Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
IDK, its kinda hard to argue with a real life been there, done that guy
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This thread won't take a turn for the autistic at all. Guaranteed.
It's actually very easy.

The premise is that because he was from that community, that he's competent about firearms selection and application for HD.

He's still clearly in the "heard from cleatus behind the gun counter, so shotgun for HD it is" category.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 10:02:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Last few months he has been talking guns a few times, he said he has been hanging with some seals and FBI guys but hasn't gone into detail
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Stern as in...

...Howard?

I had no idea he talked about stuff like that on his show.
Last few months he has been talking guns a few times, he said he has been hanging with some seals and FBI guys but hasn't gone into detail
He (Stern) has also said that Hillary was a better choice than Trump, that his FBI buddies all hate Trump, that they all had Comey's back, that they're just about ready to lead the FBI in a coup against Trump.....

Stern's show can be entertaining at times, and he's in favor of people having the right to own guns for self defense... as long as they're subject to "reasonable regulation."

He's no friend to the gun owner.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 10:02:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 10:02:51 PM EDT
[#4]
i have three shotguns set out

One on top of the tv cabinet

One in my closet

One in a hall closet

I am not going to kill my neighbors saving my ass with an ar-15

I would feel underguned with an ar-15

A shotgun is the first choice for home defense.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 10:06:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

A.22caliber carbine is the only weapon you can trust your life to.
View Quote
Bullshit. Even just limited to the AR platform there are a number of better options. 6.8 SPC being just one.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 10:12:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Is that what they discovered?

"In Fallujah, Marines with ACOG-equipped M16A4s created a stir by taking so many head shots that until the wounds were closely examined, some observers thought the insurgents had been executed."

Oh.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
And I'll point out that the U.S. investigated the high incidence of head shots in Iraq, discovering, again, that the 5.56 is not a reliable stopper in CQB and that soldiers and marines were using an extra round to ensure their targets were stopped...
Is that what they discovered?

"In Fallujah, Marines with ACOG-equipped M16A4s created a stir by taking so many head shots that until the wounds were closely examined, some observers thought the insurgents had been executed."

Oh.
My post could have been clearer, but that's my point. The shot in the head was relied on to stop the turds because the body shots weren't doing the job.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 10:15:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 10:15:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
There's a difference between a former Navy Seal with a shotgun and an average Joe with no training with a shotgun for home defense, just saying.
View Quote
Correct

There's a huge difference between a SEAL with years of training and some malnourished mountain ape with an RPG or PKM.

There's a huge difference between a SEAL sitting on a MH-47 ramp with no retention lanyard and an 11B with one.

Joe Blow with a few days of training on his AR15 and in goood physical shape will win the fight almost every time against a SEAL with a shotgun, if not every time.  A shotgun is a handicap in an HD scenario if you're facing someone with an AR.

Facing someone with a knife, crowbar, or pistol, it's ok, but not something an experienced person would choose.

Suppressed SBR AR with light and laser is such a huge advantage over a shotgun, it shouldn't even be an argument, other than decades of gun counter BS fighting logic and experience.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 10:16:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

My post could have been clearer, but that's my point. The shot in the head was relied on to stop the turds because the body shots weren't doing the job.
View Quote
Or they were making hits on exposed body parts. Those parts happened to be the head. 
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 10:19:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Bullshit. Even just limited to the AR platform there are a number of better options. 6.8 SPC being just one.
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 10:21:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 10:25:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I like my ARs, and my shotguns.

An experienced duck or goose hunter can, using a 12ga 3", 3 1/2" or 3 1/2" 10ga drop two or even thee ducks or geese at a time, with capacity limited to three rounds by federal law for migratory birds... International trap and skeet are doubles games... But somehow the recoil of a shotgun becomes prohibitive when some ahole is in your house? Really, sissies?

And somehow that pump shotgun the duck and goose or dove hunter or deer hunter has shot thousands of times at clays and birds, deer, maybe rabbits, squirrels, quail, crows and other stuff suddenly becomes too complex to shuck? Please... And btw, the greater the recoil the easier and quicker to cycle.

Thousands of deer are killed with shotguns every year, many in states where 223/5.56 is illegal because it is believed insufficiently lethal for quick, humane kills... And I'll point out that the U.S. investigated the high incidence of head shots in Iraq, discovering, again, that the 5.56 is not a reliable stopper in CQB and that soldiers and marines were using an extra round to ensure their targets were stopped...
View Quote
Never go full mongo....
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 10:26:56 PM EDT
[#13]
you are a fool if you think 12ga 3" 00 buck is an ineffective man stopper

Link Posted: 7/18/2017 10:27:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I don't agree, SG are not so terribly hard to manipulate and people kill each other every damn day, why do some feel it is this monumental task. Have you ever looked at the mug shots of all these people killing other people or even the people that successfully defended themselves with lethal force they aren't exactly tier 1 operators yet they get the job done.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sure he's BTDT. So it stands to reason he's well trained and tempered under fire and will never short-stroke or fumble a reload, anticipate recoil, etc while under duress.

