Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 7:13:19 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd leave it, not worth the risk.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 7:13:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Looked up the laws of commie commie and says you can't even transport unloaded pistol unless traveling to range or hunting. What a peice of shit state but have to bring woman to beach.
View Quote

Just know some of the indoor ranges and say that's where your going.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 7:23:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Ammo does not need to be separate.  This is commonly stated, but remains wrong.  The firearm itself just needs to be unloaded. 
View Quote
Actually that is not true. If the magazine is loaded and touching the gun they can get you for that. I have asked more than one law enforcement officer and half of them said it can't be anywhere near it and half of them said it could.

I just leave mine loaded in the trunk. Fuck em.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 7:28:28 PM EDT
[#4]
It's your choice to vacation in a libtard cesspool.
It should have been one of the first considerations.

Thier laws your consequences.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 7:29:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Looked up the laws of commie commie and says you can't even transport unloaded pistol unless traveling to range or hunting. What a peice of shit state but have to bring woman to beach.

Should I just bring #2 pencil?

Prolly illegal too
View Quote

Lol, where the fuck did you read that lie?

Boggling.

You can absolutely transport anything you want here barring 'assault weapons' and .50bmg guns.

Just need to be unloaded. Sometimes they want it locked up.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 7:32:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I have a beat to shit California approved Wilson combat  from the last century that I take with me.
View Quote
'Approved' only matters for new guns sold.

No law on the books about bringing in your gun into the state. Approved or not.

Where do people find these made up rules?

God damn I think I lost IQ points from reading some of this.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 7:35:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote
For the LOVE OF GOD

Stop parroting lies. Jesus christ, people think CA is crazy because they believe outright lies.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 7:40:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Actually that is not true. If the magazine is loaded and touching the gun they can get you for that. I have asked more than one law enforcement officer and half of them said it can't be anywhere near it and half of them said it could.

I just leave mine loaded in the trunk. Fuck em.
View Quote
Actually, it is true, and what you describe was already litigated and the courts clarified that the ammo actually has to be in the weapon, not just attached to it or near it, for it to be considered loaded.  That the cops you spoke to are ignorant of the fact does not change the fact, and cops being ignorant of or having wrong ideas about the law in any aspect is far from unprecedented.  I've heard CA cops swear before Prop 63 that all hi-cap mags were illegal to possess, to include those bought before 2000.  They were wrong (and so long as the injunction remains in place, still are), but you could show them the actual law and they would dismiss it as false.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 7:40:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
For the LOVE OF GOD

Stop parroting lies. Jesus christ, people think CA is crazy because they believe outright lies.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

For the LOVE OF GOD

It's still crazy.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 8:02:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Yeah, downtown Oakland gets interesting, especially near Broadwayhttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/459941/IMG-1416-1--258137.JPG
View Quote
Downtown lots of places is interesting.  Not just in Ca.  Although I have no problem with the idea of our diverse social elements bumping into each other so if the flat earthers and sjws are competing in the same marketplace of ideas, fine with me.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 8:14:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yeah, like that's going to work.  It's alright officer, I was going to Billy Joe Bob's All Night Range in Fontana.

Maybe it's just me (and a lot of other folks) but seriously, how many times do some of you get stopped and searched for just no reason at all, just right out of the blue, just because some mind reading cop "knew" you had something illegal in the car?  Now, I will admit to being a tad nervous at one point (tiny crack in the windshield) on the way to a SASS event and had oh, say 6-8 firearms in the truck along with booze for the party at the "barn dance" and grip and grin after shooting hours, but still.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 8:16:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I just wouldn't go to Cali
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 8:24:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Prolly illegal too
View Quote

I just got back from 27 days in L.A., visiting my dad and other family members and left my shit at home, but for a SAK SwissChamp I carried on me.  Pops has plenty of weapons, but I didn't risk carrying them around.

The odds are in your favor that you'll survive.

Chris
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 8:29:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote
This is the answer you seek.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 8:57:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
It's still crazy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

For the LOVE OF GOD

It's still crazy.
This illustrates what the real problem is. Nobody* knows the law including authorities, most think they do including authorities and gun store staff, some try to just play it safe, (see hunter only gun stores) and those who have a clue have a hard time keeping up. The fear is real.

