Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/20/2017 9:38:47 PM EDT
Just came from there...

Go see it ...it's a must.... even better I saw it in IMAX....

That is all...
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 9:40:28 PM EDT
[#1]
I.....   had a feeling............ that it.........  might be a good one..............
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 9:48:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Are you aware that there are people in this world who have a severe medical condition which causes them to be that way? My mother, for example is one of those people. She is a truck driver with bad knees from driving...

..oh. Wrong thread.

I really want to see Dunkerque also. I read the book when I was a teen. The civilian mobilization of assorted vessels and crews was incredible. Fishing boats, pleasure boats, kids, old men.. wow.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 9:54:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Oh hell... going this weekend. It appears to be a good'un.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 10:00:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Just in case you missed the hint....

Go see it IMAX...

X87
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 1:24:00 AM EDT
[#5]
I saw it in IMAX this evening.  It's outstanding.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 7:17:23 AM EDT
[#6]
I saw the 6pm in IMAX last night. The movie was fantastic. The aerial cinematography was the best I've ever seen, and I've seen probably every aircraft movie from Wings to Flyboys.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 8:07:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Just came from there...

Go see it ...it's a must.... even better I saw it in IMAX....

That is all...
View Quote

+1!!!!!
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 8:15:35 AM EDT
[#8]
I saw it last night as well, but a couple things stood out to me that bothered me. There were over 400,000 men on the beach yet they never made it seem as such. The most you ever saw were a few thousand and most shots made the beaches look mostly desolate. When the small boats showed up, they were very few in number. I'm to believe that small number of boats evacuated 335,000 men at once? Also, where did the U-boat go after its torpedo sank the destroyer? 

Overall it was a good movie. It didn't "feel" like a CGI fuckfest except when the spitfire ran out of fuel and was coasting along. That felt very fake and out of place considering the rest of the movie was better. 
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 8:20:33 AM EDT
[#9]
What I want to know before I watch it is, are minorities and women, and even transgendered equally represented in this film?

If not I don't want to support it with my hard earned money.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 8:30:07 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What I want to know before I watch it is, are minorities and women, and even transgendered equally represented in this film?

If not I don't want to support it with my hard earned money.
View Quote
There's a Spitfire that self identifies as a glider. 
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 10:07:53 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
There's a Spitfire that self identifies as a glider. 
View Quote
Yeah that was a little wonky to me, too.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 4:35:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Saw it earlier today.  Definitely a must see.  Very well done. 
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 4:39:47 PM EDT
[#13]
My understanding is that it doesn't have enough minorites or females in it.
Sounds good, I'll be seeing it some time during the week when the crowds are less.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 5:17:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Are you aware that there are people in this world who have a severe medical condition which causes them to be that way? My mother, for example is one of those people. She is a truck driver with bad knees from driving...

..oh. Wrong thread.

I really want to see Dunkerque also. I read the book when I was a teen. The civilian mobilization of assorted vessels and crews was incredible. Fishing boats, pleasure boats, kids, old men.. wow.
View Quote
where does the oft repeated mother who is a truck driver.... Come from?
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 6:21:30 PM EDT
[#15]
It was not what I expected, had some good moments but 1-10 id give it a 4.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 6:29:52 PM EDT
[#16]
The most complete movie experience.

The sound makes you feel as if youre in the spitfire, or on the beaxh, or in the ship.

Movie is going to get some serious awards.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 6:30:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote
You're on drugs.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 6:35:18 PM EDT
[#18]
I heard there's not many people of color in it...
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 6:47:51 PM EDT
[#19]
AAR as published by London Gazette post war from VADM Ramsay, Flag Officer Dover, Commanding, DYNAMO.

http://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/UN/UK/LondonGazette/38017.pdf
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 7:32:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Just got back. It's worth seeing, big screen and rumble seats are worth paying extra for.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 8:30:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote
lol
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 8:41:26 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote
Not the first "Meh" review I've seen here today.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 9:24:02 PM EDT
[#23]
No "meh" here. I saw it last night & thought it sucked.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 9:36:50 PM EDT
[#24]
Just got back.  I liked it a lot.  The one thing that you will notice is that the movie is NOT dialog driven.  Its frankly very sparse in dialog.  The story is carried by the "musical" score.  The score keeps you on edge.  
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 7:35:20 AM EDT
[#25]
Dunkirk Thread 6
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 7:39:53 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote
This for me is the important part of Dunkirk.

Civilians stopped what they were doing got in their boats and off they went, across the channel facing who knows what danger in boats like this. Happy to do so because they saw it as their duty to help their countrymen.

Link Posted: 7/22/2017 7:43:23 AM EDT
[#27]
Go see it.  IMAX if possible.  /thread
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 8:16:01 AM EDT
[#28]
Film was incredible. Absolutely amazing.

Also, best aerial cinematography ever. Period. Nothing else I've ever seen involving aircraft can touch it...
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 9:20:35 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I heard there's not many people of color in it...
View Quote
Wyte folks killing wyte folks.  BLM should love it.    I should go see it on the big screen.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 9:26:35 AM EDT
[#30]
Yes do see it in IMAX.
I'm very glad it was made but holy God the aerial combat is Red Tails cartoonish.  

Quoted:
Just in case you missed the hint....

Go see it IMAX...

X87
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 9:27:14 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 9:28:04 AM EDT
[#32]
Extremely disappointing. Nolan dropped the ball on this one, IMO. Haven't felt this let down by a movie in a long time.

