BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 9:06:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

So the guy chilling and going at a steady pace in his lane is the douchnozzle.

But the guy having an aneurysm and swerving in and out of traffic lanes while cutting people off is doing it right?

View Quote
If you're getting these reactions, you're driving a lot more than 3-4 car lengths back. More like 10 car lengths. So yeah, I'm calling bs on your whole story. We'll need dashcam footage to make an objective assessment.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 9:09:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Traffic in West Virginia? Where are all the methbillies going?
View Quote
It's the only thing I thought about reading the OP.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 9:13:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Sounds to me like he's resigning himself to deal with others stupidity through humor.  Sometimes you have to laugh at the sheer fucking inane Fucktardery that one has to deal with from other 'drivers' while driving down the road.  

I do a shit ton of driving for a living, some days the term killdozer comes to mind.  It is a combination of  clueless operators combined with complete retards and assholes on the road.  Spattered with some poor rational bastards.  

Funny how the one that tries to drive sane in traffic and has to laugh stupidity off is the one that is accused of being passive aggressive.  Let's not mention the ones pounding on the steering wheel and yelling like damn fools, they are normal...  Right?
View Quote
Self driving cars can't come soon enough. Not only will they eliminate human retardation from driving but I'd rather read a book or nap or clean my belly button out than hold a steering wheel and watch brake lights all morning.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 9:15:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Holy fuck, people like you are the reason why traffic is so fucked.

If everyone left at least one car space in front of them then there would be no issues.
People would be able to change lanes, merge, pass other cars, and have room for when "shit happens".

Fucktards that use the "nut to butt" driving technique are the main reasons why traffic is all fucked up.
View Quote
triggering idiots maybe, but not fucking up traffic.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 9:15:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

If you're getting these reactions, you're driving a lot more than 3-4 car lengths back. More like 10 car lengths. So yeah, I'm calling bs on your whole story. We'll need dashcam footage to make an objective assessment.
View Quote
Smart car lengths or cadillac lengths?
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 9:16:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote
No, the fact is that those other people invariably get pissed off at some other driver(s) on their commute every single day. OP is just chilling in his zen garden in the middle of chaos. No psychologist would be able to conduct an experiment that exposed people to the conditions of hours spent in such conditions as bumper-to-bumper commuting because it would be unethical. You have to try and separate yourself from your current circumstance as OP does, otherwise you will be miserable.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 9:16:57 AM EDT
[#7]
OP, I agree with your concept, but 4 car lengths is a bit much. I typically leave around 2, which still gives me enough room to slow down, should the idiot that is texting in front of me slam on their brakes at the last second because they aren't paying attention to stopped traffic ahead.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 9:27:48 AM EDT
[#8]
I understand your attitude completely and I agree with most of it. 3 or 4 car lengths at such slow speeds does make you a target of opportunity for lane changers.  That slow, maybe 2 car lengths is more appropriate. In the mean time, I would suggest some primer paint on your doors and maybe  fender, and changing out your bumpers for some railroad rail. Oh, and no hubcaps. Maybe three, but definitely not a complete set.

Perhaps then people may be less tempted to fill your space cushion.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 9:30:18 AM EDT
[#9]
The first few times I drove I-4 in Florida I tried leaving a few car lengths for reaction time.

Motherfuckers swerving in and out in front of me trying to gain one spot was too much. 

I started driving 85mph on peoples bumper like everyone else and things went much smoother for me.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 9:30:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I understand your attitude completely and I agree with most of it. 3 or 4 car lengths at such slow speeds does make you a target of opportunity for lane changers.  That slow, maybe 2 car lengths is more appropriate. In the mean time, I would suggest some primer paint on your doors and maybe  fender, and changing out your bumpers for some railroad rail. Oh, and no hubcaps. Maybe three, but definitely not a complete set.
View Quote
Meh, i dont keep it consistent.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 9:44:38 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

No, the fact is that those other people invariably get pissed off at some other driver(s) on their commute every single day. OP is just chilling in his zen garden in the middle of chaos. No psychologist would be able to conduct an experiment that exposed people to the conditions of hours spent in such conditions as bumper-to-bumper commuting because it would be unethical. You have to try and separate yourself from your current circumstance as OP does, otherwise you will be miserable.
View Quote
On the contrary, I bet I have a bigger audiobook library than he does.

