Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 14
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 7:25:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
nice, I'd be curious to see how those stack up to others. 
View Quote
From my Personal Experience

KAC CQB > AAC Mini 4 > Surefire Mini

Recently acquired some Brevis cans in a larger lot, so I'm actually interested in testing those out.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 7:30:09 PM EDT
[#2]
My opinion: Previous training is more important than any other circumstance when choosing shotgun vs rifle.

Like me, if you were trained in the military on the M4 and spent a good deal of time carrying and shooting the M4, but the Corps never trained you on shotguns at all, an AR pattern rifle is probably a better choice.

If you spent a lot of your life shooting shotguns while hunting or skeet shooting, and feel very familiar and intuitive with a shotgun, but never had formal carbine training, a shotgun is probably a better choice.

I spent several years carrying and shooting an M4. So if Alex Jones turns out to be right and interdimensional shapeshifting pedophile vampires kick down my door, I'll grab the AR15.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 7:30:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

He said the feds helped him relocate, didn't say witness protection or anything in detail but kinda seemed like something like that.

He also said something like the next person he will kill will be in his house.
View Quote
It comes across as an obvious bullshit reply to me.

I just don't believe he's that stupid.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 7:30:20 PM EDT
[#4]
He also said he stopped carrying pistols in combat, but does like the p320.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 7:32:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Anybody saying that a shotgun is inadequate for HD is a fool.
View Quote
Seconded
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 7:32:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
why do you hate your ears so much? Those things suck. 
View Quote
Even though he was talking about the flashlight, the reality is the muzzle report at your ears won't be any louder than the port pop with a full sized can, so it's a wash.  Either way it will sound about like firing a 22lr in your house.  A little painful but better than a 12ga and not your biggest problem that day.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 7:33:23 PM EDT
[#7]
He lives out West.

He's way more worried about Grizzlies kicking in his door than ISIS.

12ga Slugs > 5.56 for Yogi's

Link Posted: 7/18/2017 7:40:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
In before rustedace
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 7:41:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
There's a difference between a former Navy Seal with a shotgun and an average Joe with no training with a shotgun for home defense, just saying.
View Quote
And the only difference between a SEAL and an average Joe with an AR is the gun, right?
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 7:42:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

That's why I chose this for my first GD thread

I mean the dude that killed Usama bin Mohammed bin Awad bin Laden agrees with me
View Quote
I thought he was the guy who played Spenser: for Hire?
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 7:42:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
I didn't hear that, He said when he did carry a pistol he used to carry a Sig (assuming his time in it would have been the 226) and when Stern asked something like  "why a Sig, I thought they jammed?" O'Neill said because they won a .gov contract. Then went on to say he liked the Sig but because of the altitude he worked in he didn't think a pistol was worth the extra weight.  

Edit: He says he LOVED The Sig and he had no problems with the Sig.

No 320 talk
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 7:43:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Even though he was talking about the flashlight, the reality is the muzzle report at your ears won't be any louder than the port pop with a full sized can, so it's a wash.  Either way it will sound about like firing a 22lr in your house.  A little painful but better than a 12ga and not your biggest problem that day.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
why do you hate your ears so much? Those things suck. 
I know, I corrected myself, missed the "scout" part. 

But I can shoot mag after mag with my AAC full size cans and be fine, but 10 rounds through the surefire mini will leave me ringing for hours. I know "science" and all that, but there has to be something else coming into factor with it vs an ejection port noise, such as SPL's. 

Is it better than no can, yes. Is it hearing safe-ish, not in my experience. But I don't claim to be an expert either, just saying what I've noticed in person. 
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 7:43:09 PM EDT
[#13]
the capacity tidbit seems pretty relevant...

and what if one 'needs' barrier penetration...

the AR pattern can easily spit a lot more than 5.56... esp for HD...  

.277wolv, .300blk, .458soc, .450bush, 50beo
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 7:45:15 PM EDT
[#14]
But.....a guy at the range said I could walk through my house racking the slide on an empty shotgun and it would make the bad guys fall down catatonic in a pool of their own pee.

......that's what he said.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 7:51:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Recently acquired some Brevis cans in a larger lot, so I'm actually interested in testing those out.
View Quote
What do you think about the full sized surefire cans? I really like their mounting system but I've never had a chance to hear them in comparison to SiCo/AAC etc @narphenal
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 7:53:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote
You are going to meet plenty of them in this thread.  Muh 22 caliber is da shizzle
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 7:56:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

What do you think about the full sized surefire cans? I really like their mounting system but I've never had a chance to hear them in comparison to SiCo/AAC etc @narphenal
View Quote
Surefire is my favorite rifle can for 556. They are overpriced for what they are, and most people are better served with other options.

If I couldn't own surefire, I would have a Dead Air Sandman S or Saker ASR 556K.

If I wanted a versatile can I would go with the SilencerCo Omega.