*with very few exceptions including here.

Visit a few gun stores, ask the same questions and you will get a different answer every time. For some real fun tell them you want to buy an sks.

Don't bring your dog to the beach. Bird lives matter.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 9:02:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 9:04:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 9:08:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Lock it on a box with unloaded mags. Have ammo separate.

Make sure your pistol does not have a threaded barrel and no mags over 10 rounds.

If you have a 1911 you'd be pretty safe.

I flew  with my glock 19 into Chicago O'Hare a couple weeks ago and left from O'Hare with my checked 19 with no problems.
View Quote
LOL. Might as well leave it at home. What good is a pistol locked in a box with unloaded mags?
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 9:13:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Prolly illegal too
View Quote
Play it safe and stay home.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 9:15:55 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Has to be in trunk unless a truck and loaded mag is best in a separate container due to some LEO that interpret loaded mag as a loaded gun. I keep ammo and mag in one bag and firearm either in mini safe or in another bag with a trigger lock due to CA laws and the San Francisco Berkeley mentality.
View Quote
Fuck all that bullshit. Go somewhere else
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 10:26:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Nailed it.  I do not want my tax dollars going there.  I have given up california wine which is pretty awesome for the money.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nailed it.  I do not want my tax dollars going there.  I have given up california wine which is pretty awesome for the money.
Agreed. I was obligated to go to MD a few years back. Their gun laws are just as ridiculous as CA and NY. Same nonsense where the only way a non-resident can transport a firearm is if they're going to a range, gunsmith, etc. Even if it was completely broken down. And it had to be the main purpose of the trip. Not, "Oh, I came here on vacation and figured I'd spend a few hours at a local range one of the days."

Again, I had to go. But that didn't stop me from managing to spend a total of $0 while in that hellhole of a state. Drove just outside the border the first day. Stayed at a hotel across the state line. Went to the event the next day. Drove back to the same hotel for the evening. Then went back home the next day. I'm sure that they'll never even notice one person refusing to patronize their State. But at least it made the trip palatable.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 12:42:16 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I always do.  I've got one of those small handgun safes just big enough for one handgun and a mag or two.  Not much bigger than a book.  Keep the gun unloaded.  Loaded mag is ok inside the safe with it.

I keep it under the seat while driving.

That use to be legal as a few years ago.  I hope it still is.  I'm sure a CA member can confirm.

I'd take a Glock 27 or 1911.  No mags over 10 rounds.
View Quote
This(among others) is why we have a CA HTF to ask questions in.

I'm 63.  Under the front or other seat has been illegal since Christ was a Corporal around here.  "not easily accessible" was the standard verbiage for years

Pistols,  New law -10 rounds or under magazines.  

Old Law - In a locked container, not easily accessible to the driver, or away from the driver if no trunk.  Glove compartment or center console aren't legal "containers."  If you can figure out how to put a lock on a paper bag, that would meet the conditions.  It just has to surround the gun and lock.  The lock can be pretty shitty and pull apart.  Just a container and have an actual lock

Ammo can be in same container, can be in a mag, just not loaded.

"Lawful purpose" is doing anything but going out to commit a crime.

The "Safety" list is not applicable, it only applies to sales of new guns.

From the AG site

Pursuant to California Penal Code section 25610, a United States citizen over 18 years of age who is not prohibited from firearm possession, and who resides or is temporarily in California, may transport by motor vehicle any handgun provided it is unloaded and locked in the vehicle’s trunk or in a locked container. Furthermore, the handgun must be carried directly to or from any motor vehicle for any lawful purpose and, while being carried must be contained within a locked container.

Pursuant to California Penal Code section 16850, the term "locked container" means a secure container that is fully enclosed and locked by a padlock, key lock, combination lock, or similar locking device. This includes the trunk of a motor vehicle, but does not include the utility or glove compartment.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 12:45:34 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote
 On the downside, so many ranges have been closed down, best to double check if it's open daily
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 12:48:22 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Lol, where the fuck did you read that lie?

Boggling.

You can absolutely transport anything you want here barring 'assault weapons' and .50bmg guns.

