Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 7/9/2017 4:54:18 PM EDT
I was watching a documentary of the armed Hueys and Cobras of the Vietnam War, and much was made of the 2.75 inch rockets as aerial artillery. Just how much damage could those do? How effective were they?
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 4:55:29 PM EDT
[#1]
I imagine you would a bad day if one hit you in the face.
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 4:59:27 PM EDT
[#2]
@Snake_driver
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 5:01:11 PM EDT
[#3]
OST!
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 5:02:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
@Snake_driver
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 5:02:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
@Snake_driver
View Quote
+1 since he fired a whole lot of them over there.

In case you didn't know, they put HEAT warheads on them and used them to take out NVA armor too.
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 5:03:29 PM EDT
[#6]
When you're deaded, it doesn't matter what got you.
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 5:03:32 PM EDT
[#7]
They were pretty effective in Iraq when I was slinging em... that is if I could hit what I was aiming at.

ETA there's a reason why the design/warheads haven't changed until recently to be laser guided.
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 5:04:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
@Snake_driver
View Quote
My same thought.
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 5:05:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 5:05:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Flechette

nails...
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 5:07:51 PM EDT
[#11]
1944 FFAR ROCKET DESTRUCTIVE TESTS OF ARMOR PLATING WWII 76744
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 5:12:15 PM EDT
[#12]
The TF little birds still use them, at least they did when I was messing with that stuff. They're no longer in the inventory and they had to be procured as needed to maintain inventory. So that says something about the 2.75s
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 5:15:44 PM EDT
[#13]
They were unguided and were fired in salvos making firing 2.75s much like firing a shotgun.  A whole pod of 2.75s would be fired at a target in hopes of one hitting close enough to do damage.  The 2.75 FFAR (Folding Fin Aerial Rocket) was originally designed as an air to air weapon for early jets like F-80s to use against Soviet bombers.  Accuracy was only enough to allow the fighter to sit back out of range of the bomber's guns and hose down the bomber with explosive rockets.

Individually they were like a rocket propelled stick of dynamite.  If you weren't where it hit, you were probably good to go.

If you were targeted by a salvo you were going to get hit, just like being missed by a single bullet versus a cloud of buckshot flying at you.

Mk 4/Mk 40 Folding-Fin Aerial Rocket
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 5:19:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
@Snake_driver
View Quote
I knew one of you bastards would remember his name. I couldn't.

I am wondering what level of effectiveness they had. Obviously, there was more explosive power than a grenade. I'm sure the shotgun effect mentioned here and that is obvious on helo videos worked, as well. Lots of near misses can be almost as effective as a hit, when it comes to such things, it seems.
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 5:30:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 5:39:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
The TF little birds still use them, at least they did when I was messing with that stuff. They're no longer in the inventory and they had to be procured as needed to maintain inventory. So that says something about the 2.75s
View Quote
Thought they just called them 70mm now... https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydra_70

Also, lasers!
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Precision_Kill_Weapon_System
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 5:45:27 PM EDT
[#17]
View Quote
My association with those units is back in the 90's so they certainly may have upgraded. Only makes sense. I do remember talking to one of the support folks and they were talking about ordering 2.75 rockets from one of the arsenals as they no longer were in production. So I'm assuming that at that time the little birds were using the same rockets as Vietnam.

Same for .45ACP. They would order 5 million rounds of brown box match at a whack and that would last a few years.
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 5:56:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Bottom of paragraph 8 after the title in bold references them

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1124952_The_Rescue_of_Ranger_Team_76___A_Cobra_Tale.html

In a later paragraph

"The 2.75 in dia. warhead on the rockets had an explosive capability similar to a 105 mm artillery round. "
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 6:00:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
They were unguided and were fired in salvos making firing 2.75s much like firing a shotgun.  A whole pod of 2.75s would be fired at a target in hopes of one hitting close enough to do damage.  The 2.75 FFAR (Folding Fin Aerial Rocket) was originally designed as an air to air weapon for early jets like F-80s to use against Soviet bombers.  Accuracy was only enough to allow the fighter to sit back out of range of the bomber's guns and hose down the bomber with explosive rockets.

Individually they were like a rocket propelled stick of dynamite.  If you weren't where it hit, you were probably good to go.

If you were targeted by a salvo you were going to get hit, just like being missed by a single bullet versus a cloud of buckshot flying at you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yh7g2xFntWQ
View Quote
Unless you are an F6F-5K Drone that decides to go off sightseeing.  Then, you are totally safe.

