Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 7:07:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Welcome to the WNY old house club. That looks awesome.

Then again, I can't smell it through the internet.

There is a lot of good advice in this thread. Buy a respirator and wear it. They make disposable ones for auto body use that work well and aren't expensive.

I agree that the place could be loaded with treasure. Take your time going through everything.  I've found some cool old things at my place, and that's after the previous owners cleaned it out. I can only imagine what might be found in a house like that.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 7:14:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

We don't mow lawns except our commercial accounts and we sure as hell don't drive old half ton pickups. We do more landscape construction, build & design etc. By no means have i hit a million in business per year yet but we're growing at a steady pace. All of my equipment is paid for and my business has zero debt. Guys in my area see 200k for one single commercial snow removal contract (5 months). We have some healthy contracts in place and our residential build out business is strong. I do okay for myself.

ETA: Here's a clients property with one of my rigs. We're flashy around here

http://i.imgur.com/CXCdEqS.jpg
View Quote
Looks like that could be in hills surrounding Kissing Bridge\Colden area?
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 7:19:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Western New York off Lake Erie
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
How far upstate?
Western New York off Lake Erie
I'm in Erie and would be down to help. I'm out in WNY to shoot bolt guns on a 750yd stretch of property every so often, but would be happy to come out and help as you can't be too far down 90 (before or after the reservation?).
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 7:20:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Tag.

You're not far from me, OP.  Couple hours.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 7:58:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Okay I'm here and grabbed a shit ton of pictures. Found some fine China and military uniforms. I'll upload when I get home I'm cutting some trees down
View Quote
Excellent, in for the pics.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 8:22:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Tagging this one.

Live in a house purchased from the estate of a family member. We got the house and what nobody else in the family had any interest in.

No hoarding but a fully stocked tool shed was left behind. Still finding cool things I didn't know we had.

No cash stashes except for the $7 I found behind a drawer in the master bathroom.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 8:26:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Southern Erie County here what town is that in? I am all over and don't recognize the truck or neon green trailer.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 8:44:26 PM EDT
[#8]
so tagging this!!!
Looks neat OP
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 9:45:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Southern Erie County here what town is that in? I am all over and don't recognize the truck or neon green trailer.
View Quote
I'm between OP and East Aurora.

Most of our contracts are in the north towns around Clarence Center.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 9:58:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Okay here's the pics I took tonight. Let's see if they'll upload from my phone

Link Posted: 8/9/2017 10:03:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We don't mow lawns except our commercial accounts and we sure as hell don't drive old half ton pickups. We do more landscape construction, build & design etc. By no means have i hit a million in business per year yet but we're growing at a steady pace. All of my equipment is paid for and my business has zero debt. Guys in my area see 200k for one single commercial snow removal contract (5 months). We have some healthy contracts in place and our residential build out business is strong. I do okay for myself.

ETA: Here's a clients property with one of my rigs. We're flashy around here

http://i.imgur.com/CXCdEqS.jpg
Ellicottville
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 10:17:34 PM EDT
[#12]
It would be a damn shame if those barn doors and any other old school wood with nice patina was burned or throw away.

You said the house is from the 1800's. Any idea of exactly how old and did you look under the siding to see how it was constructed.

The barns pictured in this thread are nothing like any barn I have ever seen in my area.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 10:24:46 PM EDT
[#13]
You know, I'm pretty sure that Ed Gein had a place that looked exactly like that.

Best of luck with your clean-out.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 10:49:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Anyone recognize those ribbons on the jacket? Looks like he was a Sergeant....
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 10:59:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Anyone recognize those ribbons on the jacket? Looks like he was a Sergeant....
View Quote
USAF, E7 Master Sergeant.  Vietnam era.  Need clear shot of ribbon rack in good light for a full reading, but some of the ribbons look like PUC, AFOUA with oak leaves and V device, Good Conduct, Longevity, Marksmanship, PME, VN Campaign Medal, RVN Gallantry Cross with Palm.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 11:05:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Might want to spend some time at a site like Replacements Ltd and search that china, might be worth a few bucks.  http://www.replacements.com/china/ria.htm

edit - typos
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 8:54:05 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

You know, I'm pretty sure that Ed Gein had a place that looked exactly like that.

View Quote
haha thanks man
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 9:21:09 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

haha thanks man
View Quote
wear a respirator in that shithole dude.

