[#1]
Meh.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 5:09:37 AM EDT
[#2]
The older I get the more Im ok with it.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 7:01:03 AM EDT
[#3]
I adopted 5 kids...

not to old to adopt, plenty of 5 to 16 yr olds our there need guidance and sense of place in the world..

no one wants the older kids, so, an older parent walking in is a God send..
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 7:05:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A man is not complete without children, sounds harsh, but it is true.  
View Quote
Bullshit.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 7:08:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My kids give me a level of joy that I never could comprehend before I was a father
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 7:12:57 AM EDT
[#6]
We had our son when I was 40 and my wife 35. The doctors were telling her she might not be able to have kids because she has endometriosis. Right after we were married all it took was one shot lol. 

We were under the impression that we couldn't and maybe it was too late for us. He's 5 years old now and doing good. We are happy he is here but we were prepared for the possibility of not being able to have kids and were totally fine with it.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 7:13:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Didn't happen for us. We tried and still didn't have kids. My wife would have been an amazing mother and love kids and would have put everything into being the best father I could be.

But it didn't happen. But why let it destroy me with regrets? We tried; we took it as far as we agreed to short of putting ourselves in major debt with no safety net. There is no point to letting it eat me up inside. What I can do is enjoy myself, enjoy my wife and our time on Earth, and be the best uncle I can be.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 7:15:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I'd be a terrible father.
View Quote
This.
It wouldn't be fair to the kid for me to have one.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 7:15:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Not for me. No regrets. I'd make a terrible father and I know it.

Believe it or not, there are also women out there who don't want kids either. Be firm up front and it's not a problem.

I guess that I'll add that there really isn't a too late for guys. Yes, being a 60 year old new dad would suck but it's doable. 
View Quote
Good chance you'll die before the child reaches adulthood given the average male life expectancy. 78 years but since it's the average that means half of us can expect less than that. You may also spend the last several years of that time a near invalid leaving your spouse to care for you and the child. I've seen a lot of men who hit a brick wall at 65 where their health nosedives. Seems kind of selfish to have a child at that age or beyond just to fill a void you created in your life. The risk of you leaving the child fatherless at a young age is high. Plus studies have shown that older fathers also have a higher risk of producing children with birth defects. Having children at age 60 is about as irresponsible as having them at 16.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 7:16:17 AM EDT
[#10]
I'm 34. No kids and plan to keep it that way.

There was never a point in my life where I thought I should. Never felt right.

Life is short. I want to spend as much time doing what I want, not wasting weekends hauling kids around to sporting events. I see the parents camped out beside soccer fields and hear my coworkers bitch about driving hours so the kid can play in a baseball game. Nope, you can keep all that.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 7:16:48 AM EDT
[#11]
No regerts.

Got snipped last year at 40.  Kids make things too complicated and I never liked them anyways.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 7:17:08 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Sounds dumb, is how it sounds.
View Quote
Before I was blessed with children, I said the exact same thing. 
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 7:17:24 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Same here.

I'm not exactly thrilled with the idea of never having kids, but it is what it is.
View Quote
The bar is set pretty low in this world.  Honestly I thought I would be pretty shit at being a father too, but it turns out all it really takes is effort and love.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 7:20:10 AM EDT
[#14]
Some on her lips....some on her tits.

Zero regret.

We came to that conclusion when we were 16.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 7:22:21 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sounds like the women who say that a woman isn't truly fulfilled until she's a mother. That leaves out my amazing wife, so I completely reject these notions.

It's an ego stroke, is what it is.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 7:24:24 AM EDT
[#16]
Sucks when you realize it and its just too damn late. There's nothing you can do about it and its just such an important part of your life.
Hell, you're supposed to be born, grow, reproduce and die. At least thats the drive in our genes.
I always knew I wanted to be a dad and had a couple kids pretty early in life, listening to them fool around right now.
Sometimes they drive you nuts but man are they worth it.
My oldest is about to turn 15. I still hug him, kiss him and tell him I love him. He tries to escape but I'm still stronger than him.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 7:24:41 AM EDT
[#17]
These threads always amaze me.

Having kids (natural or adopted) is the most challenging and rewarding thing you can do with your life.  People without kids spend their whole lives in the shallow end of the pool.

