Navy Railgun Successfully Fires Multi-Shot Salvos

Put that bastard on the USS Giffords!

If dupe, pls delete. Search yielded nothing
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 3:28:35 PM EDT
[#1]
It works. 
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 3:36:27 PM EDT
[#2]
I really want to know how they figured out rail erosion. The technology for guidance, capacitors, etc has been there since the 90s but rail life was awful.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 3:37:15 PM EDT
[#3]
That is neat. We need to get them to sea quickly.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 3:37:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Magnets
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 3:38:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I really want to know how they figured out rail erosion. The technology for guidance, capacitors, etc has been there since the 90s but rail life was awful.
View Quote
If/when they do, the technology/material sciences will be highly secret.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 3:41:14 PM EDT
[#6]
OK....so where is the rapid continuous fire!!!!!!
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 3:42:03 PM EDT
[#7]

Yes.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 3:43:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
That is neat. We need to get them to sea quickly.
View Quote
Yes.  Over to the waters off N. Korea.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 3:45:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Rock and roll!
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 3:46:23 PM EDT
[#10]
That thing looks big enough that we'll have to bring back battleships to mount them on. A rail gun broadside would be neat to see.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 3:46:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
OK....so where is the rapid continuous fire!!!!!!
View Quote
Yes, they seem to have a different definition.
I want to see impact on target videos.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 3:51:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Big woop. I can double tap faster than that.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 3:52:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Aren't they supposed to be doing sea trials with it this fall? At least that's what I'd heard last. 
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 3:54:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
That thing looks big enough that we'll have to bring back battleships to mount them on. A rail gun broadside would be neat to see.
View Quote
Zumwalts.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 3:54:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Outstanding! How soon can we miniaturize it?

Link Posted: 7/22/2017 3:54:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QO_zXuOQy6A" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QO_zXuOQy6A

Put that bastard on the USS Giffords!
View Quote
Head shots only though.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 3:55:11 PM EDT
[#17]
lol Navy...
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 3:58:20 PM EDT
[#18]
What's the point? What do they plan to shoot, other than the taxpayer's wallets?
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 3:59:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Posleen must be coming.  
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 4:01:59 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
What's the point? What do they plan to shoot, other than the taxpayer's wallets?
View Quote
23 mile range for surface bombardment. $500 7# steel slug hitting like a 1000# bomb at Mach 7. The idea is to put it on figures and destroyers for shallower waters for surface support or closer range fucking things up. 

Still a hell of a lot safer than a full magazine of shells if something goes wrong or they take a hit. Then again, fuck if I know what will happen if caps that big pop off. 
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 4:04:46 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote
DF-21s
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 4:08:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Outstanding! How soon can we miniaturize it?

https://thepropstop.files.wordpress.com/2013/12/new_railgun_021.jpg
View Quote
My understanding is that the hard part is the power source.

Were working on that though.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 4:09:18 PM EDT
[#23]
It's cool to watch the evolution into something resembling a weapon.

But why isn't this Top Secret.  It's almost like the manufacturer wants us to get into a RailGun race.....

And what are they shooting at?     Where's it landing?
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 4:11:44 PM EDT
[#24]
Why is there smoke?  Like from gunpowder??

Railguns don't use chemical propellant they use magnets so???
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 4:11:59 PM EDT
[#25]
Potentially stupid question. Why is there a cloud of smoke after it fires when it isn't burning propellent?
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 4:12:37 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote
The thought of that gives me a freedom boner.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 4:14:59 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
23 mile range for surface bombardment. $500 7# steel slug hitting like a 1000# bomb at Mach 7. The idea is to put it on figures and destroyers for shallower waters for surface support or closer range fucking things up. 

Still a hell of a lot safer than a full magazine of shells if something goes wrong or they take a hit. Then again, fuck if I know what will happen if caps that big pop off. 
View Quote
That was a major selling point - getting the energetics off ships.  Another plus is you basically at least double your magazine capacity because you no longer have to carry separate powder charges.  Safety comes into play because you can't get a round cooking off in a hot gun.  Believe me, a misfire in a hot gun is an asshole puckering event!

A capacitor that big exploding would be "exciting" though...
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 4:15:45 PM EDT
[#28]
Neat.

Can someone explain the muzzle report? Is it just a reaction from heat with the atmosphere? I was under the impression an inert slug was accelerated with magnets, so there wouldn't be some chemical reaction on that end.

ETA: Beat by a few minutes.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 4:17:35 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Neat.

