Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/23/2017 7:49:20 AM EDT
I live in Texas, and even though some of you make fun of our laws, many of them are getting better. starting september 1st, Shockwaves will be legal to own. I like those because it's a big middle finger to the ATF, which is cool. But I also understand the limitations of a PG 12 gauge, and I'm not allowed to shoot shotguns at my local range, so it would be more a range toy for trips or live in the front seat of the truck for Mad Max type adventures.

We are also able to carry daggers, big-ass fixed blade knives or swords, or the infamous Bowie knife. I don't own any currently, but I do have a 5" blade (legal) that I don't carry much as it is.

The 3rd option is spend the money for a really nice Microtech or similar double sided OTF. We got OTF legal last year, and I carry and use my single sided HK OTF every day. I work in an office so it's nice to have access to a decent knife and it won't be subject to hard use.

So the question is what do I spend/waste some money on to celebrate? making a poll, but not including "get both" as I know this purchase is more of a waste than an investment in gear I'll fully utilize, so don't need to spend a whole month worth of daycare money on toys...
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 8:42:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Bowie knife never runs out of knife.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 8:45:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 10:07:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 10:14:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Real Bowie knives are never stupid. Shotguns can be.

You're not really from Texas, are you?
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 10:15:14 AM EDT
[#5]
INB4 the retirement crew

I'd get the shockwave
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 10:16:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Food.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 10:19:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Gun> knife all day
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 10:19:51 AM EDT
[#8]
All and all I'm pretty satisfied with the Shockwave, within it's limitations. The mini-shell adapter is a must-have. It really works well.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 10:21:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Everyone needs at least one good Bowie.

Link Posted: 7/23/2017 10:28:57 AM EDT
[#10]
I never understood the knife collector thing, it's just a hunk of metal with an edge on it.

Shotgun can at least be used to break stuff in  fun ways.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 10:31:43 AM EDT
[#11]
Ask yourself, what would you actually ever use?  Personally, I would never actually use a Bowie knife.  Mossberg Shockwave, yeah, I'd use that every now and then.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 10:32:54 AM EDT
[#12]
Shocker or spend the same amount of money on a really REALLY nice Bowie (cuz you're from frigging TEXAS, 'mano!!!).
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 10:39:23 AM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Shocker or spend the same amount of money on a really REALLY nice Bowie (cuz you're from frigging TEXAS, mano!!!).
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/50/cd/70/50cd708ee7eac3bc9708544778c4e5b1--knives-and-swords-knife-art.jpg
View Quote
Those are beautiful. But why'd you call him the Spanish word for hand?
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 10:40:48 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
nope, not from here. Live here, and my son was born here, but I will not claim to be from here. I know that lying about that gets you killed.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 10:41:21 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Food.
View Quote
 I'm already chubby, so good there.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 10:43:47 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I never understood the knife collector thing, it's just a hunk of metal with an edge on it.

Shotgun can at least be used to break stuff in  fun ways.
View Quote
and a gun is just a chunk of metal that throws lead. why do we need anything more than a Glock or ever need a second?

just kidding, guns rock. I don't collect knives but I do use them.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 10:43:56 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I live in Texas, and even though some of you make fun of our laws, many of them are getting better. starting september 1st, Shockwaves will be legal to own. I like those because it's a big middle finger to the ATF, which is cool. But I also understand the limitations of a PG 12 gauge, and I'm not allowed to shoot shotguns at my local range, so it would be more a range toy for trips or live in the front seat of the truck for Mad Max type adventures.

We are also able to carry daggers, big-ass fixed blade knives or swords, or the infamous Bowie knife. I don't own any currently, but I do have a 5" blade (legal) that I don't carry much as it is.

The 3rd option is spend the money for a really nice Microtech or similar double sided OTF. We got OTF legal last year, and I carry and use my single sided HK OTF every day. I work in an office so it's nice to have access to a decent knife and it won't be subject to hard use.

