Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 8:32:48 AM EDT
[#1]
This is what the welfare state has bought us. 
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 8:35:36 AM EDT
[#2]
No fault in not risking life and limb, but they didn't have to mock him and be little shits about it.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 8:38:55 AM EDT
[#3]
"It's too late for you, you're already in the hole!"
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 8:54:00 AM EDT
[#4]
I get not going in to help.

I would of but I've had training and plenty of experience.

But there is a special place in hell for these "teens" that just stood around, mocked, and filmed instead of at least calling 911.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 8:58:33 AM EDT
[#5]
The teens were exhausted after a hard day at nuclear fusion school.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 9:01:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
They were on their way to cure cancer.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 9:19:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Who knows how the man ended up in the water. Might have been trying to escape the teens. Anyway, I'm a faily good swimmer and would have helped him. If I pulled him out and he was your son/father/brother would you say I should have left him to fend for himself?
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 9:24:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Not dying for some tatted up mentally ill person who deliberately walked into the pond and is more likely to drown me then I am saving him.

I'd toss him a rope and call 911 but past that, I'm not going to join some idiot in their suicide fest.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 9:28:29 AM EDT
[#9]
On one hand if any of them would've went in to help there's a good chance the guy would've taken them down with him. On the other hand just standing there mocking him and not even calling 911(even though it wouldn't have made a difference) is pretty messed up.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 9:28:37 AM EDT
[#10]
I get they technically did nothing illegal, but not calling 911 and the fact they filmed and mocked him instead, there should be some sort of action taken. The body wasn't found till days later so that leads me to think that they definitely didn't call to report the drowning even after they stopped being jasckasses. Society is just sad these days.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 9:33:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

A lifeguard once told me. It's safer to save them after they drown.
View Quote
In scuba we went through a couple basics in rescuing people. Was told rescuing someone on top of the water would probably result in a fight over your equipment. If that happens just sink away from them and bring them in after they drown or provide CPR (breathes) with a snorkel...
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 9:35:08 AM EDT
[#12]
I don't know the backstory on this, but I will say that I wouldn't necessarily fault someone for not assisting a stranger in an emergency situation if doing so could pose an unreasonable risk of to the bystander.  But laughing and mocking the victim while he's in a struggle for his life, while also choosing not to call 911 for help, is psychotic behavior that crosses into "evil" territory. There's no fixing someone who does that.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 9:37:12 AM EDT
[#13]
Sad but I think the actions of those kids is nothing more than a reflection of the fact that 2 to 4 percent of the human race is psychopathic.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 9:41:29 AM EDT
[#14]
I'm a strong swimmer and its not nearly as easy to rescue someone as it seems. Dude was out there too.

I remember about half the training they showed us for life guard training was how not to get drowned yourself because generally the person barely staying above water can drown you.

So I cant blame them for that. The laughing about it was fucked up, not calling for help also fucked up. But honestly not much anyone could do to save the guy with him being out so far and going under so quickly.

Why the fuck was the guy out there anyways?
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 9:45:22 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

It's not a myth.  My wife is black and she sinks like a rock even with her huge rack.
View Quote
Just how big is that rack

It's true a lot of black that can't swim but there are quite a few that do. A lot of it comes from access to a pool, doesn't help when you have parents saying don't go near that pool you'll drown.

I didn't know how to swim until I was in my 30's. I was like screw I want to learn when and got lessons for me and my son. I don't tread water that great but I can swim and float pretty good.
My son swims like a fish, even dives in or does back flips and his first lesson he wasn't having any of it, I mean not even putting his face in the water, he was 9 or 10 at the time. First lesson nothing got accomplished really, took him home fill the tub and just had him get over that fear after that his lessons were a breeze.  Girl I was dating is white, can't swim at all. I was like WTF does that happen, she asked would I come save her if she fell in a pool I told her she better fall in the shallow end so she could stand up or sign up for swimming lessons. You're not drowning me I did go in and get this little girl one time though

As for those filming. I won't blame them for not going in but they should have called for help even though it wouldn't have arrived in time. That's low life stuff there.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 9:53:21 AM EDT
[#16]
Soulless punks, but I doubt they could have saved the man even if they tried.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 10:11:18 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 10:12:35 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
To be fair, it's likely none of them could swim.
View Quote
Probably also unable to call 911 as well?
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 10:20:13 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Wait...you're black?

View Quote
Damn Jake. Haven't I taught you anything. Get yo ass out of my car and go write some parking tickets or something

I self identify as orange though
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 10:24:09 AM EDT
[#20]
Fuckin scumbags...
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 10:25:49 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Well no one died of cancer that day at the lake so mission accomplished, right? 
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 10:26:25 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 10:28:18 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

This car is not from the motor pool.
View Quote
Its not, sexy though aint it?

So wheres the office, back at division?

Youre in the office baby
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 10:30:30 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Agreed. Jumping in to rescue him probably wouldn't be smart unless you're a strong swimmer. I don't really judge them for not jumping in.

I judge them for laughing.
I judge them for recording it instead of calling the police.