I've seen drivers like him. They are annoying. I go around them, my Zen unmolested.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 9:46:25 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Smart car lengths or cadillac lengths?
View Quote
Could be stretch limo for all we know, since we know the op is fos.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 9:48:23 AM EDT
[#13]
For some reason, my wife is incapable of understanding it does not matter if you are on the bumper of the car in front of you or 3 cars lengths back, YOU ARE STILL GOING AT THE SPEED OF THE CAR IN FRONT OF YOU.

Like the OP I stay several car lengths back.

Also, it does not matter if you are the 18th car in the train or the 43rd car in the train - the train is still moving at the same speed.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 9:48:52 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I get what youre saying, but this isnt it. Were talking, stop go, stop go, 4 mph, then 6 mph, then stop for 10 miles. Big difference.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
When I'm on the highway going 20mpg behind some jackhole who has 45 car lengths in front of him because traffic is starting to clear up, but he hasn't started going faster yet...that shit pisses me off.

It happened just yesterday with a semi truck.  We all had to stop (or almost) and go slow for a stretch of highway...but then it seems people get into a lull where they stay that way even when it clears up.  

My goal with traffic is to fill the gaps.  If there's too much gap between cars, I feel like I should be in that gap.
I get what youre saying, but this isnt it. Were talking, stop go, stop go, 4 mph, then 6 mph, then stop for 10 miles. Big difference.
My only question is, if you are only going 4 or 6 mph, then why do you need 4 car lengths between you and the car in front of you?
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 9:49:06 AM EDT
[#15]
City people problems.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 9:50:22 AM EDT
[#16]
I'm with OP.

Maintaining a safe distance between you and the car in front of you is cause for hatred and rage for people who want to be 100 feet closer to their destination.

I drive a single lane road (one N lane, on S lane) to work.  Speed limit is 55, but who gives a shit?  I maintain a reasonable distance behind the car in front of me, be it 45 or 75 MPH.  And the other 12,074 cars in front of that guy.

You know what is really fun?  Seeing a light turn yellow and red, and COASTING to the light.  God that makes people mad.  The horror.  They want to go 78 MPH until they have to jam on their brakes, like somehow in their tiny little brains they actually believe that THIS time all the cars in front of them will either magically evaporate or just instantaneously accelerate to 75 MPH.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 9:51:41 AM EDT
[#17]
I just set my adaptive cruise control and it let it do the work.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 9:52:08 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Could be stretch limo for all we know, since we know the op is fos.
View Quote
Full of surprises? you gosh dern right
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 9:53:36 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I'm with OP.

Maintaining a safe distance between you and the car in front of you is cause for hatred and rage for people who want to be 100 feet closer to their destination.

I drive a single lane road (one N lane, on S lane) to work.  Speed limit is 55, but who gives a shit?  I maintain a reasonable distance behind the car in front of me, be it 45 or 75 MPH.  And the other 12,074 cars in front of that guy.

You know what is really fun?  Seeing a light turn yellow and red, and COASTING to the light.  God that makes people mad.  The horror.  They want to go 78 MPH until they have to jam on their brakes, like somehow in their tiny little brains they actually believe that THIS time all the cars in front of them will either magically evaporate or just instantaneously accelerate to 75 MPH.
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 9:54:33 AM EDT
[#20]
If everyone did what OP is doing traffic would be backed up 4x further. Why contribute to the problem?
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 9:54:48 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
For some reason, my wife is incapable of understanding it does not matter if you are on the bumper of the car in front of you or 3 cars lengths back, YOU ARE STILL GOING AT THE SPEED OF THE CAR IN FRONT OF YOU.

Also, it does not matter if you are the 18th car in the train or the 43rd car in the train - the train is still moving at the same speed.
View Quote
Let's think about this logically.

If a road is x feet in length, and each car takes up y space, there are z number of cars on the road.

Keeping x the same, double the value of y. Now there are z/2 number of cars on the road. The carrying capacity of the road has been cut in half.

Let's think about this mathematically.

A volumetric flow rate is pAV, where p is the density, A is the area, and V is the velocity. Decreasing the density by definition will directly decrease the flow rate. To maintain a steady flow rate, V must be increased if p is decreased. But V will stay constant because of speed limits.

So, no, you are not correct.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 9:57:27 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Ive been driving in traffic for a long time now, many years. I spend somewhere between 1 hour and 2 hours of my day in traffic. Four lane wide, 6 mph to 11 mph type of traffic. My body has given up on caring how fast i get to work. Ill get there when i get there and there is no point in worrying or trying to rush my way through to get there. Ive learned to just sit back, relax, chill out to audible and mentally prepare for the day.