Joe-blow America who has not been tested under fire would be better off with a magazine-fed rifle.
I don't agree, SG are not so terribly hard to manipulate and people kill each other every damn day, why do some feel it is this monumental task. Have you ever looked at the mug shots of all these people killing other people or even the people that successfully defended themselves with lethal force they aren't exactly tier 1 operators yet they get the job done.
Anybody with an IQ higher than a bag of wood screws can use a pump shotgun. Like any other weapon, the more you practice, the better you get at handling it.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 10:27:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
i have three shotguns set out

One on top of the tv cabinet

One in my closet

One in a hall closet

I am not going to kill my neighbors saving my ass with an ar-15

I would feel underguned with an ar-15

A shotgun is the first choice for home defense.
View Quote
Jeezus......I'm kicking you out of the club. Have an apple.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 10:28:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
He killed Osama, he can say anything he wants and I'll agree.
View Quote
No, he didn't.

The actual shooter prefers to remain a silent professional.

The guys who captured Saddam have a totally different view on HD weapons selection, and they shoot a lot more shotgun than Dev.

They don't recommend shotguns.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 10:28:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Seems to me like if you factor in possible body armor issues, you may want to choose the rifle.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 10:31:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Bolt action rifles aren't terribly hard to manipulate either. That doesn't make them a smart choice.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sure he's BTDT. So it stands to reason he's well trained and tempered under fire and will never short-stroke or fumble a reload, anticipate recoil, etc while under duress.

Joe-blow America who has not been tested under fire would be better off with a magazine-fed rifle.
Bolt action rifles aren't terribly hard to manipulate either. That doesn't make them a smart choice.
Bolt action rifles are not a smart choice. Pump shotguns are a very smart choice.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 10:31:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote
Maybe they just like to go canoeing bro
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 10:32:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

He (Stern) has also said that Hillary was a better choice than Trump, that his FBI buddies all hate Trump, that they all had Comey's back, that they're just about ready to lead the FBI in a coup against Trump.....

Stern's show can be entertaining at times, and he's in favor of people having the right to own guns for self defense... as long as they're subject to "reasonable regulation."

He's no friend to the gun owner.
View Quote
You must listen to the show more because I heard him say his FBI buddies liked Comey and they said he was a good guy. Never heard Sten say those FBI guys hated Trump or are about ready for a coup. I'd like to hear that interview.

I know he is for the cunt and some gun regs but I wasn't commenting about that because I wasn't asked about any of the points you brought up just that stern has been talking guns and fbi and seals friends at the same time. Hard to believe those aren't the guys he is getting gun info from.

I agree being for background checks is darn near being an anti but if the .gov was for confiscation or something like that he would go on air and be against it. Thats something
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 10:33:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 10:36:37 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Anybody saying that a shotgun is inadequate for HD is a fool.
View Quote
No fucking shit, right?  I'm sitting here thinking, "that was one big ass boat that I missed."

I have a nasty SOB of a shotgun too.  It holds 7 rounds of "ack right."  HAHA!!
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 10:40:23 PM EDT
[#23]
OP: You realize O'Neill didn't kill Bin Laden, right?

He is also described by guys from that Unit as a seeker of the spotlight, deviated from his assigned clearance route in the objective so he could try to get a shot at Bin Laden.  A show-boater.

People in units like that don't like it when one of their own violates their trust and writes a book about what they do, goes on TV to talk about it, or any other schemes to shine attention on themselves.

Especially when they make claims about where they were, what they did, that falsely describe the event, which shouldn't be discussed in the first place, it's not exactly the reputation you build off of to "settle" arguments on weapons selection.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 10:43:58 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 10:44:22 PM EDT
[#25]
Asking people who use firearms in life or death situations for opinions is like asking attorneys who practiced before the Supreme Court for opinions.  You are likely to get as many differing opinions as people you ask for their opinions.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 10:47:29 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

He is also described by guys from that Unit as a seeker of the spotlight, deviated from his assigned clearance route in the objective so he could try to get a shot at Bin Laden.  A show-boater.

People in units like that don't like it when one of their own violates their trust and writes a book about what they do, goes on TV to talk about it, or any other schemes to shine attention on themselves.