Can someone explain the muzzle report? Is it just a reaction from heat with the atmosphere? I was under the impression an inert slug was accelerated with magnets, so there wouldn't be some chemical reaction on that end.
View Quote
rail erosion. they're up to hundreds of shots per barrel now and aiming for thousands, so the problem must be fixed.

supposedly it's better rail material plus metallic lubrication.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 4:18:13 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote
How long until they can mount one on an A10??
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 4:18:53 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Neat.

ETA: Beat by a few minutes.
View Quote
I think it's the compressed air in front of the slug igniting.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 4:21:44 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Yes, they seem to have a different definition.
I want to see impact on target videos.
View Quote
This, stick a target ship down range!
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 4:22:27 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote
Just stop with this nonsense, you're literally bitching about the next major evolution in arms.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 4:22:53 PM EDT
[#34]
But can it hit anything?
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 4:24:22 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Just stop with this nonsense, you're literally bitching about the next major evolution in arms.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I was gonna make a big deal out of the tent, and it not being weatherproof and thus too sensitive for naval operations.

WASTE OF MONEY!! SHUT IT DOWN!!!
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 4:25:21 PM EDT
[#36]
Hey this is probably a dumb question but where is all the white smoke coming from?  There is no burning propellant so is it from the heat and friction ?
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 4:25:46 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Potentially stupid question. Why is there a cloud of smoke after it fires when it isn't burning propellent?
View Quote
wondering this to. is it a RAP projectile or something?
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 4:26:14 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote
I would assume that is from the projectile as its being propelled + friction
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 4:27:42 PM EDT
[#39]
Line up a bunch of liberals and see how many it will go through.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 4:29:50 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Except for the nuke reactors needed to power it
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 4:31:26 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote
The Brits are running their EMALS off a gas turbine.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 4:32:18 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 4:34:16 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I would assume that is from the projectile as its being propelled + friction
View Quote
I imagine it's also the lubricants on the rails causing the smoke.

So, when can I get my man-portable Gauss rifle? 
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 4:35:15 PM EDT
[#44]
Two questions:

1. How practical is that thing in terms of energy requirements, maintenance, etc.

2. How is it superior to conventional ordnance?

Is it the answer to a Buck Rogers question that really doesn't need answering? I mean, it's cool and all, but isn't it bazillions of dollars when we already have guns?
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 4:35:24 PM EDT
[#45]
I feel like I've spent my entire life hearing about Navy railgun tests.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 4:37:36 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Could these things be made to work in a Tank?
View Quote
I'm sure that's coming.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 4:38:16 PM EDT
[#47]
Railgun or lasergun, which one will happen first?
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 4:39:10 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Two questions:

1. How practical is that thing in terms of energy requirements, maintenance, etc.

2. How is it superior to conventional ordnance?

Is it the answer to a Buck Rogers question that really doesn't need answering? I mean, it's cool and all, but isn't it bazillions of dollars when we already have guns?
View Quote
To answer number 2, you can't jam a bullet.

And if it's going REALLY stupid fast, you can't shoot it down either.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 4:39:34 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Railgun or lasergun, which one will happen first?
View Quote
We're already burning things out of the sky with lasers.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 4:41:32 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

But why isn't this Top Secret.  It's almost like the manufacturer wants us to get into a RailGun race.....

View All Quotes
Quoted:

I don't think they've ever shown the gun without the shrouds on it, so you don't see much.  There are a couple of outfits building them, with the 'how' well known.  It's going from 'how' to practical use that's the bastard.  They kinda tend to blow up or eat themselves if not done right.  But that's something you can't tell by looking at the outside.

They've shot at everything from trucks to (I think) 12x foot thick reinforced concrete walls.  Straight shots not lobbed though.

Quoted:
Why is there smoke? Like from gunpowder??

Railguns don't use chemical propellant they use magnets so???
Quoted:
You're looking at probably thousands of amps getting shoved through the system in a tiny tiny fraction of a second.  The smoke and flame is from the heat literally vaporizing part of the rails and a decent chunk of the protective cover on the slug.  So not smoke so much as eleventybillion degree cloud of vaporized metal and plastics flashing off in the air.  At least my understanding of it.

I think they solved the issue with rail erosion by ceramic coating them, but haven't really seen anything to confirm that.  It was a huge issue that they seemingly got past though.  Before it was one shot, replace the rails, one shot, etc because it was destroying them so fast.

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They were going to mount it on an Arleigh Burke class last I heard.  Those are powered by 4x 19,570kW turbines, so they make a good amount of power.  The big issue was getting caps to charge fast enough to be usable but not pop on them.  Granted, this is all non .mil stuff I've read, so reality could be way different.  Could have been the Zumwalt too.  Memory is kinda shit these days.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top