Surefire are usually louder than similar cans, but usually are shorter. I don't really evaluate my cans on a dB basis, but more as a total package. In my experience, the Omega is usually the best can for the average guy, but if you're doing high round count firing that's where I would recommend Sandman/Saker.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 7:57:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Having used a surefire 556 full size and mini, aac m42k, aac sdn6, and sico saker side by side, I'm going to have to say AAC>SiCo>surefire. Even then, the SiCo saker is a really tight race with the AAC. The surefire was so loud, the owner went and bought AAC's not long after. The surefire mini was just painful without ear pro. 

ETA..Not trying to start an argument narphenal, just giving my opinion. If shorter is more important, then I see your stance. 
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 8:01:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Surefire is my favorite rifle can for 556. They are overpriced for what they are, and most people are better served with other options.

If I couldn't own surefire, I would have a Dead Air Sandman S or Saker ASR 556K.

If I wanted a versatile can I would go with the SilencerCo Omega.

Surefire are usually louder than similar cans, but usually are shorter. I don't really evaluate my cans on a dB basis, but more as a total package. In my experience, the Omega is usually the best can for the average guy, but if you're doing high round count firing that's where I would recommend Sandman/Saker.
View Quote
Thank you for the in depth reply. I am looking to get my first can and that is kind of where I was at. If it's slightly louder but has a better mounting system or 'total package' I would be good with that. It is also going on a 10.3, so I would like to keep it pretty compact. Appreciate it!
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 8:12:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Some people crave attention & praise.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

O'Neill has a legitimate reason to believe his life is in danger from a whole fucking religion and he chooses a shotgun first but hey you #nevershotgunners keep ranting.

So, he tells the world his HD setup plus their locations and you believe him?
Some people crave attention & praise.
The guy was on the team that killed OBL and you guys are shitting on him?  WTFO

He and everyone else involved deserve to live the lives of Kings in America.

SMH
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 8:20:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 8:28:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yep!!!!
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 8:29:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

But mostly it's hard to look like an Opr8r when you post a dozen pics of your HD kit when you've got an 870 instead of a MK18A28 Mod 1186.8 sitting on a pile of the worlds cleanest multicam gear.
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 8:40:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Some SEAL on m4carbine said to shoot burglars with birdshot . Guessing they don't use shotguns in fights much.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

IDK, its kinda hard to argue with a real life been there, done that guy
Some SEAL on m4carbine said to shoot burglars with birdshot . Guessing they don't use shotguns in fights much.
#StayInYourLane
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 8:43:58 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I didn't hear that, He said when he did carry a pistol he used to carry a Sig (assuming his time in it would have been the 226) and when Stern asked something like  "why a Sig, I thought they jammed?" O'Neill said because they won a .gov contract. Then went on to say he liked the Sig but because of the altitude he worked in he didn't think a pistol was worth the extra weight.  

No 320 talk
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No 320 talk
So you're saying the .mil personality whose advice you idolize stopped carrying a pistol because his cardio was so shit/he was too high speed meanwhile grunt fucks hump at that altitude all day long? But they were higher drag so pistols we're otayy.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 8:50:01 PM EDT
[#26]
He's a soulless ginger I'll never trust what he says.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 8:50:19 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

IDK, its kinda hard to argue with a real life been there, done that guy
View Quote
Sure he's BTDT. So it stands to reason he's well trained and tempered under fire and will never short-stroke or fumble a reload, anticipate recoil, etc while under duress.

Joe-blow America who has not been tested under fire would be better off with a magazine-fed rifle.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 8:56:54 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
So you're saying the .mil personality whose advice you idolize stopped carrying a pistol because his cardio was so shit/he was too high speed meanwhile grunt fucks hump at that altitude all day long? But they were higher drag so pistols we're otayy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No 320 talk
Do you have any idea how stupid you sound saying that I am speaking for O'Neill

It was what HE SAID IN THE INTERVIEW.

And for you, who are you? To judge him when you have no idea what his job was when he made that choice is comical.

Link Posted: 7/18/2017 8:57:26 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Sorry, he lost me at Robert O’Neill....

View Quote
FIFY
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 8:57:33 PM EDT
[#30]
Think I'll stick with my SR15 over a shotgun.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 9:01:57 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

And for you, who are you? To judge him when you have no idea what his job was when he made that choice is comical.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No 320 talk

Case and point your assumptions off of a personality interview. Your entire thread.

If you want to build straw men, please provide who you are first. I'm sure you won't, but I'll extend myself first, I am not employed by the United States Armed Force's or any Other governmental agency.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 9:03:19 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Sure he's BTDT. So it stands to reason he's well trained and tempered under fire and will never short-stroke or fumble a reload, anticipate recoil, etc while under duress.

Joe-blow America who has not been tested under fire would be better off with a magazine-fed rifle.
View Quote
I don't agree, SG are not so terribly hard to manipulate and people kill each other every damn day, why do some feel it is this monumental task. Have you ever looked at the mug shots of all these people killing other people or even the people that successfully defended themselves with lethal force they aren't exactly tier 1 operators yet they get the job done.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 9:04:49 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Case and point your assumptions off of a personality interview. Your entire thread.

