Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 7/20/2017 3:36:28 PM EDT
Kindof at a loss as to what to do except for continue what we are doing.

We adopted a GSD puppy about a month ago. GSD puppy was around 5 months old. The dog has been a great dog so far. He is very smart, very obedient, quick learner, very loveable, very friendly, great with kids and great with other dogs. We run him NON-STOP when we are home. We have about 4 acres and try to get as much energy out of him as possible all even/day/morning when we are home. He is also very socialized with out current older dog and the neighbor dogs. GSD is about 60 lbs now.

We, me and my GF, both work. We started off crating him during the day. He did so well with this after a week or so we started to let him out during the day with the other dog and that went great so we kept it up. He was in the crate between 4-8 hours a day depending on things.

Up until last week. So, one week in the crate, three weeks out of the crate. He has developed this habit of pulling stuff off the tables and chewing them. Not food or shoes or anything. Like kitchen knifes, decorations, anything really. It progressed badly into anything and everything was being pulled off really high structures and being chewed to bits. He has a ton of toys for him to chew too. He got into an alieve bottle and we took him to the vet and we knew he had to go into the crate again.

The behavior is strange because he never tries to take things off the counter when we are around. He also never grabs things off the counter or the tables when we are in the house. Only when we are gone.

We have a solid metal wire frame crate for him to be in. I even reinforced the entire exterior of the cage with 60lb zip ties.

We put him in the crate every day this week. But only for about 4-5 hours. He did fine.

Today, GF came home and the crate has been destroyed and the dog got himself out. He left a tornado of trash. Anything and everything is chewed. Remotes, beer cans, sun glasses, the rug, everything.

So where should we go with his training past today? What can I do to work toward resolving this issue?
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 3:38:05 PM EDT
[#1]
You have an obsessively, obscenely high-energy dog in a low energy environment.

You might as well try to bottle a lightning bolt on Adderall.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 3:39:51 PM EDT
[#2]
It is a GSD puppy.  It is what they do.  Welcome to Hell.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 3:40:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
He is a higher energy dog, i know that. But not obscenely high. Thats a bit hyperbolic. Border collies fit the category you mention.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 3:40:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote
Pretty much this
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 3:40:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Buy another one so they can keep each other busy
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 3:42:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote
lol thats a great idea
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 3:43:03 PM EDT
[#7]
He's bored and probably stressed. Send him to daycare.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 3:43:57 PM EDT
[#8]
If you're already exercising him, try using bitter spray.

You can get it from petstores and helps to dissuade dogs from chewing on things.

Worked great for my lab when they were chewing on furniture.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 3:45:47 PM EDT
[#9]
He's throwing a tantrum for being left.  Thats my guess.  Separation anxiety.     My first GSD did that to the trash can if we left it inside when we left him alone.  It was his way of throwing a tantrum.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 3:46:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

He is a higher energy dog, i know that. But not obscenely high. Thats a bit hyperbolic. Border collies fit the category you mention.
View Quote
my dad had a Belgian Mal GSD mutt when I was growing up.

That fucker would literally run every second he was not awake.

If you didn't keep him motivated, he would immediately turn OCD and start to pace, run around in circles, or just destroy shit.

I would ride my bike around town and he would chase after me all day long.

We didn't keep him in a crate, because he could eat his way out of just about anything.

If those dogs aren't sleeping, you better be keeping them busy. Because they are an alligator with fur.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 3:46:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Is he still teething?   Our old dog chewed the shit out of everything until he was done teething then he settled down.   Getting them fixed helps, too.  You need patience and a better crate.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 3:50:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

lol thats a great idea
View Quote
it really is. Our two GSD's will play until they'd at the point of passing out. We let them inside and they crash on the floor and pass out for hours.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 3:51:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Is he still teething?   Our old dog chewed the shit out of everything until he was done teething then he settled down.   Getting them fixed helps, too.  You need patience and a better crate.
View Quote
I Think he is still teething. He got fixed about two weeks ago.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 3:52:35 PM EDT
[#14]
I adopted a psychotic female collie / terrier mutt.  Had the same issues as you OP.  I have no solutions for you either...  we crated our dog until she grew outta it and now she's the best dog I've ever had.

ETA: we locked her in the bathroom one time to run to the grocery store quick... gone bout 30 min.  Came back and she had ripped all the wood off the lower side of the door, window was literally cracked, shower curtain shredded, nothing on the counter anymore.. total disaster.  I was fucking pissed and kinda laughing at the same time too
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 3:53:14 PM EDT
[#15]
OP, both the GSD's I have went through a super destructive phase like that, then grew out of it soon after. Neither of them chew up anything anymore.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 3:53:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Look up Kikopup on YouTube.