Quoted:
View Quote
Four, five at most. It wasn't very good, at all. Every artistic choice Nolan made was wrong, IMO. No desire to see it again. The 1958 "Dunkirk" was better.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 10:08:21 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Extremely disappointing. Nolan dropped the ball on this one, IMO. Haven't felt this let down by a movie in a long time.

Four, five at most. It wasn't very good, at all. Every artistic choice Nolan made was wrong, IMO. No desire to see it again. The 1958 "Dunkirk" was better.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
For the record, I'm not a Nolan fanboy, but how you could rate that film "five at most" out of 10 is absurd...

I could see you not thinking it was perfect (it wasn't), but 5 out of 10? The aerial cinematography and music score alone was worth 8 stars.

You've gone mad.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 10:17:27 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

For the record, I'm not a Nolan fanboy, but how you could rate that film "five at most" out of 10 is absurd...

I could see you not thinking it was perfect (it wasn't), but 5 out of 10?

You've gone mad.
View Quote
The non-linear narrative made it muddled and disjointed, the lack of dialogue made for a lack of context and really inhibited my my ability to care about the characters, and the music was over the top and distracting.

The whole thing had a very "experimental" feel to it that I did not enjoy at all. Off the top of my head, it reminded me of "The Thin Red Line".

As I've said, one of the more dramatic moments of WWII, and the whole thing left me feeling... meh. (Just like "Interstellar," it was cold and antiseptic.)

Nolan let his movie making get in the way of his story telling.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 10:32:25 AM EDT
[#35]
To those of you who have seen it, my brother got the impression of the characters being cowardly .

Did any of you get that impression?
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 10:41:49 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
To those of you who have seen it, my brother got the impression of the characters being cowardly .

View Quote
An attempt was made to explain it away as shell shock, but when you have guys threatening to kill a man so as to drop weight on a grounded boat as tide comes in, I don't know... That didn't give me the impression of shell shock. That looked like desperate cowardice.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 10:43:01 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote
not really.  
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 11:00:12 AM EDT
[#38]
7/10 at best.  I wanted to love it.  Character development was not good.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 11:21:00 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote
I didn't get the impression that there were any characters, really, let alone what motivated them.

It was a bunch of guys who looked alike, wearing the same uniforms, not saying anything. I felt nothing for them.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 12:22:33 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

The non-linear narrative made it muddled and disjointed, the lack of dialogue made for a lack of context and really inhibited my my ability to care about the characters, and the music was over the top and distracting.

The whole thing had a very "experimental" feel to it that I did not enjoy at all. Off the top of my head, it reminded me of "The Thin Red Line".

As I've said, one of the more dramatic moments of WWII, and the whole thing left me feeling... meh. (Just like "Interstellar," it was cold and antiseptic.)

Nolan let his movie making get in the way of his story telling.
View Quote
I agree. The flipping back and forth on time to show the same event from different character's prespectives was confusing at times.
The most noteworthy thing about the real Dunkirk was the evacuation lf the troops by hundreds of civilians smallcraft. Towards the end of the movie there were maybe 25 boats shown.
Then there's Kenneth Branagh, who plays the same character in every movie he's in........Kenny The Ham.
This movie rates a 2 in a scale of ten.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 12:40:01 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
not really.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

not really.  
There was no help, it was straight up survival. Didn't get the cowardly vibe.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 12:45:22 PM EDT
[#42]
The one billboard glam shot makes it a must to see
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 12:46:21 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I.....   had a feeling............ that it.........  might be a good one..............
View Quote
Shatner's not in this one.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 12:50:27 PM EDT
[#44]
I kind of want to see it, but $15.50 is a lot for one movie.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 1:04:11 PM EDT
[#45]
I haven't seen it but a friend of mine did, he told me it was boring and only rated it a 6 out of 10.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 1:32:32 PM EDT
[#46]
I really liked it. I'd give it an 8 out of 10. It was certainly a different type of war movie.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 1:43:04 PM EDT
[#47]
I heard that it was kind of "meh"
I'm still wondering why people are making big-budget WWII films?  When the fuck are the Korea films coming?

Shit.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 1:52:00 PM EDT
[#48]
The film score and the action kept me feeling tense the whole movie. The aerial shots are amazing. You do get the sense that the men are doomed on a spec of dirt looking out for themselves for survival. Like someone said in another thread, these are the movies that Hollywood should be making and they should be supported.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 2:36:25 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I haven't seen it but a friend of mine did, he told me it was boring and only rated it a 6 out of 10.
View Quote
Saw it finally.  Would have to agree.  The sound and visuals were spectacular, even beyond spectacular, but I was a little lost the first hour.  It was great for the first 15 minutes, there was a "build up," a tension that seemed to be increasing, but after 15 minutes it wears on you with the constant going from one scene to the next, no dialog that really explained what was going on for the first hour or so.  I don't know the backstory on Dunkirk, so maybe that's why I was a little lost at the beginning.  Would have been nice for a 3-5 minute scene where a general or someone is briefing a command staff about a) how they got there, b) how they were planning to leave, and c) what the Germans were probably going to do.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 2:46:39 PM EDT
[#50]
Cinematography, great.  Story great.

The disjointed time line ruined it for me.

Going back in time for a couple scenes, isn't bad, but it felt like the director was trying to make some huge artistic statement, and that nonstop time jumping was just too much.

I think they wanted to show the Tom Hardy pilot character throughout the entire timeline, and had to do too much instead of just introducing the pilot at the appropriate point in the movie.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top