Buddy of mine is 51, always said he'd be a bachelor forever.  Well, he got married a few years ago and just had his first kid.  He's loving life.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 7:26:06 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

BREEDERS.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 7:27:26 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote
My uncle would be a good example. Three children, three mothers and never had anything much to do with any of them but I guess he's complete. Not everybody is meant for it.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 7:27:54 AM EDT
[#20]
I think it bothers my wife more so than it does me, but only because she thinks it bothers me. Lots of weird "where's the iocaine powder" shit going on there.

Now she's contending with menopause, so that's fun. Makes her mopey after being around other people's kids, though.

Not like we didn't try.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 7:29:08 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Not for me. No regrets. I'd make a terrible father and I know it.
View Quote
This.  Also, I was up front about this with my ex wife.  2.5 years into the marriage, she decided I should change my view on it cause she suddenly got baby fever.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 7:29:35 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Biggest regret of my life. Let myself get too old... Totally fucked this up.
View Quote

A relative of mine had his first and only when he was about to turn 60. I thought it was terrible, unnatural, I still do.
But to be honest the guy is doing all right ten years later, happier than ever and it seems that caring for a kid has taken a few years off of him. Doing ok for a 70 year old.
Sure, he's way too old but at least he has a son, pretty sure he's a better parent than many out there. On the up side he has a financial security few people have, as in that kid not having to worry about money ever.
If you find a woman wanting to have a kid (which isnt that hard) you can still be a father.
You'll be an old one, but you still can.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 7:38:02 AM EDT
[#23]
They do teach you patience as the little monsters will mess with your emotions.  They are not for everyone and sometimes they come with a crazy mother unit.  

I wasn't going to have kids until the first came along as an oops when I was 23, second came along a few years latter.  They are both married off now and I am glad I put up with their crazy mother while raising them as its all worth it now.  

I don't know how older parents have the energy for raising babies.  That's a young adult's job as kids are a lot of work.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 7:40:42 AM EDT
[#24]
2 females i know said I'd make a great dad.

Link Posted: 7/20/2017 7:44:44 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

53... Way too old to be making babies.
I love kids, just missed out...
View Quote

You've missed nothing.  Go to Asian country of your choice.  Find a lovely mid 30's no kids, never been married girl and the rest will take care of itself..........

In Asian cultures there is no social stigma associated with old man / young woman  marriage with thousands upon thousands to choose.  And on top of that you can live the same life style you enjoy in US for maybe 25% of the cost in her country.

I am 54 and we are expecting 3rd in 3 years this October.  Now it is all on you because you know, no more whining "woe is me I am too old."  

Get off you butt, get a passport and buy a plane ticket........

Link Posted: 7/20/2017 7:46:51 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
They do teach you patience as the little monsters will mess with your emotions.  They are not for everyone and sometimes they come with a crazy mother unit.  

I wasn't going to have kids until the first came along as an oops when I was 23, second came along a few years latter.  They are both married off now and I am glad I put up with their crazy mother while raising them as its all worth it now.  

I don't know how older parents have the energy for raising babies.  That's a young adult's job as kids are a lot of work.  
View Quote
I was 19 when I became a father. Not intentionally of course but there it is. The second one came along at age 23. Now I'm in my mid 30s and watching my friends having their first children at this age all I can think is "better you than me pal". When I was younger getting up several times a night with a baby was easy. I don't think I could function properly at all the next day if I had to do that now. As a bonus some day I'll get to actually play with my grandchildren as opposed to watching them run around from the porch in my old geezer chair. May very well live to see great grandchildren. Three of my grandparents were still around to see the first one. Only one made it to see the second.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 7:56:16 AM EDT
[#27]
If we don't raise young in our own image and teach them how to be self reliant we lose. It's that simple.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 8:00:59 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
My kids give me a level of joy that I never could comprehend before I was a father
View Quote
SPNI
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 8:03:49 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I'm 47 now. Not too late for me, but too late for my wife. When we finally decided to try, it was too late. My wife isn't as bothered by it as I am. I am bothered. I can't do anything about it, but I do think about it a lot.
View Quote
Is adoption off the table?  I'm sure there are a variety of reasons why it could be.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 8:11:05 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I regret nothing.
View Quote
me either
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 8:13:35 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I regret nothing.
View Quote
me either
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 8:20:18 AM EDT
[#32]
I'm 29 and the wife is 23, we have no kids and she doesn't want any. I can see the appeal in both directions.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 8:24:09 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote
I have heard this a number of times and have no problem believing it's true.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 8:28:59 AM EDT
[#34]
my nephew is 3, he is alot of fun to play with but I couldnt imagine having to take care/watch after him all the time as a parent.