Become a magician.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 3:54:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Crate and outdoor kennel unless you are actually with him. Do this until about 1 year old give or take.  My newest GSD just turned 1 year recently and he is now really trustworthy but still doesn't get free rein inside the house unless we are home and spends the daytime in a fenced in back yard with a shaded porch and pool.

Besides that they sheds to much to be in 24/7
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 3:54:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
OP, both the GSD's I have went through a super destructive phase like that, then grew out of it soon after. Neither of them chew up anything anymore.
View Quote
That has been my experience with them.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 3:55:28 PM EDT
[#19]
why do you leave him in the house? They have small 10ft x 10ft cages you know,,,,outside
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 3:56:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I adopted a psychotic female collie / terrier mutt.  Had the same issues as you OP.  I have no solutions for you either...  we crated our dog until she grew outta it and now she's the best dog I've ever had.

ETA: we locked her in the bathroom one time to run to the grocery store quick... gone bout 30 min.  Came back and she had ripped all the wood off the lower side of the door, window was literally cracked, shower curtain shredded, nothing on the counter anymore.. total disaster.  I was fucking pissed and kinda laughing at the same time too
View Quote
She was just trying to help kick start the remodeling project. 
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 3:57:51 PM EDT
[#21]
You're expecting too much of the puppy.  We have a rottweiler pup the same age.  Our pup is smart and learns quickly but she's still a pup.  A high drive dog at that age wil get into everything.  Ours requires constant supervision to stop from having leather sofas and wooden furniture destroyed.  She's already learned that the word, "no," spoken in a calm voice,means stop whatever she's doing. She's is well on her way to not chewing things we don't want chewed on.  They will learn faster if they are monitored and corrected every time they are doing something you don't want them to do.  When they get away with it because you aren't there to let them know it's not OK what they're doing, it delays the process.  If you don't already know, positive reinforcement works best. Yelling at them scares them and hinders the learning process. When they do what you want them to do, or stop doing what you don't want them to do, tell them what a good dog they are in an excited voice and pet them.  Food treats to reward good behavior and used in conjunction with learning basic obedience commands help too.  We crate our dog when we're not home.  I shudder to think what would happen if we didn't.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 3:58:35 PM EDT
[#22]
Game over man, game over
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 3:58:48 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
why do you leave him in the house? They have small 10ft x 10ft cages you know,,,,outside
View Quote
Its fucking miserable here right now. 90+ degree days with 90% humidity. Thats like torture to a big furry dog. GF would never go for it. Perhaps after today she might.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 4:00:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Your going to have people recommend xanax and a therapist. How about a dog proof crate to start.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 4:00:42 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
You're expecting too much of the puppy.  We have a rottweiler pup the same age.  Our pup is smart and learns quickly but she's still a pup.  A high drive dog at that age wil get into everything.  Ours requires constant supervision to stop from having leather sofas and wooden furniture destroyed.  She's already learned that the word, "no," spoken in a calm voice,means stop whatever she's doing. She's is well on her way to not chewing things we don't want chewed on.  They will learn faster if they are monitored and corrected every time they are doing something you don't want them to do.  When they get away with it because you aren't there to let them know it's not OK what they're doing it delays the process.  If you don't already know, positive reinforcement works best. Yelling at them scares them and hinders the learning process. When they do what you want them to do, or stop doing what you don't want them to do, tell them what a good dog they are in an excited voice.  Treats to reward good behavior and used in conjunction with learning basic obedience commands help too.
View Quote
He is very obedient and listens very well. We work very hard on positive and negative reinforcement. But all these things happen when we arent home. So its tough to reprimand regardless.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 4:02:24 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Your going to have people recommend xanax and a therapist. How about a dog proof crate to start.
View Quote
Is this dog proof enough for you? I even zip tied every edge touching another edge and permanently closed one of the doors with zip ties. Theres probably 30 of them on there.

Link Posted: 7/20/2017 4:02:48 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yep teething makes them a punk. My youngest is over 100lbs, just turned a year,  and his back molars are still not fully done.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 4:05:00 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Is this dog proof enough for you? I even zip tied every edge touching another edge and permanently closed one of the doors with zip ties. Theres probably 30 of them on there.

https://www.ruralking.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/8/0/8000-0209.jpg
View Quote
Forget about folding crates if he's an escape artist. Use a drop pin or a heavy duty aluminum crate. I'd say that he is WAY too young to have free run of the house during the day.