Just need to be unloaded. Sometimes they want it locked up.
View Quote
True but you can be griefed passing thru San Francisco and Berkeley or even Sunnyvale
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 12:50:05 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Yeah, fuck all that. "Durr, just keep it unloaded, locked up, disassembled, not in passenger compartment, with 10rd mags or less, with etc etc etc"             No thanks. I'd just rather never go there and never support anything in that state with one dollar if I have a choice.
View Quote
Yeah we use the laws to scare the Texans away.  They tend to have coronaries when they find out we can shoot in OUR desert or similar places without asking permission of the landlord.  The concept of free shooting on government land is a little too much for many to take.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 12:53:28 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Actually, it is true, and what you describe was already litigated and the courts clarified that the ammo actually has to be in the weapon, not just attached to it or near it, for it to be considered loaded.  That the cops you spoke to are ignorant of the fact does not change the fact, and cops being ignorant of or having wrong ideas about the law in any aspect is far from unprecedented.  I've heard CA cops swear before Prop 63 that all hi-cap mags were illegal to possess, to include those bought before 2000.  They were wrong (and so long as the injunction remains in place, still are), but you could show them the actual law and they would dismiss it as false.
View Quote
Holy shit if that isn't true. I generally try to be low key, quiet and cooperative but I've experienced a couple outrageous make up the law as they see fit incidents which have set me off despite my desire to not escalate things
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 12:58:16 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I just got back from 27 days in L.A., visiting my dad and other family members and left my shit at home, but for a SAK SwissChamp I carried on me.  Pops has plenty of weapons, but I didn't risk carrying them around.

The odds are in your favor that you'll survive.

Chris
View Quote
True 99% of the time but every once in awhile even in highly patrolled tourist areas people have been killed
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 1:00:37 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Tagged for pictures of OP wearing an ITB holster in his Speedos.
View Quote
Even surfers carry 7 foot guns
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 1:10:18 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I'm 63.  Under the front or other seat has been illegal since Christ was a Corporal around here.  "not easily accessible" was the standard verbiage for years

Pistols,  New law -10 rounds or under magazines.  

Old Law - In a locked container, not easily accessible to the driver, or away from the driver if no trunk.  Glove compartment or center console aren't legal "containers."  If you can figure out how to put a lock on a paper bag, that would meet the conditions.  It just has to surround the gun and lock.  The lock can be pretty shitty and pull apart.  Just a container and have an actual lock

Ammo can be in same container, can be in a mag, just not loaded.

"Lawful purpose" is doing anything but going out to commit a crime.

The "Safety" list is not applicable, it only applies to sales of new guns.

From the AG site

Pursuant to California Penal Code section 25610, a United States citizen over 18 years of age who is not prohibited from firearm possession, and who resides or is temporarily in California, may transport by motor vehicle any handgun provided it is unloaded and locked in the vehicle’s trunk or in a locked container. Furthermore, the handgun must be carried directly to or from any motor vehicle for any lawful purpose and, while being carried must be contained within a locked container.

Pursuant to California Penal Code section 16850, the term "locked container" means a secure container that is fully enclosed and locked by a padlock, key lock, combination lock, or similar locking device. This includes the trunk of a motor vehicle, but does not include the utility or glove compartment.
View Quote
Last I checked the verbiage, container meant that it had to be something a but tougher than a paper bag, something that might actually take some effort to break into, like using a tool or a lot of force, like one might for a cloth container.

The container can be accessible to the driver as long as it is a locked container as prescribed by law, but locked compartment of the vehicle excludes utility box, center console, etc.; has to be something external like the trunk.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 1:13:53 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

If the cops are searching your vehicle and secured belongings without your consent, you might have bigger issues.  It's not even remotely an issue to worry about.  If you're dealing with a hardcore anti-gun cop, it might not matter what the law says or where your mags are.  But generally, as long as you don't advertise that you have a gun (which in CA permits a search without warrant or probable cause to ensure guns are unloaded) and aren't giving probable cause sufficient to result in a search of your stuff, you should have no issues.  The key is to choose an innocuous container for one's pistol and not something that screams gun or tactical.
View Quote
A couple of bad experiences in the distant past with the anti gun types in SF Bay Area and Los Angeles that were pushing the legal envelope have me overly cautious now so that I stay in the remotely category from now on. So far so good
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 1:34:30 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 2:07:18 AM EDT
[#32]
Good grief people.