So the question is what do I spend/waste some money on to celebrate? making a poll, but not including "get both" as I know this purchase is more of a waste than an investment in gear I'll fully utilize, so don't need to spend a whole month worth of daycare money on toys...
View Quote

What law is being changed and goin into effect Sept 1st? Can someone post a link or a source?
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 10:44:54 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Those are beautiful. But why'd you call him the Spanish word for hand?
View Quote
LOL fixed.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 10:46:42 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Ask yourself, what would you actually ever use?  Personally, I would never actually use a Bowie knife.  Mossberg Shockwave, yeah, I'd use that every now and then.
View Quote
I'm honestly not sure what I would use. I know I could carry an OTF all the time, but really it's overkill for what I do with my EDC. I already have other shotguns for competition, birds, games, HD/zombies, blasting stuff, but I DO want to support companies that push the envelope gun law-wise.

I would occasionally carry a Bowie knife, especially like the one in this thread with micarta grips.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 10:47:33 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
LOL fixed.
View Quote
I saw what you did up there, hermano!

Link Posted: 7/23/2017 10:48:30 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
nope, not from here. Live here, and my son was born here, but I will not claim to be from here. I know that lying about that gets you killed.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 7/23/2017 10:50:25 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Everyone needs at least one good Bowie.

http://i.imgur.com/yWrGpCy.jpg
View Quote
can i get some details on that bottom blade? I've seen your taste in 1911s and carrying a Baer, so I'm inclined to trust your judgement.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 10:53:25 AM EDT
[#23]
How much money we talking about, by the way?

Just had another idea; you're in TX, why not a fancy belt rig to open carry your cuarenta y cinco y cuatro cagadores and your Bowie?  Lots of conchos, big silver buckle, engravings all over!  Yeehaw!!!
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 10:55:22 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
All and all I'm pretty satisfied with the Shockwave, within it's limitations. The mini-shell adapter is a must-have. It really works well.

http://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/88145/DSCN6504--2--245827.JPG
View Quote
Man, where did you get the OD furniture???  Me likey!!!
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 10:57:37 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 11:02:48 AM EDT
[#26]
Normally I'd vote gun, but since double-sided OTF is in your poll, I'm going to recommend an Infidel.

Mini or full size.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 11:10:37 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Man, where did you get the OD furniture???  Me likey!!!
View Quote
Out of a rattle can.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 11:46:14 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

What law is being changed and goin into effect Sept 1st? Can someone post a link or a source?
View Quote
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/07/11/texas-law-will-allow-open-carry-knives-swords.html

Search engines are your friends, well, they make it easy to find shit like this.

ETA - Get a fighting Bowie - and learn how to use it.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 11:50:00 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

can i get some details on that bottom blade? I've seen your taste in 1911s and carrying a Baer, so I'm inclined to trust your judgement.
View Quote
My judgement has proven suspect in the past, but that knife is tremendous.

It's the Bark River Survivor in 3V. It's bulletproof. Mike's about to do another run of these so a few should be available soon.

It's bigger than the pic below indicates 'cause perspective.

Link Posted: 7/23/2017 11:55:19 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/07/11/texas-law-will-allow-open-carry-knives-swords.html

Search engines are your friends, well, they make it easy to find shit like this.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Op said shockwaves will be legal from Sept. 1st. I'm well aware of the change to the KNIFE laws. The article only mentions the knives, where does it talk about the shockwave?
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 12:07:01 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Op said shockwaves will be legal from Sept. 1st. I'm well aware of the change to the KNIFE laws. The article only mentions the knives, where does it talk about the shockwave?
View Quote
Do you understand what "Tabs" are? It actually would've been easier for you to open another tab, and do your own search, than to post asking for a link, read the supplied link someone was nice enough to send you, and then post a follow up reply about the link they supplied not being the one your lazy ass needed. 

OP: Assign Bowie and Shockwave to heads and tails of a coin, flip, and let fate decide... Post results!
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 12:09:51 PM EDT
[#32]
I'm Eurotrash, and even I own a Bowie.

You call yourself a Texan?
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 5:05:40 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I'm Eurotrash, and even I own a Bowie.

You call yourself a Texan?
View Quote
honorary texan. I know better than to claim birth, but I do own property, so that's pretty solid right?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top