Especially when they make claims about where they were, what they did, that falsely describe the event, which shouldn't be discussed in the first place, it's not exactly the reputation you build off of to "settle" arguments on weapons selection.
View Quote
Ok...since you have brought it up twice and noone has asked you to back up your statement, I'll bite. So if he didn't kill him, then why doesn't Bissonette come out and say it wasn't him.  I mean, they both want attention right?  And why don't we hear a little something publically about other seals being mad at him for making a false claim?  

I know they don't want to talk about it but someone somewhere besides arfcom would be saying this.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 10:47:47 PM EDT
[#27]
Double tap
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 10:49:42 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

GD has Nutnfancy and YouTube videos and their emotional
Investment in muh tactical training and muh tactical gear
View Quote
Agreed, I'd hate to have to go up against him even armed with a spoon and me with a Tier-1 SBR. Honestly, a shotgun in the hands of someone who's trained, is mooooooore than enough. I still have a light-equipped 870 in my house for such purposes; it may not be the first thing I grab but both my wife and I know how to use it.

I'm sure Rob's Mossy isn't your run of the mill Wal-Mary special. Not to mention, I'm sure he has other stuff at his disposal he won't talk about. I sure as shit wouldn't.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 10:50:15 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

You must listen to the show more because I heard him say his FBI buddies liked Comey and they said he was a good guy. Never heard Sten say those FBI guys hated Trump or are about ready for a coup. I'd like to hear that interview.

I know he is for the cunt and some gun regs but I wasn't commenting about that because I wasn't asked about any of the points you brought up just that stern has been talking guns and fbi and seals friends at the same time. Hard to believe those aren't the guys he is getting gun info from.

I agree being for background checks is darn near being an anti but if the .gov was for confiscation or something like that he would go on air and be against it. Thats something
View Quote
He didn't say it in an interview, he just said it as a part of one of his normal morning rants.  I listen for an hour (plus or minus) during my morning commute.  From seven until I pull into the office parking lot.  I used to really like Stern's show - I'm talking back in the nineties and early 2000's, before he went satellite.  He used to try a lot harder to be entertaining.  He still has his moments, and he's still probably the most talented interviewer on the air, but I've noticed that he talks over his guests a lot more than he used to, and he's a lot more in tune with liberal politics and politicians, whereas he used to be more libertarian.  He said that according to his FBI friends, Trump made a ton of enemies when he fired Comey.  He (and Robin) have basically parroted all the liberal talking points about Russia, about election tampering... even about "I Like To Grab Them By The Pussy"-gate.   I want to call him and tell him to shut up about politics, and get back to being an entertainer.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 10:50:17 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote
The OP blew right on past "autistic" with the OP.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 10:52:25 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
why do you hate your ears so much? Those things suck. 
View Quote
What does a weapon mounted flashlight have to do with his ears?  
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 10:55:01 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Except that there are been there done that guys on this board that will take an AR over a shotgun for most situations.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 10:55:06 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote
No I'm drunk and stupid. Please, flagellate my stupid hide. I will die surrounded by useless 5.556 brass.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 10:56:31 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 10:57:24 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
No I'm drunk and stupid. Please, flagellate my stupid hide. I will die surrounded by useless 5.556 brass.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Drunk
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 10:57:38 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
It's actually very easy.

The premise is that because he was from that community, that he's competent about firearms selection and application for HD.

He's still clearly in the "heard from cleatus behind the gun counter, so shotgun for HD it is" category.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's actually very easy.

You must have never been there and done that.

You must be a fool thinking a early century ballistic design and weapons platforms are antiquated and have been surpassed.

You must be drunk and stupid like me.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 10:58:32 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 10:59:44 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
These threads remind me of the Guns and Ammo article written by some cowboy action shooter talking about what a great idea single action cowboy guns were for trying to shoot it out with burglars.

Just because you're really in love with a dumbass gun doesn't make it any less dumb because "it's probably good enough." There are probably skeet shooters who go on about how Jack Ryan fought IRA terrorists with a double barrel Beretta.
View Quote
Really?
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 11:00:24 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Drunk
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Drunk
Mobile, but feel free to regale us with your extensive resume and experience as you've asked for mine to qualify my opinion, instead of engaging in straw-men or insults.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 11:01:27 PM EDT
[#40]
Shouldn't we poll the other eight guys who shot UBL, subtract any ban state residents and then finally see if more pick shotgun or rifle?
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 11:03:29 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Ok...since you have brought it up twice and noone has asked you to back up your statement, I'll bite. So if he didn't kill him, then why doesn't Bissonette come out and say it wasn't him.  I mean, they both want attention right?  And why don't we hear a little something publically about other seals being mad at him for making a false claim?  

I know they don't want to talk about it but someone somewhere besides arfcom would be saying this.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They both shot Bin Laden's dead corpse after the real 1-man shot him.  That guy isn't talking, wants to stay quiet and continue to do his job.