Ive learned instead of riding everyone's ass in traffic, just to give myself a a wide berth with the person in front of me. Shocker i know, what a rebel . That way if a sudden stop comes up or people want to cut me off, ive got plenty of room. Like 3-4 car lengths atleast. Since all four lanes arent going any faster than the others, who gives a shit anyways, right?

Holy jesus, i might as well be riding around with a Nazi and confederate flag flying on my commuter car. This little concept ENRAGES the fuck out of people. I used to get upset, like, come on man, its not a race, ill pass you in 5 mins anyways. Now, after a few years, i get pleasure from it. Almost everyday this week ive looked in my rear view mirror to see this.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/304344/driving-1-258501.JPG

Which makes me laugh, out loud, like a mad man as i watch them with maniacal fascination. They are just screaming at their windshield. Pounding on their steering wheel. They are ready to murder with extreme prejudice. Since both lanes arent moving any faster and we are moving at a 4 mph pace, they have no other choice but to look at my 4 car lengths in front of me and envision a world where they are 4 car lengths closer to their destination. Sometimes ill even slow down MORE. We've got 10 more miles at 4.5 mph buddy, better get strapped into that pretty hate machine youre piloting.

Sometimes they will get lucky. They will change lanes and get to pull up next to me and i get this.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/304344/driving2-258503.JPG

Now, my commuter car is small and shitty. So maybe these people think they are going to pull up next to me and scare me? Yell obscenities at me to make me feel bad? I dont think they expect to get me looking back with a big ass smile and a wave. A big, bearded dude, with bunch of scars on his face, smiling like an idiot never breaking eye contact. The situation deescalates very quickly.

https://68.media.tumblr.com/95eb7519d13e4bfea542b2e1b8e19f1b/tumblr_njqh4fq4lU1tdy0nco1_500.gif

So, traffic is actually entertaining sometimes.
View Quote

You must talking about the dam bridge in nitro
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 9:58:25 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote
True, but the 18th car in the train gets to the station first!

There's always going to be the driver who just has to squeeze in, thinking he's going to get ahead. It's been shown that those people gain maybe a minute or two and waste more gas. I used to drive an aerial lift truck working for the phone company. I'd try every day to maintain  space cushion so that I could either change lanes defensively or stop smoothly. Those trucks don't stop nearly as quickly as even a pick up, but people take the chance of getting squished every day. You can't crawl up someone's ass or squeeze in without suffering the consequences some day. And the irony to the whole thing is that's one of the reasons (accidents) that traffic is going so slow in the first place.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 9:59:11 AM EDT
[#24]
This thread is just an argument for self driving cars. Computer cars will be a able to draft off one another because they'll be comunicating. The tenth car back will know what the first car knows and they all can stop in unison. With basically inches between cars even the most frustrated tailgaters will be placated if they even notice as they aren't even driving now.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 9:59:48 AM EDT
[#25]
Passive-aggressive driving =/= defensive driving OP.  You are a passive aggressive driver.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 10:00:03 AM EDT
[#26]
The rule used to be 1 car length for every 10 miles an hour of speed. You should leave 1 car length.
You are whats wrong with drivers today.
We have some of the worse traffic here. If someone did what you're doing they would probably get an ass kicking.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 10:01:26 AM EDT
[#27]
Meh, when I see this..............
Attachment Attached File

they see this.............

Link Posted: 7/20/2017 10:02:37 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
The rule used to be 1 car length for every 10 miles an hour of speed. You should leave 1 car length.
You are whats wrong with drivers today.
We have some of the worse traffic here. If someone did what you're doing they would probably get an ass kicking.
View Quote
After some threads arguing about following distance, I have made observations over the years. It seems that the faster the traffic is flowing, the closer the following distances approach 1 second. 1 second at 75mph is quite a distance! Yesterday on I-10 it was about .75 seconds as far as the eye could see, at 70mph. Volumetric flow rate was AMAZING.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 10:07:03 AM EDT
[#29]
Just so everyone understands.  This is what morning traffic looks like where OP drives.  Imagine every one of these persons leaving 4 car lengths in front of them like OP does.

