Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/22/2017 3:53:34 PM EDT
So I'm thinking about picking up golf again, haven't played since college. A quick google search returns a bunch of recommendations for clubs that are forgiving for players that have a hard time making contact. I don't have a problem hitting the ball, just hitting it straight, so I'm not sure if I should go with their recommendations.

I'm thinking I don't want to spend anymore than $450-500.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 3:57:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 3:59:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
That would be a bad ass driver, but it would make putting a little tough.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 4:01:09 PM EDT
[#3]
$500 for just irons or a whole set?

I just got back into the game about two weeks ago. I had an old set of clubs but in the past week i have re-bought just about everything new.

Picked up a set of Taylormade M2 irons yesterday, and the M2 driver last week.

I also just bought a AW wedge that did not come with my set off of Ebay for
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 4:01:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
So I'm thinking about picking up golf again, haven't played since college. A quick google search returns a bunch of recommendations for clubs that are forgiving for players that have a hard time making contact. I don't have a problem hitting the ball, just hitting it straight, so I'm not sure if I should go with their recommendations.

I'm thinking I don't want to spend anymore than $450-500.
View Quote

If the golf ball ain't going straight, it's you, not the clubs. Buy used clubs and spend the difference on a lesson.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 4:01:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 4:03:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
$500 for just irons or a whole set?

I just got back into the game about two weeks ago. I had an old set of clubs but in the past week i have re-bought just about everything new.

Picked up a set of Taylormade M2 irons yesterday, and the M2 driver last week.

I also just bought a AW wedge that did not come with my set off of Ebay for
View Quote
I was thinking whole set but I honestly have no idea what that gets me.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 4:06:11 PM EDT
[#7]
If you don't have solid fundamentals to fall back on from when you did play I'd look for a used set of game improvement clubs.  More forgiving, lofted stronger for extra yardage.  Go somewhere with a sim you can swing on and try a few different sets and find what works.  After that as others have said, get a lesson.  Have fun.  
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 4:06:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

If the golf ball ain't going straight, it's you, not the clubs. Buy used clubs and spend the difference on a lesson.
View Quote
Thanks Captain Obvious, do you have a more specific recommendation for a set to look for?
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 4:18:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Cleveland CG4 irons, Taylormade R7 driver and fairway woods. You could put a set together for less than 300 bucks if you shop around. I play this set every week (low to mid 80's). Be aware these are 10 year old clubs. I also play Mizuno MP-60 blades on tight courses.

Check out globalgolf.com or 2swing.com
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 4:21:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Cleveland CG4 irons, Taylormade R7 driver and fairway woods. You could put a set together for less than 300 bucks if you shop around. I play this set every week (low to mid 80's). Be aware these are 10 year old clubs. I also play Mizuno MP-60 blades on tight courses.

View Quote
Thanks
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 4:24:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Thanks
View Quote
No problem. I should have asked, what kind of ball flight do you normally have?
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 4:33:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

No problem. I should have asked, what kind of ball flight do you normally have?
View Quote
From what I can remember I believe I hook bad off the tee
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 4:36:12 PM EDT
[#13]
ping, titeleist ,taylor made , callaway , mizuno , they all make great stuff
for beginners .
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 4:41:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Thanks Captain Obvious, do you have a more specific recommendation for a set to look for?
View Quote
I don't. My clubs are about 11 years old, and budget priced back then. But still have more capability than I do.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 4:42:40 PM EDT
[#15]
I play with a Callaway Fusion FTI square head driver and TaylorMade R11 fairway woods, My irons are Nike Slingshots and I absolutely love them, Adams oil can wedges and ping putter.

And I cant forget the Nike foot-wedge
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 4:45:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Go to a place that will fit you. It's free and they'll help pick clubs.  Popular beginner clubs have lots of hybrids. And it highly unlikely you need a stiff shaft. Doubtful your clubhead speed is as fast as you think unless you consistently break 300 with driver.

And hooking is easy to fix. It's your grip. Lessons.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 4:47:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

From what I can remember I believe I hook bad off the tee
View Quote
You'll like the R7 series driver/woods then. My miss is a hook as well, the R7 adjustable weights helped a lot. If you hook your irons you may want to consider Tour models like the CG4 Tour. The reduced offset helps with hooking.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 4:52:25 PM EDT
[#18]
A used set of Ping Eye 2 clubs.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 4:53:35 PM EDT
[#19]
I have a set of Callaway X16 steelhead irons. Very forgiving clubs.
TaylorMade 3/5/7 wood. I love these things
TaylorMade driver (R570 or something like that).