im 31, currently being an uncle is good enough for me.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 8:30:54 AM EDT
[#35]
Lolol sucks for you, OP. Some of us are comfortable making grown up decisions like not having fuck trophies ruining our lives.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 8:34:25 AM EDT
[#36]
Sometimes I do regret not having any. Most of the time, after spending time with neighbor's kids and my nieces, that feeling dissipates rather quickly.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 8:38:47 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Sometimes I do regret not having any. Most of the time, after spending time with neighbor's kids and my nieces, that feeling dissipates rather quickly.
View Quote
I know exactly what you mean. As cliched as it sounds it really is different when they're your own. I don't like kids at all and want nothing to do with other people's children. My nephew is three months old and I've held him once...that was enough for me.

It was totally different when they were my own.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 8:39:24 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Lolol sucks for you, OP. Some of us are comfortable making grown up decisions like not having fuck trophies ruining our lives.
View Quote
Children=fuck trophies
Mentally unstable people should not own guns. A disaster waiting to happen.
Also interesting, the idea of getting a trophy each time you fuck.
Is it such an acomplishement for you that is deserves a trophy? still waiting for that day big guy?
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 8:45:33 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

Harsh.

ETA: FerFal doesn't think anyone should own guns.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 8:47:41 AM EDT
[#40]
Would I rather be convicted of multiple felonies, or have kids? Hard to say. They both involve about the same level of making me do things I'd rather not do, deal with people and government agencies I don't want to deal with, for about the same length of time and cost.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 8:56:18 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
This.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'd be a terrible father.
This.
Put me in this "I would suck at being a dad" group.

And at 44 I am of the mindset that it is too damn late to start now.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 8:58:25 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I regret nothing.
+87!
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 8:59:15 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I regret nothing.
View Quote
<----------no kids.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 9:00:38 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 9:01:02 AM EDT
[#45]
Kids are greatest joy ... and greatest frustration.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 9:04:15 AM EDT
[#46]
Best decision me and my wife ever made was to not have kids.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 9:06:24 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
glad i dont have any soul sucking money killers.
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 9:13:35 AM EDT
[#48]
53 and no kids.  Not a single regret. I've lost track of the times I've been talking to friends. They ask what I'm doing for the weekend. Shooting. Hunting. Sitting around puttering in the garage. They get this depressed look as they talk about soccer games or some such crap. I don't like kids, never wanted them.

I think if more guys were honest with themselves they'd come to the conclusion they'd rather not have had kids. I see guys with great wives, happily married.

Then the baby comes and the wife turns into mom, the husband is neglected because it's all about the kids and pretty soon he's just a paycheck who works his ass off to support a wife and kids he never even gets to enjoy because he's always working and Mom's too tired to pay any attention to dad.

Thanks but I'm happily complete and wouldn't change a thing.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 9:16:58 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

53... Way too old to be making babies.
I love kids, just missed out...
View Quote
You're FOS.
This is the age married guys should have a mid life crisis and start a new family.

I turn 50 soon.

Got a full head of hair with hardly a gray,
And no big belly
Three kids in college.

I know I am not super pretty boy Brad Pitt or Tom cruise,
But a solid josh brolin, russel Crowe, Jeffery dean Morgan kind of guy.

Chicks half my age with daddy issues and esteem problems are drawn to me like a moth to flame.
Mid 30s professional women with no kids and no husband hearing the biological clock ticking
Like a desperate moth to a flame their life depends on.

I make a lot of money since I retired from the army.

I could be cranking kids out on the side like a champ.
So could you.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 9:24:47 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Bullshit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
A man is not complete without children, sounds harsh, but it is true.  
Bullshit.
Some truth to it.

Raising your children makes you something you would not be without it.

Just like passing a SOF pipeline, being in combat makes you something you would not have been without it.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top