Link Posted: 7/20/2017 10:07:10 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote
Perhaps she understands the 10lbs of shit in a 5lb bag concept. If everyone kept 3 car lengths back that same traffic would spill out further (occupying more space).
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 10:08:59 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I'm with OP.

Maintaining a safe distance between you and the car in front of you is cause for hatred and rage for people who understand math.
View Quote
Modified for truth. Both you and the op are that guy. Actually there are a lot of them in this thread, and unfortunately, on the road as well.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 10:10:59 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Just so everyone understands.  This is what morning traffic looks like where OP drives.  Imagine every one of these persons leaving 4 car lengths in front of them like OP does.

http://static.lakana.com/media.fox5dc.com/photo/2015/09/16/Still0916_00013_1442440311279_214029_ver1.0_640_360.jpg
View Quote
It does not need to be imagined; it can be easily calculated.

They think "defensive driving" is making their car like a stationary rock in a river. Then they whine on the internet that people are being mean to them.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 10:12:49 AM EDT
[#33]
First rule of Italian driving...
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 10:13:25 AM EDT
[#34]
Four full car lengths in front of you at 4 mph?

You are an asshole.

Money on that you're distracted driving and using the shit (or in your words, generous) driving as an excuse.

It's not defensive driving, no matter how you try to sell yourself on that.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 10:23:05 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Four full car lengths in front of you at 4 mph?

You are the problem.

Money on that you're distracted driving and using the shit (or in your words, generous) driving as an excuse.

It's not defensive driving, no matter how you try to sell yourself on that.
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 10:27:58 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

http://static.lakana.com/media.fox5dc.com/photo/2015/09/16/Still0916_00013_1442440311279_214029_ver1.0_640_360.jpg
View Quote
Look at the black 4runner on the left. You could fit three cars in there. Fuck that guy, what piece of shit. He should be on everyone's ass and things would go so much faster.

That what you idiots sound like.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 10:30:00 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
When the car in front of me leaves a gap in front of him, then people from the sides will fill in that gap, putting him, me, and everyone behind us even farther back in line.  He'll slow down even further to open the gap back up, whereupon more cars come in from the sides to fill in the gap.  I'm okay with him not riding the bumper of the car in front of him, just as I try my damndest to not ride HIS bumper.  But when there's a steady stream of cars passing us both up, I tend to get annoyed.  Keep the fuck up with traffic is all I'm asking!
View Quote
I agree.  If your "cushion" is just putting everyone behind you further back because others are filling the gap it is wrong on your part.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 10:31:51 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 10:33:02 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Look at the black 4runner on the left. You could fit three cars in there. Fuck that guy, what piece of shit. He should be on everyone's ass and things would go so much faster.

That what you idiots sound like.
View Quote
Anyone can name call on the internet, but I've already shown mathematically why you're full of shit. It's also why you're not going to post any actual evidence of your claims. But please, keep posting.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 10:34:33 AM EDT
[#40]
I've never been in traffic as slow as you've described and had any sort of spacing in front of me.  The second there is a space in front of your vehicle big enough for another car, somebody shoots into it.

Your story feels made up.

Link Posted: 7/20/2017 10:34:36 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Let's think about this logically.

If a road is x feet in length, and each car takes up y space, there are z number of cars on the road.

Keeping x the same, double the value of y. Now there are z/2 number of cars on the road. The carrying capacity of the road has been cut in half.

Let's think about this mathematically.

A volumetric flow rate is pAV, where p is the density, A is the area, and V is the velocity. Decreasing the density by definition will directly decrease the flow rate. To maintain a steady flow rate, V must be increased if p is decreased. But V will stay constant because of speed limits.

So, no, you are not correct.
View Quote
This is exactly what I was talking about on the first page. There seems to be a critical point where the total flux of cars isn't sufficient and everything goes to shit.

I'm not a proponent of everyone tailgating, but leaving more room just to fuck with other drivers is not helping anyone out.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 10:39:07 AM EDT
[#42]
LOL you need to drive with the "95 Interval", close enough to discourage "shoehorning" but far enough back you hope to God you have enough room to stop if the idiot in front of you stands on his brakes.

That Daily DC Deathmarch took years off my life two decades ago and I hear it's 10 times worse nowadays!
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 10:39:23 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Traffic in West Virginia? Where are all the methbillies going?
I'll take a guess that he's commuting into northern Virginia.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 10:39:41 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

This is exactly what I was talking about on the first page. There seems to be a critical point where the total flux of cars isn't sufficient and everything goes to shit.