1. Soft side pistol rug.
2. Crappy drug store 3 wheel combo luggage lock -> set the combo so 2 of the 3 wheels are on the combo and the last is one number off. So the combo is 000, cool set it to 001.
3. Just about any modern mag-in-the-grip semi auto pistol. Revolver? It's your funeral. :P
4. As many 10rnd mags fully loaded as will fit in the rug alongside the pistol but not in the gun.
5. No threaded barrel.
6. No PVS-14 mounted to it -> night vis on the gun is no bueno but you can have one on your head just fine. :P
5. Put it in the trunk and lock the trunk (which every car does automatically).
6. When you get to your hotel, load a mag, rack one into the chamber, set on your nightstand.
7. When you leave the hotel, unload, chambered round back to the mag, into the rug, lock it, into the trunk.

That's it. I'm not a CA resident, but I travel there all the time for work. Better to have in case the place goes sideways and you can go from a driver seat to trunk open and pistol gassed up in less than 10 seconds.

If anyone can show me a current CA statute that shows my plan is illegal, I stand by ready to be schooled. :)
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 2:21:43 AM EDT
[#33]
You're going to get raped... by the cops.... haha. Yeah I don't bring guns into Cali. Hell I try to avoid going there if I can. 
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 2:48:14 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Good grief people.

1. Soft side pistol rug.
2. Crappy drug store 3 wheel combo luggage lock -> set the combo so 2 of the 3 wheels are on the combo and the last is one number off. So the combo is 000, cool set it to 001.
3. Just about any modern mag-in-the-grip semi auto pistol. Revolver? It's your funeral. :P
4. As many 10rnd mags fully loaded as will fit in the rug alongside the pistol but not in the gun.
5. No threaded barrel.
6. No PVS-14 mounted to it -> night vis on the gun is no bueno but you can have one on your head just fine. :P
6. When you get to your hotel, load a mag, rack one into the chamber, set on your nightstand.
7. When you leave the hotel, unload, chambered round back to the mag, into the rug, lock it, into the trunk.

That's it. I'm not a CA resident, but I travel there all the time for work. Better to have in case the place goes sideways and you can go from a driver seat to trunk open and pistol gassed up in less than 10 seconds.

If anyone can show me a current CA statute that shows my plan is illegal, I stand by ready to be schooled. :)
View Quote
You can do one better and just have the pistol like that next to you or somewhere else in the passenger compartment of the car, carry it in a bag outside of the car, etc.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 2:49:13 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

It's still crazy.
View Quote
That part is true.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 2:58:18 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I'm 63.  Under the front or other seat has been illegal since Christ was a Corporal around here.  "not easily accessible" was the standard verbiage for years.

From the AG site

View Quote
I referenced the stuff on Calguns.  In a locked case - under the seat, in your lap, or anywhere else in the vehicle, even within reach is perfectly legal according to the advice they're handing out over there.   The laws you cited don't mention anything about that being illegal either.

Where is this "not easily accessible" at?
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 3:04:28 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I referenced the stuff on Calguns.  In a locked case - under the seat, in your lap, or anywhere else in the vehicle, even within reach is perfectly legal according to the advice they're handing out over there.   The laws you cited don't mention anything about that being illegal either.

Where is this "not easily accessible" at?
View Quote
Have to commend you for delving over there. There's a lot of valuable legal knowledge on California gun laws but in my opinion much of the non-legal discussions get and the site itself has become more difficult to navigate around as the years go on
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 3:07:02 PM EDT
[#38]
I think that's what's been happening here.  A lot of stuff said, but perhaps not backed up with fact or the law.

If I'm wrong.  And it looks like I've been called out on it.  Show me the law.  Not some tribal knowledge that might just be incorrect.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 3:16:50 PM EDT
[#39]
Here's the stuff from calguns
transporting a handgun
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 3:31:24 PM EDT
[#40]
You driving? If so I kept one under the seat in my truck. I went a couple weeks ago.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 3:58:38 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I think that's what's been happening here.  A lot of stuff said, but perhaps not backed up with fact or the law.