Let us know if you find anything cool
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 9:45:22 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Ask the fire department if they want to burn it for training.
View Quote
+1

great way to save a buck and make a new friend. extra friend points if you just happen to be finishing up the grilling burgers and dogs with a cooler full of ice cold water at about the same time they are finished with the training.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 9:53:57 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
+1

great way to save a buck and make a new friend. extra friend points if you just happen to be finishing up the grilling burgers and dogs with a cooler full of ice cold water at about the same time they are finished with the training.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
+1

Hell, I will donate a few thousand to the fire dept. and screw burgers i'll have steaks ready for those boys!
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 10:44:55 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 10:56:57 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote
This
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 11:25:35 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

haha thanks man

Unless it's wads of cash, gold, or silver. In that case, STFU.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 11:35:18 AM EDT
[#24]
distressed wood goes for good money
asbestos wrapped pipes might be a problem
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 3:50:51 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
distressed wood goes for good money
asbestos wrapped pipes might be a problem
View Quote
Yea it's tough to see anything in that gross mess
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 4:16:54 PM EDT
[#26]
Unbelieveable how some people live.
What a shit hole.
I bet there is a lot of cash stashes in that house.
How long since someone lived in it?
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 4:30:27 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
What a shit hole.
View Quote
Same family since it was build in late 1800s
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 4:41:30 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What a shit hole.
He means was someone living in it at recently as last week? Last year? 10 years ago?
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 5:22:50 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote
OP, check the lampshades.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 6:56:23 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

He means was someone living in it at recently as last week? Last year? 10 years ago?
View Quote
Vacant for 2 years guy died in a nursing home in January 2017
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 7:12:58 PM EDT
[#31]
Check everywhere for anything valuable. It is likely he had a stash of cash, guns, or gold.  Those old guys dont trust banks. You never know what he put away.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 7:33:39 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And be on the lookout for nipple belts in the closets.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 7:37:58 PM EDT
[#33]
Cut into the mattress.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 7:48:58 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Forgot about those. He was one fucked up person.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 7:51:20 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Cut into the mattress.
View Quote
Decades worth of concentrated old man farts overwhelming your senses all at once.  Japanese businessmen pay for stuff like that.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 8:02:05 PM EDT
[#36]
how many miles are on that grey car bro? Is it in good condition once cleaned up? I can imagine a layer of dust, looks like mid 80s-early 90s grand marquis or crown vic to me
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 8:08:57 PM EDT
[#37]
If the house has been there, in the same family, since the 1800's, I can almost guarantee there is some valuable shit hiding in various parts of the house.

I'd love to help you dig into it if I wasn't on the other side of the country.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 8:09:39 PM EDT
[#38]
Get a roll off.  Start picking up the paper in the rooms into those contractor garbage bags.  Shuffle through ALL the paper before putting it in the bags.  Look in ALL books for cash!  Lots of times even inside the binding of the books, etc.  People mentioned the walls.  Look inside the vents/ducts if it has a furnace.  Look on top of all basement duct work.  Does it have an attic?  Look UNDER the insulation for guns, lock boxes, etc.  look inside any upholstered furniture.  Cut the shit out of it.  Search INSIDE any old Wood console TV you find.  Cut the mattress.  Have fun.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 8:30:15 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
What a shit hole.
View Quote
I went to look at an empty and freshly cleaned rental house this week. The carpets had even been shampooed.  

Mind you, I've got a fairly strong stomach and can deal with odors like toxic megacolon in the OR. My kids warned me the place smelled like sewage. I stepped inside and decided to take a deep breath of a potential place to live. Gagging, I left without penetrating the building beyond the entryway.

It would have taken one of these 24/7 for me to tolerate that place's palpable decaying urine stench:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/3M-Medium-Professional-Multi-Purpose-Respirator-62023HA1-C/202080144
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 2:30:14 AM EDT
[#40]
Had an old farmer near me pass about 20 years back. He was a widower and childless. He was in the hospital for about a month before he departed. He asked to see his neighbor. His neighbor was a local cop, a well liked guy. My girl at the time was a nurse and was party to a few of their conversations and shared a bit with me, in confidence. The cop was hanging around waiting for a chance to be chief. He, all the sudden retires. Next thing, he's got a second story on his house. New truck, Big boat, RV. The old guy had cash and coin and buried it in jars on the fence lines. It was a 4 acre farm with the house in the center. The four "legs" that went out from the house, It was jar after jar of cash, gold and silver. Do I know this for sure ? No. I did see a backhoe on the property for a few weeks and people talk... 2 years go by and the property has been for sale for a while. Price is kinda high. Now I'm getting married to another girl and her uncle has $$$ and has bought the land behind the house, he's building a golf course. It's Thanksgiving and I tell him what I know and he just buys it. Now I live half a mile from this place and drive by it at least once a day. I see my uncle in law to be with a metal detector..... More than once. I got married in May and my new uncle smiled at me at the wedding, grabbed my hand and gave me an envelope with 3K in it.