My brother is a TaylorMade junkie.  I got all his drivers when the newest one came out.  The irons were free. My other brother picked them up new ($1k) with airline miles, played with them once and didn't like 'em...
Good for me!

But all my shit is 10-12 years old. I just started playing again this year. And no, I can't drive a ball straight to save my life...
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 4:54:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I don't. My clubs are about 11 years old, and budget priced back then. But still have more capability than I do.
View Quote
Does the brand come down to personal preference/comfort?
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 5:09:07 PM EDT
[#21]
I bought a set from one of the ebay stores.  Saved a lot of money.  Buy used and you'll save even more.  Major manufacturers generally make 3 different types of clubs to match how well you swing the club, based on your average score.  A hacker won't do well with clubs designed for a golfer that shoots in the low to mid seventies, they're not as forgiving of mishits.  Match the clubs to your game.  No club will help you hit the ball straighter.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 5:23:26 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes. But you want Them to compliment and work with your swing and ball flight. Go see a pro. You'll be very happy you did. I got fitted and they changed a lot. Added half inch. Loft. Very nice oversize grips, etc. then they order from factory with those specs.  really helped my game and I'm hitting a lot more greens which was what I wanted. Calloway irons. All the big names are good but they're all somewhat different.

Also see my post about hybrids. They really help. Only club I like as much as my 3 wood is a bimetal shaft 3 hybrid. 200 yards like an arrow. I still carry a 3 iron for 180-190. I absolutely love bimetal shafts.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 5:24:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Get a custom fitted set based on your swing tendencies.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 5:38:55 PM EDT
[#24]
As others have said, get a used set from one of the top of the line mfg's.

Titlest, Ping, Callaway, Taylor, Mizuno, ect.

There must be 10,000 videos on youtube that illustrate various versions of the "correct golf swing" as well as different "proper techinques" for chips and puttting.

There is no one way which works for everyone.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 5:44:32 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
As others have said, get a used set from one of the top of the line mfg's.

Titlest, Ping, Callaway, Taylor, Mizuno, ect.

There must be 10,000 videos on youtube that illustrate various versions of the "correct golf swing" as well as different "proper techinques" for chips and puttting.

There is no one way which works for everyone.
View Quote
I agree with this.

You also won't realize much of an advantage with expensive golfballs as a newbie; plus you'll lose a ton of them.

There are sites like "Lostgolfballs" where you can get relatively premium balls for cheap.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 5:47:02 PM EDT
[#26]
Bought a set of tour force.  
Been happy with them.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 5:54:31 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I agree with this.

You also won't realize much of an advantage with expensive golfballs as a newbie; plus you'll lose a ton of them.

There are sites like "Lostgolfballs" where you can get relatively premium balls for cheap.
View Quote
I like pro v1 and Bridgestone. The v1 will punish you if you spin it wrong (that hook op has will look like a boomerang) but will reward you when you want to work the ball. But not for a high handicapper.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 6:07:32 PM EDT
[#28]
Adams a12os Irons. Pretty forgiving, and a set can be found cheap on ebay
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 6:35:40 PM EDT
[#29]
Have had great luck with Globalgolf.com

Find what you want by hitting them at a golf store. Search Global for some used ones.

Be aware their condition rating system is wrong. Every club I have got from them has been much better condition than what I expected.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 6:41:01 PM EDT
[#30]
1) get fitted at a golf store
2) buy off ebay
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 6:48:17 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Have had great luck with Globalgolf.com

Find what you want by hitting them at a golf store. Search Global for some used ones.

Be aware their condition rating system is wrong. Every club I have got from them has been much better condition than what I expected.
View Quote
As long as the heads and groves aren't worn to crap used is as good as new. Grips as well but it's cheap to get grips you like put on. I got some very nice oversize sticky grips when I got fitted. Made a huge difference as I could loosen my grip. 6'3" and I can palm a bball.

Get fitted. That's way more important than what brand or model clubs you get
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 6:49:27 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
1) get fitted at a golf store
2) buy off ebay
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 7:05:24 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Get a custom fitted set based on your swing tendencies.
View Quote
No.

He is getting a beginner set. Fix your swing first and foremost see if you like it. When you start shooting low 90s consistently and on random course start thinking about custom clubs IMO.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 7:27:48 PM EDT
[#34]
Pick up a set of used Taylormades for the irons. Probably $200 at the most.  Ive been out of the driver game for a while so I dont have a recommendation. Putter go with whatever is most comfortable.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 7:31:05 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

No.

