User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 10:03:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

When you can hit mizono blades pure you are pretty good at golf.
View Quote
my grandad gave me some Cobra blades when I started playing golf in college. 10% of my shots were amazing.

Ended up with some Wilsons that I still have. Been meaning to get back into it.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 10:02:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
my grandad gave me some Cobra blades when I started playing golf in college. 10% of my shots were amazing.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

When you can hit mizono blades pure you are pretty good at golf.

I learned on my dads persimmon wood blades from the 50s. Most of my golfing was on the wrong clubs until I got fitted. I went thru 4 sets over 23 years. I have 4 wedges, 3 woods.  I said I play by the book but I am breaking one rule. Too many clubs in my bag. So technically every round I shoot is not valid.

Went thru a bunch of drivers. Just by the 2 year old model for 150 bucks instead of 450. I snapped the head off of at least 2.

Need to fix that. Pros go thru a lot of thought on what clubs they carry depending on course. But they typically have a good amount of wedges.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 10:08:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Buy a cheap "starter set" from Golf galaxy.  Spend the extra money on a couple of lessons with a Pro. If your still hopped up in golf next year buy a good set of clubs.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 10:10:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Tommy Armour Silver Scot 845s. Still played on tour, IIRC.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 10:14:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Ebay!  Pick up an old titleist 905r off ebay if you want a cheap amazing driver.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 12:31:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

No shit?  Strong. I'm happy with 230 when I hit 3w on the screws.  Like a fucking airplane. It takes off.
View Quote
Yea. Sadly, it's usually 300 into the woods though.

I don't get to play enough to stay consistent.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 12:50:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
A used set of Ping Eye 2 clubs.
View Quote
+1.   Great clubs...then and now.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 5:57:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
No shit?  Strong. I'm happy with 230 when I hit 3w on the screws.  Like a fucking airplane. It takes off.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Go to a range / pro shop that will allow you to try out different sets. Do not buy a set only hitting into a net. It makes a huge difference to see the actual ball flight.

Get lessons too. If you're tall, get fitted. I'm 6'5" and ordered my clubs with longer shafts.  

I play Ping irons and Taylormade woods. No driver currently but the 3w will go 300+ yds.
I'm happy to hit my fuckin driver 230 from the tee.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 5:59:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I agree with this.

You also won't realize much of an advantage with expensive golfballs as a newbie; plus you'll lose a ton of them.

There are sites like "Lostgolfballs" where you can get relatively premium balls for cheap.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
As others have said, get a used set from one of the top of the line mfg's.

Titlest, Ping, Callaway, Taylor, Mizuno, ect.

There must be 10,000 videos on youtube that illustrate various versions of the "correct golf swing" as well as different "proper techinques" for chips and puttting.

There is no one way which works for everyone.
I agree with this.

You also won't realize much of an advantage with expensive golfballs as a newbie; plus you'll lose a ton of them.

There are sites like "Lostgolfballs" where you can get relatively premium balls for cheap.
Walmart sells used golf balls. They are called "Hit it again" or something like that. They are once used Nike, Bridgestone, and Titelist from what I saw today
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 6:34:08 AM EDT
[#10]
I'm 42 and still have the set of Spalding clubs I got in Jr. High.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 7:57:48 AM EDT
[#11]
Much of the offerings considered Game Improvement or Super Game Improvement will be what you're after.  I had a set of Callaway X-22 Hot that I really liked before I sold them.  You can find a set of those well in your budget.  I'd spend a little extra for a new set of grips and a fitting if you can.  I'm partial to the Winn oversized.  They're nice and soft and have plenty of grips when the hands get sweaty.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 3:00:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Find a couple of local courses that are decent.  Go see if they have any trade-in sets that you can hit to see if you like.  I was at a course on Friday that had Titleist 915D3 drivers, new still in wrapper, for $150.  The 3w was $125.  Find a used set of irons and a deal on the woods like I described and you could have a great set of clubs for $500 that would have some decent resale value if you decide to upgrade.  

I've been out of playing for about 8 years but have recently got back into because my 9yo is starting to play and I'm trying to get him started in tournaments.  I keep looking at upgrades but but Titleist 905F driver still puts me out at 275-300 consistently so it's hard to change.  If you find something that you can hit stick with them.  I have a buddy who gets a new set of clubs every year but is inconsistent.  Spend the money on lessons and rounds.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 3:11:51 PM EDT
[#13]
When I was in the same position as you a few years ago I ended up buying a set of Clevelands. Good price point and quality in my opinion, especially if you are just getting into it.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 3:44:57 PM EDT
[#14]
FIRST

Buy USED.  Shop Craigslist, Ebay, Second hand sports stores

IF and ONLY IF you like the game and really get into it then go buy new.

SECOND

Google "golf club distance chart", I taped the ranges onto each club.

That will show you how far you should be hitting the ball with each club.
If you are hitting within the average distances on the chart.......no need to swing harder.
The ball will not go any farther.

ie.....Don't get caught up in the distance thing......just swing the club and find your happy place.

The short game is where the real skill comes into play.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 3:48:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Go to Edwin Watts and look at their used clubs.

You can easily buy quality gear with a driver, wood, hybrid, irons, wedges, putter and bag for your goal price.

I am a fan of Pings and Callaways for just starting out as those clubs are most forgiving amd easiest to hit.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 9:23:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Ignore brand recommendations.  Especially buying used.

Get fitted. Get clubs that work for you. If you're high handicapper like me it will help big time.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top