Impact Dog Crates

Or for the Houdini of dogs there is always something like this...
Houdini Crate
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 4:07:18 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

https://www.ruralking.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/8/0/8000-0209.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No. I'm fairly certain I could get out. We already know your dog can. Don't be pissy because you're getting outsmarted by a puppy. It only lasts about a year.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 4:07:40 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote
Time to bust out the welding machine and some angle iron. 
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 4:09:26 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote
We have one of those. We have to use a padlock on it if we want to dog to stay in it. He knows how to open the latches with his nose from inside.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 4:10:36 PM EDT
[#32]
Maybe getting a pup was aBADidea?
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 4:11:16 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote
This. We got our GSD a 6ft x 12ft outdoor kennel.

It has been a great relief not worrying about the dog in a small crate during the day when we are at work, and it keeps her out of trouble with plenty of fresh air.

We even put a webcam in it so we can check in on her. She is currently sleeping next to several large sticks we tossed in there in case she wants to chew on something.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 4:13:24 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Forget about folding crates if he's an escape artist. Use a drop pin or a heavy duty aluminum crate. I'd say that he is WAY too young to have free run of the house during the day.

Impact Dog Crates

Houdini Crate
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Impact Dog Crates

Houdini Crate
I have one of those, I can tear it down in what 30 seconds. Given 8 hours and motivation a large dog could easily manage, thankfully for the time being mine respects her crate.

Obviously yours doesn't so see above for a solution. It's also helpful to put them in the crate when you're home, walk away, then come back and reward them for not physically touching the crate. That might not work at this point but I dunno
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 4:16:25 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote
I am thinking of going to Rural King and buying a wire horse panel or a wire hog panel.

I plan on bringing my bolt cutters along.

Then making my own crate.

Then find a sheet metal shop to bend me up a pan or tray  for the bottom.

I have used tie wire like for rebar to reinforce the corners on  crates like you have pictured above.

My next best piece of advice is to get three or four of those Kong toys... the black ones...

fill with peanut butter

set in freezer over night

give him a PB filled Kong in his crate right before you leave.

Psychologically the theory is that since dogs came from wolves, and your dog considers you part of the pack....he thinks you or the rest of the pack is abandoning him.

EDIT:  I use carabiners on the doors.  like someone up above said....their pup learned to use his nose to push the door bolts open
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 4:18:05 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 4:20:23 PM EDT
[#37]
Try getting an RC toy truck or car and make it so the puppy can't outrun it then play with it, puppy with lose a lot of energy just chasing it around.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 4:20:41 PM EDT
[#38]
My GSD had the same problem when she was young. Chewed on couches ,walls, rugs and everything in between. Final out grew that issue and one of the best dogs I ever had. Longer then normal puppy stage for sure.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 4:23:36 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Try getting an RC toy truck or car and make it so the puppy can't outrun it then play with it, puppy with lose a lot of energy just chasing it around.
View Quote
Had a buddy try that a few years back with his puppy.  He quickly learned that as puppy's grow, they get faster and smarter.  One afternoon the dog caught the RC car and it was over before he could yell no. 
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 4:24:55 PM EDT
[#40]
I have a GSD mix, about 15 months old.  She gets biked 3-4 miles a day, Ran and walked.  Still destroys stuff.  I leave her in the back yard.  Its fenced and about 6000 sf.   It has a large covered patio area, but she destroys everything.  all the stuff you named and every window screen and garden hose I have.

this dog will go after the sprinklers as well.

ate a teak table, 3 rocking chairs, and going after teak sofa, all outdoor furniture is chewed.  I cant help you but feel your pain.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 4:25:19 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I am thinking of going to Rural King and buying a wire horse panel or a wire hog panel.

I plan on bringing my bolt cutters along.

Then making my own crate.

Then find a sheet metal shop to bend me up a pan or tray  for the bottom.

I have used tie wire like for rebar to reinforce the corners on  crates like you have pictured above.

My next best piece of advice is to get three or four of those Kong toys... the black ones...

fill with peanut butter

set in freezer over night

give him a PB filled Kong in his crate right before you leave.

Psychologically the theory is that since dogs came from wolves, and your dog considers you part of the pack....he thinks you or the rest of the pack is abandoning him.

EDIT:  I use carabiners on the doors.  like someone up above said....their pup learned to use his nose to push the door bolts open
View Quote
The black Kong ball is something our vet suggested. I'll pick up today along with carabineers.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 4:28:36 PM EDT
[#42]
In my opinion he's too young to be left out if you don't want to come home to a disaster. My 10 month old still gets crated. Just recently been able to trust him well enough to not fuck shit up during the night so he doesn't get crated at night all the time anymore.