Battle of Palmdale
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 6:00:31 PM EDT
[#20]
I was attached to one of the two ARA (Aerial Rocket Artillery) units ever created.  We were Blue Max, initially there were 3 batteries of 2/20th Artillery created for support of the 1st Cavalry.  Later when the 1st Cav. started departing Vietnam and only th 3rd Brigade remained as Task Force Garry Owen, we were redesignated F Battery, 79th Artillery.  4th of the 77th ARA "Griffins" were up north attached to the 101st Airborne.

We used heavy hog Cobras armed with 4-19 shot 2.75" FFAR's pods, so that would equal around 76 rockets in each ship.  We flew in groups of 2, 3 or 4 ships and used high angle of attack diving fire.  Most dives would exceed 60 degrees down angle, usually closer to 75 degrees.  With that we were very accurate with our fire and were allowed to fire "Danger Close" (within 50 meters) in support of ground troops in contact.  

The HE (High Explosive) rockets came in two varieties, 10 lb. and 17 lb.  The more popular was the 17 lb. that supposed to be close in destructive power to a 105mm cannon round.  There were several different fuses, proximity, delay and contact.  The delay-fuze tore-up bunkers like crazy.  We rarely used the 10 lb. rockets, since bigger is better.  There were also willie-pete rockets and flechette rockets that were very popular.  Occasionally we fired CS rockets too.

In 1972 during the Eastertide Offensive when the rolled out of the woods in Division strength a la Warsaw Pact with hundreds of T-54 & 55 main battle tanks Blue Max succeeded in defeating scores of tanks.  We were the first Cobra unit of the Vietnam War to do so.  We did so using 11 lb. HEAT (High Exposive Anti Tank)rockets "Black Beauties". They ate through the heavy armor and were very effective.  They weren't TOW's or Hellfire's, but did the job.  

We fired thousands & thousands of 2.75" rockets and felt that they were the best thing going on the Cobra, although I did like the 20mm Vulcan on one wing for extra reach against large caliber AAA weapons.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

17 lb. rockets inboard and flechettes outboard were a typical loadout.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 6:01:56 PM EDT
[#21]
Depending on Warhead.

A shit load of hurt.

Link Posted: 7/9/2017 6:11:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

"The 2.75 in dia. warhead on the rockets had an explosive capability similar to a 105 mm artillery round. "
View Quote
Also posted by Snake_Driver below. That's very eye-opening. Much heavier than I would have thought. 
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 6:12:29 PM EDT
[#23]
@Snake_driver

I was watching a documentary, specifically of the "heavy hog" units. Thank you very much your service to our country, and for sharing.
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 6:15:24 PM EDT
[#24]
We fired thousands & thousands of 2.75" rockets and felt that they were the best thing going on the Cobra, although I did like the 20mm Vulcan on one wing for extra reach against large caliber AAA weapons.

Did you guys ever use the 5 inch rockets?  How did they compare to the 2.75?
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 6:18:45 PM EDT
[#25]
2.75" rocket pod display.

Man Cave item
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 6:19:24 PM EDT
[#26]
View Quote
Willie Pete brought down a whole lot of hurt.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 6:22:49 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Also posted by Snake_Driver below. That's very eye-opening. Much heavier than I would have thought. 
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

When fired in volleys against the enemy, the effect was deadly.  Imagine being rained on by 8-10 105's at a time.  The HE fragmentation was a killer.  The delay fuze bunker-busters made a huge hole in the ground.
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 6:24:33 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Did you guys ever use the 5 inch rockets?  How did they compare to the 2.75?
View Quote
No I never fired anything bigger than the 2.75" rocket.
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 6:25:46 PM EDT
[#29]
While we are discussing Cobra's

Oats Studios - Volume 1 - Firebase

[warning! Contains heavy gore]

The chopper being levitated off the ground @ 2:41 is a later model right? It wouldn't have been flying around in 1970?

There is an air museum in Carson City that has an older model Cobra that they fly around from time to time.
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 6:27:58 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

No I never fired anything bigger than the 2.75" rocket.
View Quote
Have you written a book about your experiences?  Would love to read about it.
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 6:28:53 PM EDT
[#31]
I know that some of don't detonate and will stick out of the ground like a lawn dart.