OP, Look everywhere...... Rent a metal detector. Old posts, dry wells, old outhouses, every pile of rocks.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 11:11:15 AM EDT
[#41]
This thread pertains to my interests. My wife has a bachelor uncle, who is not a hoarder, but is a tightwad. He just bought a new car with cash because his old one died. He's on of those who runs them into the ground before gets another. He doesn't trust banks, and has few living relatives. Everyone speculates what he has in his house. Dunno if anyone will really get a chance to search his house after he dies, since his sister is executor of his estate.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 12:12:55 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Had an old farmer near me pass about 20 years back. He was a widower and childless. He was in the hospital for about a month before he departed. He asked to see his neighbor. His neighbor was a local cop, a well liked guy. My girl at the time was a nurse and was party to a few of their conversations and shared a bit with me, in confidence. The cop was hanging around waiting for a chance to be chief. He, all the sudden retires. Next thing, he's got a second story on his house. New truck, Big boat, RV. The old guy had cash and coin and buried it in jars on the fence lines. It was a 4 acre farm with the house in the center. The four "legs" that went out from the house, It was jar after jar of cash, gold and silver. Do I know this for sure ? No. I did see a backhoe on the property for a few weeks and people talk... 2 years go by and the property has been for sale for a while. Price is kinda high. Now I'm getting married to another girl and her uncle has $$ and has bought the land behind the house, he's building a golf course. It's Thanksgiving and I tell him what I know and he just buys it. Now I live half a mile from this place and drive by it at least once a day. I see my uncle in law to be with a metal detector..... More than once. I got married in May and my new uncle smiled at me at the wedding, grabbed my hand and gave me an envelope with 3K in it.

OP, Look everywhere...... Rent a metal detector. Old posts, dry wells, old outhouses, every pile of rocks.
View Quote
Wow.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 8:10:17 PM EDT
[#43]
There was an elderly couple who lived next to my parents when I was a child.  We lived in a rural area.  The elderly couple were very thrifty and didn't believe in banks.  Their grocery shopping consisted of just the basics, milk, break, large bucket of lard, bacon, bulk meats, etc.  I

I remember visiting my neighbors with my grandfather when I was young.  I had brought along my metal detector.  I searched in the yard, around the driveway, etc, and found a few pennies, misc junk, etc.  My      grandfather and neighbor were sitting on a large porch which was probably 4 ft off the ground.  My grandfather shouts at me to come look under the porch.  I walk to the porch and proceed to get ready to craw under the porch.  My neighbor jumps up and starts shouting at me to not under the porch while my grandfather starts laughing.

I never understood why he didn't want me underneath the porch until the elderly couple passed away years later.  The old man and woman stashed all their cash, over many years, in jars and lard cans throughout the property.  Their relatives found jars and cans of money underneath the porch, in junk cars on the property, around the fence line, underneath the boards of the outhouse, and even in the walls of the house.  I've thought about asking the new owners to allow me to search around the property.  I'm almost certain the relatives didn't find all of the hiding places around the property.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 8:11:53 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
There was an elderly couple who lived next to my parents when I was a child.  We lived in a rural area.  The elderly couple were very thrifty and didn't believe in banks.  Their grocery shopping consisted of just the basics, milk, break, large bucket of lard, bacon, bulk meats, etc.  I

I remember visiting my neighbors with my grandfather when I was young.  I had brought along my metal detector.  I searched in the yard, around the driveway, etc, and found a few pennies, misc junk, etc.  My      grandfather and neighbor were sitting on a large porch which was probably 4 ft off the ground.  My grandfather shouts at me to come look under the porch.  I walk to the porch and proceed to get ready to craw under the porch.  My neighbor jumps up and starts shouting at me to not under the porch while my grandfather starts laughing.

I never understood why he didn't want me underneath the porch until the elderly couple passed away years later.  The old man and woman stashed all their cash, over many years, in jars and lard cans throughout the property.  Their relatives found jars and cans of money underneath the porch, in junk cars on the property, around the fence line, underneath the boards of the outhouse, and even in the walls of the house.  I've thought about asking the new owners to allow me to search around the property.  I'm almost certain the relatives didn't find all of the hiding places around the property.
View Quote
Damn I can only hope. I'm out of town right now but my old man said he's going there today to do more searching. Hopefully he comes up with something.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 8:30:13 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Vacant for 2 years guy died in a nursing home in January 2017
View Quote
Who was the seller? Local family? Distant family? Other?

It looks like whoever sold it wanted absolutely nothing to do with it.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 8:35:56 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
What a shit hole.
View Quote
I've seen vacant houses in that condition before.

I wonder if the explanation for it is as simple as... single occupant becomes disabled, can't bend, pick things up, make repairs or take out heavy trash... but the papers and magazines still keep coming every day.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 8:45:50 AM EDT
[#47]
Contact the American Pickers guys.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 8:53:01 AM EDT
[#48]
I've see that as well. Saw a place where an old lady lived. It must have had 10,000 news papers in it.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 9:34:31 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I wonder if the explanation for it is as simple as... single occupant becomes disabled, can't bend, pick things up, make repairs or take out heavy trash... but the papers and magazines still keep coming every day.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What a shit hole.

Yes.

Doesn't necessarily have to be a creepy hoarder, could just be an old man doing the best he could without any support.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 11:29:44 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Who was the seller? Local family? Distant family? Other?

It looks like whoever sold it wanted absolutely nothing to do with it.
View Quote
His brother sold it to me. It wasn't even for sale I contacted my local town and got the owners info. I wrote him a letter, met up, and cut a deal with him for the property. He was over 80 years old and lived across state in Albany. He was the only living family member left and was sick of paying the taxes for his brother. The property was fully willed to him in January but he's been paying the expenses for years he told me.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top