Baby steps man. You went from crawling to sprinting.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 4:30:22 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote
Kong Toy.  The round pyramid one.
Place peanut butter inside cone in far corner.  
Encourage him to chew that.
Don't react to anything else he chews just encourage the Kong Toy with peanut butter.  
If you try to punish him for other stuff it may be he will take the bad attention just as well as the positive.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 4:36:17 PM EDT
[#44]
Combination of this:

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
And this:

Quoted:
Our youngest went through a period where she would chew up my ex-wife's Bibles.  Once the TV remote, but mostly the Bibles.  Went through four of them.  Shut them in a drawer - she'd go in the drawer, hunt through a whole stack of Women's Day magazines, pull out a Bible and chew it up.  Close the bedroom door: she learned how to open the bedroom door.  Lock her in a crate: Soon as you let her out, she'd find a way to find a Bible when your back was turned, and chew it up.   Nothing we did helped.  The only solution we found was to lock the bedroom door with everything chewable inside.  She couldn't make her teeth turn the little slot to unlock the door to get in.

Once she turned about a year and a half old, she grew out of it.  Now, five years later, she's a great dog.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 4:42:43 PM EDT
[#45]
Mine ruined a $4000 dining room table and chair set.

And here I thought I had an understanding with him if I left him alone in my home.

lol

it happens
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 4:44:04 PM EDT
[#46]
Dog is bored or has separation anxiety.

My 1.5 y/o GSD pup will run 24-fucking-7 if I would let him. Literally from 5am to midnight he is wide-fucking-open. He will still chew shit up if left alone for an extended period of time. Luckily we have a part of the house where we put a baby gate up to keep him contained from chewing up the rugs and remotes.

Best dag I've ever had, but GD he is high energy
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 4:44:17 PM EDT
[#47]
I had a similar issue with a second dog that I brought into my house... A rescued female who was "approximately 2 years old" per the shelter, as well as heart worm positive = restricted activity, so no running it out of her... She turned out to be closer to 10 months old and extremely active and destructive

I did just like you, "oh she's doing good, let's leave her out..." She became destructive, so I secluded her. More destructive, so I crated her in a shitty ass wire crate like you have. She escaped and destroyed more shit. So I zip tied the hell out of the crate to keep her in; she bent the door, got out, and destroyed more shit. I ended up having to zip tie the door shut with multiple ties DAILY while gone, in addition to the other zip ties until a new kennel arrived...

After a lot of research and review reading:

I bought a Rough Tuff brand kennel, Primo Pads crate pad (she destroyed all other pads and beds instantly), and a few Goughnut brand toys to toss in with her.

Rough Tuff kennels were the cheapest I could find that appeared strong enough to keep her in. There are other, but significantly more expensive, options available.

Both the Primo Pads crate pad and Goughnuts toys are designed for tough and destructive dogs, as well as warrantied against it....

I can not recommend the above mentioned products enough. Toys (Kong extremes included) and other dog supplies typically last minutes, hours at best, in my house. The Primo Pad, Goughnuts, and Rough Tuff kennel are all still looking brand new, holding together, are functional, and escape free....
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 4:47:55 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

The black Kong ball is something our vet suggested. I'll pick up today along with carabineers.
View Quote
There isn't already a Kong present in the house? Dear God man! You are a sadist! They are an absolute necessity with breeds that chew a lot.
Look up Ian Dunbar's "After Getting Puppy" Its free online. I don't agree with everything the man says (especially for GSDs) but read the chapter on creating a "chew toy addict". It will help with a great many things. Start feeding him from the Kong and make it hard for him to get the food. It will entertain him physically as well as mentally.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 4:55:26 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
lol thats a great idea
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
lol thats a great idea
No, it's not. I had a German Shepherd that I bought from a breeder at about 6 weeks old. I also bought a kitten for my daughter and decided to get them both about the same time so they can grow up together as well as mitigate any anxiety issues the German Shepherd puppy might be having being alone all day. They grew up together and were like two brothers. But, that didn't stop the puppy's destructive behaviors. He would tear up anything he could get his teeth into as well as taking dumps in the house. I never could break him of that and kept him outside and let him inside when I was at home to keep an eye on him. He was really smart and would try and sneak off into the bedroom while I was watching TV. I caught him several time trying to sneak off. He also started coming up with chunks of concrete that I couldn't figure out where he was finding them. I finally figured out that he was tearing off chunks of concrete from my house's foundation. He was using the chunks to teethe with. He also loved digging holes all over the back yard.

Yes, the cat kept him company, but, wasn't enough. At 2 years of age I came home one day to find that someone had poisoned him while I was at work all day. Took him to the vet, but, he didn't survive. Never found out who did it, but, animal control put out fliers (after I reported it) that someone was putting rat poison in raw hamburger meat and tossing it over fences in my neighborhood.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 4:56:08 PM EDT
[#50]
Just enjoy it OP. It's a puppy thing and he'll grow out of it.  I lost my best friend a few days ago and I remember those days.  If you love him stay the course and he'll stop as he matures.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top