If I'm wrong.  And it looks like I've been called out on it.  Show me the law.  Not some tribal knowledge that might just be incorrect.
View Quote
In my opinion the problem becomes one of finances & convenience because as others have stated before there's 52 DAs in California and there's been people including myself who get swept up by authorities who don't mind running you and your property through the ringer at your expense. So you end up deciding, well, do I want to keep litigating every time? You feel punked because you know you're being pressured into doing something that you don't legally have to do otherwise. But after missing work to make appearances in court, parking fines incurred because you didn't want to be late to the courtroom and parked wherever there was a spot left available because Oakland, Berkeley, San Francisco and L.A. have congested streets or having your property never returned - ask about the AR15 that the LA sheriffs department never returned after charges were dropped back in 2008, then you begin to do the math and see what you're up against.

How many times has the 9th circuit been overturned? A judge just overruled a gun law for magazines that a likely future Gov. of California just put on the November 2016 ballot which California voters passed.

Another example Kate Steinle gets murdered and San Francisco city council not only doesn't care, they defy Trump with new rules for police regarding ICE, plus California .gov floats sanctuary state bills as well

Many California Democrats behave as if CALEXIT already happened including Gov. Jerry Brown meeting with foreign nations like China to arrange climate deals in San Francisco

UC Berkeley once again is blocking a speaker, Ben Shapiro from appearing this fall and the University of California just released new rules for speaker appearing on campus, that even local SF bay area Hillary for President endorsing newspapers describe as extremely difficult hurdles to pass for future speakers

This is one of the reasons I jumped on Team Trump and why I'm so invested in Judge Gorsuch and SCOTUS. Somebody needs to slap some peepes in California .gov

These leftists do what they want and those of us stuck among them, end up fearing them because it seems like there's no rule of law or the only recourse is financially exorbitant

So you end up with these tribal knowledge ideas because people are trying to do an end run around statists controlling Los Angeles and San Francisco don't give a shit about the Constitution or the law as written
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 5:34:33 PM EDT
[#42]
I lived in CA for nearly 30 years.  I know about the mindset of the vast majority of people there.  The contrast compared to a state like Utah is remarkable.  You don't even need a concealed carry permit here to carry a loaded handgun around in a car here.  Not that it matters much. Most of the population has the permit  You get pulled over with a loaded gun here and the cops don't freak out.  They'll just tell you not to touch it as opposed to getting pulled out of the car and the serial number run in CA.  Not that most would have a gun there.  CCW in the kids schools no problem.  Armed teachers, plenty of them..

The laws in CA are just a symptom of all of the fucking liberals that live there.

I don't live in fear of the government here.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 5:43:30 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote
This

Beaches are nicer and warmer in Florida
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 5:52:13 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I lived in CA for nearly 30 years.  I know about the mindset of the vast majority of people there.  The contrast compared to a state like Utah is remarkable.  You don't even need a concealed carry permit here to carry a loaded handgun around in a car here.  Not that it matters much. Most of the population has the permit  You get pulled over with a loaded gun here and the cops don't freak out.  They'll just tell you not to touch it as opposed to getting pulled out of the car and the serial number run in CA.  Not that most would have a gun there.  CCW in the kids schools no problem.  Armed teachers, plenty of them..

The laws in CA are just a symptom of all of the fucking liberals that live there.

I don't live in fear of the government here.
View Quote
Well put

I do live in fear of the government here

Blade Runner (Roy Batty): "Quite an experience to live in fear, isn't it?"
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 6:00:11 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
When I have to go to this place and am usually driving, which means I had to go through Canada.  There I do not travel with pistols.  However I do travel with a short barrel(legal length) pump action shot gun and a lever action 44 Mag rifle.   No issue with either one of these!
View Quote
Ha ha my travel trailer gun is a pump shotgun. Never have a problem with it. Legal everywhere I go.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 12:03:06 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
You can do one better and just have the pistol like that next to you or somewhere else in the passenger compartment of the car, carry it in a bag outside of the car, etc.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Good grief people.

1. Soft side pistol rug.
5. No threaded barrel.

My man!
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top