I'm not a proponent of everyone tailgating, but leaving more room just to fuck with other drivers is not helping anyone out.
View Quote
Right. The big argument for self driving cars is decreased following distance and increased traffic flow rate, and this is made possible mainly because of the faster braking reaction times. OP has admitted basically checking his brain back at his garage and lolling along with as little engagement as possible. This he confidently claims is "defensive driving", when really he's just a lazy ass who isn't paying attention and is the direct cause of traffic congestion.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 10:40:47 AM EDT
[#45]
OP has very much figured this out.  I like his style.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 10:42:36 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Now, my commuter car is small and shitty. So maybe these people think they are going to pull up next to me and scare me? Yell obscenities at me to make me feel bad? I dont think they expect to get me looking back with a big ass smile and a wave. A big, bearded dude, with bunch of scars on his face, smiling like an idiot never breaking eye contact. The situation deescalates very quickly.
View Quote

The driving description sounds a lot like passive-aggressive bullshit, after hearing what you are actually thinking while doing it.  Your outlook on yourself reminds me that there are a lot of people in the world, many of them on that same drive with you, who don't care who you are, what you look like, or that you have a beard and some scars.

When you get shot in your bearded face for being passive-aggressive and waving and shit to a borderline sociopath in traffic, don't say I didn't try to warn you about it today.

Four car lengths is not safer than two car lengths in 4mph traffic.  In fact, you could be exactly ONE car length behind the car in front of you and have a completely defensive safety stopping zone, that would make grandma feel safe.  In fact, based on what I wrote above, four car lengths is actually LESS safe because you are inviting interactions with mentally unstable people, or worse, you are inviting people to enter your lane inside that zone, and possibly two or three at a time.  I would want to have a proper buffer for speed, and also dissuade other lanes of traffic from wanting to interact inside my lane or with my buffer.  That mindset is truly defensive.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 10:43:25 AM EDT
[#47]
Office Space Opening Traffic
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 10:43:34 AM EDT
[#48]
My morning commute.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 10:45:50 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
You NEVER drive on the defense.
The prevent defense NEVER works.

Always be on the offense.
Be an offensive driver I say.

You're in charge of your own destination.
Switch lanes, speed a little to get and stay in front, anticipate retards, jackasses and morons.

A defensive driver sits there and is everyone's floormat.
View Quote
/THREAD.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 10:46:37 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Ive been driving in traffic for a long time now, many years. I spend somewhere between 1 hour and 2 hours of my day in traffic. Four lane wide, 6 mph to 11 mph type of traffic. My body has given up on caring how fast i get to work. Ill get there when i get there and there is no point in worrying or trying to rush my way through to get there. Ive learned to just sit back, relax, chill out to audible and mentally prepare for the day.

Ive learned instead of riding everyone's ass in traffic, just to give myself a a wide berth with the person in front of me. Shocker i know, what a rebel . That way if a sudden stop comes up or people want to cut me off, ive got plenty of room. Like 3-4 car lengths atleast. Since all four lanes arent going any faster than the others, who gives a shit anyways, right?

Holy jesus, i might as well be riding around with a Nazi and confederate flag flying on my commuter car. This little concept ENRAGES the fuck out of people. I used to get upset, like, come on man, its not a race, ill pass you in 5 mins anyways. Now, after a few years, i get pleasure from it. Almost everyday this week ive looked in my rear view mirror to see this.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/304344/driving-1-258501.JPG

Which makes me laugh, out loud, like a mad man as i watch them with maniacal fascination. They are just screaming at their windshield. Pounding on their steering wheel. They are ready to murder with extreme prejudice. Since both lanes arent moving any faster and we are moving at a 4 mph pace, they have no other choice but to look at my 4 car lengths in front of me and envision a world where they are 4 car lengths closer to their destination. Sometimes ill even slow down MORE. We've got 10 more miles at 4.5 mph buddy, better get strapped into that pretty hate machine youre piloting.

Sometimes they will get lucky. They will change lanes and get to pull up next to me and i get this.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/304344/driving2-258503.JPG

https://68.media.tumblr.com/95eb7519d13e4bfea542b2e1b8e19f1b/tumblr_njqh4fq4lU1tdy0nco1_500.gif

So, traffic is actually entertaining sometimes.
View Quote

Screen name is appropriate.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top