O'Neill canoed Bin Laden's head as he lay there dead already, making PID for intel people not on sight more difficult, and Bissionette pumped rounds into his chest.  It's the kind of behavior I would expect from undisciplined PFC's in some sub-standard unit with poor NCOs, not an SMU.

The whole thning is clown shoes B-rate circus with no tricks, just drunk clowns.

You know who officially got Saddam?  4th Infantry Division.  Even to the extent that all the google images have been cropped to cut out those 4th ID soldiers' KAC MRE handguards.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 11:03:29 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Why exactly would a pump shotgun be better than something like an Enfield No. 5 MK1?
View Quote
Pretty sure over-penetration would be a real concern with a .303. Also, in my hands at least, the shotgun would be far faster to manipulate between shots. HD shotguns would be shorter overall (18.5" barrels), and lighter too. It's no big trick putting an extended mag tube and a light on the shotgun either. Anyway, I personally prefer to use one of my carbines for HD, and I'm not asserting that a shotgun is superior to that. All I'm saying is that a properly set-up shotgun is perfectly viable in that role and that all these guys making fun of people who use them are mouth breathers and navel-gazers. I know what the shotgun can do. I've seen it myself up close. If my carbines went on strike I'd grab the Benelli and sleep just as well.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 11:05:55 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

An experienced duck or goose hunter can, using a 12ga 3", 3 1/2" or 3 1/2" 10ga drop two or even thee ducks or geese at a time, with capacity limited to three rounds by federal law for migratory birds... International trap and skeet are doubles games... But somehow the recoil of a shotgun becomes prohibitive when some ahole is in your house? Really, sissies?

And somehow that pump shotgun the duck and goose or dove hunter or deer hunter has shot thousands of times at clays and birds, deer, maybe rabbits, squirrels, quail, crows and other stuff suddenly becomes too complex to shuck? Please... And btw, the greater the recoil the easier and quicker to cycle.

Thousands of deer are killed with shotguns every year, many in states where 223/5.56 is illegal because it is believed insufficiently lethal for quick, humane kills... And I'll point out that the U.S. investigated the high incidence of head shots in Iraq, discovering, again, that the 5.56 is not a reliable stopper in CQB and that soldiers and marines were using an extra round to ensure their targets were stopped...
View Quote
I'm going to pray your wild incorrect assertion is from ignorance or trolling. Because that report was triggered by soldiers with better optics being enabled to take exposure shots compared to their peers with lesser equipment.

Btw 5.56 wasn't going through skinnies in Mog with no effect. They were missing 
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 11:07:52 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Mobile, but feel free to regale us with your extensive resume and experience as you've asked for mine to qualify my opinion, instead of engaging in straw-men or insults.
View Quote
Did I say anything that requires a resume?

You are the one that questioned the ability and the reasoning for not carrying a pistol of the guy who shot bin laden.

You stepped in it and instead of stepping out you jumped in.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 11:08:06 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote
I reckon if it's 5.556, it may very well BE useless...
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 11:09:18 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

You are the one that questioned the ability and the reasoning for not carrying a pistol of the guy who shot bin laden.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The man who shot Bin laden?
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 11:12:00 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 11:12:34 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote
Jesus.  You do realize civilians aren't limited to creating icepick wounds with military issue rounds, right?  Do you have any idea what people do to the insides of deer with expanding and reliably fragmenting .224 bullets at 2600fps?  You should hang out in the ammunition forum more.  
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 11:13:11 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Anybody saying that a shotgun is inadequate for HD is a fool.
View Quote
I like your style.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 11:16:09 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
In any situation where over-penetration is a concern EFFECTIVE shotgun rounds have the same over-penetration concerns as HD rifle rounds.

The No 5 Mk1 has an 18.8 inch barrel. It weighs 7.1lbs, the action is super fast, and it has a 10round detachable mag.

So why is one super smart and one not smart?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pretty sure over-penetration would be a real concern with a .303. Also, in my hands at least, the shotgun would be far faster to manipulate between shots. HD shotguns would be shorter overall (18.5" barrels), and lighter too.
In any situation where over-penetration is a concern EFFECTIVE shotgun rounds have the same over-penetration concerns as HD rifle rounds.

The No 5 Mk1 has an 18.8 inch barrel. It weighs 7.1lbs, the action is super fast, and it has a 10round detachable mag.

So why is one super smart and one not smart?
Do you want the truth or do you want to talk shit?

According to extensive audiological investigation, the racking sound of a common shotgun is 84 decibels, while a bolt action, especially of the pull angle of a Lee Enfield only produces 67-72 decibels.

As a result, the shotgun has at the very least over 10 decibels of pants-shitting, slide-racking, click-clacking, advantage.
Page / 14
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top