will see outside of the safe very often.

The Armalite just does everything better !!
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 12:25:09 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I got one, mine is so old it has the Aussie wood furniture and the barrel was neutered because of the AWB.  Been meaning to have it threaded and just never got around to it.  I don't think I've shot it in a decade.  

Oh, and I bought a half dozen of the SA battle packs at the same time.  I think they were $28 each. 
View Quote
Port for $100/K shipped was the cream of the 7.62 surp.  That stuff was super accurate and clean.  

Dag, Men, SA, Aussie, and the questionable curry.  The good old days.  

I found an Imbel kit a while back that I'd forgotten I even had.  Think I paid a little over $100 for it on falfiles.

Guys who weren't shooting milsurp in the early 00's just don't know.....
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 12:28:47 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Remember TAPCO?

Before TAPCO became the ridiculous craphole they are now, they were once the FAL fun shop.

TAPCO sold tons of desirable FAL parts and kits.  They had great FAL stuff.

Now they are the laughing stock of the gun world.
View Quote
I see what you did there.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 12:39:43 PM EDT
[#46]
I built up an Imbel a few years ago when i got a good DSA receiver for it.  It's a fun range gun with real good lockup, 2-3 MOA and no vertical stringing.  

I have a mint STG-58 kit that I'm waiting for one day 922(r) to go away so I can use all original parts (except receiver).  I know, I know, it's never going away, but I can still wish.  Be nice if we had some republicans in Congress to change that stupid law.

But I still have like 8-10 Imbel and Rhodesian parts kits sitting in my shop.  And like 20-30 sets of Rhodesian furniture with original baby shit paint.  And probably 60+ magazines, including a few SA 30-rounders.

You guys really don't want to know how very little I paid for any of that stuff.  I really miss ammunitionstore.com and FAC.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 12:47:19 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I bought a G1 parts kit when they were still available.  One day...
View Quote
I built a G1 kit and L1A1 kit. Love them.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 12:53:25 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

What's the story on the DSA receivers? 15+ years ago they were kind of the gold standard.
View Quote
They were made by someone else. With some google effort you can find out the details (likely on FALfiles). The location and serial number will let you know if it is the older factory or the newer DSA factory.

I have a newer DSA receiver that I used for my inch build. It works fine, but I did have to use a locking shoulder that was out of the usual range.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 12:54:21 PM EDT
[#49]
Some of this stuff runs in cycles, and there are plenty of countries with FALs in storage/use still that may export them as parts kits.

Though...screw Bush II
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 12:58:22 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Just like the AR-15 owns the world of 5.56, the AR10-type rifle owns the 7.62x51 world now.

FALs, G3-types, etc, are just fun curios at this point. The goddamned AR is so fucking awesome its actually making the gun world a little boring.
View Quote
7.62 NATO rifles are mostly for fun anymore.

An AR10 would be more accurate but I'd probably want it in 6.5.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top