I also know that not running them over is a good policy.
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 6:31:51 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 6:38:16 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Flechette

nails...
View Quote
More like high speed razor shaped nails. Isn't technology great.
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 6:49:26 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote
This. I'd buy it
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 6:51:51 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
This. I'd buy it
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This. I'd buy it
As would I.
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 6:52:28 PM EDT
[#36]
I'm in just to read @Snake_driver 's posts.  Dude has a ton of neat stories and info. 
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 6:56:41 PM EDT
[#37]
Years ago I read a book of stories from pilots, gunners, and other US aircrew about their experiences over Vietnam. It wasn't one of Matthew Brennan's books, but it was a similar theme. One of the stories had to do with a gunship covering the extraction of a surrounded LRRP team's surviving members.

They were firing rockets 'danger-close' to cover the team, and were soon out of 10lb rockets, but had a few 17-pounders left, so they rolled in and fired them very close to the team. Immediately after their run, the radio was filled with the screams of the wounded LRRPs, and the crew flew back to rearm, knowing that they had hit their own men.

The team had been extracted while they were refueling and rearming, so the pilot ran to the aid station, hoping to talk to someone. He found one and was almost in tears, but the LRRP told him not to worry. He told the pilot that they had never seen 17lb rockets hit before, so they stood up to watch the impacts.... and all caught shrapnel from the blasts.
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 7:05:03 PM EDT
[#38]
@snake_driver

Were those rockets fairly consistant? All fly in a straight line or would you get one that zig zaged off every so often like a bad RPG?
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 7:06:55 PM EDT
[#39]
nail your ass to a tree pretty quick

some Cobra pilots would fire a salvo horizontal to the front door of VC bunkers along the rivers we worked
that was always welcome.
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 7:10:08 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
While we are discussing Cobra's

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tm0V24IEHao

[warning! Contains heavy gore]

The chopper being levitated off the ground @ 2:41 is a later model right? It wouldn't have been flying around in 1970?

There is an air museum in Carson City that has an older model Cobra that they fly around from time to time.
View Quote
Where?

I have lived in Carson City for 13 years and never knew about an "Air Museum" around here.

The is the Carson Airport. Is it in there?
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 7:16:52 PM EDT
[#41]
Canadian defense establishment made them more better
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 7:20:18 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Where?

I have lived in Carson City for 13 years and never knew about an "Air Museum" around here.

View Quote
Cactus Air Force maybe? They have a Cobra.
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 7:21:56 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Where?

View Quote
Here you go.
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 7:24:38 PM EDT
[#44]
the rocket dispersion was usually based on pilot proficiency. They have a tendency to seek into relative wind. Even if you could eliminate all of the human and other external factors, the tubes in the pods don't all point true. The 58 only carried 7 shot pods and even those were all over the place... of course we used a grease spot on the windshield as reference.
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 7:28:01 PM EDT
[#45]
My cousin was an AO during Desert Storm, and said that 50-60% of the 70mm's never left the tube, or were duds.

He said that they were the only weapon system that scared the shit out him, and avoided working with them like the plague.
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 7:29:38 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
@Snake_driver

I was watching a documentary, specifically of the "heavy hog" units. Thank you very much your service to our country, and for sharing.
View Quote
+1
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 7:32:16 PM EDT
[#47]
I'm just here for the Snake_driver posts.
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 7:33:33 PM EDT
[#48]
As I'm sitting on the toilet at my Dads house and he's an old timey Recon Marine, I just yelled through the door and asked him.

His response?

"They fuck shit up really good."

So there's that.

Of course he's taken a back pill and is two drinks in, but still.
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 7:34:27 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
My cousin was an AO during Desert Storm, and said that 50-60% of the 70mm's never left the tube, or were duds.

He said that they were the only weapon system that scared the shit out him, and avoided working with them like the plague.
View Quote
My personal experience was more like 10%. Misfires were usually sketchy rockets to begin with. If I saw a rocket with the foil at the bottom of the motor torn, I was mostly certain it wouldn't fire. Other times, they would either not be seated all the way in the tube or the tube itself would be bad. I believe 3 bad tubes on a 7 shot pod was acceptable. That's why I personally checked each rocket that they loaded into my pods.
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 7:47:20 PM EDT
[#50]
Rambo First Blood 2 (1985) - Helicopter Attacking Scene (1080p) FULL HD

Answered for me years ago...
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top