He is getting a beginner set. Fix your swing first and foremost see if you like it. When you start shooting low 90s consistently and on random course start thinking about custom clubs IMO.
View Quote
Tend to agree. We don't know what he shoots or what the problem areas are. I'm no great golfer. I'm very happy with below 90. Below 85 I'm ecstatic. I play by the book though. That will change your score big time.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 7:32:53 PM EDT
[#36]
I'm a Titleist player so all I can suggest is a set of AP 1s. They are somewhere between a beginners club and a players club. If you buy used they should be in your ballpark. Good luck on your journey.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 7:33:55 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Pick up a set of used Taylormades for the irons. Probably $200 at the most.  Ive been out of the driver game for a while so I dont have a recommendation. Putter go with whatever is most comfortable.
View Quote
I grabbed 10 putters that felt good. Didn't care about design or price. Hit 5 balls with each. Took the 3 that felt good and were consistent.

I think I'm one of the few people that have the 3 ball Odessy putter. But that on every ball was inside 6 inches. Sold.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 7:35:15 PM EDT
[#38]
Used Ping I series. Probably find some used i-20s in that range.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 7:36:17 PM EDT
[#39]
Pick your preferred brand. Find a used set. You want shafts that match your swing speed. Regrip if necessary.

Go play and train.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 7:37:23 PM EDT
[#40]
Too bad you're not in my area, I'd make you a deal on some Callaway irons and Taylormade's that I haven't used for years.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 7:39:10 PM EDT
[#41]
get this right here.

Complete set  

If you like the game, and keep on playing you can upgrade later.  Trying to buy bits and pieces off CL or Ebay for the next month will drive you insane and by the time you fill out a bag you'll be close to $500 anyway.  Just do it in one swoop.

For the record, I play Ping G25 irons (blue dot), Nike driver that I love love love, Taylor Made fairways, Callaway hybrid, Ping zing putter, and Srixon balls.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 7:48:07 PM EDT
[#42]
Get out and play golf. You'll make some friends eventually come across someone who wants to pick up 2018 clubs and will ditch their 2017 clubs for cheap, offer $87.

Bought a set of Mizuno MP-33's for $150 from a guy upgrading his set.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 7:51:48 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Get out and play golf. You'll make some friends eventually come across someone who wants to pick up 2018 clubs and will ditch their 2017 clubs for cheap, offer $87.

Bought a set of Mizuno MP-33's for $150 from a guy upgrading his set.
View Quote
You stole those.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 7:57:18 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

You stole those.
View Quote
It was more a reason for him to justify new clubs. So I was an accessory.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 8:10:06 PM EDT
[#45]
I got a set of Wilson irons.  Got measured and had the shafts made a little longer because in 6'4"   

I forget the total cost but I think I paid around $300.  I play a few times each year at outings and they serve me well.  For driver and woods, buy used and get last year's models much cheaper. 
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 8:34:06 PM EDT
[#46]
Globalgolf.com. Love that place
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 8:40:28 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You stole those.
When you can hit mizono blades pure you are pretty good at golf.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 8:40:40 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote
I got a set of irons for like $60 from globalgolf, paid about $20 for a putter, and can't remember how much the 3 and 5 wood I got were. I realistically will play maybe 2-3 times a year tops, so I got the clubs they list as value. Obviously have been played, but for as infrequently as I golf, are plenty good enough.

I got sick of sharing my dad's clubs. I also got a small golf bag off Amazon for around $50. Less than $150 invested, and I have everything I need to hit the links anyday.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 8:55:30 PM EDT
[#49]
Go to a range / pro shop that will allow you to try out different sets. Do not buy a set only hitting into a net. It makes a huge difference to see the actual ball flight.

Get lessons too. If you're tall, get fitted. I'm 6'5" and ordered my clubs with longer shafts.  

I play Ping irons and Taylormade woods. No driver currently but the 3w will go 300+ yds.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 9:28:45 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Go to a range / pro shop that will allow you to try out different sets. Do not buy a set only hitting into a net. It makes a huge difference to see the actual ball flight.

Get lessons too. If you're tall, get fitted. I'm 6'5" and ordered my clubs with longer shafts.  

I play Ping irons and Taylormade woods. No driver currently but the 3w will go 300+ yds.
View Quote
No shit?  Strong. I'm happy with 230 when I hit 3w on the screws.  Like a fucking airplane. It takes off.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top