If you want to build straw men, please provide who you are first. I'm sure you won't, but I'll extend myself first, I am not employed by the United States Armed Force's or any Other governmental agency.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No 320 talk

Are you drunk?
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 9:06:18 PM EDT
[#34]
I like shotguns. Think they could be just fine. Doesn't mean they are ideal. Just because one bad mother fucker uses one for home defense doesn't mean it's ideal.

I know a recon marine that carries a 22 revolver too. Doesn't mean it's the best choice.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 9:06:28 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I don't agree, SG are not so terribly hard to manipulate and people kill each other every damn day, why do some feel it is this monumental task. Have you ever looked at the mug shots of all these people killing other people or even the people that successfully defended themselves with lethal force they aren't exactly tier 1 operators yet they get the job done.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bolt action rifles aren't terribly hard to manipulate either. That doesn't make them a smart choice.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 9:06:57 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Are you drunk?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No 320 talk

Are you drunk?
Not yet, but if I #ShotGunned I'm sure I'd be Tier-Drunk.

Eta# Who are you?
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 9:07:04 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

The thread started well past autistic, it's full blown retarded to begin with.
View Quote
But muh 8 round capacity or less and manual manipulation!
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 9:14:22 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Eta# Who are you?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No 320 talk

Are you drunk?

Eta# Who are you?
You assumed what type of interview it was while accusing me of assuming what he said or felt.

Sure, I did assume one point but also clearly said it was my opinion.

But that wasn't even what triggered you lol

I'm embarrassed for you.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 9:22:59 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Are you drunk?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No 320 talk

Are you drunk?
For his sake, I hope so, cause he can wake up sober instead of still stupid.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 9:26:52 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No 320 talk

Are you drunk?
Question for you @JPK, when I wake up will shotguns still be the superior self defense tool, or will AR-15s? Please advise, my stupidity needs correction.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 9:28:56 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote
Chick gets shot in chest with birdshot and just walks off.

https://youtu.be/_F_KuFzjOGA?t=1m14s
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 9:35:52 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I think if you did a poll of the entire membership, most of us would be in the AR camp.
View Quote
As you wish.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 9:38:47 PM EDT
[#43]
Oh Lawdy....Shitz about to get real in here
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 9:40:07 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Chick gets shot in chest with birdshot and just walks off.

https://youtu.be/_F_KuFzjOGA?t=1m14s
View Quote
Story says he killed one guy and wounded another with the same shot and wounded one more person with a second shot.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 9:49:23 PM EDT
[#45]
I like my ARs, and my shotguns.

An experienced duck or goose hunter can, using a 12ga 3", 3 1/2" or 3 1/2" 10ga drop two or even thee ducks or geese at a time, with capacity limited to three rounds by federal law for migratory birds... International trap and skeet are doubles games... But somehow the recoil of a shotgun becomes prohibitive when some ahole is in your house? Really, sissies?

And somehow that pump shotgun the duck and goose or dove hunter or deer hunter has shot thousands of times at clays and birds, deer, maybe rabbits, squirrels, quail, crows and other stuff suddenly becomes too complex to shuck? Please... And btw, the greater the recoil the easier and quicker to cycle.

Thousands of deer are killed with shotguns every year, many in states where 223/5.56 is illegal because it is believed insufficiently lethal for quick, humane kills... And I'll point out that the U.S. investigated the high incidence of head shots in Iraq, discovering, again, that the 5.56 is not a reliable stopper in CQB and that soldiers and marines were using an extra round to ensure their targets were stopped...
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 9:50:34 PM EDT
[#46]
He probably lives somewhere where an AR is forbidden, hence the shotgun.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 9:52:02 PM EDT
[#47]
So can I use my m1 super 90 for HD?
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 9:52:57 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Story says he killed one guy and wounded another with the same shot and wounded one more person with a second shot.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Ybarra shot Paul Lee in the back of the head with a double-barreled shotgun outside Otto Miller Hall. Some of the shot pellets struck Thomas Fowler, who was standing several feet away.
link
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 9:53:03 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I like my ARs, and my shotguns.

An experienced duck or goose hunter can, using a 12ga 3", 3 1/2" or 3 1/2" 10ga drop two or even thee ducks or geese at a time, with capacity limited to three rounds by federal law for migratory birds... International trap and skeet are doubles games... But somehow the recoil of a shotgun becomes prohibitive when some ahole is in your house? Really, sissies?

And somehow that pump shotgun the duck and goose or dove hunter or deer hunter has shot thousands of times at clays and birds, deer, maybe rabbits, squirrels, quail, crows and other stuff suddenly becomes too complex to shuck? Please... And btw, the greater the recoil the easier and quicker to cycle.

Thousands of deer are killed with shotguns every year, many in states where 223/5.56 is illegal because it is believed insufficiently lethal for quick, humane kills... And I'll point out that the U.S. investigated the high incidence of head shots in Iraq, discovering, again, that the 5.56 is not a reliable stopper in CQB and that soldiers and marines were using an extra round to ensure their targets were stopped...
View Quote
A.22caliber carbine is the only weapon you can trust your life to.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 9:57:00 PM EDT
[#50]
He killed Osama, he can say anything he wants and I'll agree.
Page / 14
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top