Fuck these little pieces of trash.
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 10:30:56 AM EDT
[#25]
So a group of black people get high while watching a retarded man drown?

Haven't watched the video, just going off the double speak headline.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 10:33:07 AM EDT
[#26]
I'm not going to defend the kids because they could have called for help first. But.....they did yell at the guys and told him to get out before he drowns.  They also seemed a little concerned that he didn't resurface at the end.  

That still doesn't excuse them from making a 911 call.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 10:42:24 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Cases like this remind me that our "civilization" is broken.
View Quote
It may be but this isn't the proof. There's always been cases like this, and worse. There are uncaring asshole, sociopaths and psychopaths in this world. Evil exists. Even teens.

Most everyone is aware of Lizzie Bordon. But research Mary Bell, Loeb and Leopoldo, Jesse Pomeroy or more recently Eric Smith. These things have always happens and they always will. It was less prominent previously since the reporting medium was mostly newspaper. The internet changed that. 
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 10:51:35 AM EDT
[#28]
Speaking as someone who's got a few open water rescues under his belt (water survival instructor and safety swimmer in the Corps), that was a tough rescue to attempt.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 10:52:24 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I think we can all agree this time these boys really didnt do nuffin.
View Quote
Dammit! Came to post this.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 10:57:14 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 11:01:57 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Perhaps KARMA will come about and snatch the life out of these worthless little shits.
View Quote
Exactly.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 11:50:55 AM EDT
[#32]
He was too far out. I don't think anybody could have helped him.

That said, their reaction is appalling but not in the least surprising.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 3:03:30 PM EDT
[#33]
The police chief is going to charge the teens for not reporting the death.

http://www.baynews9.com/content/news/baynews9/news/article.html/content/news/articles/cfn/2017/7/21/video_teens_filmed_m.html
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 3:05:09 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Agreed. Jumping in to rescue him probably wouldn't be smart unless you're a strong swimmer. I don't really judge them for not jumping in.

View Quote
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 3:59:41 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

http://www.baynews9.com/content/news/baynews9/news/article.html/content/news/articles/cfn/2017/7/21/video_teens_filmed_m.html
View Quote
Not sure how I feel about that. Conflicted in that I don't think you should be punished for inaction. But think something should be done to them. But that should be the parents.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 4:07:49 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
________k Yutes?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wonder if the teens can swim?
________k Yutes?
Kulak Yutes?

I don't think that the Kulaks are well known for their swimming ability.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 4:11:45 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote
Sounds like they're about to waste some taxpayers dollars.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 4:13:53 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote
Reminds me of the Seinfeld finale.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 4:15:17 PM EDT
[#39]
I live on the coast in NW WA, if you get caught in a riptide you better hope you get swept out far enough so the Coast Guard can save you.
The local police etc. can't go out past knee deep, they are supposed to stand on the beach and watch you drown.
The ocean is a little cold and rough for swimming anyway.

Ocean Shores
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 4:15:59 PM EDT
[#40]
Nothing can be done legally yet a woman texting a guy and telling him to off himself gets charged with manslaughter. Messed up world.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 4:17:49 PM EDT
[#41]
LOL gotta love it when they start a story with 'teens'.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 4:24:37 PM EDT
[#42]
As scummy as the teens were, I would bet Scuba Steve wasn't too much different.

When the "victim" has a face covered in gang tats I have a really tough time finding a fuck to give.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 4:26:51 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

No... it's not.
View Quote
It went over your head.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 5:14:03 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

They saw him walk in on his own, in a fenced off area.  

They were MTOB.  

They apparently broke no laws.

So why exactly are they "pieces of shit"?

In a free society, life carries a certain amount of risk.  It was fenced off, the guy appeared in control of his own actions, and his well being is not their responsibility (yet).  How were they to know he wasn't committing suicide?  There are alligators everywhere in FL, and maybe they couldn't swim?  Were they just supposed to know that he was a disabled father, information we all have the luxury of reading about after the fact?

Are they heroes?  Hell no.  Laughing about knowing he was dead was pretty damned cold, but they are well within their rights.

IMHO Florida did the right thing.  

Problem is they are probably going to use this to try and legislate morality by passing some Good Samaritan law, to broaden the reach of protecting people from their own stupidity.

Net result?:
1) people unknown to each other will be wholly responsible for the well-being of others (i.e. the whole point of the Welfare State)
2) morality will now be further legislated in one of the last free-ish states left
View Quote

You are right.

I find it funny that they can try to legislate requirements for civilians ie good samaritans

But the police can't be held accountable for our safety.

Hmmmm.

Link Posted: 7/21/2017 5:31:56 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Wait, this is Florida...  Gators?
View Quote
This was my thought; crazy loon + gators= you might be on your own...
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 5:36:58 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote
This.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 5:40:07 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Typical Teen Behavior
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 5:40:35 PM EDT
[#48]
What are the teens names?
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 5:45:54 PM EDT
[#49]
I hope those little CoCs find themselves in a spot like that in the near future.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 5:21:50 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote

LOL.  But abortion is still legal.  LOL

The fucking things worried about.

Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top